People who sleep on the Waterfront are gross

PortFees45

33 minutes ago, tallnthensome said:

It’s obvious that those who think this is ok are the ones sleeping with their sweaty fat arses and drool and sweat stains all over everything so of course they’re going to say it’s ok. 

Personally, I don't think that it is OK. My first reaction is that it is inconsiderate. On the sundeck, sleeping is not a problem since (contrary to popular belief) there are plenty of loungers. In the Observation Lounge or on the Waterfront, seating is more limited.

The "plastic vs upholstery" is a separate issue in my opinion. Seeing others sleeping/drooling should make others NOT want to put their face on a public sofa. Seeing others sleeping on a plastic lounger isn't a problem.

Years ago expectations of privacy were different. Today cameras are endemic. I'm not comfortable with this but it's part of modern life. If you do something in public you should expect that it may wind up online. If you are uncomfortable with this, which I am, you should refrain from doing things in public that you do not want to appear online.

It's a shame in my view but it's only likely to get worse.

I do want to put it out there that I also think it seems inconsiderate to hog a chair in an OBSERVATION lounge and sleep for hours. Relaxing, reading, visiting with others and enjoying the view is what cruisers go there to do. When you are asleep for a long period of time, you are preventing others from enjoying it while you are obviously doing something that can be accomplished in your own cabin. 

Oh, and drooling on a couch cushion is also a bit nasty.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, ColeThornton said:

Hmmmm.  Interesting thread.  Looks like I'm not the only one having a really boring Sunday.   🙂

Wait till they figure out how many people don't wash their hands or not use soap after bathroom.

I would say over 50% not washing hands in my last Mediterranean cruise.

18 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

Personally, I don't think that it is OK. My first reaction is that it is inconsiderate. On the sundeck, sleeping is not a problem since (contrary to popular belief) there are plenty of loungers. In the Observation Lounge or on the Waterfront, seating is more limited.

The "plastic vs upholstery" is a separate issue in my opinion. Seeing others sleeping/drooling should make others NOT want to put their face on a public sofa. Seeing others sleeping on a plastic lounger isn't a problem.

You are correct, it is inconsiderate. Plastic pool loungers are plastic for a reason. They're expected to hold wet bathing suits and such. The observation lounge, like I said previously,  looked like a damn shelter on the Bliss with people sleeping everywhere, There was no one "observing" anything in the Observation Lounge. Me, my wife , and kids came in from the hot sun on the Bliss to cool down, grab a seat, and chill only to be met by a room of what looked liked scattered corpses covered in blankets after an air disaster taking up every piece of furniture...... everyone sleeping. God forbid you actually sleep in your cabin bed instead. 

• Like 3

I have no problem with people posting pics of "real-time" facts.  It's what we all want/ask for, right? As another poster stated, the Observation Lounge was/is a spectacular feature.  Bring in the homeless/entitled/rude.  Eww. 

I am a mom and would NEVER have let my child(ren) sleep on the floor in that space (or sleep on any floor space for that matter).  The pic(s) posted is just what the photographer saw (and I have no problem with that).  It is real time.  Blame the parent(s).  Not the photographer.  I do not want to trip over your kid.  Put him/her in a safe place (i.e. cabin) if he/she needs a nap.  Another example of lazy/irresponsible parents on cruise ships...

JMO

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

Seeing others sleeping/drooling should make others NOT want to put their face on a public sofa. 

So, not seeing others sleeping/drooling WOULD make you want to put your face on a public sofa??

Regardless of what you see or don't see, why would a public sofa be a place to put one's face?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

So, not seeing others sleeping/drooling WOULD make you want to put your face on a public sofa??

Regardless of what you see or don't see, why would a public sofa be a place to put one's face?

I agree. Most people wouldn't want to put their face there. Seeing pictures (a good thing) should decrease the likelihood of it happening. If the people in the posted pictures had seen similar pictures (and the accompanying comments) before cruising, maybe the people in the pictures wouldn't have done the same on their cruise.

I have no problem with the photographer. I have no problem with the photos being posted. I have no problem with people posting their opinion. By bringing a problem to light, hopefully some people who had never previously thought about it will abstain from the behavior.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

OK, now that's funny. 

7 minutes ago, ed01106 said:

I like naps.  I like them in my room. I like them by the pool.  I like them in the sun.  I like them in the shade.  I like naps.  

If I didn't know better I would say you are my brother.  I know you aren't because he doesn't come on cruise critic.  He will be going with us (me and mom) for the first time (actually his second cruise) this coming September.  I have no doubt that he may embarrass me by sleeping anywhere anytime.  Shoot, I can't be positive that I won't fall asleep (by accident) on our upcoming cruise.  It will be my first cruise with UBP.

