items on buffet you eat waaaaay more often than on land?

4 hours ago, DarrenM said:

Never eat in the buffet??????

Why would you do that? I understand why you wouldn't on an evening but why wouldnt you during a sea day?

Is the food really that bad?

To answer the original question..........everything.

I'm on holiday maaaaan and its paid for.

The same with the beer.

Oh and for those that haven't cruised before......the food in the buffet on celebrity is mighty fine.

We do that because we don't like buffets! We don't care for buffet food.  Pretty simple.😄

I travel solo, so I very rarely ever eat in the MDR. I don’t eat at buffets at home, in fact, I rarely eat out, so I like to try sampling’s of different things. As previous poster noted, I can control my portions and not waste food. My biggest downfall is mashed potatoes, although I really try to keep the portions down, and I do enjoy the salad bar where everything is already cut up.

Edited by crzndeb

5 hours ago, DarrenM said:

And of course the buffet allows you portion sizes that are suitable for fully grown humans

On Oceania ships you get served from the buffet and, yeah, I'm sure you can say "more, no even more, etc." but maybe one would be just slightly embarrassed.

I was having trouble thinking of something that I eat "too much" of on a ship.  I really don't eat any differently.  But, I guess I'd say fruits like melons.  I'm a single woman and I just can never eat all the melon that I'd have to when I buy a whole and cut it up and I don't like paying extra for buying the already cut melon pieces at the grocery.   I guess I have more vodka - I don't drink when I get home from work on a day before I have to go to work.  On vacation, I don't have to go to work, so many 2 or 3 straight ups (if already cold) or on the rocks on a cruise.  If I'm dining out anywhere, I always have a glass or 2 of wine, so that's no different,

Maybe one would be embarrassed.  This one wouldnt. 😉

Not liking buffet food is a pretty broad statement.

Until I had sampled every buffet in the world i would keep an open mind.

Edited by DarrenM

On 7/7/2019 at 11:01 AM, George C said:

Oatmeal for breakfast, never have that home

X2.  With kids gone, we can't keep a carton of milk long enough to justify it.  No milk, no oatmeal.  

9 hours ago, ldubs said:

X2.  With kids gone, we can't keep a carton of milk long enough to justify it.  No milk, no oatmeal.  

Why not buy the ultra-pasteurized milk? Yes, it costs a little more but it lasts over 2 months.

• Thanks 1

Items I love having on a cruise ship that I rarely ever eat at home:
regular bacon
French toast
soft serve ice cream
drinks with alcohol
hamburgers and fries
rolls
desserts of any kind

I eat whatever I want while cruising and it's great.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Texas Tillie said:

Why not buy the ultra-pasteurized milk? Yes, it costs a little more but it lasts over 2 months.

Ah, I didn't know such a thing existed.  Sounds like a winner to me.  Thanks!!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Ah, I didn't know such a thing existed.  Sounds like a winner to me.  Thanks!!

You should be able to find it at any grocery. Both the Walmart and the Kroger near me sell it for $2.98/half gallon. Just noted you live in a high rent area 😎, so it will probably be a little more expensive for you!!

Edited by Texas Tillie
  • Thanks 1

Come to think of it, there is :back bacon at the breakfast buffet.

At home we get decent, thick sliced, hickory smoked Smithfield bacon.  The side bacon served on ships is paper thin, either half-cooked or brittle and splintering - and utterly unworthy to be partnered with eggs.  They do a decent job with back bacon, however, which they serve to satisfy the Brits who know no alternative.

4 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

Items I love having on a cruise ship that I rarely ever eat at home:
regular bacon
French toast
soft serve ice cream
drinks with alcohol
hamburgers and fries
rolls
desserts of any kind

I eat whatever I want while cruising and it's great.

If you love those things I'm curious why you rarely have them at home?

So many people have mentioned soft serve ice cream.  I won't ever get it because I think hard-pack is the only way to go 🙂

https://www.foodandwine.com/fwx/food/food-duels-soft-serve-vs-hard-pack-ice-cream

• Like 1

Just now, clo said:

If you love those things I'm curious why you rarely have them at home?

So many people have mentioned soft serve ice cream.  I won't ever get it because I think hard-pack is the only way to go 🙂

https://www.foodandwine.com/fwx/food/food-duels-soft-serve-vs-hard-pack-ice-cream

I try to eat healthy most of the year.  If I have bacon at home, it's turkey bacon on a BLT with low cal wheat bread.  I never eat breakfast unless I am on vacation.  Two cups of coffee and I am good until lunch.  If I ate everyday like I eat on a cruise, I would weigh a ton!  LOL.  I really enjoy the freedom to eat what I want, when I want on a cruise.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Omelettes 

Stir Fry

Crepes

Soft serve ice cream 

Egg rolls

Chocolate strawberries 

I don't disagree with you but what's wrong with stir fry and crepes?  Not cooked correctly?

8 hours ago, clo said:

I don't disagree with you but what's wrong with stir fry and crepes?  Not cooked correctly?

You only see crepes at IHOP around here, and just dont eat stir fry often. Staple on a cruise ship

My normal breakfast at home is a half a bagel with butter that is eaten on the way to work in the morning.  I don't like to cook so making omelets is just too much of a hassle for me and we very rarely go out for breakfast.  I would rather save my going out to eat funds for lunch and/or dinner.  My daughter loves to make scrambled eggs for breakfast on the weekend but I am just not that big on plain eggs.  I would prefer tomatoes, ham, and mushrooms with my eggs....which would go to waste because I don't want to make it and nobody else in my house would eat it.  So when we cruise I enjoy someone else making me an omelet just the way I like it in the morning.  When I get that, I usually get a really light or no lunch since I am not used to eating such a big breakfast....which is fine with me since there usually is not much for lunch, especially at the buffet that even interests me.  I also do this when we vacation on land.  Our hotel of choice is Embassy Suites and they always have the made to order omelet stations as well.  We eat a big breakfast at the hotel and then usually skip lunch.  Saves us a little bit of vacation funds in the process.

4 minutes ago, Warm Breezes said:

My normal breakfast at home is a half a bagel with butter that is eaten on the way to work in the morning.  I don't like to cook so making omelets is just too much of a hassle for me and we very rarely go out for breakfast.  I would rather save my going out to eat funds for lunch and/or dinner.  My daughter loves to make scrambled eggs for breakfast on the weekend but I am just not that big on plain eggs.  I would prefer tomatoes, ham, and mushrooms with my eggs....which would go to waste because I don't want to make it and nobody else in my house would eat it.  So when we cruise I enjoy someone else making me an omelet just the way I like it in the morning.  When I get that, I usually get a really light or no lunch since I am not used to eating such a big breakfast....which is fine with me since there usually is not much for lunch, especially at the buffet that even interests me.  I also do this when we vacation on land.  Our hotel of choice is Embassy Suites and they always have the made to order omelet stations as well.  We eat a big breakfast at the hotel and then usually skip lunch.  Saves us a little bit of vacation funds in the process.

Ah, gotcha.  I cook omelets A LOT.  I hate to waste food so I put leftovers in omelets.

sausage kale omelet.jpg

• Like 1