Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Racdan

First time on Viking Drinks question

Recommended Posts

 Hope you experienced Viking cruisers can help with the following questions.

1.  What is the cost of the Silver drinks package (I cannot seem to find it on the Viking website)

2.  Has anyone got a photo of the drinks menu re cost

3.  Do Viking have a Happy Hour (my DH is twittering about this in my ear as I type)

Hope to be on a caribbean cruise this November left it until the last minute due to my husbands hip replacement problems haven't had a decent holiday for two years so badly in need of some R & R.

Thank you in anticipation of all your help

 

 

Edited by Racdan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Racdan said:

 Hope you experienced Viking cruisers can help with the following questions.

1.  What is the cost of the Silver drinks package (I cannot seem to find it on the Viking website)

2.  Has anyone got a photo of the drinks menu re cost

3.  Do Viking have a Happy Hour (my DH is twittering about this in my ear as I type)

Hope to be on a caribbean cruise this November left it until the last minute due to my husbands hip replacement problems haven't had a decent holiday for two years so badly in need of some R & R.

Thank you in anticipation of all your 

Cost depends on length of your cruise and come out to be $20 per day per person.  It includes tips and both people in cabin must take the package.  I think I attached a photo of The Viking Living Room bar menu.  It's the same for all bars.  There is no happy hour however you are sometimes handed a glass of bubbly as you return from an excursion.  If you join your CC Roll Call you will be invited to a Meet & Mingle with free drinks and appetizers.  Even if you don't get the package, you will be offered free house wine or beer of the day with lunch and dinner.  So approx 11:30-2:00 and 6:00-9:00 you get beer and wine in any of the dining venues.  Pours are generous and often.  So depending on what, where and when you want to drink...Oh the SS package also includes soda, fancy coffees, juice etc. any time.  Water bottles are plentiful and free no matter what.  Plus you have water carafs in your room refilled twice per day.  Think this about covers it.

onboardbeveragemenu_oceans.pdf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great menu. Thank you for posting updated. Does anyone know if Viking is offering any caffeine free sugar fee yet?  In the past there was coke and coke light, but no caffeine free. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Racdan said:

 Hope you experienced Viking cruisers can help with the following questions.

1.  What is the cost of the Silver drinks package (I cannot seem to find it on the Viking website)

2.  Has anyone got a photo of the drinks menu re cost

3.  Do Viking have a Happy Hour (my DH is twittering about this in my ear as I type)

Hope to be on a caribbean cruise this November left it until the last minute due to my husbands hip replacement problems haven't had a decent holiday for two years so badly in need of some R & R.

Thank you in anticipation of all your help

 

 

In my opinion, if you like a choice of wine ~ other than red or white, would like a morning cocktail, Bloody Mary, mimosa, screwdriver etc, Cocktail or beer poolside, before dinner or after dinner cocktail , evening nightcap ...You get my drift. It is worth it!   3 drinks ( a person) other than your beer or wine with your meals a day, including tips ~ it is a bargain!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just to be clear, all coffee except that which includes alcohol, tea and hot chocolate are free 24/7. There are cans of soda in your minibar, replenished daily except in V. Minibar contents may be consumed anywhere on the ship. 

 

BYO policy is liberal; you can bring potables potent or otherwise and consume them anywhere on board. Bartender will even give you glasses and ice. There is no corkage fee in the dining room.  In fact, Viking encourages you to sample the local tipples--beers, wines, liqueurs, etc. 

 

People seem to go for the package for two reasons: either it saves them money or they like the convenience. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FYI, if still not sure about the SSP, you can wait until the day you board the ship, and that day only, to make your final decision. Talk to one of the bartenders. I believe they can get you signed up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We took our first cruise last year with Viking and turned down the SS package.  Neither of us drink a lot and found we could get a refill of wine from lunch or dinner and take it with us.  I think our bar tab at the end of our 11 day trans Atlantic trip was just over $100, a far cry from the $440 that the package would cost us.  We didn’t deprive ourselves, just didn’t drink enough to make it worthwhile.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I suspect your itinerary might figure into the calculations.  I think I'd probably have a few more drinks on a sea day.  Maybe a mimosa with breakfast,  a poolside drink, a cocktail before and or after dinner.  But If I'm up early and out the door excursioning I'm not drinking on the ship.  I don't think having the drinks I described while on holiday is over doing it.  It's a holiday... and I'm sure a nap after lunch would be a welcome indulgance! 🙂

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

 

BYO policy is liberal; you can bring potables potent or otherwise and consume them anywhere on board

 

People seem to go for the package for two reasons: either it saves them money or they like the convenience. 

The BYOB policy is awesome. The itinerary could have an impact on what is available to bring on board depending on which part of the world you are sailing. 

