Dress Code

rhinomike

We wear normal clothes. My husband takes one pair of khakis in case I want to eat in the dining room. I wear capris. We do not eat in the dining room on gala nights. Don’t want to take up space in our suitcase for something we care nothing about. Other than gala nights you don’t need special clothes

12 hours ago, rhinomike said:

Defiantly not first time cruisers but first time on Holland America. We are thinking about booking a cruise in August sailing out of Amsterdam. Curious about the dress code and how strictly enforced it is. Thank you. 

Just follow the dress code outlined on the HAL website and you will be fine.  A European cruise likely will be dressier than a Caribbean cruise though.  The only time I saw anyone turned away on Gala night was a man in shorts.

• Like 1

Thank you for the responses. We primarily Cruise NCL, Carnival and RC. We are hoping HOlland America is similar. In the main dining room for dinner we wear nice shorts and a T-shirt. On formal night we wear slacks and a polo. Will We be ok doing the same on Holland America?  I don’t want to be turned away. Thank you. 

7 minutes ago, rhinomike said:

Thank you for the responses. We primarily Cruise NCL, Carnival and RC. We are hoping HOlland America is similar. In the main dining room for dinner we wear nice shorts and a T-shirt. On formal night we wear slacks and a polo. Will We be ok doing the same on Holland America?  I don’t want to be turned away. Thank you. 

Did you see the post above yours?

Please read the suggested dress code on the HAL website. It will tell you what is expected as far as dress.

Remember, when one leaves home to travel, one should be aware of the cultural practices (for lack of a better why to put it) of the locale to which you are traveling and respect those practices.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

Please read the suggested dress code on the HAL website. It will tell you what is expected as far as dress.

Remember, when one leaves home to travel, one should be aware of the cultural practices (for lack of a better why to put it) of the locale to which you are traveling and respect those practices.

Yes. I understand. I live in a very warm area in So Cal. It is not uncommon at all to wear dress shorts, deck shoes or nice sandals and a polo to a 5 star restaurant. That is why I ask. I have dressed that way in the MDR in Carnival, NCL and RC. Never had a problem. Sometimes the dress codes are vague so I like to check here and see what is real. If I dress like that will I be turned away for dinner at the MDR?  

For Gala night I will do slacks and a collared shirt.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rhinomike said:

In the main dining room for dinner we wear nice shorts and a T-shirt. On formal night we wear slacks and a polo. Will We be ok doing the same on Holland America?  I don’t want to be turned away. Thank you. 

Shorts are fine for breakfast and lunch in the dining room, but you will likely find yourself having to change if you appear in them at dinner.  Check out the HAL website for particulars.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

25 minutes ago, rhinomike said:

If I dress like that will I be turned away for dinner at the MDR?  

Since the dress code for men is at least long pants (including dungarees on smart casual nights), you should expect to be refused entry to the dining room if you are wearing shorts. 
It can't be made any clearer than that. 

• Like 1

Shorts are not allowed in the dining room.  They enforce that.

Most evenings smart casual attire is appropriate. Shorts, pool/ beachwear, distressed jeans and men’s tank tops are best left to the daytime and are not permitted in fine dining restaurants.

For those who will inevitably post to report seeing otherwise once, it is not the typical situation.

You can wear shorts if you want to eat in the buffet, though.

10 minutes ago, bEwAbG said:

Shorts are not allowed in the dining room.  They enforce that.

Most evenings smart casual attire is appropriate. Shorts, pool/ beachwear, distressed jeans and men’s tank tops are best left to the daytime and are not permitted in fine dining restaurants.

For those who will inevitably post to report seeing otherwise once, it is not the typical situation.

You can wear shorts if you want to eat in the buffet, though.

Perfect. That helps. Thank you. I really appreciate that. 

I will plan on wearing nice jeans in the MDR for dinner. 

On Gala nights I will wear slacks, dress shoes and a collared shirt. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Homosassa said:

What does "he cultural practices (for lack of a better why to put it) of the locale" have to do with it? You are on a cruise ship not a country.

I can go to most restaurants in my city/country wearing short in the summer time so, I would think I could go into a main dining room on a ship in hot weather wearing the same.

4 minutes ago, pete_coach said:

What does "he cultural practices (for lack of a better why to put it) of the locale" have to do with it? You are on a cruise ship not a country.

I can go to most restaurants in my city/country wearing short in the summer time so, I would think I could go into a main dining room on a ship in hot weather wearing the same.

Even if they have a written dress code that specifies otherwise?

Really!?

To answer your question more specifically, the "culture" is the cruise ship while you are there.

It's that easy.

Just like the fanciest/fussiest restaurant in your town or in London...  you are *there*, not at home.

GC

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, pete_coach said:

Well, no you can't.  This rule is one that is actually enforced on HAL (and Celebrity)...  no shorts in the MDR during dinner.  May I suggest the buffet?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, julia said:

Well, no you can't.  This rule is one that is actually enforced on HAL (and Celebrity)...  no shorts in the MDR during dinner.  May I suggest the buffet?

Well, my experience was different. I wore shorts (dress shorts) and I saw many men wearing shorts in the main dining room on our Celebrity cruise last year, as well on NCL.

Question still is if women can wear shorts, capris and leggings, why can men not wear shorts.

Times and things change...clearly not for HAL groupies 🙂 Hence we have the loooong threads of why you hate HAL and the changes. The line has to keep up with the times or lose business.

Oh and, I have eaten in the buffet areas too, no need to suggest.

4 minutes ago, pete_coach said:

Well, my experience was different. I wore shorts (dress shorts) and I saw many men wearing shorts in the main dining room on our Celebrity cruise last year, as well on NCL.

This is a HAL forum and, as such, folks here tend to adhere to the HAL guidelines.  If you prefer the style of Celebrity or NCL (nothing wrong with that), I am sure you do not need us to tell you what to do ... 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, pete_coach said:

Question still is if women can wear shorts, capris and leggings, why can men not wear shorts.

Times and things change...clearly not for HAL groupies 🙂 Hence we have the loooong threads of why you hate HAL and the changes. The line has to keep up with the times or lose business.

Oh and, I have eaten in the buffet areas too, no need to suggest.

We sailed on the Celebrity Equinox twice this past summer and dined in the MDR all 14 nights for dinner, not once did I see anyone in shorts or tee shirts. Same with all 22 of our HAL cruises. One night on the Eurodam about a year ago I saw 2 men turned away when they showed up for dinner in the MDR with shorts, tees and baseball caps as they should have.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I took this photo on the Oosterdam last week - I couldn't help it.  Although this was in the Lido and not the MDR, I still feel this is entirely inappropriate dress for any venue other than Dive In grill near the pool but I guess that's just me because I saw several others in the Lido during the week with just their bathrobe and pajama bottoms and slippers on for breakfast.

IMG_4584.JPG

• Haha 2

34 minutes ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

We have seen far too many people dressed in robes the several years.  Not only are they in the Lido getting breakfast, lunch and dinner, but we have seen them sitting in the lounges getting cocktails.

... and we have also seen some in the main theater, the Piano Bar and the Crow's Nest ... :classic_ohmy: