Pin in broken arm under a cast - will this a problem at Security?

I had the exact type of surgical pins under a cast in my wrist/arm as it sounds like your son has. I was going to suggest you bring a copy of the x-ray which shows the pins, but I see you already mentioned you have a photo of the x-ray. 

Also, I suggest you talk to the orthopedic surgeon about your son’s permission to go in any of the pools. When I had the pins under my cast, I absolutely was warned against getting it wet AT ALL. Too much risk of infection. In fact, my cast was changed every 10 days to 2 weeks while healing so the dr could make sure there was no infections starting. 

I hope you all all can relax and enjoy your trip! 

8 hours ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

If you need to fly to the cruise it will be a big problem.....🤔

Completely wrong. I have two metal pins permanently installed. No problem flying at all. Just a few extra moments at security. 

8 hours ago, lovescats5 said:

It is interesting what sets the scanner off.  There are times I can pass thru the scanner and then the next time I set it off.  Kinda of like a lottery ticket, will I get win and just pass thru or lose and get wanded.  Anyway you look at it, it is all worth it to get on the ship and have some one take care of you for a week.

I once set an airport scanner off when I didn't have so much as a paper clip on me. When I commented on it to the security agent she told me that it's programmed to beep every however many people regardless of whether they have metal or not, as an additional random check measure. I don't know if that's the case at any other airports. 

16 hours ago, floridajan said:

My son broke his arm recently and they had to place a temporary pin in it during surgery to hold the bones together.  The pin is under a plaster arm cast.  We are scheduled to sail on the Navigator this Friday.  We would still like to go on our cruise - even if we cannot partake in any of the water activities on-board or at Coco Cay.  😞 It is our first cruise as Diamond. 

He doesn't get the cast off and the pin taken out until after we get back from our cruise.  Does anybody know if this pin will set off the metal detectors boarding the ship?  I am concerned as it is underneath a thick cast so there is no way for security to actually see the pin if he does set off the detector.  

I sent an email to the RCCL Special Needs Department asking them about this and am awaiting a response when they reopen tomorrow.  I was hoping someone here may have had experience with this sort of thing.  Anyone?  

Thanks so much! 

It should be titanium- which is no problem.  A call to the orthopedist will confirm that.  Have fun on your cruise!

A doctor’s note should cover it. I have a card I carry from my orthopedist stating that I have a hip replacement.  It used to set off the scanner regularly and I’d be wanded, which beeped when it got to my hip. Oddly, I haven’t set the scanner off at all lately - although I do let security know I might.  It’s actually kind of sad - I paid some $$$ for that hip...I liked hearing the beep! 😆😆😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Actually I have two screws in both of my big toes. They don´t set off the alarm at the airport. But all four screws are titaninum and therefore are not supposed to set the alarm off. So it depends on the material.

Get a doctor´s note for the pin and your son should be o.k.. He might be padded but that´s it.

steamboats

• Like 1

Same as others, I have had several metal pins in an ankle for 20+ years.  I will occasionally set off a metal detector, and they will "wand" it.  Shouldn't be a problem, especially since you can bring some medical info along with it too.  It's a good idea to bring along the photo of the xray or even to download a copy and bring it with you in the (very unlikely-I'm just super cautious) event that additional medical attention is needed on the trip.

I have about a dozen screws and plates in my elbow. It rarely sets off the metal detectors in airports and never on a cruise ship which is less sensitive.  My metal knee, yes all the time. The elbow never.

On 6/9/2019 at 4:29 PM, Ourusualbeach said:

Highly doubtful.

Indeed, people with hip replacements, shoulder replacements, knee replacements fly every single day.  Worst case scenario they will pat him down and wand him.  Hardly a big deal..

jc

I have titanium rods in both femurs and a plate on right ulna.  I dont set anything off .  First few flights after I carried a note from my docor tgst he wrote on a prescription pad and had it laminated.

Security doesn’t give a crap whether you have a note, card or X-ray signed by God herself.   Anything can be faked.  Do you really think that someone with unscrupulous intentions would need that?  

As for alarms going off for no reason...apparently perspiration can set it off too. 

On 6/9/2019 at 7:57 PM, floridajan said:

Thanks everyone!  If the pin sets the detector off, they can wand him and tell that something under his cast near his wrist is what is setting it off.  I am just not sure what they do from there - hopefully take me on my word that it is a metal surgical pin that is sticking out of his arm under the cast. For what it is worth, I have a photo of the x-ray showing the pin. 

You are overthinking this.  These days they generally use titanium which does not set off metal detectors.  I have a plate in my shoulder attached with 8 screws and 4 more longer screws, all put in a little over a year ago.  Since then, I've flown many times including several international trips, and also taken 4 or 5 cruises and have never set off a metal detector. 

As for waterproof cast covers, be very careful.  It's one think if a bone is broken and there's a cast, but no external wound or opening in the skin; you're just trying to keep the cast dry.  Your son however, has an open would on the skin where the pin protrudes so the risk of infection is much greater if water gets in.

If you have a concern that security won't believe you, get a note from the doctor.  I have a pacemaker and cannot go through the machines.  I simply tell them and they either pat me down or wand me from the waist down.  Only once have I had anyone in security ask to see me card with the device serial number.  Usually get a quick pat down when returning to the ship.  The up side is, I usually get through security a lot faster than the spousal unit as there isn't a line for a pat down :classic_biggrin:

7 hours ago, wendychloecruiser said:

Security doesn’t give a crap whether you have a note, card or X-ray signed by God herself.   Anything can be faked.  Do you really think that someone with unscrupulous intentions would need that?  

As for alarms going off for no reason...apparently perspiration can set it off too. 

Based on my experience...that is simply not true.  Might be a good idea to avoid making absolute statements...unless of course you are the DHS Secretary.  I have been asked for my Medtronic ID card and when had trouble finding it in my wallet (never had to produce it) was asked if I needed to step aside while I looked.