Chefs Table

denmarks

When attending the Chefs Table multiple times do you wish there was a choice of gifts? How many copies of the cookbook can you use? How about keeping the chefs jacket or something else like an apron?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, vakamalua said:

Is the Chef's Table on all ships?  Cost?

Generally, but the cost varies between the Royal Class of ship and the pre-Royal classes.  $95 USD with wine / $80 USD w/out wine on older ships and $115 USD / $100 USD on Royal Class.  On Royal Class it is actually called Chef's Table Lumiere.  You can read up on it on Princess and several threads here mention it.

4 hours ago, denmarks said:

When attending the Chefs Table multiple times do you wish there was a choice of gifts? How many copies of the cookbook can you use? How about keeping the chefs jacket or something else like an apron?

OMG!!! Yes!!!

48 minutes ago, steelers36 said:

Generally, but the cost varies between the Royal Class of ship and the pre-Royal classes.  $95 USD with wine / $80 USD w/out wine on older ships and $115 USD / $100 USD on Royal Class.  On Royal Class it is actually called Chef's Table Lumiere.  You can read up on it on Princess and several threads here mention it.

The Lumiere Table is quite the treat. I've done that one 3 times. However my new personal favorite choice is the chefs wine cellar table thing. I actually prefer the menu and drinks they give during that compared to the chef's table and it's only $40 cost. You can't get any type of meal like this anywhere in New York City for that cost.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jeter02 said:

The Lumiere Table is quite the treat. I've done that one 3 times. However my new personal favorite choice is the chefs wine cellar table thing. I actually prefer the menu and drinks they give during that compared to the chef's table and it's only $40 cost. You can't get any type of meal like this anywhere in New York City for that cost.

Totally agree on the WM Dinner.  However, sadly, it is only available on Royal Class ships.

11 minutes ago, Jeter02 said:

Winemakers Dinner.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, denmarks said:

I’ve run out of people at home to give the cookbooks to. The last time I put the cookbook in the library on the ship. Went back about a year later and it was gone so I guess somebody got some good out of it. 

2 minutes ago, CruiseVA said:

What is the best way to book this? I've read that you need to book it quickly on some cruises. 

I usually do it the first night I have dinner in the main dining room and I asked the head waiter and they will be more than happy to add you to the list. And then if you've been accepted they will send you a letter in your stateroom. they do offer multiple throughout the cruise it's all dependent on how many people question and request it.

Edited by Jeter02
Error
  • Like 1

Is the winemaker dinner reserved like the chef’s table?  I take it for only $40 you get way less food?  Why do you prefer it to chef’s table?  I’m taking my first Royal Class ship this December and wondering if I should seek this out?

Thank you in advance. 

1 hour ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

Is the winemaker dinner reserved like the chef’s table?  I take it for only $40 you get way less food?  Why do you prefer it to chef’s table?  I’m taking my first Royal Class ship this December and wondering if I should seek this out?

Thank you in advance. 

Yes. Just mention it to your head waiter the first night in the MDR. There were about 4 wine pairings paired with the several course meal. More than plenty on the food (you don't feel as grossly stuffed compared with chefs table), which started out if this world. I prefer the wind makers for price, but honestly the food selected for the meal I am obsessed with. I think I have picture of the menus from Regal.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

Thank you in advance. 

The Chef's Table begins with a trip to part of the galley as I understand it where you will see some dinner prep going on and you are served apps or canapes with some sparkling wine and I gather one or more senior chefs greet you and probably speak about the food.  Then the group moves to the dining room for the main meal.  If you have been on Royal Class ships then you may have noticed the special table in center of the room with glass strips that can be closed in and hence the Lumiere name.   As you have no doubt read, this meal comes with gifts such as a Princess Cookbook.

The WM Dinner is held in a similar location, where the table is surrounded by racks of wine bottles (sorry, I forget which DR it is and too lazy to look it up).  The group meets and goes directly to this table.  There are no gifts with this meal.  Host is usually one of the HW's who is familiar with wine.  A wine is served with each course.  The most typical menu includes a wonderful filet mignon as the main protein.  Another difference is that with Chef's Table, there is a non-drinker price, but with WM Dinner there is not (since the whole point of it is wine-pairing with food).  If it still is the case, it used to be mostly Robert Mondavi wines and of course the star was the Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon.

(On other ships, there has been special dinners offered with wine accompaniment held in Sabatini's, but it is not called WM Dinner and also costs more.  In that case, they look to pretty much sell out the restaurant, so it is not a small group of 10 or so that the WM Dinner is). 

I prefer the value of the WM Dinner since it is all about the food and wine for me.  I might try a Chef's Table sometime, but I would love a price without gifts (as opposed to without wine).

Edited by steelers36
  • Thanks 1

Some people have mentioned the savings of $15 if you do not want the wine. I did it last time since I do not care for it. The only problem is you really stand out when they serve you a can of coke when the wine is being poured.

19 minutes ago, denmarks said:

Some people have mentioned the savings of $15 if you do not want the wine. I did it last time since I do not care for it. The only problem is you really stand out when they serve you a can of coke when the wine is being poured.

No worries. You're their for a yummy amazing quality meal and experience. 

29 minutes ago, steelers36 said:

The WM Dinner is held in a similar location, where the table is surrounded by racks of wine bottles (sorry, I forget which DR it is and too lazy to look it up).  

They do it in both the concerto and symphony.

1 hour ago, denmarks said:

We didn't get a "can of coke". Our choice of drinks were served in a glass.

And it didn't bother us that we weren't drinking. No one was looking at us and pointing.

Bring on the FOOD.

Princess will reduce the price of the Chef's Table when they can no longer sell some minimum number of seats.

Yes, I have read reports here on Cruise Critic where no Chef's Table was held because of insufficient interest.  I have read more reports by people who were unable to attend because all the seats were sold.

The one time we attended the Chef's Table, I just called the DINE line shortly after arriving at our cabin on embarkation day to put in our request.  I, also, made two specialty restaurant reservations on the same call.

We are taking our first cruise on a Royal class ship in September.  I am looking forward to checking out the Winemaker's Dinner.  I have also heard of a Tuscan Wine event.  I think it's a lunch.  Does anybody know about this?

35 minutes ago, XBGuy said:

Princess will reduce the price of the Chef's Table when they can no longer sell some minimum number of seats.

Yes, I have read reports here on Cruise Critic where no Chef's Table was held because of insufficient interest.  I have read more reports by people who were unable to attend because all the seats were sold.

The one time we attended the Chef's Table, I just called the DINE line shortly after arriving at our cabin on embarkation day to put in our request.  I, also, made two specialty restaurant reservations on the same call.

We are taking our first cruise on a Royal class ship in September.  I am looking forward to checking out the Winemaker's Dinner.  I have also heard of a Tuscan Wine event.  I think it's a lunch.  Does anybody know about this?

Yes the Tuscan wine event is very lovely. It is a lunch event.