VERY SAD NEWS....Heavy Heart

hcat

I just disembarked Equinox and am shocked and saddened to read this news. Marilyn was such a treasure to our community!  Her willingness to share anything and everything enhanced many cruises for CC members. For me personally, Marilyn provided a wealth of information before we sailed on Edge earlier this year.  I'll forever remember her when sailing an Edge class ship.

Carrie ~ know that our thoughts and prayers are with you, your dad and the entire family!  Your mom will be greatly missed.

Remember, enjoy each day, everyone !!!!

• Like 5

What a shock it was to see this thread. To Carrie and all the family, your mother made such an impact here because she was always upbeat, kind, balanced, and honest. 

Marilyn holds a place of honor on any list of all that is good about the invention of the internet. She created a community within a community and made complete strangers smile - remember when she happened to run into Lisa Lutoff-Perlo after boarding the Edge for the first time? She posted a photo of them and I'm sure everyone viewing it got a kick out of her enthusiasm. We felt like we were there with her on this amazing, brand new ship. 

Her cheerful presence is a great loss to this forum. Just so hard to believe.

Celebrity, how about a colorful, sparkling cocktail named in her honor?

• Like 4

I am in deep shock over this sad news.  I so enjoyed reading all her posts and she would answer everyone's questions with never a remark of "that has been asked before."  She seemed to be everyone's friend here on Cruise Critic.  I know that I will miss her info on Edge and Apex.   My thoughts and prayers go out to her family at this time.

Pat

• Like 1

Carrie and family,

I can’t tell you how deeply saddened I was to hear of Marilyn’s passing.  Her presence here on Cruise Critic will be sorely missed.  Your mother was a gifted writer and she made all of us smile and each one of us better for having known her – if only in print.  We went along with her on all of her travels and when we got to do our own trips we were better prepared because of her passing her wisdom down to us.  It’s hard to express how important she was to so many of us here on CC and how she made our day with her postings.  She will be missed.

Mary

• Like 3

Carrie,

I’m so sorry for your loss! 😢 Your mom was so passionate about Celebrity and contributed so much to this forum. It would be lovely if she could be honored on the Edge. I know Princess allows families to have a ceremony onboard and spread the loved one’s ashes at sea at an approved time. Celebrity might allow the same. You could go on a family tribute cruise aboard the Edge in her honor, or if she was looking forward to the debut of the Apex, you could sail as a family on that ship and “take her” with you. I read your mom’s obituary, and she blessed soooo many people’s lives; what a special lady. God bless you and your family as you grieve. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

RICCruisers

Thanks for posting the link to the Obituary. So sad.

It was  well-written and captured the essence of Marilyn/Vt Cruiser,  her life story and  amazing family.  She died so young but lived life to the fullest,

We will add to the Memory Book...  🦋

On 11/27/2019 at 3:31 PM, hcat said:

Dear Cruise Critic Friends,

It is with a heavy heart that I  inform you  that  dear friend and Community favorite,

Vt Cruiser  passed away peacefully in her sleep last night.

As  many of you know, Vt Cruiser..Marilyn,  was one of the nicest, most interesting, brilliant,  helpful and fun-loving people we will ever meet in person or on line.  

Our Deepest Sympathy, Condolences and Prayers go out to her entire family, including her husband Henry with whom she shared life's journey including many wonderful cruises,

I hope that we can honor her Memory...by posting  our thoughts and  recollections here.

Hcat..

Hcat - now I know...

I Am very saddened to hear this, one of my favourites...

I know she is now sailing on that next Class of X ship yet to be Christened.

My thoughts and prayers go out to her family....

Each time I board an Edge Class of ship she will be first in mind...

bon voyage sweet lady, bon voyage and you will never be forgotten by YOUR Edgies!

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Bo1953 said:

Hcat - now I know...

I Am very saddened to hear this, one of my favourites...

