If the price drops after final payment can you get the lower price?

DimSum

Hello!

I saw that the cruise that I will be cruising on this November has dropped in price.  I have a BX category cabin and have already paid the final payment.  Can I ask for a price adjustment to the current lower price?  They have also assigned my cabin room will I lose that cabin if I ask for the price adjustment?

The best that they will offer is to upgrade you to a cabin that is in the range of the original price you paid. So for example, I recently paid for an inside Guarantee, the price dropped and now what I originally paid was in the price range for an obstructed window which I was upgraded to. They don't always do this, but sometimes it works. I have heard that on a rare occasion they may offer you some on board credit to make up the difference, but this to may or may not happen.

Hope this helps.

It always amuses me when I continually read of people wanting a price reduction after paying just because the price may have been reduced. Do they query the price if it increases? If you buy a TV from Argos or Curry's and the price goes down after you have paid for it, do you go back to the store and ask for a partial refund? I suspect no.

• Like 1

On a recent cruise I was in a BX category and my cabin was assigned.  After final payment the price went down to $500 less than I paid (solo).  They offered me an upgrade to a mini suite at no charge, which I accepted.  They also told me that if the price went down any more, there would be nothing more available to me.  I ended up with a midship mini suite on deck 13.  

57 minutes ago, cottagers2000 said:

It always amuses me when I continually read of people wanting a price reduction after paying just because the price may have been reduced. Do they query the price if it increases? If you buy a TV from Argos or Curry's and the price goes down after you have paid for it, do you go back to the store and ask for a partial refund? I suspect no.

If I buy a large ticket item, and I see the price is lower in a store's price adjustment period, I'll ask for a partial refund.

As for my personal experience with the topic at hand, in January I saw the price of my cruise on the Jade went down, after final payment. I had an interior cabin booked. I know they don't do price adjustments at all, before final payment, you can cancel and rebook, but not get a price adjustment. So I asked if I could upgrade to an oceanview cabin that was less than $50 more than my interior booking. They allowed this, and it also allowed me to add the dining package along with the drink package, and they were running a promo for unlimited internet as well!

So it wasn't a reduction in price, in fact it cost me about $100 for the two of us in the cabin, but I came out ahead since I got the dining package and internet.

If the fare (price) drops after Final Payment -

You may get ONLY -1- of the following:

An upgrade to a better cabin in the same fare (price) range if available - ask or request this

The fare difference in OBC 25% rule i.e. fare drops $400 per person OBC will be $100 pp

Acceptance of your bid offer for a cabin not in the same fare category - additional cash input required

Any of these will be a ONE TIME TRANSACTION - no redo undo changes after that Final Deal

Any perks bennies promos OBC formerly with your old cabin may or may not be carried forward to the new one

Don't be so quick to leap at this at 50-60 or more days out - wait until about the 30 day period and you

maybe in a better bargaining period.

Watch similar cruises in and near the same time frame and see what develops - - -

Read on here at CC for more developments - - -

Remember this is a one time deal or one and done.

This is not the Official policy of NCL - but it resembles it

Just an observation made reading CC posts and guest replies !

Don't hold back trying to improve your cabin situation

Member Readers add comments - - -

We have had both happen to us. Once when the price dropped we were given the choice of a cabin upgrades (mini suite) or on board credit. We took the on board credit. This was on both cruises (b2b).  This year (again b2b) when the  price dropped we called and asked for an upgrade to a mini suite for both cruises which we received with no problems. Both times it was after final payment.

I have discovered no policy is written in stone. It never hurt to ask. All that can be said is yes or no. For us the answers so far have always been YES

I would never ever let anyone on this website or any where else discourage me from asking a question when it comes to my money or the money I have spent. Especially when I have nothing to lose. 

Happy cruising to all!

3 hours ago, cottagers2000 said:

Actually, people do.  Stores like Costco have 90 day return/rebuy when price drop.  Bestbuy offers price drop protection prior to actual delivery of an item that its scheduled to be shipped/delivered.  Walmart (use to) offer 7 day price drop refund as well.  Lots of premium credit cards also offer price drop protection for big ticket items.  Reasonable inquiry for the occasional cruiser.

