Havana area change

jimbo5544

We were on the Vista in Mar 2017 and went to the Havana Pool twice around 9 PM - it was quite dead (most of the pools are at night)

We have a Family Harbor room for the Panorama in Mar 2020 - I am a little disappointed that the Havana area will be closed off, but I certainly understand why

My daughter is only 10, so it will be another 2 years before we can book a Havana Room

3 hours ago, jbethel11 said:

There is Serenity? Just a bit confused on why you also want Havana to be adults only? Havana is a place where people can pay to have an exclusive retreat. I think closing Havana to non-Havana guests after 7pm will help reduce the number of rowdy party-goers at night.

Just my experience but Serenity age requirements are not often enforced.  I witnessed an otherwise quiet sailaway disturbed by a group of 8 loud teens taking over the aft Serenity hot tub on Fascination.  The towel guy walked up & asked their age & walked away when 1 said 21.  

We also experienced a lot of young people running the halls at night & cutting lines.  Some of that is expected but I prefer quiet.

7 hours ago, luvsboozecruises said:

I wonder if on the mardi gras the area near Emeril's will now become a small restaurant for the Havana members only.. just like ncl has for it's Haven only  members ....

That would certainly be good for the cruise line as they would be able to promote their Havana cabins with additional benefits and increase cabin prices.  It would also keep more people in the Havana area.  Depending on how large they make the Havana area, maybe this could result in making the rest of the ship (the main part) less crowded and make for a better user experience ?  Or maybe not, just thinking out loud here.

I looked at the Haven cabins on NCL before booking the Havana cabin, but while I think that a higher price is totally justified, the price level the Haven cabins have reached is difficult to justify.  They're asking for 3 times as much.  I'd probably consider them if they stayed under (or at) twice the price.

15 hours ago, luvsboozecruises said:

I wonder if on the mardi gras the area near Emeril's will now become a small restaurant for the Havana members only.. just like ncl has for it's Haven only  members ....

Summer Landing may have restrictions, can't recall the early blurp.  Emerils is located on Deck 6  too close to rest of action on ship to make it "exclusive".  They'd lose money as it's the only one thus far.

9 hours ago, Schlinger said:

That would certainly be good for the cruise line as they would be able to promote their Havana cabins with additional benefits and increase cabin prices.  It would also keep more people in the Havana area.  Depending on how large they make the Havana area, maybe this could result in making the rest of the ship (the main part) less crowded and make for a better user experience ?  Or maybe not, just thinking out loud here.

I looked at the Haven cabins on NCL before booking the Havana cabin, but while I think that a higher price is totally justified, the price level the Haven cabins have reached is difficult to justify.  They're asking for 3 times as much.  I'd probably consider them if they stayed under (or at) twice the price.

I totally agree, now if they had a diamond area like r/c , l would be really happy,,🚢🚢

9 hours ago, Schlinger said:

I have stopped considering The Haven. I can (and have) sailed on Oceania for what NCL charges to sail in The Haven. The Havana cabins seem to be a better value. I will refrain from judgement until I actually sail in one though. 

58 minutes ago, UPNYGuy said:

I have stopped considering The Haven. I can (and have) sailed on Oceania for what NCL charges to sail in The Haven. The Havana cabins seem to be a better value. I will refrain from judgement until I actually sail in one though. 

Exactly.  At some point, the regular cruise lines, by increasing their cabins prices to ridiculous levels by adding perk after perk, start reaching "luxury" cruise line prices.  Might as well go get the real deal from the start.  

I don't know if "luxury" is the correct terminology for Oceania.  I saw a list (here on cruisecritic, I believe) with 3 categories for cruise lines.  Regent and a few others were luxury, with fares in the neighborhood of 20k for a week or so.  IIRC Oceania is in the second category.  The major downside of these cruise lines, apart from the price, is their smaller size and hence the increased motion of the ship (from what I've read, I've never been on a cruise ship in my life).  What's your experience with Oceania ?

17 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

When I was on Vista I stopped by Havana a few times in the evening and it was dead. Nobody outside. Nobody at the bar. Maybe a couple of people at tables or dancing. 

I think the "quietness" of the Havana deck depends a lot on any group being there.  We never experienced any noisy parties or loud behavior.  Very few children. I only saw 2 with parents at the pool after 7P and then they left before 8P. But we were on in January.  I'm sure summer or spring break would be different, but only slightly. 

