Probably a stupid question

judla

I know this is probably a stupid question, but I need the answer anyhow.  I just completed our on-line check in and it says to bring it plus your original cruise contract.  We have neve done this before.  Do they mean the papers we received from our travel agent?  Thanks for answering my "stupid question".

2 minutes ago, judla said:

I know this is probably a stupid question, but I need the answer anyhow.  I just completed our on-line check in and it says to bring it plus your original cruise contract.  We have neve done this before.  Do they mean the papers we received from our travel agent?  Thanks for answering my "stupid question".

I don't think it is a stupid question.  

Your original contract?  Not even sure what they mean by this unless they are referring to your invoice.  Maybe they are having trouble with passengers claiming they haven't gotten all the perks they have been promised.  Or,  maybe people are not understanding what rights they have vs what rights the cruiseline has.  I would be baffled as to why you'd need to bring this with you.  Maybe just have it in a file that you can access via your phone.  

We've only ever boarding with the express pass (or whatever they call it) along with our passport (and maybe a copy of our invoice in case it lists perks that we haven't seen on our cruise page on their website.  

There is no stupid question. We booked our recent cruise for the first time thru a TA. To us it is extremely confusing what shows up where on who's site (TA or cruise line) and what we are going to do and would suggest you do the same. Bring all documents given to you from TA including Celebrity confirmation, cruise contract and online check in paperwork. Maybe this is an overkill but its better to have more paperwork than missing documentation. More experienced cruisers may be able break it down more.

Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 3

26. Celebrity cruises  and have only needed Xpress pass, credit card and passport/ID to checkin at the pier.  I always have a copy of my paid invoice/booking confirmation on my phone in case any perks are missing- so far we have never needed them.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

We've only ever boarding with the express pass (or whatever they call it) along with our passport (and maybe a copy of our invoice in case it lists perks that we haven't seen on our cruise page on their website.  

That’s all we need with Celebrity?  So the xpress pass and a copy of our invoice to prove we have all the perks and that’s it?  What are the eDocs then?  Do we only need those if we don’t have the Celebrity app?

I think the cruise contract (edocs) is the 15 or so pages of gobbledy gook that no one ever fully reads. When I do our express pass there is a box which needs to be ticked saying you have read all this.  As has been said, no one ever asks you to show this.  All you need is the Express pass, passport, and the credit card you designated to pay for expenses on the cruise.

Edited by TeaBag
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

That’s all we need with Celebrity?  So the xpress pass and a copy of our invoice to prove we have all the perks and that’s it?  What are the eDocs then?  Do we only need those if we don’t have the Celebrity app?

The eDocs are the whole booklet you can print out but I just have a saved electronic copy that I can retrieve via my phone ... but in nearly 60 cruises, I've never needed to pull them up.  There was one questionable sailing I had when Celebrity first came out with the 'included perks' and I wasn't aware of how it was all going to work so I printed out the invoice where they were all listed in case I had any issues once on the ship.  

If / when my agent has given me a lot of onboard credit or free gratuities, etc, I will also take my one page final invoice on the cruise with me as well.  Again, I've never had any issues so I rarely print them out anymore ... I just make sure I have access to an electronic copy if needed.  I also have access or the first page printed out of my travel insurance policy.  

Also, part of the eDocs is that boarding pass that I do always print out.  I haven't sailed on Celebrity when only using their app ... so the boarding pass, my credit card and passport is all I have in hand when I check in.  I've never been asked for anything in addition to that.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TeaBag said:

I think the cruise contract is the 15 or so pages of gobbledy gook that no one ever fully reads. When I do our express pass there is a box which needs to be ticked saying you have read all this.  As has been said, no one ever asks you to show this.  All you need is the Express pass, passport, and the credit card you designated to pay for expenses on the cruise.

Nice photo of a Beagle.  I love Beagles.

6 minutes ago, TeaBag said:

I think the cruise contract (edocs) is the 15 or so pages of gobbledy gook that no one ever fully reads. When I do our express pass there is a box which needs to be ticked saying you have read all this.  As has been said, no one ever asks you to show this.  All you need is the Express pass, passport, and the credit card you designated to pay for expenses on the cruise.

