Hurricane Dorian talk

Has anyone here been on a shortened itinerary before?  (I'm getting on the Navigator tomorrow)

I'm not too fussed about the $ credits or FCC I believe it will work out in time.  I'm curious though, what to expect as far as dining reservations, shows, activities, etc.  Has the crew been through this sort of thing enough to know how to sort it smoothly or will it be utter chaos?

I'm guessing that the ship will be half empty due to many who just cancel, so this should be interesting...

1 minute ago, GWBonthego said:

Has anyone here been on a shortened itinerary before?  (I'm getting on the Navigator tomorrow)

I'm not too fussed about the $ credits or FCC I believe it will work out in time.  I'm curious though, what to expect as far as dining reservations, shows, activities, etc.  Has the crew been through this sort of thing enough to know how to sort it smoothly or will it be utter chaos?

I'm guessing that the ship will be half empty due to many who just cancel, so this should be interesting...

Enjoy...the revised cruise is barely 36 hours which includes 2 nights of sleep. I find it criminal that they are replacing a 5 day cruise with that itinerary instead of offering refunds. Forcing customers to accept a FCC given the circumstances is a raw deal for those that may not be able to use the credits due to having a life that takes precedence...... 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, molly361 said:

Our house in Marathon after Hurricane Wilma in 2005  Sure glad I moved up here to Central Florida  😇

image.thumb.png.61d6368204b61fd8dd366ae4615d3ce4.png

We moved to FLL after Charlie and then after Katrina and Wilma, my husband could not take it anymore.  So we boomeranged back to GA.

18 minutes ago, bclinton said:

Enjoy...the revised cruise is barely 36 hours which includes 2 nights of sleep. I find it criminal that they are replacing a 5 day cruise with that itinerary instead of offering refunds. Forcing customers to accept a FCC given the circumstances is a raw deal for those that may not be able to use the credits due to having a life that takes precedence...... 

4 day cruise 😉

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Like 1

Can anyone give me an update on the airports?? 

Have a friends son on a carnival (i know thats a bad word here) ship.  They are suppose to get back into miami tomorrow.  From what I can tell Miami airport is running as normal  other than flights in and out of NC and SC

Also, is is looking good for the ports to open back up tomorrow???   They are a couple of young couples on their first cruise and really first major trip.  And they have no clue what to do.  They are whoever having a great time in Key West and Cozumel.  

24 minutes ago, GWBonthego said:

Oasis was half empty for a 4 day cruise after Irma. Laura had a great time.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, furloughedagain said:

I wonder how they got those photos. Webcam? 

We visited Disney’s Castaway Cay after a hurricane a few years back - granted nowhere near as powerful as Dorian. They had it cleaned up quickly but many of the trees were damaged and most of the vegetation was browned by the salt water.

Hopefully Royal will be able to support those employees who live on Abaco.

Official word from Miami is that the only images they have are from webcams, and that they won’t know the full extent of the damage until their assessment team can get to the island tomorrow. The statement also said that they are trying to make contact with their 400 Bahamian employees to make sure they’re safe and figure out when thye’ll be able to return to work. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

How did you know this?

I don't know but it just seemed to me like it not would throttle  South FL like Andrew, Wilma and Irma.

Right now over northern GA we have a large high pressure system keeping everything dry and hot, no precip at all predicted here, in fact we are coming close to being in a drought mode.

1 hour ago, Mrs Lewdawg said:

Hindsight means realizing something in retrospect, after the fact. So you "understood the situation or event only after it happened". 

Why are you quoting me?  I was just joking about how Judyrem knew the hurricane wasn't going to hit Florida.  I guess I should have used a smiley face.

No one knows where a hurricane is going to go.  I do know what hindsight means. :classic_smile:

Edited by CruisinCrow
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

waterbugohio:

I'm seeing this.  Scroll down for scheduled reopenings.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/hurricane-dorian-airport-closures/

great site.  thank you very much.  

sounds like they have a flight scheduled home tomorrow night.  Now to wait and see if it all works out. 

Pictures of Bahamas are heartbreaking. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JTJT1 said:

RCI customer service is a joke.  Does anyone have an email or a phone number for someone higher than a manager at a call center?  Last night I spent over an hour on the phone regarding the switch from mariner to Harmony. I was told because we are still losing a night we would get one nights worth of onboard credit, and our prepaid gratuities refunded back to the credit card for one night.  I also have that in writing from two different people. This morning we got our new reservation and it was not showing any onboard credit.   So I’ve spent two hours on the phone this morning and even though I emailed them where I had it in writing they are refusing to honor it. 

You do realize that RCL customer service is dealing with thousands and thousands of people in a very difficult situation? Calling them over and over is not helping. I'm sure they are doing the best they can. Take a deep breath!

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Susan in Maine said:

You do realize that RCL customer service is dealing with thousands and thousands of people in a very difficult situation? Calling them over and over is not helping. I'm sure they are doing the best they can. Take a deep breath!

They also chose to close the customer service center yesterday...the holiday......this compounded the problem.

3 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

I wonder if the dry docks in Freeport future readiness impact any upcoming RCI ship dry dock.

Freeport already lost its ability to dry dock large ships after the Oasis incident.  The only options are a floating dry dock like Carnival used, or crossing the Atlantic.

1 hour ago, GWBonthego said:

We were on the 4 day Allure after Irma.  That was about half full.  So no problem with anything at all.  Most of the wait staff had nothing to do during dinner.  Excellent service seeing no one was 'overworked'.  Many crew members were able to enjoy the extra free time with the passengers.  Enjoy the trip!

20 minutes ago, timf2001 said:

Freeport already lost its ability to dry dock large ships after the Oasis incident.  The only options are a floating dry dock like Carnival used, or crossing the Atlantic.

Not sure what other ships planned to use the dry dock damaged by Oasis, but I assume, till Dorian, other docks were planned/available to be used for smaller ships, like the Freedom dry dock in Jan. Will those facilities be usable in time to NOT affect dry docks for ships that planned to go there before Dorian? 

3 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Not sure what other ships planned to use the dry dock damaged by Oasis, but I assume, till Dorian, other docks were planned/available to be used for smaller ships, like the Freedom dry dock in Jan. Will those facilities be usable in time to NOT affect dry docks for ships that planned to go there before Dorian? 

I believe Voyager and Freedom class ships both had to use the dock that was damaged because of their size.

45 minutes ago, bclinton said:

They also chose to close the customer service center yesterday...the holiday......this compounded the problem.

Even Customer Service reps are sometimes scheduled off from their regular shifts on Labor Day. I imagine with all the stuff going on, they needed the break more than anyone. It will all get sorted out.

• Like 3

Dealing the public sucks it really does.

- RC opens off shore call centers around the Bahamas to provide longer operational call center hours to service their customers at a lower price...and people are outraged.

- RC closes on shore call center for holiday while the offshore call centers may or may not be experiencing an active hurricane....and people are outraged.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1