Hope Caribbean sailings dont get cancelled!

lbt43

17 hours ago, voyager70 said:

Media hysteria here we go again

The original question is a bit lame.

But, yeah, you are so right.

Over 9,000 confirmed cases as of yesterday.

Over 212 dead.

Cases on American soil.

Why would the media even bother to carry such unimportant news?

You confident enough to take an Asian cruise?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, John Reid said:

Over 212 dead.

Cases on American soil.

Are you familiar with the media in the US?  Every time a new strain of flu or virus happens (bird flu, swine flu, SARS to name a few) they make it out like there's a massive pandemic on the way and we're all doomed.  I realize it's a serious situation and in no way do I wish to trivialize it, but the media in this country has a habit of sensationalism.  And, to answer your question,  I would not do an Asian cruise right now, but I have no plans of cancelling my 2020 cruises in the Caribbean and Med.

• Like 3

We are still going on our Asian cruise on 15th Feb on Quantum. Had an email last night to say it's been changed from a Singapore to Hong Kong itinerary to round trip Singapore which we think is a good thing. We are due to fly to Singapore on 11th so unless anything drastic happens between now and then we'll be there. Lots of people on the roll call and FB cancelling though so think the ship will be half empty (I wonder if we'll be allowed in CL 😂).

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, John Reid said:

Over 212 dead.

Cases on American soil.

The CDC estimates that since October 2019, up to 25,000 people may have died from the flu. 35,000 died in 2018/2019 from the flu, 2017/2018 was over 60,000 deaths. Are people in a panic that they may get the flu? Even with all these deaths the vaccination rate is somewhere around 45%. So 60k deaths in a span of six months and less than half of the population gets a flu shot.

Lets compare that to the coronavirus. If the number of confirmed cases is accurate, they probably aren't as people that only have mild issues most likely haven't sought treatment, this is a low mortality rate. And from what I have read most of the people that have passed have been elderly people with prior medical conditions that make them more susceptible to illness.

So yes it is a bit of fear mongering.

Remember when people were panicked about Ebola and the Zika virus. These still exist but something else has replaced them as the thing to worry about.

Edited by BeachChik
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, BeachChik said:

So yes it is a bit of fear mongering.

Remember when people were panicked about Ebola and the Zika virus. These still exist but something else has replaced them as the thing to worry about.

Sometimes, it is wise to monger fear. Take a look at the images of babies deformed by Zika and then ask yourself how many were spared by the fear mongering that made people take sensible precautions. Would you have preferred pregnant women be uninformed and traveled to the affected areas? And now Ebola is not a big deal?  

"That's 'cause it ain't hard

To get along with somebody else's troubles,

And they don't make you lose any sleep at night.

Just as long as fate is out there bustin' somebody else's bubbles,

Everything's gonna be all right."

Steve Goodman