Upsell offer declined 15 day Star

shrum1

I have a question. We received an upsell offer for $330 pp to upsell from an obstructed oceanview to a balcony. We declined the offer. We are sailing in about 35 days. There are over 50 balcony's still showing available. We are hoping for a better offer. Has anyone received a 2nd offer when you have already declined one? 

This is for the Star 15 days to Hawaii. 

Thanks for any info you can give me. 

I wouldn’t have taken that offer either.

I would have said you were interested, but not at that price to see if they would negotiate. Don’t know how second upsells get called/emailed, but hope you get a second call! 

These things are based on supply and demand, if they need your cabin, they will offer it up again, or If enough people will take it to satisfy their needs then they got what they needed

It's hard to know..we received an upsell offer from balcony to minisuite for $299. We declined it. A couple of weeks later we received another upsell..same option but this time it was for $199. We still declined. I'm curious as to whether there will be another..but it's more curiosity than anything else..perfectly happy with the balcony! If they really want our balcony they can give us a free upgrade!!

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, shrum1 said:

I have a question. We received an upsell offer for $330 pp to upsell from an obstructed oceanview to a balcony. We declined the offer. We are sailing in about 35 days. There are over 50 balcony's still showing available. We are hoping for a better offer. Has anyone received a 2nd offer when you have already declined one? 

how are the prices for balconies right now vs what you paid for your obstructed OV?

On our 2017 cruise we were upgraded for free from inside to deluxe obstructed balcony - randomly, by Princess. My parents got a $99/pp upsell offer for the same cruise, from inside to balcony. I called Princess and asked them, since the price for balconies was lower than what I paid for my parents' inside cabin, whether we could just get the obstructed balcony upgrade for free. Princess obliged and came through for us. That's why we love them.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

how are the prices for balconies right now vs what you paid for your obstructed OV?

On our 2017 cruise we were upgraded for free from inside to deluxe obstructed balcony - randomly, by Princess. My parents got a $99/pp upsell offer for the same cruise, from inside to balcony. I called Princess and asked them, since the price for balconies was lower than what I paid for my parents' inside cabin, whether we could just get the obstructed balcony upgrade for free. Princess obliged and came through for us. That's why we love them.

We paid $1068 pp for the obstructed OV. Right now the least expensive balcony is going for $1480 I believe or somewhere in that ballpark. 

I really can't believe how empty our ship is. There must be over 200 empty cabins in Inside, OV and balconies. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Camelia- said:

If they really want our balcony they can give us a free upgrade!!

Be careful what you wish for.  Princess' idea of an upgrade may or may not be in line with yours.  Been there and done that.

If you do receive a "Congratulations, You've Been Upgraded" e-mail, and you find that you do disagree with their idea of an upgrade, you have 24 hours to call them and get reinstated back in your old cabin.

😉

42 minutes ago, XBGuy said:

Be careful what you wish for.  Princess' idea of an upgrade may or may not be in line with yours.  Been there and done that.

If you do receive a "Congratulations, You've Been Upgraded" e-mail, and you find that you do disagree with their idea of an upgrade, you have 24 hours to call them and get reinstated back in your old cabin.

😉

that's a great point. We're usually not too fussy - but it is risky having them move you to somewhere you don't particularily care to be!! On the other hand..sometimes it works out...we took a move over sale a few months ago (on another line) and we were given the further most forward inside cabin..I did have a bit of fear regarding movement and noise from the stewards as they went past with their trucks but since it was in essence a free cruise I was prepared to endure it. Surprisingly it was one of the best cabin locations I've had- one I would never have picked myself!

13 hours ago, Camelia- said:

It's hard to know..we received an upsell offer from balcony to minisuite for $299. We declined it. A couple of weeks later we received another upsell..same option but this time it was for $199. We still declined. I'm curious as to whether there will be another..but it's more curiosity than anything else..perfectly happy with the balcony! If they really want our balcony they can give us a free upgrade!!

“Are you feeling lucky?”  😀
If you wait long enough, you may get a free upgrade to a suite or above.  Usually a week or less before sailing.

No choice in location though, if that matters to you.

