Viking Jupiter electrical problems?

Hanoj

50 minutes ago, Liz Masterson said:

Oh for the love of Odin!

Will someone PLEASE tell me how to block someone. 

Thanks.

If you are on a desktop, just hover over the avatar  or the screen name to the left of the text area until you get a pop-up. Choose Ignore User.

If this doesn't work, e-mail me and we can figure it out together.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

We’ll have to agree that we disagree. I think a ship’s loss of power is always a safety issue. And you do not. 

Viking Sky would not have had a major, truly life threatening, problem had not one diesel generator after another failed.

Situation became so dire that during an intense storm at night helicopters were used to evacuate passengers. Obviously ship loss with all aboard was seen as a worst case.

Fortunately (not by design) Jupiter’s failure did not escalate and the weather was good. Fortunately.

1 hour ago, PedroPedro said:

We’ll have to agree that we disagree. I think a ship’s loss of power is always a safety issue. And you do not. 

Viking Sky would not have had a major, truly life threatening, problem had not one diesel generator after another failed.

Situation became so dire that during an intense storm at night helicopters were used to evacuate passengers. Obviously ship loss with all aboard was seen as a worst case.

Fortunately (not by design) Jupiter’s failure did not escalate and the weather was good. Fortunately.

And the Jupiter did not lose power or propulsion.  95% of the world's ships only have one propeller, and most of those don't have redundant engines to supply that propeller.  Jupiter was completely safe at all times.  Yes, the Viking Sky was a safety issue, my disagreement with you is that I don't feel it was a life threatening issue.  Also, my issue with you is that you, without any basis, claim that the ships don't meet international or flag state regulations for safety.

Edited by chengkp75
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, PedroPedro said:

So help me understand . . .   you joined cruise critic in 2012 and never posted anything until just now with all posts on the Viking Jupiter.  Have you taken Viking cruises?  Just curious as to what your real agenda is on this board.  Seems a little bizarre that you suddenly come out of the woodwork, if you ask me.  And I hold no pro or con on either side.   What are we all trying to prove in this discourse?    That no one should use Viking again?   That any type of travel has its risks (which I think all of us travelers know)?   or what is it that is fueling this whole discourse?   animosity over past grievances?  fear over traveling?  or what?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

The coastline where Jupiter went aground is pretty soft, sandy, if I recall, maybe Andy can verify, and again I don't believe the ship would have broken up.

Chief - It's been too many years since I worked the Thames, but I concur, had the Jupiter ran aground it is all sand. Just wait for the tide to rise, waggle the rudders back & forth and she would back out into the channel. All it does is remove a few barnacles. However, the chance of grounding after loss of just 1 shaft is minimal, unless they had a huge following tide and were in the middle of a turn. Shouldn't even need to use the anchors.

When the SS Uganda ran aground entering Dundee in dense fog, nobody on the Bridge knew they had grounded. Engineers called up and mentioned they might be aground. On sand banks - no danger or damage. Just embarrassing for the Master & lots of paperwork. Still remember the incident, as I was home on leave and once the fog cleared saw her from the village.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peregrina651 said:

If you are on a desktop, just hover over the avatar  or the screen name to the left of the text area until you get a pop-up. Choose Ignore User.

Peregrina - doesn't work for me, so I select my user name at the top right side of the screen. It provide a drop down menu, select Ignore Users.

In the add to box, type in the trolls user name, in this case I received many options, so suspect this troll has multiple accounts.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Peregrina - doesn't work for me, so I select my user name at the top right side of the screen. It provide a drop down menu, select Ignore Users.

In the add to box, type in the trolls user name, in this case I received many options, so suspect this troll has multiple accounts.

No, what is happening as you type in the name you are looking for is that it starts pulling up a list of all members whose names start with those letters. For each letter you enter, it narrows down the list of possible members until hopefully all that is left is the name you are looking for. But it is more likely they are not all the same person. Peregrina is part of a number screen names but only one of them is me and I would bet that there are other Heidi's--and you know they aren't you. 

Okay, you can't use my method for blocking users. Is it because you don't see the avatar on your screen (mobile users don't) or is it because the hover doesn't work (pop-up blocker in play?). I'm just asking so I can learn; it makes it easier to help people. There are so many different interfaces, each behaving slightly differently. TIA

Honestly folks just email CC admin. I too think this is the same old troll I reported recently. He then went quiet under that persona so I suspect admin had words.

Imagine living your life with so much hate and anger!

• Like 1

Well the dust has settled a bit and we are on our way to Edinburgh ... while we are disappointed to be missing the Orkneys and the Shetlands we are not nearly as devastated as PedroPedro’s friend on board.  I am frankly surprised that someone would book a very expensive 15 day cruise that is primarily focused on Norway when they are ONLY interested in two minor ports on the way to the “main event”.

