Possibility to visit a ship while at the port ?

Thechamp555

I'll be in Bermuda early August on the Norwegian Escape and the Celebrity Summit will be at the same port as us during the three days we will be docked.

I'm wondering if it would be possible to visit the ship during this the period we will be at the port ? If so , who should I contact ?

Thanks for the information.

Thechamp555

I haven't gotten specific info yet but a friend is going to be in Buenos Aires to begin a cruise about the same time we arrive (and we'll be there two day). Would he believe to come on board to see us?  Probably easier to just meet for lunch off the ship?

Answers will likely vary by cruise line and quite likely by port. 

Princes used to have a thing in some (all?) US ports allowing people on board for a tour of the ship & lunch. I think the cost was $39 pp. I am pretty sure they discontinued the program

7 minutes ago, paul929207 said:

Answers will likely vary by cruise line and quite likely by port. 

Princes used to have a thing in some (all?) US ports allowing people on board for a tour of the ship & lunch. I think the cost was $39 pp. I am pretty sure they discontinued the program

It was called Bon Voyage Experience, and only in a few ports which were all departure ports, not ports of call.  And yes, it has been discontinued.  EM

For OP, getting permission to visit a ship from a different line will probably not happen. For clo, this will depend on the cruise lines and ports security plan, and the guest will have to provide identity documents in advance.

• Thanks 1

Since 9/11 I really doubt it . Did it often in 80’s was just able to walk on ship with another passenger, also if two holland America ships were in Bermuda showing your card from one , they would allow you to board . 

Many years ago, after leaving P&O, I used to routinely visit the ships in Vancouver, often stopping in for lunch. However, since the implementation of the ISPS Code, every ship must have a Security Plan, which has procedures controlling access to the ship.

In my experience, when visiting our son, who also worked in the industry, we had to submit personal details to the ship at least 48 hrs in advance of arrival. Our names were included on the visitor list and we required photo ID. Therefore, if you know an officer or crew member on that ship, you have a reasonable chance of getting a visit.

Otherwise, it is highly unlikely that any Ship Security Plan would accept unknown visitors, certainly not if you just arrive at the gangway. 

Edited by Heidi13

I agree with Michalin, and anyone who has been on ships during their stops.

They track everyone on and off, even crewmembers. 

On departure you present photo id, get a mug shot, get a cruise card which is your ID.   At every port to exit you scan and to enter on you scan, and always go thru x-ray and metal detector, think TSA in USA.   

No way they going to let a guest on, think about it, you are on, then what if you decide to not get off, or keep your own time, the ship won't sail with you on it, how do they find you.   Too much complication in this day and sad age of terrorism.

Meet your friend on shore,   fact of the matter in many foreign ports even getting to the dock is restricted!

1 hour ago, George C said:

Since 9/11 I really doubt it . Did it often in 80’s was just able to walk on ship with another passenger, also if two holland America ships were in Bermuda showing your card from one , they would allow you to board . 

Heck, up through the 90s, you would walk to the airport gate and wait with a departing passenger.  Or meet them at the gate.

• Like 1

I also believe this is no longer allowed. The only time recently I've noticed/heard the announcement for people not cruising that it was time for them to leave...was TA's lunch/tour and of course wedding guests that had boarded for an onboard wedding from the embarkment port.

As Ashland has indicated, the only time I've seen non-passenger ship visits recently are with TA tours and weddings.  But the OP's request to visit one cruise line's ship in port while cruising on another will in all likelihood be denied.  There are often numerous ships in ports of call at the same time.  Wanting to tour one other than yours is nothing I've ever seen permitted.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

7 hours ago, Michalina said:

The only cruise line that allowed this in recent years is Hurtigruten all other cruise lines do not allow this because of security concerns.

We have been guests of various cruise lines for years for a tour and usually lunch - the latest being last fall (most cruise ships seem to visit between fall and spring).  We often get a printed invitation, and must reply in advance with whatever security information is requested.  Our travel agent coordinates everything, and it is a pleasant few hours.  We are not free to roam the ship, but the tour takes care of that.  

8 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

For OP, getting permission to visit a ship from a different line will probably not happen. For clo, this will depend on the cruise lines and ports security plan, and the guest will have to provide identity documents in advance.

Yeah, if it even works we can meet onshore.

7 hours ago, Michalina said:

The only cruise line that allowed this in recent years is Hurtigruten all other cruise lines do not allow this because of security concerns.

And that's because they have day passengers in Norway anyway.

I have managed 28 different cruise ships for 14 different cruise lines over the past 37 years.

Every one of those ships had - and still has - visitors every week of the year.

Typically the visitors are arranged through head office, but sometimes they contact the ship directly.

Captain / Staff Captain typically must give final permission.

As mentioned above, details of the visitors (passport scan) must be submitted to cruise line security and port security a few days before the ship arrives.

In ports where we are more familiar with the port security people, last minute visitors can be arranged with little fuss.

As Hotel Manager, I often receive last minute visitor requests from former colleagues on other ships in port. I always manage to get them on for lunch and a tour.