As far as I could tell, the partitions between the  walkways for Havana deck along the outside and the rest of Deck 5 were accessible from Havana to rest of ship but not the other way. So only people passing our lanai were other Havana cruisers.

1 hour ago, Schlinger said:

Exactly.  At some point, the regular cruise lines, by increasing their cabins prices to ridiculous levels by adding perk after perk, start reaching "luxury" cruise line prices.  Might as well go get the real deal from the start.  

I don't know if "luxury" is the correct terminology for Oceania.  I saw a list (here on cruisecritic, I believe) with 3 categories for cruise lines.  Regent and a few others were luxury, with fares in the neighborhood of 20k for a week or so.  IIRC Oceania is in the second category.  The major downside of these cruise lines, apart from the price, is their smaller size and hence the increased motion of the ship (from what I've read, I've never been on a cruise ship in my life).  What's your experience with Oceania ?

Oceania is a premium cruise operator. Some aspects are luxury (smaller ships, filet of beef included with room service, no charges for room service, mini fridge no charge) others are not (cramped bathrooms in the older ships, have to hand your card for alcoholic beverages)

I find the food to be good quality by and large, and I like the more “upscale” pax compliment. But you find tipsy pax on there as on any cruise line. I sail on Oceania when they have an itinerary that interests me, as the ships are smaller (R class is only 700 pax). And I don’t find I feel any more motion. 

entertainment however is Another story. While it is decent, it cannot touch a larger ship. They simply do t have the space to work with. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Schlinger said:

Smaller size ships (and fewer people) allow them to get to places large ships cannot.  

• Like 1

I feel like this change is more psychological than anything. Many who are complaining probably wouldn't have gone there. Many who are happy about this, also probably wouldn't have gone there. However, it makes their purchase "feel more exclusive".

I think the private areas are fantastic ideas that attract an even better clientele. Apparently, it's working on multiple cruise lines. Those complaining about "classes" probably take that argument outside of cruising too. The only thing that will get me complaining is if the premium areas start causing detractions from my trips (which they do not in their current form). A private area does not hurt me.

• Like 1

I’m kind of bummed about this change as my gf and I got a lot of use out of the Havana hot tubs on our last two Vista cruises. It’s so nice back there at night with the stars, breeze, and music. On the other hand we experienced large groups of teens taking over the area on our last cruise. They were being so loud that the attendant had to repeatedly tell them to quiet down. Supposedly people from the aft cabins above were complaining. We cruise in The Haven on NCL quite a bit but wouldn’t pay the premium for the Havana. Just no comparison in my opinion on multiple levels. I did book a Excel Aft on Marci Gras though and am really looking forward to checking that out.

Edited by cksv
  • Like 1

Excited for our upcoming cruise in the Havana Rooms.  Payed the premium so that we wouldn't have to fight the crowds (at least at the pool)  Glad they made the change to only paid people using the area 24 hours.  Looking forward to it!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, deecruise2 said:

Excited for our upcoming cruise in the Havana Rooms.  Payed the premium so that we wouldn't have to fight the crowds (at least at the pool)  Glad they made the change to only paid people using the area 24 hours.  Looking forward to it!

I totally agree, hated the fact after 7pm I had to close my curtains for all the Lookers walking thru, almost all the cabana people use the hallway at night..

On 10/29/2019 at 5:00 PM, luvsboozecruises said:

I totally agree, hated the fact after 7pm I had to close my curtains for all the Lookers walking thru, almost all the cabana people use the hallway at night..

So if it were people staying HC cabins it would be ok?

On 10/26/2019 at 9:44 PM, geoffrywillhardt said:

Not gonna lie I'm dissapointed in the timing of this. We are going on the Panorama over Christmas and I was planning on checking the area out at least one day to see if I thought it was worth possibly booking a Havana cabin. Now since I'm assuming this will be the same on the Panorama as the Vista and Horizon, I will not be able to. Guess I should have made the effort and checked it out on the Horizon when we sailed on it. 

We have two Havana cabins on the Christmas Panorama cruise... one for my wife and me and one for our boys.... coincidentally, our youngest is also coming down from Bozeman ( Wildcat family) oldest graduated last year and is coming from med school in Ohio for the cruise. Drop us a message if you want to borrow wrist bands to tour the Havana area.