Cagneys/Le Bistro: HUGE price increases!

fstuff1

8 minutes ago, perditax said:

The economy has been in a record-long increase for the last decade. I’m kind of curious how things will shake out when the next recession hits and the oceans are full of newly built megaships. (I wasn’t cruising during the last real crash, but I assume there were some great deals to be had.)

There were some good deals then, but there were a lot less ships than there are now and they had less capacity.  I was in accounting then and our business increased 2008-2009 because people were looking for new and/or additional ways to earn money. I had no time to cruise again until 2010. 

5 hours ago, alreadypacked said:

Reality on our sailing was that the specialty restaurants were EMPTY!

Maybe people are making reservations and not showing up?

On the Escape I overheard several people talking about blowing off reservations, both for the restaurants and for one of the shows. It seems it's become common practice to book whatever you can when you get on and show up to whatever you feel like. I found this frustrating because by Monday the show I wanted to see was all 'sold out' for the week. Specialty dining booked up very quick also. I had an unrelated issue I needed to go to guest services about and to make it up to me they were going to try to get us a reservation for Le Bistro on the last night. The rep had to spend quite a few minutes on the phone, was able to come up with a time of 9:30 and told us we may have to wait since they are completely booked, totally fine. We show up to a restaurant with 1 other group in it and dozens of empty tables. 

Since they want to make extra money everywhere they can they should start with charging people for no shows. Every other passenger is inconvenienced by this 'rush to book then don't show up' mentality some others have.  A $5-$10 dollar charge per person for anyone who makes a reservation and doesn't even bother to call and cancel should give them some of the extra cash they are clamoring for while also making things better for everyone else on board. 

• Like 6

I have a cruise booked for 2020 (Norwegian Jade), and the dining packages pr person purchased through MyNCL still has the "old" prices. I just purchased a 5-days plan and paid $130,80 incl gratuity per person. On our last cruise we actually went mainly for a-la-carte prices in Le Bistro and Cagney's, as I recently realized that we often by coincidence end up having items on the menu that rarely even meet the dining package prices in total. But IF the increase in a-la-carte prices will be fleetwide like the menus in OP's post, then paying a-la-carte prices will NOT be an option anymore, at least not according to my vallet.... 

8 hours ago, FredT said:

Speaking of specialty venue's, we are booked on our first NCL cruise in over 20 years, so the whole specialty restaurant thing is confusing me.  We are on the Spirit (Small ship) and of their 4 specialty restaurants,  only two are listed in the "dining packages" on the NCL site.  (The others are all a la cart???) 

On a 21 night cruise I have no problem buying a package, but is it worth it?

You can use it in Cagneys, Le Bistro, La Trattoria and a Teppenyaki. I believe it may also cover the Sushi, but I’ve never used that so can’t say for sure.

16 hours ago, phissy said:

This is one thing that really bothers me about NCL.  No heads up, no warning....quietly overnight making big changes and hoping no one will notice or quietly accept it.   This seems to be their MO now.

Agree about the increase and I too, hate no warning. But to be honest, how many businesses let you know when they are going to make a decision to increase anything. I do think the specialty dining prices are getting crazy. You may see the company rethink this before long. I know they had not done much increasing for awhile, but this is insane. We do have the SDP and are plat plus, so we will be eating 2 meals in the MDR. 

In comparing NCL with our other favorite cruise lines, Celebrity and Royal Caribbean, one advantage NCL has over those lines has been the variety of specialty restaurants and the relatively inexpensive cost.  NO MORE.

Another reason to skip NCL with its absurd beverage package valuation of $99 per day with 20% gratuity.  We may never cruise NCL again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, newmexicoNita said:

don't know about Celebrity cause we haven't sailed them for quite a while, but don't expect any great specialty dinner prices on Princess!!! 

Celebrity's specialty restaurants are even more expensive than NCL, but the regular MDR food is so good that we never dine at the specialty on Celebrity.   Royal C's specialty restaurants are more reasonable and still excellent.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, 4774Papa said:

Celebrity's specialty restaurants are even more expensive than NCL, but the regular MDR food is so good that we never dine at the specialty on Celebrity.   Royal C's specialty restaurants are more reasonable and still excellent.

Does NCL have lunch specials at the specialty restaurants? BTW, Papa, I seem to recall sitting with you and your DW,  the "captain" and his DW + the  girls from down under at Murano's for lunch🤔....

10 minutes ago, TMLAalum said:

Does NCL have lunch specials at the specialty restaurants? BTW, Papa, I seem to recall sitting with you and your DW,  the "captain" and his DW + the  girls from down under at Murano's for lunch🤔....