They have issued everyone an OBC for the “inconvenience” and the letter indicated that a customer service rep would contact us shortly after our return home to discuss additional compensation based on the impact the “troubles” had on individual passengers and their expectations and plans.  Can’t help but wonder if perhaps PedroPedro’s friend is working on building up some righteous indignation in hopes of generating a more generous offer to make him “whole”.  

We’re disappointed, sure and truth be told Edinburgh would have been the stop we would have happily skipped but we’re going to be just fine!  The is is definitely a “first world problem”!

• Like 3

It is a shame that Edinburgh was still doable and the Orkneys and Shetlands not this year as both were better than Edinburgh on the given days of Midnight Sun last year.  The Sea had trouble tendering in both Edinburgh and Shetlands with Shetlands being very windy in general (though our day was great once on shore and nothing was missed unlike in Edinburgh).  Maybe it would not work with a newly repaired ship if the weather was not right.  Norway should still be great and worth the price.

4 hours ago, molymoo said:

Well the dust has settled a bit and we are on our way to Edinburgh ... while we are disappointed to be missing the Orkneys and the Shetlands we are not nearly as devastated as PedroPedro’s friend on board.  I am frankly surprised that someone would book a very expensive 15 day cruise that is primarily focused on Norway when they are ONLY interested in two minor ports on the way to the “main event”.

They have issued everyone an OBC for the “inconvenience” and the letter indicated that a customer service rep would contact us shortly after our return home to discuss additional compensation based on the impact the “troubles” had on individual passengers and their expectations and plans.  Can’t help but wonder if perhaps PedroPedro’s friend is working on building up some righteous indignation in hopes of generating a more generous offer to make him “whole”.  

We’re disappointed, sure and truth be told Edinburgh would have been the stop we would have happily skipped but we’re going to be just fine!  The is is definitely a “first world problem”!

We did this cruise last summer and you are definitely right -- Norway is the main event!  We have missed ports on two different VO cruises due to weather and, while disappointed, we certainly didn't let it ruin our trips (and we didn't get any compensation either).  You have the right attitude for a memorable journey.   Enjoy!

• Like 1

We are currently on the Sun (Midnight Sun cruise) on our way to London. We crossed paths with Jupiter about two hours ago. Our captain said they were indeed headed to Edinburgh. Sad that they will miss the Orkney Islands. We very much enjoyed our visit there.

we are headed home Saturday. Cruise has been very good.

15 minutes ago, Liz Masterson said:

Thanks for the "Ignore" tutorial. It worked for me! 

I have used it twice, but you will find that when someone else quotes the ignored poster in their response, it will still show. You need the self-control to skip past an offending post when it shows up in that way. I am still working on that, like forcing myself not to look at a car wreck on the side of the road!

• Like 2

Chief - It's been too many years since I worked the Thames, but I concur, had the Jupiter ran aground it is all sand. Just wait for the tide to rise, waggle the rudders back & forth and she would back out into the channel. All it does is remove a few barnacles. However, the chance of grounding after loss of just 1 shaft is minimal, unless they had a huge following tide and were in the middle of a turn. Shouldn't even need to use the anchors.

I was on the preceding Jupiter cruise, and while docked in Greenwich, I was surprised how low the tides got on several occasions. Could the ship have settled to the bottom and bent something? Or maybe collected some debris flowing down river that affected one of the engines/motors once underway?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, just_dont said:

I was on the preceding Jupiter cruise, and while docked in Greenwich, I was surprised how low the tides got on several occasions. Could the ship have settled to the bottom and bent something? Or maybe collected some debris flowing down river that affected one of the engines/motors once underway?

Ship owning companies are required to have an ISM/SMS (International Safety Management/Safety Management System) document that lays out all operating procedures for how the ships are operated.  One aspect of ISM is "voyage planning" and one part of voyage planning is to note what the "under keel clearance" is at all points (the distance from the bottom of the ship to the bottom of the sea), at all stages of tide, and the company will set a minimum for UKC, like 2 meters, or 3 meters, so no the ship could not have settled to the bottom and "bent something".  Entangling a fishing net or long line in the propeller seal is always a possibility, and happens more often closer to shore, but this typically requires a diver to go down and cut the netting away, which to my knowledge, didn't happen.

• Like 1

Ship owning companies are required to have an ISM/SMS (International Safety Management/Safety Management System) document that lays out all operating procedures for how the ships are operated.  One aspect of ISM is "voyage planning" and one part of voyage planning is to note what the "under keel clearance" is at all points (the distance from the bottom of the ship to the bottom of the sea), at all stages of tide, and the company will set a minimum for UKC, like 2 meters, or 3 meters, so no the ship could not have settled to the bottom and "bent something".  Entangling a fishing net or long line in the propeller seal is always a possibility, and happens more often closer to shore, but this typically requires a diver to go down and cut the netting away, which to my knowledge, didn't happen.