I know she is now sailing on that next Class of X ship yet to be Christened.

My thoughts and prayers go out to her family....

Each time I board an Edge Class of ship she will be first in mind...

bon voyage sweet lady, bon voyage and you will never be forgotten by YOUR Edgies!

I was hoping you would not see the post during the cruise...and now find your words so beautiful and comforting.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, RICCruisers said:

Here is a link to Marilyn's obituary.  What an amazing and fulfilling life!!

https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/burlingtonfreepress/obituary.aspx?n=marilyn-mercia-benis&pid=194589723&fhid=39954

Thank you for posting this.  We all knew she was a special person.  Now we understand what a truly special person she was.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Very sorry to hear this.

I don't visit cruise critic much often and still learning my way around the board. Reading what people are saying about her, I will try to read some of her posts as I don't think I have interacted with her but she would have probably contributed to my many questions.

It is very nice to have so many supportive forum members for her family in these difficult times.

• Thanks 1

My condolences, to the family! She will be great missed by the cruise critic community. I have never met her, but insights to those sailing the EDGE have been a great contribution to myself and many others. She will be sorely missed. She was a special person to always be there for others.

• Administrators

We send our sincerest condolences to you and all of your family, @VTCruiserCarrie.  Also, to all of her Cruise Critic friends we offer our deepest sympathies at your loss.  

Please stay strong as you move forward.

LauraS

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Very sorry to hear of the passing of this wonderful lady. Her continued posts on the Edge class ships certainly helped to spur Celebrity to improve the product. I was very reluctant to book a cruise on this class of ships but seeing that many of the concerns I had were being addressed I finally booked one with my granddaughters as a graduation trip this coming May. Her cheerful and informative posts were always a pleasure to see.

Her family and friends have so much to be proud of and her legacy will live on. My deepest condolences to them.

On 12/1/2019 at 8:56 PM, RICCruisers said:

https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/burlingtonfreepress/obituary.aspx?n=marilyn-mercia-benis&pid=194589723&fhid=39954

Thank you very much for posting this. She touched so many lives in a beautiful way.

2 hours ago, LauraS said:

We send our sincerest condolences to you and all of your family, @VTCruiserCarrie.  Also, to all of her Cruise Critic friends we offer our deepest sympathies at your loss.  

Please stay strong as you move forward.

LauraS

Thank you for this beautiful online  Community...and your kind thoughts!

On 12/1/2019 at 1:56 PM, RICCruisers said:

Thank you for posting this.  Remarkable is the word that comes to mind in remembering Marilyn.  I, too, will think of her every time I step on a Celebrity ship!

This thread, while filled with sorrow, also shows the BEST of Cruise Critic.  Our members are a kind, caring group of people who love cruising.  I appreciate you all!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I was so saddened to hear of Marilyn's passing.  Even though we had never met her I feel I got to know her through this forum.  As already stated by many, she was always there with a kind word and wealth of information.  I loved to follow all of her reviews and polls and couldn't wait to see what new information she was going to share.  I just got off the Edge on Sunday and know it was better ship because of Marilyn.

My deepest condolences to Henry, family and friends.

Rest in peace VTcruising.

Kym

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Like so many others, I have never met VTcruising, but have thoroughly enjoyed her posts on CC.  I was shocked to hear of her death when browsing CC after the holidays -- totally and sadly shocked!  I am so sorry she didn't get to spend more time cruising.  😞

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Pushkin said:

Like so many others, I have never met VTcruising, but have thoroughly enjoyed her posts on CC.  I was shocked to hear of her death when browsing CC after the holidays -- totally and sadly shocked!  I am so sorry she didn't get to spend more time cruising.  😞

Our heart is also saddened my the loss of Vtcruising. Our deepest condolences goes out to the family and to her CC and Celebrity friends.  

This is a great loss to CC and to her Celebrity community family.

RIP, VTCRUISING, May all your voyages be smooth and happy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1