Barb,

Not sure, but I think NCL does have lunch specials.  We dine at the specialty restaurants in the evening more on NCL, but can't remember about lunch?

This puts NCL’s Speciality’s similar to Celebrity’s prices, and if this is the case I really wish NCL would follow up with more innovative dishes and meals.  If I am going to pay 60+ for an entree, appetizer and desert, give me Celebrity where I can pay the same price and get whatever I would like instead.  Just another way NCL is thinking too highly of themselves 

• Like 1

Well i think we have got to the end of our rope . Cruising was good value when we started cruising in 2013 now we get a lot less bang for our buck . We have 2 fantastic cruises booked but that will be it for us i`m afraid . 

Not long ago, the small cost of specialty dining was worth it for the ambience and service alone.  I don't care for La Cucina but how could you resist the romantic hideaway on Epic for only $10.

Then all of a sudden the specialty dining exploded in popularity and price.  Now I don't think its worth it except for maybe once during the cruise.  While the pricing kept going up, the sides size and quality also went down along with removing the expensive appetizers

Trying to find the silver lining to this negative story.   It looks like the new Italian restaurant on Encore is included in the dining package.  Cagneys wont upcharge for shrimp and maybe the restaurants wont be as crowded.

But I fear that come my cruise, I am going to be upcharged because I paid the old plan.  It also bothers me that this hidden announcement came right after the $50 Haven day pass for dining.  After all these huge profits, they are still looking for new increases.  I wish they would spend a 5% of their time looking at things that enhance the passenger experience than just raising costs every 3 months.

Edited by david_sobe
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, willsears94 said:

I am thinking this is only on Breakaway Plus ships because other ships are not seeing this increase. Neither mine, on a non-Breakaway Plus ship. 

But the OP posted the menu from the Dawn.  NCL is going to charge the same fleetwide. 

3 minutes ago, david_sobe said:

But the OP posted the menu from the Dawn.  NCL is going to charge the same fleetwide. 

Oof! 🤦‍♂️ I missed that. I guess it just hasn't changed for my cruise yet. 

I was thinking that NCL was doing something similar to RCL in which Oasis-Class ships have a higher costs than other ships.

Wow...is this a serious discussion? 🙄

For one...when I finally get to my vacation, I can't see looking at restaurant prices and then running to post about it on Cruise Critic being the first thing ("...i just boarded...") that I would do. So the price of the restaurant went up. Can't that wait until I get home?

Cue Jerry Seinfeld..."What is the deal with "HUGE" in all caps??", "What is the deal with the exclamation point?"...over ten dollars? Ten dollars? Not even the cost of a freakin' drink. HUGE!!!!!  Panic!!!  Despair!!!

Why all the drama? Can't we just note the price increase without the "DRAMA!!!!"? Prices change on things all the time. This isn't something new or unheard of. Seriously, if your budget is soooooo tight that ten bucks is going to cause drama, then you need to reconsider your financial situation.

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

Wow...is this a serious discussion? 🙄

For one...when I finally get to my vacation, I can't see looking at restaurant prices and then running to post about it on Cruise Critic being the first thing ("...i just boarded...") that I would do. So the price of the restaurant went up. Can't that wait until I get home?

Cue Jerry Seinfeld..."What is the deal with "HUGE" in all caps??", "What is the deal with the exclamation point?"...over ten dollars? Ten dollars? Not even the cost of a freakin' drink. HUGE!!!!!  Panic!!!  Despair!!!

Why all the drama? Can't we just note the price increase without the "DRAMA!!!!"? Prices change on things all the time. This isn't something new or unheard of. Seriously, if your budget is soooooo tight that ten bucks is going to cause drama, then you need to reconsider your financial situation.

I think you are the one being overly dramatic.  Its a fair discussion because its hard to keep up with the changing specialty changes and charges.  NCL started it when they made changes.  Its a fair discussion.  If you don't like the topic then don't open the thread or comment.  This is a board designed to comment on experiences and opinions.  Big deal.

Speaking of drama, someone engaging in debate if the Dawn had a deluxe owners suite or an owners suite.   I wonder who that was that created all that drama?   Sort of less a serious topic than Specialty dining IMHO.  Sort of like the pot calling the kettle black 🤭.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, david_sobe said:

I think you are the one being overly dramatic.  Its a fair discussion because its hard to keep up with the changing specialty changes and charges.  NCL started it when they made changes.  Its a fair discussion.  If you don't like the topic then don't open the thread or comment.  This is a board designed to comment on experiences and opinions.  Big deal.

