Live from Sky Princess TA Crossing

Coffeeluvr05

I just thought I would share some of my observations I’ve gathered so far...

• The ship is large and beautiful! I’m not a crowd person and I have been able to find places all over to just sit and relax. 
  • I have not been very excited about the dining room menus at dinner. On the other hand, the buffet is quite good and has a variety of items to choose from. This surprised me since I normally avoid the buffet at all cost.
  • The wait staff have been wonderful and always try to accommodate. I have found all Princess ships this way though.
  • The decor is light and bright and gives an open and airy feel.
  • Many pax complain a lot and seem to want to share their complaints with us. We have not had anything to complain about. Well, except that one time they accidentally charged us for a cocktail when we have the PBP.
  • The bathtub/shower is larger than my pre-cruise hotel shower. Water pressure is awesome too!
  • The entertainment has been very good and varied in genre.
  • Medallionnet Internet works quite well! Downloading files is slow so download movies, tv shows from home to your devices. Streaming the Disney+ app worked though. It seems to prioritize browsing and email then streaming video. That being said, I have had no issue with FaceTime.
  • The Medallionclass app ordering works well, except sometimes it doesn’t detect you are in the area where you can order from and you have to move your phone around to get the right spot. You can not customize your drink order though. The only time it allowed a customization was for a martini. Up vs over and olives/twist, etc. The one time I ordered a drink that was $13 (pbp limit is $12) they only charged me the overage. 
  • The gelato is real gelato and quite good. Do not let the free sample “scoop” deter you from purchasing. There is a vast difference in size! LOL

overall, we are really enjoying our time on the Sky and are savoring all of it!

• Like 11

We are booked on a Carribean cruise aboard the Sky Princess.  Sorry to read about the dining room food quality. Unfortunately it reflects our experience with Princess over the past several years (25+ cruises with Princess). If the food is as you describe, Princess will have lost a regular customer; Viking will have gained one. Other factors (eg. staff attitude, cutting back on cruise cost included items, port baggage attendents openly soliciting tips)  in declining the Princess experience contribute to our disapointment with the line. 

Cheers,

TravlinGato

9 hours ago, TravlingGato said:

We are booked on a Carribean cruise aboard the Sky Princess.  Sorry to read about the dining room food quality.

When the OP said  "I have not been very excited about the dining room menus at dinner," I assume the OP meant the menu options, not the quality of the food.

OP -- can you confirm?

Just now, caribill said:

When the OP said  "I have not been very excited about the dining room menus at dinner," I assume the OP meant the menu options, not the quality of the food.

OP -- can you confirm?

The menu options have not really excited us. For instance, when prime rib was offered, which was delicious, it was served with grilled polenta. I wanted to see a baked potato with it. Maybe that’s just because I’m American and that is standard to me. They had baked potatoes in the buffet last night. The buffet on this ship is better than any Princess ship I have been on!

There are so many different options on the ship that everyone is going to find something they like. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Coffeeluvr05 said:

I wanted to see a baked potato with it

I've ordered a baked potato ( with extra butter, of course ) many times in the mdr ... always got it with no problems

pro tip: order the butter when you sit down to allow it to thaw some ...

• Like 3

On 11/25/2019 at 4:06 AM, voljeep said:

I've ordered a baked potato ( with extra butter, of course ) many times in the mdr ... always got it with no problems

pro tip: order the butter when you sit down to allow it to thaw some ...

The UBD comes with PLENTY of butter :classic_love:

• Like 2

Really pleased to read this review. We had read some horror stories about this ship but thought they were just teething problems. A couple f hours ago, I booked two rooms on a 14 night Caribbean cruise at the end of March for 5 of us. Reading this has cheered me up.

Thanks.

Matthew

• Like 1

On 11/25/2019 at 1:46 AM, Coffeeluvr05 said:

The menu options have not really excited us. For instance, when prime rib was offered, which was delicious, it was served with grilled polenta. I wanted to see a baked potato with it.

Just ask your waiter to substitute a baked potato.

I do the opposite. If polenta is on the menu for any other dish. I ask for it and have never been refused.

Just now, happy cruzer said:

Have you visited Vines?  Curious about the sound levels there.  We have enjoyed Vines with food from the IC on the Crown Princess.  Activity Volume can be a bit much but usually tolerable.  How is it on the Sky?

Thanks for all the information you have provided.

Have not been in vines, but in Bellinis adjacent to that. It gets noisy when there are activities in the piazza but I haven’t found it to be a problem. Use of the medallion app for ordering gets interesting in the piazza area venues. If we are on one of the ends, the system thinks we are not In the piazza and won’t let us order. Not a big deal since the wait staff still walk around taking orders. 

Just now, twodaywonder said:

How is the lunch and dinner buffets? Variety, temperature of the food?

The buffet at all meals has been great! Lots of options and the food is hot. This is coming from a person who avoids buffets in general. This is the best buffet we have experienced on Princess. I think the only downside is that it’s so big you might not find all the delicious options! 🤣 

oh and I love that after getting your food, the servers will get your coffee order so no standing in line in the pastry area for your cappuccino. That goes for all beverages. Omelettes too! You put in your order and your server picks it up when it’s done. Maybe this is normal for buffets but since I normally don’t partake...

Edited by Coffeeluvr05
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Coffeeluvr05 said:

The buffet at all meals has been great! Lots of options and the food is hot. This is coming from a person who avoids buffets in general. This is the best buffet we have experienced on Princess. I think the only downside is that it’s so big you might not find all the delicious options! 🤣 

oh and I love that after getting your food, the servers will get your coffee order so no standing in line in the pastry area for your cappuccino. That goes for all beverages. Omelettes too! You put in your order and your server picks it up when it’s done. Maybe this is normal for buffets but since I normally don’t partake...

Really appreciate the report. We have stopped going to the dining room years ago and only do the buffet. Most of the time other than specialty. Going Sunday and again Jan 11th.