Am I overreacting? Smoking on balcony.

JoeFan

I may have missed this...but what ship are you on?  And how does someone light up a joint at the pool, and noone (staff or cruisers) say anything?  AND..you need to call security on the people next door.

I am a smoker, but I follow the rules.  I go where I'm allowed.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Nessa1dc said:

I may have missed this...but what ship are you on?  And how does someone light up a joint at the pool, and noone (staff or cruisers) say anything?  AND..you need to call security on the people next door.

I am a smoker, but I follow the rules.  I go where I'm allowed.

I believe most smokers do. 

X smoker...

Seems to me the reaction to the pool pot and the balcony smoking are related to the OP's reactions. Didn't ask for RC intervention at the pool, but did ask for help about the balcony. Had a request for help at the pool been rebuffed as it was about the balcony, we would see lots of the same unhappiness about Security's reaction, and the same suggestions for what action could be taken.  

• Like 2

I really should have pointed out to the RC staff member right next to me. I am sure he could have smelt it. The dude smoking the weed was a big guy with another big guy. Wasn’t looking to get a whooping. 

But we did report the cabin next to us. They followed with a call today to see if everything was ok. They may have talked to them. No smoke today yet. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, davekathy said:

What are you smoking.  OK based on that vaping, cigar, cigarette and pipe smokers could do the same at the pool or anywhere else on the ship. 🙄

They can and they do, most ships have a smoking section at the pool.  How do we know the OP's family did not sit near a smoking section and wasn't aware of it?  The point of the OP's post was not the pot, it was the balcony smoking.

The pot was certainly not the smoking area. 

We finally found some seats with shade and the guy sat down right next to me. He had a vape pen in one hand. I was like this isn’t going to be good. Then in his other hand tucked in a hand rolled joint. It smelt like some ran over a skunk. 

I was like doesn’t anyone else smell this?

It it drove us away. We were upset, as there were no other seats. But at least we could get away from it. So my wife was like screw this. So I sent here back to the cabin while I did watched my daughter on the flow rider. Then when I got back to the stateroom, my wife and son were none to pleased to be chased off our balcony from cigarette smoke.

It was a kind of perfect storm. 

12 hours ago, Mythbuster said:

They can and they do, most ships have a smoking section at the pool.  How do we know the OP's family did not sit near a smoking section and wasn't aware of it?  The point of the OP's post was not the pot, it was the balcony smoking.

The smoking sections are either port or starboard. Not near each other. I gave the OP the benefit of the doubt that they knew the difference. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 1

IMHO you are wildly overreacting.  I have now seen you posting this on a few different forums......you are literally wasting your entire vacation because of a couple hits on a joint (Maybe, seems VERY unlikely he sparked a joint on the pool deck).  In my opinion you should find him and ask for a puff.....you need to mellow out man...

6&8

Edited by sixesandeights
  • Like 3

I ratted out my neighbors on Indy.  They started while we were at the pier before muster and didn't stop day after day.  I called and complained.  When it didn't stop I engaged cabin attendant and deck supervisor who stopped by to discuss it with me.  Day 3 when it didn't stop I tweeted Royal who contacted the ship.  The offenders didn't speak english and weren't from the US so they found a crew member who spoke their language.  Day 4 when it continued I spoke with the Diamond Concierge and explained who all I had spoken with about it from day 1.

They eventually stopped.  The deck supervisor stopped by a number of times to check on it.  

I let them know it wasn't complaining to get something, I just wanted it to stop.   I came back after dinner and found an FCC letter on my bed for $230 (percentage of cruise fare arrived at this amount).   I assume that was funded by the fine my neighbors supposedly had paid.

So don't take no or let a GS person who doesn't feel like dealing with it stop you.  Call security, not just guest services.  Escalate from there if it doesn't stop.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, twangster said:

So don't take no or let a GS person who doesn't feel like dealing with it stop you.  Call security, not just guest services.  Escalate from there if it doesn't stop.

Excellent advise. The smell of smoke drives me crazy and could ruin my balcony experience that I paid for.

• Like 4

My wife and I were onboard HAL Westerdam going through the Panama Canal and some jerk tossed his cigar butt off the deck. Almost made it to the water till it blew back on our balcony. Fortunately it didn't hit anyone. Just rude and inconsiderate along with dangerous.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, twangster said:

I ratted out my neighbors on Indy.  They started while we were at the pier before muster and didn't stop day after day.  I called and complained.  When it didn't stop I engaged cabin attendant and deck supervisor who stopped by to discuss it with me.  Day 3 when it didn't stop I tweeted Royal who contacted the ship.  The offenders didn't speak english and weren't from the US so they found a crew member who spoke their language.  Day 4 when it continued I spoke with the Diamond Concierge and explained who all I had spoken with about it from day 1.

