Is HAL listening to Cruise Critic and FB comments?

Carol28

6 hours ago, foodsvcmgr said:

Clearly in the minority but we think the Music Walk is a vast improvement over the production shows.

It would be a nice extra alternative if HAL had well written original shows like Princess or Cirque style acts like Celebrity but just to revert to the stale “Salute to Broadway”, Bob Mackie gown stuff they ran before, we say No Thanks.

Lets assume that most folks would agree.  How many ships does HAL have in their fleet (hint: 14)?  How many ships have Music Walk"  (hint: a lot less than 14).  I agree with you that the ole HAL "Salute to Broadway" stuff was getting old.  Other lines have tried to be more innovative (with mixed results).  Princess and Celebrity have both tried some interesting ideas with Princess actually contracting with Stephen Schwartz for 4 original shows (he wrote Pippen and Godspell and Wicked among others).

MSC is kind of unique in that they have a Production show every night using a large onboard cast of singers, dancers, acrobats, etc.  They have enough entertainers in their cast so they can rotate days off.  Their shows are innovative combinations of singing, dancing, and Cirque acts.  Some folks love em and others hate them...but their theaters are generally full.  Consider that most lines (including the old HAL) use their singers and dancers about twice a week.  In fact, on one long HAL transpacific cruise the singers/dancers that HAL USED to have did not work for nearly two weeks.  They only had 4 shows in their repertoire and they had to be spread over a 28 day segment.   Do the math and you will realize that this cast of singers and dancers worked an average of one night per week!  We spoke to some of those entertainers who told us they would have happily worked more nights but they were contractually limited to only do those 4 shows.  (one of them was so desperate to sing that he volunteered to sing opera (with the classical duo) until the CD intervened and stopped the popular performances.

We think HAL could get away with no Production Shows if they hired more (and better) Guest Entertainers.  We have been on other lines where Guest Entertainers only performed one time in the main show room (HAL generally requires them to do two totally different shows in the main theater).  HAL does have some challenges with their longer segments, but "dark nights" or showing a BBC Documentary is not a good solution.

Hank

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Roz said:

The thing that sent me over the edge 😬 entertainment-wise with HAL was on my last cruise when the 1st night's show was "Mary Poppins Returns".  Really???

Well, I guess some would say that was one of their better "shows."

Hank

3 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

What music did you have during the day? I've been on the K twice, and don't recall any daytime music.

11 hours ago, Chocolatemom2 said:

We were on Koningsdam September 2018. 

Lots of music each night, and at various times during the day. 

I too must ask...what daytime music did you have on your K'dam cruise?  When I cruised K'dam, there's was zero live music during the day throughout the entire 10 night cruise.   The last time I saw daytime live music on a HAL cruise was in 2015 when there was a solo steel drummer on Ooterdam at the aft pool.  

Edited by Aquahound

1 hour ago, Roz said:

Remember the days when there were movies in the Wajang Theatre (complete with popcorn)?  That was completely separate from the Main Stage entertainment.

Saw some good flicks in the various Wajangs over the years and that popcorn wasn't too shabby either 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Aquahound said:

I too must ask...what daytime music did you have on your K'dam cruise?  When I cruised K'dam, there's was zero live music during the day throughout the entire 10 night cruise.   The last time I saw daytime live music on a HAL cruise was in 2015 when there was a solo steel drummer on Ooterdam at the aft pool.  

I think on one sea day they may do an afternoon performance of Lincoln Center Stage. I'm sure that means one less performance during their normal evening slot (which is just as well since at least it's quiet in the other venues).

1 hour ago, Bookited said:

As of October they were still showing movies with popcorn twice nightly most evenings on the Amsterdam.

By the pool, right? They did that on Koningsdam over the summer as well.

Edited by MisterBill99

43 minutes ago, MisterBill99 said:

I think on one sea day they may do an afternoon performance of Lincoln Center Stage. I'm sure that means one less performance during their normal evening slot (which is just as well since at least it's quiet in the other venues).

On Noordam now, a sea day.

The (EXCELLENT) Lincoln Center Stage musicians did an early afternoon performance, and there will be the regular two this evening.  However, the latter of those is a repeat of the afternoon performance.

The Lincoln Center Stage venue is far too small for the crowds who want to listen and see.  There are many standing in the back, and quite a few in the hallway, peering through the little empty frames in the rows of frosted-type glass.

GC

7 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

On Noordam now, a sea day.

The (EXCELLENT) Lincoln Center Stage musicians did an early afternoon performance, and there will be the regular two this evening.  However, the latter of those is a repeat of the afternoon performance.

The Lincoln Center Stage venue is far too small for the crowds who want to listen and see.  There are many standing in the back, and quite a few in the hallway, peering through the little empty frames in the rows of frosted-type glass.

GC

I believe (from Instagram posts) that one of the LCS performers on Noordam was on my Koningsdam cruise last year. She plays the cello and always had a big smile. Also I believe that Justin Lacey is doing Billboard Onboard on your ship. He was also on Koningsdam last year and was excellent.

