Latest Platinum " Gift "

AHS123

From an outsider looking in, IMHO, the past 2 "gifts"(ie: lanyard and luggage tag) are no more than party favors, not to dissimilar to the party favors one would find at a Party City, Party Palace, or someplace like that.  Call them for what they are.....party favors, not gifts. For me, it would be an insult to my intelligence to call those things gifts. They are called in the business sector, "specialty advertising". Please take a look at this link and look in the "Popular Products"  section: lanyards: $0.72ea.

http://www.specialtyadvertisingbb.com/

There ARE some pretty neat things listed here to be sure. Maybe Carnival should look at this website. 

• Like 1

The saddest thing for me is that I would not be able  to use this because I'll bet it would disappear from any checked luggage. We actually need new luggage tags but won't be able to use these! P & D might not like them so much but I'll bet a lot of other people would!

10 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

They likely bought at least a million - that's still a lot of bucks to spend on ingrates.

Unless I'm mistaken, if it has Carnival on it, it can be classed as advertising and it's probably tax deductible.  If so, that means in the end, it didn't cost them anything.

We are Platinum and will graciously accept any gift.  By comparison though, Pixels who runs the photography onboard on one of our cruises had punch cards.  So many punches and you got a lanyard very similar to the ones Carnival just gave out.  So many more punches and you got an insulated tumbler.  So many more and you got a memory card that looked like a ship.  We got all three and paid nowhere near the $3000 in photos that we paid for the cruise. 

I don't know if Pixels still does that or not.  On our last cruise, we didn't buy any photos.  Whatever the gift is, we will take it just as it was intended - a gift. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Tampa Bay Irish said:

It is profoundly disappointing to see the rapid decline in value in platinum and diamond loyalty gifts. Just give me a coupon for a free alcoholic beverage without any strings attached. That will be fine. There is a really good chance that giving me a free drink will stimulate me into buying several more and Carnival will come out ahead. Everybody is happy.

I think the quality of the loyalty gifts is directly related to Carnival’s main focus on new and inexperienced cruisers. I have stated this before more than once on this site, there is no doubt in my mind Carnival’s ideal cruise is a ship filled with nothing but passengers on their first cruise.  Every decision they have made over the last several years supports this belief in my opinion. 

1 minute ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I think the quality of the loyalty gifts is directly related to Carnival’s main focus on new and inexperienced cruisers. I have stated this before more than once on this site, there is no doubt in my mind Carnival’s ideal cruise is a ship filled with nothing but passengers on their first cruise.  Every decision they have made over the last several years supports this belief in my opinion. 

Their focus has always been on new cruisers in as many homeports as the can.  The gift value is tied to quantity, pure and simple.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jimbo5544 said:

Their focus has always been on new cruisers in as many homeports as the can.  The gift value is tied to quantity, pure and simple.

i agree with you, but they have definitely stepped up their focus on new cruisers over the last few years. I am sure they also factor in that a significant percentage of cruisers will continue to cruise with Carnival because they still like what Carnival offers, which is the category I fall under. 

19 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I disagree. Just from a sheer numbers game, when you keep adding ships that carry 4000+ passengers a week, your older crowd passes away, you aren't going to fill your ships by attracting the "loyal" cruisers. Those people will come back and are given perks already. Marketing teams have a good idea of who is already going to come back, and who needs marketing towards. With that said, you aren't going to grow your business by giving away gifts (that many people don't even want).

15 hours ago, linbobky said:

Are you diamond?

I am gold.

I've been a Platinum cruiser since the program started in 2006 or so.  I personally think the luggage tag looks nice.  I will be happy to put it on my carry-on bag next cruise.  I agree that it isn't my favorite logo item from Carnival, but that doesn't bother me.  There have been some logo items that I have really enjoyed - the Tervis tumblers that I use every single day at home and  the sling bag that I take on every cruise to use on lido deck and when going ashore.  There are many other logo items that I have liked too.  My main reason for cruising isn't for my 'free' logo item, but for the cruise itself.  I think we all need to remember that Carnival is using these items as advertising for them.

Does anyone remember when the Platinum/Diamond program started that you could get a tour of the bridge, etc. at no cost?  I never did it and now I'm disappointed that I missed out on that.  I think it is $95.00 or so for the same tour.  Guess what?  I still haven't done it.  That is a huge cost difference over the years, but no one mentions that.

13 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

I repeat my previous post.

The proper response when one receives a gift is "Thank you".

The problem is it isn’t simply a gift. If it was, everyone on the ship would get it. The “gift” is supposed to be a perk tied to showing loyalty to Carnival.  Personally I don’t care about the gifts, but I can understand people who are upset with the last two gifts, when they were significantly better in the past.  