Speaking of drama, someone engaging in debate if the Dawn had a deluxe owners suite or an owners suite.   I wonder who that was that created all that drama?   Sort of less a serious topic than Specialty dining IMHO.  Sort of like the pot calling the kettle black 🤭.

I think you aren't...thinking. The old "if you don't like the topic then don't open the thread"...seriously, if you don't like my comment, then don't read it. Same logic.

This is a board designed to comment? Then why do you feel it necessary to call me out for my comment? Or is it only for comments that you agree with?

On your last little uninformed point...the discussion you refer to was about the Joy, not the Dawn. Get your facts straight. You wonder who created all that drama, easy: The OP of that thread said they were on the Joy in an owner's suite. All good until someone called them a liar. See post #20 

THAT where where the drama was created. THAT is where it started. No need to call someone a liar because they said "owners suite" instead of "deluxe owners suite". Not only is that creating unnecessary drama...which was deservedly called out...but it is rather petty.

Arguing over leaving out an unnecessary word is as useless as the unnecessary added drama added to discuss a price increase the size of a single hand of blackjack. Both aren't needed and those who engage in that behavior and their defenders should be called out for it.

On 6/29/2019 at 5:41 PM, PortFees45 said:

Frank Del Rio is going to miss customers like you when the economy slows down and the "millennials" he has such a fetish for disappear. 

I know, right? He should be catering to the demographic that is soon to be on a fixed income with 401ks that are heavily market dependent. And as the boomers start moving from their 60s and 70s to their 70s and 80s and start leading to a smaller market overall... well just start scrapping ships, because why cater to people in their 30s and 40s?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, perditax said:

In any event, folks, vote with your wallet. And remember that last-minute price drops happen even in peak season. 

Bingo ... looking at the no-frills last minute SailAway rates (GTY stateroom assignments, of course - it's not for "everyone") on upcoming sailings, not 100% soldout this summer, out of NYC - of all places.   "Free" at sea promotions are / were never really free but rather not-so-cleverly disguised fees, now absurdly inflated to boost corporate bottom lines ... stockholders aren't the ones paying for these new mega ships with the extra bells & whistles,  "choice" of 30 dining venue, et. al. 

Good luck on NCL reaching for a different demographics like the millennials - ... someone from marketing probably saying this is really fake news.    

https://www.businessinsider.com/average-american-millennial-net-worth-student-loan-debt-savings-habits-2019-6 

As for lunch options for Specialty Dining, not on NCL since the early/mid 2000's.  When we're on a 15 days Escape this January, Margaritaville was open but a ghost town and Food Republic remained closed (at least for the 2nd. half due to an acute stomach bug scare.  No wonder the Joy made a quick exodus out of the China market, targeting the rising middle class abroad ...  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, david_sobe said:

Not long ago, the small cost of specialty dining was worth it for the ambience and service alone.  I don't care for La Cucina but how could you resist the romantic hideaway on Epic for only $10.

Then all of a sudden the specialty dining exploded in popularity and price.  Now I don't think its worth it except for maybe once during the cruise.  While the pricing kept going up, the sides size and quality also went down along with removing the expensive appetizers

Trying to find the silver lining to this negative story.   It looks like the new Italian restaurant on Encore is included in the dining package.  Cagneys wont upcharge for shrimp and maybe the restaurants wont be as crowded.

But I fear that come my cruise, I am going to be upcharged because I paid the old plan.  It also bothers me that this hidden announcement came right after the $50 Haven day pass for dining.  After all these huge profits, they are still looking for new increases.  I wish they would spend a 5% of their time looking at things that enhance the passenger experience than just raising costs every 3 months.

I too remember those days, $10 La Cucina, $20.00 Le Bistro, around $25.00 Teppanyaki and Cagney’s but those days are long gone. We started with NCL in 2010 and that’s how it was and we went to three every cruise we took. DSC was $12.00 pp per day, now it’s $15.00 (non suite). There were no additional gratuities and now they are at 20%. On the other hand, I am glad I find out about these increases on CC as my PCC never thinks to call to inform me of them. I am Platinum + and get two free meals but the amount you are allowed changes as quick as a blink of the eye. Extra for $4.99 for shrimp cocktail in Cagney's, now the upcharge is gone.  If it wasn’t for CC, I wouldn’t have known that specialty prices went up by $10.00 and the price limit on vouchers was now $35.00 instead of $20 before and then $25.00. 

We are in the group that made NCL what it is, not the millennials. All FDR did was to send me over to MSC and Princess, who by the way, give you premier beverage package with the grats included unlike NCL’s  ridiculous per day charge of $99.00 then an additional 20% on top of that.  Honestly, it’s their loss, not mine.  BTW, we mostly stayed in the Haven and happy to go to the Yacht Club.