$10 room service charge. Do I tip the person who delivers too?

Petoonya

I'm an Oceania regular and we tip $10 for room service when it's delivered. Do I tip the deliverer too on NCL or is that what the $10 service fee is for?

I'm sorry to be so dumb but I'm not used to this.

On Oceania the room service items are scrumptious. Are they on NCL?

I always tip a few dollars for room service.

Is the food scrumptious???.... well.... lol. No IMO. I'm really not picky with food at all but I'd say its around basic pub food level. Great for late at night when nothing is open. And getting breakfast in morning is a nice!

Q: Is the “service charge” on my room-service bill the same as a gratuity?

A: Though the exact definition varies from hotel to hotel, service charge usually indicates a pooled tip, to be divided up by the entire room service department. If your specific attendant was particularly good, you may consider giving an extra gratuity—but are in no way obliged to do so. To be sure, ask what the hotel’s policy is when placing your order.

Thanks everyone. Wasn't sure if the $10 was the tip. But since not, that late night sandwich or cheesecake better be pretty darn good!

If getting breakfast in the morning is nice as someone mentioned, what is the breakfast menu like? Can we get a full breakfast, like pancakes and bacon? Or is a continental breakfast?

You know, the thing is Oceania is owned by NCL and as yet (yet!) there is no service fee for room service. I've only cruised in the last year on Oceania and Windstar and there is no mandatory service fee. Are other cruise lines moving in this direction?

***** Well, researched my own question. Princess no service fee, Royal Carib $7.95

So it's a'comin' everywhere.

Edited by Petoonya

4 minutes ago, trummy said:

I have always tipped before, but have never been charged a service charge. This will be my first time on NCL.

My first time too. I was astonished. It seems more fair overall that it goes to all of the staff. But for some funny reason I sense that it doesn't.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Petoonya said:

My first time too. I was astonished. It seems more fair overall that it goes to all of the staff. But for some funny reason I sense that it doesn't.

I sense it doesn't either. 

I am excited about my upcoming NCL cruise, but man, extra charges are everywhere.

Customers unite, I found this interesting article....https://www.al.com/news/2019/01/carnival-cruise-delays-plans-to-charge-for-room-service.html

Miami-based Carnival said the decision to charge customers for room service was an effort to reduce food waste.

That didn’t sit well with customers, many of whom went online to complain, prompting a reversal – at least temporarily.

In a statement to USA Today, Carnival said it was “making some adjustments to that plan to balance the interests of our guests with our efforts to reduce food waste costs. For the time being, there will be no changes until we finalize a plan that will be communicated to guests and travel agency partners alike."

According to USA Today, Holland America, Disney Cruise Line and Princess Cruises are the only major cruise lines that offer free room service. Royal Caribbean and Norwegian both charge $7.95 per order with the exception of continental breakfasts.

46 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

Can we get a full breakfast, like pancakes and bacon? Or is a continental breakfast?

Is Norwegian Cruise Line now charging for room service?

Norwegian Cruise Line has introduced an enhanced room service menu. The new menu offers an expanded selection for breakfast, in addition to a wider variety of options available 24 hours. Individual items on the menu remain available on a complimentary basis and a convenience charge of up to $9.95 USD will be added to each order placed (Morning coffee, continental breakfast and orders placed by guests sailing in The Haven will not attract a charge)*. A 20% gratuity and beverage service charge will be added for non-complimentary beverages and special occasion items.

Continental items = no charge during breakfast hours

Hot items = service charge per order. 

1 hour ago, Petoonya said:

I'm an Oceania regular and we tip $10 for room service when it's delivered. Do I tip the deliverer too on NCL or is that what the $10 service fee is for?

I'm sorry to be so dumb but I'm not used to this.

On Oceania the room service items are scrumptious. Are they on NCL?

Yes, you tip the delivery person.  $10 is a bit on the chincy side.  I would think about upping that.  No, the food is barely edible.

For your convenience of course...

8 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

Is Norwegian Cruise Line now charging for room service?

Norwegian Cruise Line has introduced an enhanced room service menu. The new menu offers an expanded selection for breakfast, in addition to a wider variety of options available 24 hours. Individual items on the menu remain available on a complimentary basis and a convenience charge of up to $9.95 USD will be added to each order placed (Morning coffee, continental breakfast and orders placed by guests sailing in The Haven will not attract a charge)*. A 20% gratuity and beverage service charge will be added for non-complimentary beverages and special occasion items.

Continental items = no charge during breakfast hours

Hot items = service charge per order. 

5 hours ago, Love my butler said:

Yes, you tip the delivery person.  $10 is a bit on the chincy side.  I would think about upping that.  No, the food is barely edible.

For your convenience of course...

I don't know if $10 is on the chintzy side! If I'm paying a $10 service charge and then $10 on top of that to the person who delivers for $20 total, I'd say that's pretty generous. I don't get it 😞

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Petoonya said:

I don't know if $10 is on the chintzy side! If I'm paying a $10 service charge and then $10 on top of that to the person who delivers for $20 total, I'd say that's pretty generous. I don't get it 😞

I agree with you.  $10 tip on a $10 service charge is a 100% gratuity, hardly chintzy.  $2 would be more than sufficient.

Edited by Oakman58
  • Like 2

A service charge usually means no tip from me because the entire purpose of a service charge is to compensate the involved workers.  We only order coffee though so I still tip the usual $2 or $3.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Petoonya said:

It’s not chintzy!!!  No way would I pay $10 on top of $10 for not so good food. Sorry but you might be disappointed after a Oceania which has excellent food

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Petoonya said:

I hope he said that "tongue-in-cheek".  I tip, on land restaurants...20%.  So it would have to be a $50 check for me to give $10.  As long as I'm capable of walking I'd never order room service (never did...even when it was free) but if I'm already paying a $10 "whatever name you give it" I wouldn't give anything extra unless it was a very large order.

17 minutes ago, April42749 said:

I hope he said that "tongue-in-cheek".  I tip, on land restaurants...20%.  So it would have to be a $50 check for me to give $10.  As long as I'm capable of walking I'd never order room service (never did...even when it was free) but if I'm already paying a $10 "whatever name you give it" I wouldn't give anything extra unless it was a very large order.

Don't believe room service is on the horizon for us at NCL.

My usual cruise line is Oceania. At times when we've had a full day we don't feel like dining. Then about 11pm we'll get hungry, and since everything is closed we'll order room service. The items on the O room service menu are as close to delicious as in the dining room. But there is no service charge on Oceania and tipping the deliverer $10 is just what I do. Won't be participating in NCL room service with the feedback on the quality of food anyway. The world of cruising continues to change. Thanks.

Edited by Petoonya

2 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

Don't believe room service is on the horizon for us at NCL.

My usual cruise line is Oceania. At times when we've had a full day we don't feel like dining. Then about 11pm we'll get hungry, and since everything is closed we'll order room service. The items on the O room service menu are as close to delicious as in the dining room. But there is no service charge on Oceania and tipping the deliverer $10 is just what I do. Won't be participating in NCL room service with the feedback on the quality of food anyway. The world of cruising continues to change. Thanks.

I hope I am wrong but I think you will be disappointed by the food on ncl compared to oceania 

6 minutes ago, Newleno said:

I hope I am wrong but I think you will be disappointed by the food on ncl compared to oceania 

I've lowered my expectations for dining on this cruise and yet my TA says I might be pleasantly surprised.  Doing this for a family reunion. It'll be wonderful regardless of dining experience 🙂

Edited by Petoonya