• Thanks 1

The price of our cruise dropped last week .We were told that we could get 25% of the difference which was $25pp. In the form of OBC. But that if it dropped again we were out of luck . Basically telling us to wait it out a bit, When called back to just take the $25 OBC as we are a week out, we were told NO. the ship is sold out so even though the price is lower we can’t have the   OBC. Bad communication , but it is what is it

2 hours ago, Joken35 said:

The price of our cruise dropped last week .We were told that we could get 25% of the difference which was $25pp. In the form of OBC. But that if it dropped again we were out of luck . Basically telling us to wait it out a bit, When called back to just take the $25 OBC as we are a week out, we were told NO. the ship is sold out so even though the price is lower we can’t have the   OBC. Bad communication , but it is what is it

At 25% $25 OBC nothing lost there - a cheap lesson in NCL booking - - -

Next time book the cabin you can afford and sit back for the upgrading bid to something better within your

extended budget - watch the fares right up to the Final Payment - - -

After a while you will know how to game the system.

Sorry your experience was a bummer

I just did.  My TA called on my behalf and got a reduction.  I was credited 25% of the drop in OBC - about $180 as it was a SIGNIFICANT drop.

Every cruise line is different.  Some frequently drop, some don’t.  

It never hurts to ask.  

10 hours ago, cottagers2000 said:

ha ha Actually yes if they have broken the rules and not had it on sale for thirty days at a higher price...

Lesson here is this - unless you are bothered for a particular cabin or sailing  outside the holiday season leave it late - we ALWAYS do and each time the price drops at the 8-10 weeks out stage. Indeed look at Encore TA.

Its a game of chance as is life generally - forget the drop and enjoy your cruise  

3 hours ago, don't-use-real-name said:

At 25% $25 OBC nothing lost there - a cheap lesson in NCL booking - - -

Next time book the cabin you can afford and sit back for the upgrading bid to something better within your

extended budget - watch the fares right up to the Final Payment - - -

After a while you will know how to game the system.

Sorry your experience was a bummer

AGREED 

7 hours ago, Glide_Path said:

Actually, people do.  Stores like Costco have 90 day return/rebuy when price drop.  Bestbuy offers price drop protection prior to actual delivery of an item that its scheduled to be shipped/delivered.  Walmart (use to) offer 7 day price drop refund as well.  Lots of premium credit cards also offer price drop protection for big ticket items.  Reasonable inquiry for the occasional cruiser.

Fair point - indeed Costco UK is even longer 

15 hours ago, DimSum said:

Hello!

I saw that the cruise that I will be cruising on this November has dropped in price.  I have a BX category cabin and have already paid the final payment.  Can I ask for a price adjustment to the current lower price?  They have also assigned my cabin room will I lose that cabin if I ask for the price adjustment?

Oh my. this question must come up about once a moth, then goes away until it comes up again: No price adjustment. If the price went up would you be willing to pay more? I doubt it, but you can get an upgrade sometimes or an OBC. The OBC will not be the full amount of the price reduction. Still it is better than nothing and OBC are always fun. 

13 hours ago, cottagers2000 said:

totally agree

We booked on the Jewel to Alaska quite a ways out, and as we got closer the prices started dropping.  I would check to see what they could do, and finally about 2 weeks out, they offered to upgrade us to a family balcony.  The total cost of the upgrade was $79.00, but we got a $100 OBC and a second Free at Sea Perk, so they basically paid us $21.00 to upgrade plus free Specialty Dining.  I would recommend patience, persistence, and politeness, they worked well for us.

• Like 1

It also depends with whom you booked the cruise.  We booked a GTY/SA Inside cabin with our PCC several years ago & the price dropped significantly less than a week later.  I called our PCC & he got us bumped up to a Balcony with no additional $$ spent!  As several previous posters mentioned he also told us we would NOT get any further adjustments (OBC, cabin change, etc) if the price dropped any further (it didn't, TG!). 

So lesson learned; if you have a good PCC with whom you work with regularly then try & book your cabin with him/her rather than through the website or the regular reservation 800-number.  This way you have a "real" human being you can talk with to plead your case if you need to.

Good luck!!