Just now, MisterBill99 said:

I believe (from Instagram posts) that one of the LCS performers on Noordam was on my Koningsdam cruise last year. She plays the cello and always had a big smile. Also I believe that Justin Lacey is doing Billboard Onboard on your ship. He was also on Koningsdam last year and was excellent.

Perhaps you are referring to Ruthie, the current cellist?

(Blond hair, worn in a bun-type of style?)

She is the most expressive of them, and we love watching her in particular.  Too often, a cello gets lost in the music of other instruments much of the time, so we find it especially nice to be able to watch a cellist, which helps us to hear it better.

But they are all really good, so much better than we had expected.

One of the nicest surprises of this, our first HAL cruise!

GC

11 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

Perhaps you are referring to Ruthie, the current cellist?

(Blond hair, worn in a bun-type of style?)

She is the most expressive of them, and we love watching her in particular.  Too often, a cello gets lost in the music of other instruments much of the time, so we find it especially nice to be able to watch a cellist, which helps us to hear it better.

Yes, Ruthie! I've never seen a musician whose facial expressions are like hers, always with a big smile.

On 12/1/2019 at 5:49 AM, Kfrech said:

We don’t need the evening entertainment. We are a couple in our late 50s, very active and we plan on being exhausted once we get back on the ship from our port days. On the days we are just sailing, we are looking very forward to watching the scenery go by from our balcony, glass of wine or a cup of hot coffee in hand. 

Thank you for putting this so clearly. There seems to be a feeling amongst many that those who don't like to stay up, go to shows, and drink in the evening are some sort of leper.

We keep an early schedule at home (usually up by 0530), and continue this on board. We like the quiet of the morning (along with not having to wait in line at Explorations Cafe), and like Kfrech, find the scenery, even on sea days, fascinating and soothing.

If I had a complaint in all this, it would be that the Cafe and Lido don't open early enough, but I'm quite happy nonetheless.

Maybe what's missing in all this is that HAL should designate ships for early risers or for those who like the other end of the day. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, rucrazy said:

This years holiday cruise will be our last on HAL for a while... Sad to say we no longer see value.

Joseph

Holiday cruises are often high cost.  We are sailing early Dec and got a great deal IMO.

8 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

Holiday cruises are often high cost.  We are sailing early Dec and got a great deal IMO.

This decision is based on the total package received. The longer cruises that we used to enjoy are no longer providing us with the nourishment for our soul as they once did. It’s that simple.

We have cruised enough to know that holiday cruises happen at a premium.

We will just explore other ways to travel during the holidays, and when we do decide to cruise we will book with our other cruise line we favor.

Joseph

Edited by rucrazy

To answer the question on the listed topic.  HAL would be foolish to not monitor CC and social media.  That said, they are more in tune with listening to the shareholders.  

To answer the secondary question about entertainment is a bit more complicated for me.  We recently completed our first HAL cruise in 30+ years on the Zuiderdam.  For many years, we were cruising on the mass market lines and were looking for better because we are becoming tired of the crowds, noise, nickel and diming, etc.

We loved the cruise and were very impressed by HAL.  It was the most relaxing cruise that we have taken in many years.  The service and dining were superior to the mainstream lines.  It was definitely a step up.  Our only reservations were about the main stage shows.  They were OK, but we expected a bit more.  HAL has "Carnivalized" the shows with the onboard performers with light boards as props and canned music adapted to the HAL demographic.  We especially liked the fact that you did not have to show up 30 minutes ahead to get a seat and become a captive audience for endless sales pitches for punch boards, etc.

However, I guess that it is very difficult to have it all.

The music walk is better than the overall evening offerings on mainstream ships.

During the daytime, we prefer to relax a bit so we did not miss the silly pool contests and games.  

Perhaps loyal long time HAL cruisers can see reductions, but HAL is still a step above the mass market lines.  

33 minutes ago, rucrazy said:

This years holiday cruise will be our last on HAL for a while... Sad to say we no longer see value.

Joseph

Value is relative to what one wants on a cruise. Fortunately, there are many lines and ships to choose from.  We've never been a fan of onboard production shows because they are over-amplified.  We never choose a cruise based on entertainment, but rather the things that are important to us - the itinerary, the promenade, a sofa or comfortable chairs in the cabin, time of year (fewer feral children running loose) and the price.   A six-thousand passenger floating amusement park during spring break is not for us at any price.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, davy jones said:

Perhaps loyal long time HAL cruisers can see reductions, but HAL is still a step above the mass market lines.  

IMHO no no they are not.. they in MO are no better than the same as the "mass market lines."

• Thanks 1

We really do not care if they listen or read.  For us HAL is just one of several that we can choose.  If HAL does not suit us at a particular time we can simply select a cruise from an alternate cruise line.  There are several very similar cruise lines out there.  It makes no difference to us.

Bottom line is that HAL will move their business forward in a manner that they see fit.  We will continue to select cruises without the limitation of loyalty to any cruise line.

Edited by iancal