Good luck, and enjoy your cruise.

19 hours ago, WNCtourist said:

We received an upsell offer for Grand Princess 15-day cruise to Hawaii from  balcony to mini suite for $399 per person. I'd like the extra space but not for an additional $800!

I had a similar upsell offer for my Mexican Riviera cruise in December -- Premium Balcony to Mini Suite for +$270/pp. 

Our cruise is only 10 days, and while i would have enjoyed the extra space -- for $540 total additional we declined.  Like OP, I am hoping for a better offer! Our cruise has a lot of empty spots left, and only 8 weeks until departure.

On 10/15/2019 at 1:03 PM, shrum1 said:

Which Star to Hawaii?

On 10/15/2019 at 10:03 AM, shrum1 said:

We received the same offer...also declined! HOPEFULLY, there will other offers coming

We got an upsell from our TA for the Grand Nov 18th: $1,200 per person for an upgrade from mini to a full, named suite. I have no idea if the "named" suites are any better than a regular suite and I'll probably never know at these prices.

The price of our mini suite has DOUBLED in the 2 weeks since we booked it.

We are on the Star on the same cruise as the OP.  Today we received an "offer" to upgrade to a full suite for he small sum of $1499/pax.  After considering it for at least a microsecond, we put it in the circular file.  Really Princess?

1 hour ago, satxdiver said:

We are on the Star on the same cruise as the OP.  Today we received an "offer" to upgrade to a full suite for he small sum of $1499/pax.  After considering it for at least a microsecond, we put it in the circular file.  Really Princess?

Yeah, our thoughts exactly. Could they at least place the the upsell somewhere near earth?

9 hours ago, Ereggae said:

Gone are the days of free upgrades.  Sigh!!!

They would be back if people would stop paying for upgrades.

When people pay for upgrades, Princess wins two ways:

1) Extra money from somone already booked oin the ship

2) Ability to resell the now vacated cabin

• Like 1

Just a thought...I'm wondering if your cruise is so empty because everyone is waiting for ELUA to return to the Star at the end of the year.  I know the prices for November and December are higher.  They definitely have a following.

12 hours ago, satxdiver said:

I am not sure what you paid for your current category, but I would pay $100 a day more for a full suite in less than a microsecond.  Assuming you paid around $100 a day for a balcony. Did you price a full suite when you originally booked?

So yes, really.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jagoffee said:

I am not sure what you paid for your current category, but I would pay $100 a day more for a full suite in less than a microsecond.  Assuming you paid around $100 a day for a balcony. Did you price a full suite when you originally booked?

So yes, really.

We have a mini and have never stayed in a full suite.  It would be $100/day for each of us or $200/day for the suite.  We are quite comfy in a mini.  Our mini is a bit over $200/day/person since you asked.  For some that may be a bargain but not for us.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, satxdiver said:

We have a mini and have never stayed in a full suite.  It would be $100/day for each of us or $200/day for the suite.  We are quite comfy in a mini.  Our mini is a bit over $200/day/person since you asked.  For some that may be a bargain but not for us.  

I agree 100% with what you say.  

$300 a day per person is a good deal for a full suite from my experiences and observations but I know that most people would not consider that a bargain.  Of course most people do not book full suites.  

Supply and demand. It’s not so much the number of oceanview or balcony cabins remain unsold but whether there’s demand for your category. The lower the category, the better chance of being offered an upsell or upgrade. Book the highest category and your chances are much slimmer. Logic. 

A few years ago, Princess decided to offer upsells to free up cabins rather than free upgrades. They will try to sell the upsells first before offering upgrades for free. 

If you are upgraded for free and don’t like your new cabin, you can always call and change to a different cabin as long as it’s the same “new” category or lower. You’re not locked into the upgraded cabin. 

29 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

I agree 100% with what you say.  

$300 a day per person is a good deal for a full suite from my experiences and observations but I know that most people would not consider that a bargain.  Of course most people do not book full suites.  

our upsell final price on a S4 suite on a 4 day cruise on the CB was less than $ 160 pp pd ...

some of the best money we ever spent on a cruise  as it was our one and only ( so far ) suite ...

• Haha 1