On line booking shore excursion denied due age 70

DomerCruisers

I attempted to book a shore excursion on line  for an Oct. 2019 cruise on the Celebrity Constellation.  After completing the information requested and went to the pay now tab, I was denied booking the tour because my husband and I are both over 70.  Slightly over 70.  I was not able to proceed to check out.  I immediately called the Captain's Club to ask how this could be rectified Unfortunately the Captain's Club could not resolve the issue and directed me to send an email to ShoreX to see if this can be resolved.  The Captain's Club customer service person was also surprised and needed to consult with a supervisor.  I am still awaiting resolution.  I am shocked and appalled that Celebrity would put an age limit on their tours. This tour consists of taking a bus, walking in town and notes that there are several steps up to the Fort. We are able bodied and  fit and feel we can make our own decision regarding our ability to do this tour.     This tour indicates no one under 4 and no one over 70. I can completely understand the under 4 restriction.  Has anyone else encountered this age restriction issue?  How did your resolve it.?  

• Like 1

As others have said it is not uncommon to have age or for some excursions weight limitations.  Your best bet is to look for a independent tour operator who offers a similar tour, they are often better than the ships tour and cost less.

• Like 3

I had the same experience when trying to book an excursion on our forthcoming cruise to the Fjords, the excursion stated that it would be strenuous and not suitable for people over 65 years old and I'm a fit (hopefully) 67 year old. I thought that I would just chance it and try to book the excursion, it allowed the booking for my wife (under 65) and my son but not for me.  Although I regard myself to be pretty fit and do a lot of walking I just have to accept the age restrictions.

8 minutes ago, jdacombe said:

I had the same experience when trying to book an excursion on our forthcoming cruise to the Fjords, the excursion stated that it would be strenuous and not suitable for people over 65 years old and I'm a fit (hopefully) 67 year old. I thought that I would just chance it and try to book the excursion, it allowed the booking for my wife (under 65) and my son but not for me.  Although I regard myself to be pretty fit and do a lot of walking I just have to accept the age restrictions.

Well, I don't think that I would just 'accept it' without checking suitable alternatives that might be able to be booked privately.  Have you looked for a similar tour on the Ports-of-Call Boards, or TripAdvisor?

I remember trying to book a tour of a coffee plantation in Jamaica - it included a horse and cart ride. Wouldn’t let me book because my mum was 80 - but they let me book for her climbing Dunn’s Falls (she ended up just watching) and the bob sled ride at Mystic Mountain - that she did and loved it! 

Wendy

• Like 3

I know this is on the Vendor and not Celebrity but I'd love to see it challenged for age discrimation. They'd need to provide proof that a 70 year old couldn't do it.  I certainly can't get away with that at work.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Cruise Junky said:

I know this is on the Vendor and not Celebrity but I'd love to see it challenged for age discrimation. They'd need to provide proof that a 70 year old couldn't do it.  I certainly can't get away with that at work.

If the tour is outside of the US and that country does not have similar age protections to the US you likely have no legal recourse. Also, the restrictions are due to insurance purposes not because the operators don't like folks of a certain age. The operators are risk averse and age/weight restrictions are one way to counteract some liability.

Edited by JennyB1977
  • Like 6

We ran into the same issue when we attempted to book a snorkel trip on the Edge. Speaking with shorex was futile; risk management/legal reviewed all the vendors and tours a few years ago, including injury claims. Thus IMO, arbitrary age limits were set to keep their insurance carrier content. Both DH and I snorkel and scuba, I'm a gym rat and do at least 5 miles a day, 5x's week,  but at age 70 we were denied most of the snorkel tours, but one, walk from the beach into the water, ugh! If one is under 70, sedentary/obese/physically challenged, you are OK to sign up for the tour. Makes sense? 

Thankfully we found a private vendor who took us on an excellent snorkel trip, for half the price as Celebrity.

Darcy

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

The other option, may be, to book the excursion independently of X.

I understand if you are trying to use up OBC as part of the deal, yet this can be a very good work around and possibly a better experience.

bon voyage

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, JennyB1977 said:

If the tour is outside of the US and that country does not have similar age protections to the US you likely have no legal recourse. Also, the restrictions are due to insurance purposes not because the operators don't like folks of a certain age. The operators are risk averse and age/weight restrictions are one way to counteract some liability.

Connie would be in Europe in October 2019 and they have similar laws against discrimination based on age as North America.  Not saying it would work, but I'd love to see someone try. 

2 hours ago, DomerCruisers said:

This tour indicates no one under 4 and no one over 70. I can completely understand the under 4 restriction.

I don't--it's the same thing. Why can't I bring my slightly under 4-year-old who can walk and take stairs?

I am 65 and walk (according to my fitbit) and average of over 30,000 steps per day...I've seen people half my age who would have trouble keeping up with me (We were on a Galapagos cruise and a man much younger than me died of a coronary while snorkeling first day out).  OTOH, several years ago, we had a shorex in the Hermitage in St. Petersburg slow to a halt when a very elderly woman on the tour started complaining about the one flight of stairs.

Of course, the problem is that you cannot make generalizations about ages/physical condition.  But, unfortunately, the tour operators do.  And, we are in foreign countries which may not have the same discrimination laws--though, even in the US, there are some things you CAN limit--usually based on physical factors, not age.  For example, the reason that some excursions have weight limits is simply that the equipment being used (or animals in some cases, like horses) just aren't able to carry more than a certain amount of weight.