They eventually stopped.  The deck supervisor stopped by a number of times to check on it.  

I let them know it wasn't complaining to get something, I just wanted it to stop.   I came back after dinner and found an FCC letter on my bed for $230 (percentage of cruise fare arrived at this amount).   I assume that was funded by the fine my neighbors supposedly had paid.

We have found the deck supervisor to be much more help in stopping it. Security is pretty useless unless you have proof, which we did.

On 8/27/2019 at 4:58 PM, JoeFan said:

I called. They said unless they catch them there is nothing they can do. 

You have to show a bit of backbone with them.  You're in the right and you paid to be there.  They need to fix the situation.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ok. Today is day 5. We got back from Roatán and my daughter was on the deck for sail away and they were smoking again. I called guest services and they were up right away and caught them and gave them a warning. With next offense a $250 fine. He seemed to be certain they wouldn’t do it again. We shall see. 

• Like 6

On 8/29/2019 at 5:00 AM, Host Clarea said:

I assume it has something do to with local laws.  Not sure if Royal has to follow those laws, or it's just the path of least resistance for them.

Yes, In Australia and New Zealand there are strict laws regarding smoking and vaping in public areas along with bars, cafes and shared inside areas.

The cruise lines operating from our ports seem to follow these laws as well as the alcohol age of 18 years and older while in ANZAC and South Pacific waters.

For me the smoking issue is about 1) SAFETY and 2) It is in the cruise contract that you accept when you pay for your cruise.

There are a lot of things that 1 and 2 cover, should they also be flouted because of someone else's lifestyle choices?

The rules are there for a reason, if you don't like them or can't cruise within them, find a vaycay that works for you.

TraceyG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 8/27/2019 at 9:53 PM, JoeFan said:

On HOS now.

My wife was going to read on the pool deck. We managed to find chairs on a sea day and some guy sits down next to my family and starts smoking pot. 

We bail on that situation and I send her back to the room to read on our balcony. When the couple next to us starts smoking Om their balcony. Which they have done several times a day. We can’t sit on our balcony without smelling smoke. 

We rang security when a group in a balcony near us were smoking and throwing their cigarette ends into the sea.

Security came in about 10 minutes and asked to go on our balcony and we pointed out the offender's balcony.

We heard no more but the smoking stopped.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, JoeFan said:

Ok. Today is day 5. We got back from Roatán and my daughter was on the deck for sail away and they were smoking again. I called guest services and they were up right away and caught them and gave them a warning. With next offense a $250 fine. He seemed to be certain they wouldn’t do it again. We shall see. 

Sounds like a very fair way to handle you on the 5th day of your vacation; more NOTHING. 

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

We rang security when a group in a balcony near us were smoking and throwing their cigarette ends into the sea.

Security came in about 10 minutes and asked to go on our balcony and we pointed out the offender's balcony.

We heard no more but the smoking stopped.

We call the ends “butts” here in the US. I think smoking should be banned period. It taxes our Healthcare System and drives up costs for non smokers. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

We call the ends “butts” here in the US. I think smoking should be banned period. It taxes our Healthcare System and drives up costs for non smokers. 

I totally agree.

Smoking related diseases is a massive strain on our UK health service too

• Like 3

On 8/28/2019 at 1:09 PM, atush said:

Generally speaking, cruises follow the laws of the country they go out of.  No indoor smoking allowed in shops, restaurants, offices etc.  Public spaces.  Is allowed in private spaces such as your home.

Like no drinking for under 21s on US cruises even though it is allowed pretty much everywhere else.

The thing is, in the US, there is no "laws of the country" regarding where smoking is allowed or not.  Those laws are set by the states, not by the federal government.  Different states have different laws.

• Like 1

On one of our cruises we had an aft veranda and noticed the passengers next to us smoked on their's.

The part that made me flip out was that they had the ^%$&s to slide their ashtray (not even emptied) under the divider between the verandas over to our side. 

I called my stateroom steward and brought this to his attention and he brought security people back with him. 

There was no more smoking on the veranda after that.

• Like 3