 

I would just add that other very very big reason that people go for the SSP is the opportunity to enjoy upgraded and greater selection of wines. 

Edited by Vineyard View

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Liz Masterson said:

I suspect your itinerary might figure into the calculations.  I think I'd probably have a few more drinks on a sea day.  Maybe a mimosa with breakfast,  a poolside drink, a cocktail before and or after dinner.  But If I'm up early and out the door excursioning I'm not drinking on the ship.  I don't think having the drinks I described while on holiday is over doing it.  It's a holiday... and I'm sure a nap after lunch would be a welcome indulgance! 🙂

 

HA ~ After the nap it's time for those cocktails!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the package also expands your wine/beer choices ... rather than being limited to the wine of the day you can choose any of the 'by the glass' and there are a bunch.  We often saw a fresh bottle being opened for our 'glass' choice. Ditto the 'included beer' is typically draft (for or last Ocean it was Carlsburg for the light altho the dark was something local and canned) .. package lets you pick any . . .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Capt_BJ said:

the package also expands your wine/beer choices ... rather than being limited to the wine of the day you can choose any of the 'by the glass' and there are a bunch.  We often saw a fresh bottle being opened for our 'glass' choice. Ditto the 'included beer' is typically draft (for or last Ocean it was Carlsburg for the light altho the dark was something local and canned) .. package lets you pick any . . .

We were allowed to choose any beer without buying the package in February.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, caskale said:

We were allowed to choose any beer without buying the package in February.

Same experience at Pool Bar on my cruise.  Dark beers offered changed.  Not a beer drinker but I made an exception.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well ... the inconsistencies drive me crazy - I don't want to worry about it so I'm just going to buy the SS package and call it a day!  Thanks for the input! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Drink it up

This one's for you

It's been a lovely cruise

 

I'm sorry it's ended

Sad but it's true

It's been a lovely cruise

 

- Jimmy Buffet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, TayanaLorna said:

Drink it up

This one's for you

It's been a lovely cruise

 

I'm sorry it's ended

Sad but it's true

It's been a lovely cruise

 

- Jimmy Buffet

 

Another ParrotHead - yes!!

 

CILCIANRQTS - Changes In Latitude, Changes In Attitude...etc.

Margarita’s are on me!!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, TayanaLorna said:

Drink it up

This one's for you

It's been a lovely cruise

 

I'm sorry it's ended

Sad but it's true

It's been a lovely cruise

 

- Jimmy Buffet

 

Ah yes!  Love it, TayanaLorna! 

Brings back memories....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CCWineLover said:

 

Ah yes!  Love it, TayanaLorna! 

Brings back memories....

May you always remember

These moments are shared by few

🌴

We cruised on our own sailboat for 30 years.  The last 15 in the Caribbean.  Would sing this song when returning from a season.  Just sold the boat in July.  Lorna Doone, a Tayana 37.  She was a classic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems to me that one issue with Silver Spirits Beverage pack is that both passengers have to sign up for whole cruise ? Would be much more inclined to just sign up for the days at sea and not the whole cruise 🙂 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Flashman181 said:

Seems to me that one issue with Silver Spirits Beverage pack is that both passengers have to sign up for whole cruise ? Would be much more inclined to just sign up for the days at sea and not the whole cruise 🙂 

 

Yes, both pax have to sign up for it.

 

I don't know that there is any cruise line that allows you to buy a package for just the days you want it; it is all or nothing.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think some lines might allow a purchase on the second day, but I've also never heard of ordering just for certain days.  I've also heard of some lines having drink "tickets" where you would pay a set price for 10 drinks at a discounted rate.  (Caveat, I've only sailed mainstream lines to this point).

 

My husband and I plan to get the package for our cruise next year.  We might not save any money, but I suspect we will be close.  We have 4 full sea days plus embarkation and should be onboard by 5:00 at most ports.  We are using Viking Air which will have us arrive the day of our cruise (not thrilled about that, but that's what trip insurance is for) so it won't be convenient to bring anything with us and we will enjoy trying new drinks.

 

I didn't see cider listed on the menu.  Does anyone know if cider is available, what brand(s), and if it counts as beer?

 

Also, are there any sweet wines, like Moscato?

Edited by pacruise804

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw a comparison of drinks and/or wine bottle package costs for a bunch of the major Cruise lines.  They were all way more then the Viking Silver Spirits package. 

 

I don't recall cider but there were sweet wines and port available.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/8/2019 at 6:59 AM, Peregrina651 said:

 

Yes, both pax have to sign up for it.

 

I don't know that there is any cruise line that allows you to buy a package for just the days you want it; it is all or nothing.

 

Windstar Does! We were shocked and very happy. I don't drink as much as hubby so he got it and I didn't! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a $3,000 Norwegian Cruise Line Gift Card
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...