Can you get off the ship on embarkation day after you have checked in?

Ginnyfyr

We set sail from Port Everglades Dec 27th and friends will arrive to FLL that day for their cruise which leaves the next day. They were hoping to come to Port Everglades to say a quick hello to us. I don't know if PE security would even let them in if they can't show a boarding pass for a sailing that day. Assuming they were allowed to go to terminal 2, does anyone know if we are able to get off the ship after we have checked in to go have a quick visit in the terminal? 

3 minutes ago, Ginnyfyr said:

We set sail from Port Everglades Dec 27th and friends will arrive to FLL that day for their cruise which leaves the next day. They were hoping to come to Port Everglades to say a quick hello to us. I don't know if PE security would even let them in if they can't show a boarding pass for a sailing that day. Assuming they were allowed to go to terminal 2, does anyone know if we are able to get off the ship after we have checked in to go have a quick visit in the terminal? 

Yes you can get off and go wherever you want.

Correct they will not be permitted to enter the terminal building. (they could come to the outside entrance)

Maybe head to 17th St and have lunch at Kelly's Landing?

There are several restaurants within walking distance of terminal 2.

• Like 2

Thank you both for the speedy responses! Sounds like we will have to settle for them trying to spot us from shore on our balcony as we sail away or see if we can arrange lunch or even just a drink before we set sail.

From pier 2 it's a short walk to SE 17th St. where you can meet your friends. At terminal 2 there is no security to enter the port parking deck area. They could walk to the parking deck area, call you and you can come out to meet them. They will not be allowed inside the terminal itself. There are a few lunch locations close to the pier, for example Harbor Cafe for a quick diner style lunch. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ginnyfyr said:

I was able to deduce you must be on the CROWN and it is a Friday and no other Princess ships.  Reason you might be more specific next time is that Crown will only get Terminal 2 if none of her big sisters are in port.

13 hours ago, skynight said:

From pier 2 it's a short walk to SE 17th St. where you can meet your friends. At terminal 2 there is no security to enter the port parking deck area. They could walk to the parking deck area, call you and you can come out to meet them. They will not be allowed inside the terminal itself. There are a few lunch locations close to the pier, for example Harbor Cafe for a quick diner style lunch. 

OP - if you have more time for lunch and want canal side dining, try Boatyard on 17th Street:  http://boatyard.restaurant/

Here's the port map that might help:  https://assets.simpleviewinc.com/simpleview/image/upload/v1/clients/porteverglades/Port_Map_Update_Feb_5_2019_c3513794-cec5-467a-899d-9242d64c9c90.pdf

It's doable, but depending on how you plan to get to the port it would likely be easier to go drop off your luggage, go out and meet your friends, and then come back and check in later.  Keep in mind that you need to be checked in 90 minutes before the ship departs (which would be 2:30 for a 4:00 departure.)

Edited by Vexorg
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Yes you can get off and go wherever you want.

Correct they will not be permitted to enter the terminal building. (they could come to the outside entrance)

Maybe head to 17th St and have lunch at Kelly's Landing?

There are several restaurants within walking distance of terminal 2.

Stop telling people about Kelly's Landing, is too busy as it is! LOL!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Not relevant to Port Everglades, but for general knowledge I do recall reading that in Vancouver, while it's technically allowed to get back off the ship after your initial boarding, you probably don't want to do it. The reason being that you apparently pass through customs, as if you were leaving Canada and entering the U.S., when you board the ship there so you don't need to go through customs at whatever your first Alaska port is.

So if you leave again you have to go through customs to enter Canada again. Which my first thought was, would they even be set up to do that? But thousands of guests just got off the ship and had to enter Canada, so I guess so and there presumably would be no line.

But the potential problem arises when you have to reboard and have to wait in the same line as all the people checking in to go through customs again. I wonder if even that would be a problem if you were returning to the ship late in the boarding process? There might not be many late arrivals boarding at that time. But the discussion I read seemed to think it might be so I don't dare risk it on my upcoming Alaska cruise.

That's a shame though, because many cruisers probably haven't seen Vancouver yet.

Edited by Earthworm Jim

1 hour ago, Earthworm Jim said:

Not relevant to Port Everglades, but for general knowledge I do recall reading that in Vancouver, while it's technically allowed to get back off the ship after your initial boarding, you probably don't want to do it. The reason being that you apparently pass through customs, as if you were leaving Canada and entering the U.S., when you board the ship there so you don't need to go through customs at whatever your first Alaska port is.

So if you leave again you have to go through customs to enter Canada again. Which my first thought was, would they even be set up to do that? But thousands of guests just got off the ship and had to enter Canada, so I guess so and there presumably would be no line.

But the potential problem arises when you have to reboard and have to wait in the same line as all the people checking in to go through customs again. I wonder if even that would be a problem if you were returning to the ship late in the boarding process? There might not be many late arrivals boarding at that time. But the discussion I read seemed to think it might be so I don't dare risk it on my upcoming Alaska cruise.

That's a shame though, because many cruisers probably haven't seen Vancouver yet.

I've actually disembarked and gotten back on the ship in Vancouver before, although that was on a sailing with a late (Midnight) departure.  If I recall correctly, passengers who disembark and return could use the in transit line, which bypasses most of the checks, and this particular sailing didn't have CBP (this was done on board the ship in San Francisco.)  Canada Place also has NEXUS lines, which would be much faster if you have one of those.

• Like 1

Your friends will have no problem getting access to the exterior of terminal 2 since it is 'outside' the port's security gate.

I suggest you board Crown, have a nice lunch in the MDR while your friends plane is landing and they are getting to their hotel across the street from terminal 2. Then once your lunch is done, around 1 or 130, they will likely also be ready to walk over to terminal 2. Then bring your Medallion and picture ID with you when you leave the ship, once you have coordinated with your non-sailing friends on what time to meet outside the terminal.

Hugs and kisses all around and maybe a little catching-up-on-things time and you'll want to re-board so you can unpack a little prior to muster. Your friends will want to then walk over to Total Wine to get a couple of bottles for their cruise and be back in their corner room of the hotel to watch you sail away.

(In case no one has yet figured it out: we are the friends they are going to meet!! Hey Jen😀🥂)

Just now, geoherb said:

And then receive the letter telling you that you have to make up the muster drill because you missed it.

The one I received just outlined the details of the muster drill but never indicated that we had to do a make up.