Unfortunately, nothing we can do about it...But I have heard where some people have booked shorexes while on the ship and the desk has neglected to ask the age, booked it anyway...and the person showed up at the tour and wasn't sent away.  Perhaps, if the person looked ill-equipped to do the tour, maybe they would have denied them.

For me, I'm just prepared that, when I find a tour that wants to restrict me by age, I will just find another tour--likely a non-cruise line excursion--which I try to do most places anyway.  And, one of these days, I may not be able to get around as well anymore...and still hope to be cruising...and I will gladly do alternative tours.  I don't want to slow down a tour for anyone else...

• Like 3

Sorry to say this but we do find the US cruise lines more paranoid re stuff like this and the cruise lines worrying about being sued for one reason or another. I think it is the world that you live in in the USA - I don't see this on UK cruise lines or UK companies for activities.  (yet)

NB personally I think it is a disgrace that someone can not book a tour for reasons of age ------------- is it me or is that age discrimination???????

I have noticed that very often on X shore excursions the descriptions state an age 70 limit (I've seen the limits applied to Beach Breaks that tamely involved only a bus ride to the beach, a lounge chair and a drink and a bus ride back). It is most unfortunate when the person trying to book is able, physically fit and has an excess amount of OBC to use, and then has to book with private tour operators using out of pocket money. Insurance liabilities of the X tour operators likely dictate the limitations, and I've not seen a liability waiver offered. In today's litigious society, unfortunately it is a common exception likely dictated by some insurance company's actuary. I think OP will be out of luck but hope I'm wrong. Good luck, and please come back with an update.

My partner (83) and I (77) are booked on the Reflection from Barcelona to Fort Lauderdale Nov. 5th of this year.  We booked our tours through Celebrity and did not encounter any problems.  That being said, we booked very easy tours that pretty much means  riding a bus and some light walking.  Not sure if we had booked something much more strenuous if the results would have been the same.  That being said we have sailed with Celebrity many times and have never encountered age restrictions.  Hope it works out for you and enjoy your cruise.

3 hours ago, dkjretired said:

Just curious but I wonder what would happen if you went to Shore Excursions desk on board if  they would book it there.  

Tried that, too. Rules are rules, policy is policy. We wanted to use the OBC, but Shorex said they cannot book anyone outside of the age parameters. 

Each cruise line tour states the physical ability level, but sadly, people don't read, don't care and take a tour that might put them is serious harm. They get injured, or worse, then hire the lawyers to get compensation. What ever happened to taking personal responsibility for one's choices? 

Darcy

• Like 2

5 hours ago, WatchHill said:

We ran into the same issue when we attempted to book a snorkel trip on the Edge. Speaking with shorex was futile; risk management/legal reviewed all the vendors and tours a few years ago, including injury claims. Thus IMO, arbitrary age limits were set to keep their insurance carrier content. Both DH and I snorkel and scuba, I'm a gym rat and do at least 5 miles a day, 5x's week,  but at age 70 we were denied most of the snorkel tours, but one, walk from the beach into the water, ugh! If one is under 70, sedentary/obese/physically challenged, you are OK to sign up for the tour. Makes sense? 

Thankfully we found a private vendor who took us on an excellent snorkel trip, for half the price as Celebrity.

Darcy

Darcy you are so correct. Mostly I have found age restrictions on snorkeling/diving and some long hiking tours. Likewise, although I'm age 73, I do CrossFit Wellness three days a week and walk 1-2 miles per day. Doesn't mean I couldn't keel over at anytime but,  I'm most likely in better physical shape than MANY I see on cruises that are 30 yrs younger than myself.

It is all about insurance company contentment which is also why I most often always take private tours: less expensive, much smaller groups, few restrictions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WatchHill said:

Tried that, too. Rules are rules, policy is policy. We wanted to use the OBC, but Shorex said they cannot book anyone outside of the age parameters. 

Each cruise line tour states the physical ability level, but sadly, people don't read, don't care and take a tour that might put them is serious harm. They get injured, or worse, then hire the lawyers to get compensation. What ever happened to taking personal responsibility for one's choices? 

Darcy

I was curious since their web site is not the best, maybe it wouldn't pick it up. 

Couple of months ago I reported that the web site had me going on a cruise on Jan 1, 2039 with over seven thousand days to go.  Still there, countdown is still on. 

Oh my- nobody want´s to take risks these days. If they state the excursion to tiring... well..! Slightly over 70- a triffle early to sign into a nursing home. My parents are that age- and I consider them realtivly fit for their age! 70- today is not what it was 20, 30 years ago!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Germancruiser said:

Oh my- nobody want´s to take risks these days. If they state the excursion to tiring... well..! Slightly over 70- a triffle early to sign into a nursing home. My parents are that age- and I consider them realtivly fit for their age! 70- today is not what it was 20, 30 years ago!

2 hours ago, Germancruiser said:

Well, with only 13 years left until they throw me in the dust bin, I guess I'd better do all my snorkeling, etc. now! 

Edited by Blazerboy
  • Haha 1

Andrew- Blazerboy- don´t you worry- dear old aunty did her snorkeling until late in her 80´s! So there is plenty of time before the dust bin! The good old girl just popped her cloggs earlier this year- the old plum made it to her 98th birthday!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1