Time for new shows?

Islandbuoy

Back once again from an enjoyable 10 nites on the Equinox.

All good --except isn't it time for some new production shows for  the celebrity fleet?

They are wierd and have been around far too long.

Anyone know when they will die?

• Like 2

DH and I attend the shows nightly and our least favorite are the production shows, and on many of which we've walked out. They generally have zero or weird plotlines and leave quite a bit to be desired especially when you've sailed on the same ship multiple times. I think they're already dead and someone needs to bury them!

• Like 2

I was told that X repeats its production shows for five years.

From 2011- 2015 we did 9 cruises on Celebrity.  After watching some of the shows like the Disco one or one about Burt Bacharach, we stopped going to the production shows.  Our last Celebrity cruise was in 2018 and we did go to a couple of the shows that were different.

There are still some good shows on Celebrity, but NCL and Royal do have better entertainment.

• Like 1

We are just off the Reflection and I believe there were 2 production shows.  First was Elysium which we had already seen, and second was called Broken Strings I think.  We went to see it as it was new to us....it was just ok.  Just singing and dancing...no acrobats which to me is the one thing that saves the production shows.  We much prefer the guest entertainers.  

The last crop of self produced shows including the lobby performances to canned music were bombs ( not  "da bomb").  Not the cast's fault, just really bad material..

EDGE shows were much better...hope we can see a few we missed last time around including solo singers.  Theater is amazing,

2 hours ago, davekathy said:

We like to see all the Celebrity production shows replaced with all  guest entertainers.  

And we are just the opposite.  We loved the three production shows on Equinox last month, although we had seen them before. But we have never really enjoyed the singers/magicians/etc. who are brought onboard.  Not that they are poor performers; that is just not the type of entertainment we care for.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, davekathy said:

We like to see all the Celebrity production shows replaced with all  guest entertainers. I did make mention of that on our last PCS from our September 2019 Summit cruise. 

Just got off 10 day Equinox cruise. Saw all production shows and guest entertainers...I agree, all of the entertainers were much better than the shows. 

• Like 1

We were on Solstice last year and we thought the production shows were all very good... but it was our first celebrity cruise - We are on Solstice again in April 2020 and on Millennium March 2021 so hopefully they have dome 'different' shows then

we liked the variety of having production shows and guest entertainers...

Great post .I wish they would go to truncated Broadway musicals they have the talent . Royal and Carnival have done some of this I wish they would do more. We saw a shorter version of Hair Spray on Carnival many years ago it was great . There are so many to chose from something for every one.

We didn't like Topper/Elysium/Life first time we saw them and haven't bothered going for the last 4 or so times.

What was interesting on our recent Equinox Cruise was the production singers (6) did a song from the Shows matinee. We went and it was good there were some great voices.

They clearly have the talent and I'd love them to do some truncated Broadway shows. We've seen Rock of Ages and jersey Boys on NCL and they were good

I posted this Celebrity Entertainment flyer a few months ago and someone asked if it gets updated. It hasn't been updated since May - I guess it doesn't need to be updated too often. 😉   Actually, a couple of people have said that their cruise had a different show than the flyer, so maybe there have been some updates.

Though we aren't Production show people, I support having at least 1-2 for those who do like them (though please change them more often than every 5 years!). The rest of the entertainment, IMO, should be guest entertainers - we have seen some amazing guest entertainers through the years and crave that type of entertainment on a cruise (tribute and other bands) singers, musicians, comedians, etc. One thing that we have been thankful for and hope it continues, is the Ensemble Band - on the Reflection and the Edge, the ship ensemble band has had such talented musicians that often play in nightly theater shows, with guest performers and sometimes on their own or with house bands or musicians. They played in the Club on the Edge for a dance hour, for example, and it was wonderful. We absolutely loved an ABBA show in the Sky Lounge on the Reflection with the house bands and ensemble band - superb show. Kudos for Celebrity for keeping their ensemble bands!

Entertainment_Show_Matrix_May2_2019-4.pdf

Edited by vtcruising
  • Thanks 1

Unless the ship is an Oasis class ship, entertainment options are limited on all cruise lines. Singers and dancers, guest entertainers are what's expected - it's pretty difficult to shake it up and still please the majority passengers.  

10 hours ago, vtcruising said:

I posted this Celebrity Entertainment flyer a few months ago and someone asked if it gets updated. It hasn't been updated since May - I guess it doesn't need to be updated too often. 😉   Actually, a couple of people have said that their cruise had a different show than the flyer, so maybe there have been some updates.

Though we aren't Production show people, I support having at least 1-2 for those who do like them (though please change them more often than every 5 years!). The rest of the entertainment, IMO, should be guest entertainers - we have seen some amazing guest entertainers through the years and crave that type of entertainment on a cruise (tribute and other bands) singers, musicians, comedians, etc. One thing that we have been thankful for and hope it continues, is the Ensemble Band - on the Reflection and the Edge, the ship ensemble band has had such talented musicians that often play in nightly theater shows, with guest performers and sometimes on their own or with house bands or musicians. They played in the Club on the Edge for a dance hour, for example, and it was wonderful. We absolutely loved an ABBA show in the Sky Lounge on the Reflection with the house bands and ensemble band - superb show. Kudos for Celebrity for keeping their ensemble bands!

Entertainment_Show_Matrix_May2_2019-4.pdf 377.6 kB · 12 downloads

We miss the Celebrity Orchestra but the Ensemble band members are  very talented. .. and work very hard.