• Like 2

Wow.  So disappointing to see this turn into such a negative topic. I doubt that's what the OP had in mind.  As I've stated previously, I'm thankful for anything CCL wants to give me, such as these "gifts" in my cabin.  Yes - I realize we are paying for them somehow, but it's the thought that counts in my book.  We sail with other lines as well, and have never received any such "gifts" or trinkets in our cabin for being Platinum level members.  My guess is that passengers who complain about such things to the point that CCL discontinues this practice will be the very first to complain when CCL does stop leaving such items in our cabins.  I think I'll just unsubscribe from this one. No offense intended....negativity just isn't for me.  I wish all of you blessings and happy sailing!  And we ARE blessed to be able to cruise!

On 10/19/2019 at 2:49 PM, Bostwick girl said:

Personally I like it. Would put it on my carryon, not on my checked luggage as my only identifier.

I like it too... looking forward to getting one in Jan and attaching it to my luggage bag 🙂

3 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

The problem is it isn’t simply a gift. If it was, everyone on the ship would get it. The “gift” is supposed to be a perk tied to showing loyalty to Carnival.  Personally I don’t care about the gifts, but I can understand people who are upset with the last two gifts, when they were significantly better in the past.  

No, it isn't simply a gift. It is a Carnival logo item, marketing for Carnival, and bragging rights for those who think they were awarded something.

3 hours ago, CruiseHealing said:

This just shows that CCL is continuing to cut cost where ever they can.  Next will be some type of cozy with Shaq's face on it. 

Do the math. Maybe 5000 $10 gifts vs 1,000,000 50 cent gifts. Where was the cost of the gifts cut? And that doesn't include the distribution costs to get the gifts to ships located all over, the cost of storing the gifts, the cost of onboard distribution, etc. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Actually it is a perk is perceived by the recipient.  The gift/perk is a token of appreciation for a cruisers loyalty of a Carnival logo’d Item.  The idea has always been that others (who do not cruise or not cruise on Carnival) see it and the recipients Canute and display Carnival items.  It was never intended to be a credit or free this or free that.  

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Actually it is a perk is perceived by the recipient.  The gift/perk is a token of appreciation for a cruisers loyalty of a Carnival logo’d Item.  The idea has always been that others (who do not cruise or not cruise on Carnival) see it and the recipients Canute and display Carnival items.  It was never intended to be a credit or free this or free that.  

If the idea is that non-cruisers will see the Carnival logo, then the lanyard fails to accomplish this since the only place people will wear them is on their Carnival cruise.  A key chain would make more sense.  The luggage tags accomplish free advertising too. Since this item is only available when a person reaches platinum, that sure seems like something passed off as a perk. If all Carnival wanted was free advertising, they would give everyone the logo item.

I really don't care because I am not platinum, so I never got any of the useable gifts.  When I reach platinum, the free token gift is the last thing on the perks list that I care about.

Edited by TNcruising02

21 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

If the idea is that non-cruisers will see the Carnival logo, then the lanyard fails to accomplish this since the only place people will wear them is on their Carnival cruise.  A key chain would make more sense.  The luggage tags accomplish free advertising too. Since this item is only available when a person reaches platinum, that sure seems like something passed off as a perk. If all Carnival wanted was free advertising, they would give everyone the logo item.

They wear them on the cruise and in PORT. Businesses and passengers from other cruise lines can see them. Who the heck carries keys on a cruise or while in port?

The non-Platinum can stampede each other at the tee shirt sales and pay Carnival for a logo item. A win-win for Carnival.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

They wear them on the cruise and in PORT. Businesses and passengers from other cruise lines can see them. Who the heck carries keys on a cruise or while in port?

The non-Platinum can stampede each other at the tee shirt sales and pay Carnival for a logo item. A win-win for Carnival.

I seriously doubt there are a huge amount of platinums and diamonds wearing lanyards while touring a port.

• Like 1

I really don't care whether I get a gift or not, or what it is.   I cruise because of the value and entertainment it offers me and my family.   I never ever will choose a cruise (or any vacation)  based on a gift.

I just don't get why this is a big deal to people.  You spend thousands on a vacation, but cry over a token gift (whether its a 50 dollar or a 50 cent gift), that's really going to decide your vacation choice?

I didn't reach Platinum level just because I wanted a gift, I got there because I love Carnival and what it offers in price, value, food, entertainment, rooms etc.

1st world problems LOL

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

True. haha.  But wearing a lanyard in port is like wearing socks and sandals.  No.  Just no.

I wear my lanyard in port so that I don't lose it. I do not wear socks with sandals, because I do not find that comortable. If I did find wearing socks with  sandals the most comfortable shoe type on my feet, I definitely would. 

31 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

True. haha.  But wearing a lanyard in port is like wearing socks and sandals.  No.  Just no.

I wear my lanyard in port so that I don't lose it. I do not wear socks with sandals, because I do not find that comortable. If I did find wearing socks with  sandals the most comfortable shoe type on my feet, I definitely would.