Thanks. I greatly respect your contributions.
I just remember thinking how low the water level in the Thames had gotten, and we had absolutely no issues on our cruise, but as soon as the ship left Greenwich, the problems started.

17 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

Works fine, thanks!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, PedroPedro said:

Well, what you say is perfectly correct, Chinese ship and Chinese crew, however when flying United, AA, etc often the aircraft complete with crew is leased from a third party. If something goes poorly you still hold UAL and/or American  responsible. Many Olive Gardens are owned and operated by independent company and if you get a poor meal, we all hold Darden’s feet to the fire. When we booked Viking in China we expected Viking to assure the quality of the subcontractor they employed. They did not.

Back to the Viking Jupiter: a friend aboard just commented: 

“Got a letter that says all has been fixed, inspected, and cleared to go, but they are not leaving now.  Why not?  They are waiting until early morning.  Why?  Then going all day to Edinburgh.  They are then skipping the only 2 stops that I was taking the trip for, Orkney and Shetland Islands where I am very interested in the stone age archeology.  Total disaster.  They said they will be refunding the money paid for excursions, but must buy stuff on board.  Outrageous.  I spent a lot of money on excursions in Orkney and Shetland and don't want to have to burn up that money in the Spa or whatever.  This is a total fiasco.  Many persons I've spoken to say they would prefer to skip Edinburgh since most of us has seen it, as have I.  This is the 2nd Viking incident that V has refused to make me whole, much less do what airlines and others do, give a voucher for a future free flight.  Sadly this is not what I wanted, expected, and it is eating up my vacation time.  V has no clue on what the impact of their questionable mechanical failures have done to me, likely many others.”

If others have “facts” other than these, please share to assure a fair shake for Torsten Hagen and his Viking Ocean. If this account is accurate, it sure tarnishes VO’s reputation for responsive customer service, keeping in mind the delay problem is caused by a faulty VO power plant, not an act of God, like a storm or civil commotion, which are outside of VO’s responsibility. 
P

On our June 2017 Into the Midnight Sun trip, we had to skip the Shetland Islands. Nothing wrong with the ship. Just bad weather. That's the way cruising works. Tough luck.

13 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

No, what is happening as you type in the name you are looking for is that it starts pulling up a list of all members whose names start with those letters. For each letter you enter, it narrows down the list of possible members until hopefully all that is left is the name you are looking for. But it is more likely they are not all the same person. Peregrina is part of a number screen names but only one of them is me and I would bet that there are other Heidi's--and you know they aren't you. 

Okay, you can't use my method for blocking users. Is it because you don't see the avatar on your screen (mobile users don't) or is it because the hover doesn't work (pop-up blocker in play?). I'm just asking so I can learn; it makes it easier to help people. There are so many different interfaces, each behaving slightly differently. TIA

Just found my issue with your method, I was automatically doing a right click, rather than hovering over the avatar. Some windows habits are difficult to change😞

Way easier than selecting user name at top of page.

1 hour ago, just_dont said:

Further to the Chief's reply, at this time of year we experience larger tides, which are further extenuated if it was a new moon. While I have never grounded, those that have in sandy estuaries state it is a gentle event and generally no damage other than removing barnacles & polishing the anti-fouling.

When we hit debris (normally submerged logs) we got a few dents in the bulbous bow, with most of them getting pushed aside causing no further damage. However, on a few occasions they went straight down and then you hear them bouncing a couple of times along the flat bottom. Only damage I have experienced is removing part of a propeller blade. It is highly unlikely that hitting debris would cause this issue, as pax onboard would be reporting vibration issues if they damaged a blade. Also with fixed blade props, it is a drydocking to fix, as they have no ability to unbolt a blade and replace it with a new one, a task we completed with divers.

Hope this help.

• Like 3

Although nobody ever wants to miss a port or ports on ANY itinerary, safety of the vessel should always be the primary concern.

I'm not going to make a bold statement and say Viking ships are unsafe, but it can't go without mention that out of the 6 ships in service, 4 have now had technical issues resulting in either long delays (cancelled cruises) or altered itineraries, which for a still new vessel is not a good sign.

For those unaware, below is the rundown mentioned:

Viking Star - 2015 - transformer issue during first Baltic season resulting in a cancelled cruise after 5 days in

Viking Sea - 2016 - propulsion issue departing Malta 

2016 - propulsion issue departing Barcelona; ship returned to port and Xmas cruise cancelled

Viking Sky - 2019 - 'low oil pressure' resulting in issues with propulsion; well documented so no need for further details

Viking Jupiter - 2019 - 'electrical issue' as mentioned in this thread resulting in missed ports

Speculation as to the root cause of the issues will no doubt occur on a public forum, but referring to someone as a troll because they have a critical view of the company in question and their operation, or suggesting that moderators should ban someone because they've got a strong opinion is ridiculous.  If you want a like-minded environment where everyone agrees with your love of Viking than why not start a fan club instead of labeling anonymous strangers on a forum? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1