'JUST' water ..... no more plastic water bottles

Buckeye10640

On 1/5/2020 at 7:32 AM, PortFees45 said:

There is NO dollar more stupidly spent on a cruise ship then on bottled water. 

For crying out loud, take an empty bottle, fill it with tap water from your sink that's probably cleaner than what you drink at home, throw a lemon slice in there (optional) and put it in the fridge. A hour or two later it's literally indistinguishable from what you pay for, AND you don't have to poison yourself by drinking out of an aluminum-lined box!

I am happy to spend my money on bottled water, home and cruise.....you do you.

Thanks for the answers all, although not OP, I will just go online and order whatever the package is they sell, unless I upgrade my drink package, which still may happen.

Edited by js
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, js said:

Thanks for the answers all, although not OP, I will just go online and order whatever the package is they sell, unless I upgrade my drink package, which still may happen.

You're welcome anyway, dear. 

54 minutes ago, js said:

I agree - do what you want to do - Too many preachers - people ask an innocent question and get crucified on  CC !!!!!!!!!!!!

The water on the ship is desalinated water,  as is bathroom sink water.   I  drank  water from the bathroom sink but it's not "drinking water".  Hope this "Just water" has a better taste than tap water.

Edited by kitty-sail

1 hour ago, kitty-sail said:

The water on the ship is desalinated water,  as is bathroom sink water.   I  drank  water from the bathroom sink but it's not "drinking water".  Hope this "Just water" has a better taste than tap water.

Of course the water from the bathroom sink is drinking water. 

10 hours ago, mking8288 said:

BTW, it was asked & confirmed - yesterday - at the Gem's Panama crossing's M&G that ship's tap water in the cabin/stateroom/suite aren't filtered except those at the buffet & restaurants, water "stations" - otherwise w/o the extra filtration.  

Isn’t that what a reverse osmosis plant is. Pushing water through a large filter?  Check it out. 

And the evaporators that makes pure distilled water (which then has some minerals added to give it some flavor - just like bottled water). 

So, what are you filtering?  

Edited by BirdTravels

2 hours ago, kitty-sail said:

1) It's not necessarily desalinated water. The ships can and do take on potable water in ports. Depends on the ports and itineraries and such. 

3) All your food is cooked in that water. Ice is made from it. The soda gun uses that water when it mixes the soda. 

2) They have filters on the ice makers and dispensers that gets rid of chlorine et al which is why that tastes better than "straight" tap water. Kinda like how tap water at your home can be meh, but put it through a britta filter and it's better. 

10 hours ago, PortFees45 said:

"BTW, it was asked & confirmed - yesterday - at the Gem's Panama crossing's M&G that ship's tap water in the cabin/stateroom/suite aren't filtered except those at the buffet & restaurants, water "stations" - otherwise w/o the extra filtration."

So what are you drinking in cabin tap water that isn't present in water from the buffet? 

Pool chlorine. The buffet, bars and restaurants use carbon filters that remove the chlorine.

8 hours ago, PortFees45 said:

I wonder if there's a correlation between people who buy the water package and people who think the world is 6000 years old

Some people like bottled water over tap water. Some people prefer Budweiser over Coors. Some people prefer red wine over white wine.

Why do you care?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, fshagan said:

Some people like bottled water over tap water. Some people prefer Budweiser over Coors. Some people prefer red wine over white wine.

Why do you care?

Google "Great Pacific Garbage Patch".

OP here....geez people this has gone downhill fast. At least I got a couple useful answers. I was asking if anyone had used them .....not asking to be lectured on whether or not I SHOULD use them. That is a decision I will make....on my own.  I use disposable plastic water bottles sparingly but there are times convenience wins out. I expect the  'convenience factor' tradeoff hits most everyone at some time or another although the context/product may be different.

I wish I could keep up....one week we are saving trees....the next it is the plastic that replaced it.  Next week it will be some stupid drama about the 'carbon footprint' of the manufacturing process.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, ray98 said:

I wish I could keep up....one week we are saving trees....the next it is the plastic that replaced it.  Next week it will be some stupid drama about the 'carbon footprint' of the manufacturing process.

why is carbon footprint in quotes?

Also we don't save plastic the way we save trees. Plastic is an entirely artificial man-made creation that doesn't exist in nature, and plastic plays no role in regulating the biosphere. Trees are a naturally occurring and critical part of our ecological health - so your comparison is confusing. 

32 minutes ago, MotownVoice said:

Tuna Roll or a Nut spelled backwards spells Tuna Roll or a Nut.

I still wouldn't drink that unsafe crap.

It is more than safe.  The process the cruise ships use is very good at purifying the sea water.  It is probably better than the water most people are getting at their homes from the tap.  Do you think the water we are getting from Lake St Clair is cleaner than the sea water?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RedwingHockeyFan said:

It is more than safe.  The process the cruise ships use is very good at purifying the sea water.  It is probably better than the water most people are getting at their homes from the tap.  Do you think the water we are getting from Lake St Clair is cleaner than the sea water?

There are ample numbers of posts here and at Travel Advisory by crew members who know more than you do about how they purify their drinking water that say while it isn't "bad for you" it's not the best water and they wouldn't drink it.

But never mind that.  I'll just take your word for it since you seem to know everything.

45 minutes ago, MotownVoice said:

There are ample numbers of posts here and at Travel Advisory by crew members who know more than you do about how they purify their drinking water that say while it isn't "bad for you" it's not the best water and they wouldn't drink it.

But never mind that.  I'll just take your word for it since you seem to know everything.

link to one

We will be bringing our refillable soda cups that RCL gave us on our last two cruises.  This is our first time back on NCL in a few years and I'm getting nervous that things have really gone downhill. I hope I'm wrong. 

22 minutes ago, darla250 said:

We will be bringing our refillable soda cups that RCL gave us on our last two cruises.  This is our first time back on NCL in a few years and I'm getting nervous that things have really gone downhill. I hope I'm wrong. 

No more so than RCL. :classic_wink: I cruise both equally choosing usually based on price.