So we can just show the Xpress pass from our app?  We don’t even need to print it?

11 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

The only time you would need to prove the perks is if they are missing.

Edocs are the electronic Cruise documents that are send about 30-45 days pre cruise.  Most info you don’t need but does have port directions, boarding time, contact info, etc.  if you booked flights, hotels or transfer with Celebrity then vouchers and details are in the edocs. since they are are send electronically I just

leave them in my email, unless there is a voucher I need to print. These have nothing to do with whether or not you have the app.

• Like 2

We usually board with our express pass, passports and credit card. We carry a copy of our invoice in case our perks don’t show up, although we haven’t had a problem yet. On a recent cruise I totally misplaced all the cruise docs. We were directed to a separate window where the attendant looked up our info on the computer. We filled out the credit card form that was previously completed online and were quickly onboard. 

• Like 3

Thank you all for your replies.  We are going on the Edge and this is the first time we have checked in via the Celebrity app.  Previously all we have ever needed were our passports, e-docs and a credit card.  I guess I will take a copy of our contract from our TA just in case.  The site definitely says "Remember, you must bring your original travel documents to the port".  We have waited far too long for this cruise to forget something like that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Harley52 said:

Nice photo of a Beagle.  I love Beagles.

Thank you so much.  You are the only one who has ever commented on the photo.  She is our sixth and the most loving of them all.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

So we can just show the Xpress pass from our app?  We don’t even need to print it?

You don't even need to have it.  One time we had a terrible time trying to print our express pass.  I was quite upset.  Even the supervisor couldn't get it to work.  We went without it and our check in was maybe 5 mins longer.  We don't have the app. either.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, judla said:

Thank you all for your replies.  We are going on the Edge and this is the first time we have checked in via the Celebrity app.  Previously all we have ever needed were our passports, e-docs and a credit card.  I guess I will take a copy of our contract from our TA just in case.  The site definitely says "Remember, you must bring your original travel documents to the port".  We have waited far too long for this cruise to forget something like that.

I believe when they say  “your original travel documents” they are referring to the document (s) Passport, visa, birth certificate, that are required for you to travel.  So no copy of passport,  birth certificate, etc will be accepted.

• Like 3

We always take paper proof of all aspects of our cruise. Sometimes we don’t need it but on other occasions it has been useful. 

For example, we have boarded and not had OBC applied. Not there on boarding, customer services assured us it would be posted in the first few days. Day three when we returned to the desk they said they had bo record of it. We were able to show them our invoice and an email that referred to the OBC...

We also print out details of any prebooked meals, excursions etc. Whilst this may seem ‘over the top’ they can be useful occasionally. For example, we have boarded and had a morning tour swapped to an afternoon and been able to show the excursions desk that we specifically booked the morning...

We cruise with our express pass, passport to hand but a plastic wallet with about another 6/10 sheets in it ‘just in case’. Takes next to no room and much better than having to start a cruise with an issue.

Edited by chemmo
  • Like 3

I have never yet in all my years of cruising with Celebrity printed the cruise contract and I certainly don't intend to now.  Everyone has the same contract and Celebrity certainly has access to it if they're interested.  I bring my Xpress pass, my passport, my credit card, and my booking confirmation from Celebrity.  Period.  Never had a problem yet.

• Like 2

I keep all of that stuff in a folder in my carry-on if they need it, but have never needed anything for check-in at the terminal except my boarding pass and passport.  My folder has all emails, including the invoice, extra copies of the boarding passes, airline tickets, port excursion confirmations, insurance information, and any correspondence with Special Needs.  That's the one I always have problems with -- not getting my specials needs requests.

That folder stays with me in my carry-on so it's always within reach if needed; however, I have never and will not ever print all of that cruise contract.  If they want that, then they need to send it to me via mail.

• Like 1

always remember there are no stupid questions.  From time to time some of the veteran posters/cruisers on all these boards will pop off and say stupid stuff but MOST are kind, patient and always willing to educate.

• Like 2

I just completed my online check in for a B2B2B (YVR-HNL-YVR-LAX) in the 3 legs X doesn't ask to bring with me the Cruise Contract. All previous cruises as all the above CC's say only the Xpress Pass, Passport/Visas and Credit Card.