19 hours ago, PortFees45 said:

You'd put a pillow to your face that could have been under some fat disgusting person's sweating arse for 4 hours? Or even worse a cushion for someone's nasty middle aged corn-covered feet? 

Help me understand you. 

You only object to fat, disgusting people with sweaty rears or middle aged people with corns sleeping on public couches?

or do you think those are the only type people who get sleepy at sea other than at bedtime?

i guess it’s ok for slender people who don’t sweat or have corns. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, KateQ22003 said:

This is just not true. There are many people (myself included) who have compromised immune systems. I have to be very careful about cleanliness and the possibility of picking up something that I don't have the white cells to fight off. Feet don't belong on furniture; neither do open mouths.

For the love of God and all that's holy, then why go on a cruise at all?  I'm sorry, but people do realize the Bliss carries 4200 people and somehow YOU have decided the solution is for everyone else to recognize your compromised immune system and stay away from wherever you might LIKE to go.  If someone nods off...slide down the way.  It really affects you all that much???  Do us all a favor and just stay home!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, KateQ22003 said:

This is just not true. There are many people (myself included) who have compromised immune systems. I have to be very careful about cleanliness and the possibility of picking up something that I don't have the white cells to fight off. Feet don't belong on furniture; neither do open mouths.

As usual you are taking things out of context. Of course there are exceptions to every rule, but generally those talking about this do not have a condition like you have. 

1 hour ago, thetaro said:

Wait till they figure out how many people don't wash their hands or not use soap after bathroom.

I would say over 50% not washing hands in my last Mediterranean cruise.

And you know....they do it just to piss you off!!!

10 minutes ago, OceanBlueWaters said:

Nope.  Parents had no problem with child sleeping on disgusting floor.  Makes my head spin....

I actually have alot more problems with children with ignorant disgusting parents...but I digress

7 hours ago, SouthLyonCruiser said:

No different if you are on it for an hour sleeping or for an hour reading. Same feet, same sweat.

exactly" we have a situation that there is no answer for except for us to put our feet on the chairs. Like many who cruise we are somewhat mobility challenged and cant get in and out of the lounges. If we want some sun while reading we have to put 2 chairs together> One for a our feet and legs and one for our butts and back. So, I guess we are among those who gross people out. Watch out for us and make sure non of you sit on the chair where we had our feet. 

• Haha 1

On June cruise on the Escape I took a walk around the waterfront one sea day around 3pm. Every sofa type chair had ONE person laying across it asleep. Personally I think its pretty freaking rude. They are for sitting, not laying across and sleeping

• Like 2

7 hours ago, DirtyDawg said:

It's not a question of legality. Sleeping in public isn't illegal either. Both are just distasteful, disrespectful, and yes, gross IMNSHO. 

So....how exactly is someone nodding off in any way disrespectful towards you?  If I did nod off, and I don't know you, how is that a show of disrespect?  Is staying away and reading a book a show of respect?  So in your expert opinion, would you surmise that somehow a library is a place of higher respect than a Marriott?  All of you guys posting this garbage take the cake....you are right...NCL is horrible and awful and you should never ever ever cruise on them again....at least the ships I'm sailing on.  Give me a dozer any time over the likes of someone self-righteous like you. 

2 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

On June cruise on the Escape I took a walk around the waterfront one sea day around 3pm. Every sofa type chair had ONE person laying across it asleep. Personally I think its pretty freaking rude. They are for sitting, not laying across and sleeping

You are absolutely correct; these rude disgusting people should be sitting up, brushing the cushions off and prepared to get you a drink as you sit down.  Just like everyone at the bar should learn to stand when you walk by, the people by the loungers should move back, and the lines at O'Sheehans should mystically disappear as you arrive.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mightyjoey1 said:

So....how exactly is someone nodding off in any way disrespectful towards you?  If I did nod off, and I don't know you, how is that a show of disrespect?  Is staying away and reading a book a show of respect?  So in your expert opinion, would you surmise that somehow a library is a place of higher respect than a Marriott?  All of you guys posting this garbage take the cake....you are right...NCL is horrible and awful and you should never ever ever cruise on them again....at least the ships I'm sailing on.  Give me a dozer any time over the likes of someone self-righteous like you. 

Joey, go back and read the series of posts between me and the OP (post #29 and on). I was making a point about his/her support of posting pictures of folks sleeping in a public place. The pictures have since been removed but you'll get the gist of it (including the sarcasm) if you read the series.

Edited by DirtyDawg