Cost of photos

mek

I haven't bought photos in years, but next week we will have four generations together so I'm sure I'll pick up a couple.  Just curious - how much is Carnival now charging for photos?

A digital version of a photo is $19.99. You can buy it from the HUB app or at Pixels. They offer package deals if you want more pictures (2 for $35, etc). We get the digital and then print the sizes/quantity we want through Shutterfly or Target Photo.

1 hour ago, 718ariana said:

A digital version of a photo is $19.99. You can buy it from the HUB app or at Pixels. They offer package deals if you want more pictures (2 for $35, etc). We get the digital and then print the sizes/quantity we want through Shutterfly or Target Photo.

May or may not be available on every ship....

10 hours ago, 718ariana said:

8 hours ago, Lottacruises said:

May or may not be available on every ship....

this is only one ships with the digital pixels system which is these ships:

Pixels Digital Photo Gallery is currently on the following ships: Carnival Breeze, Carnival Conquest, Carnival Horizon, Carnival Magic, Carnival Panorama, Carnival Paradise, Carnival Radiance, Carnival Victory, Carnival Vista and Mardi Gras.

All other ships still print everything out

If you buy the printed photo you can add a digital file. We did that on the Inspiration last month. I want to say the formal picture was between $20-25 and then to add the USB digital file it was like another $20 and we picked it up later that evening. They would not let us buy just the digital file.

The digital file came with a photo release form on the USB so we took the photo to Costco and printed the sizes we wanted.

3 hours ago, deadmoney said:

Am I the only one who thinks their photo prices are obscene?

Their prices have been obscene for quite some time now!

We haven't cruised now since April 2015 - 5 yrs. ago

but it was two or three cruises previous to that last one

when we decided Enough is Enough unless the photo was spectacularly good

- and even then!!

I didn't have time to read all your responses, but if you haven't cruised as yet, they are running a photo pkg. deal, if you book it just before cruising.  It is 5 8 x 10 photos for I believe $100, which was a pretty good deal.  I think a canvas photo comes with it as well.

When we sailed in May 2019, we got the $99.95 photo package.  Your canvas has to be one of the five.  We also downloaded them through the hub app.  I think there were one or two photos that we purchased in addition.  We were traveling with all our adult kids, so we wanted some good photos.  Even if you don't get the digital version, the photos scan well.  That's what we have done in the past.  Then you can share the digital version with family/friends.

• Like 1

The problem with the package (the only one they offer), is that basically you are getting the canvas for free.  I would much rather have an assortment 5 x 7 and 8 x 10 instead of the canvas.  I'd like to see a package like Disney has at the park where you pay $169 ahead of your trip (or $199 during) and you get to download every single picture taken of you during your visit. Think  how cost effective that would be for a group or family.  You could just link your accounts (like you do or dinner) and all the pictures of you and your linked group would be there for one price. 

I'll bet if they tried it, it would be a great hit.  No more wasting time going through thousands of photos and sometimes never finding the one you know they took.  You could check out your photos at your leisure.  Or even on the way home!  No more waste of paper or ink,  more environmentally friendly - isn't that what Carnival wants?

OK - rant over!  LOL

16 minutes ago, TerReuv said:

The problem with the package (the only one they offer), is that basically you are getting the canvas for free.  I would much rather have an assortment 5 x 7 and 8 x 10 instead of the canvas.  I'd like to see a package like Disney has at the park where you pay $169 ahead of your trip (or $199 during) and you get to download every single picture taken of you during your visit. Think  how cost effective that would be for a group or family.  You could just link your accounts (like you do or dinner) and all the pictures of you and your linked group would be there for one price. 

I'll bet if they tried it, it would be a great hit.  No more wasting time going through thousands of photos and sometimes never finding the one you know they took.  You could check out your photos at your leisure.  Or even on the way home!  No more waste of paper or ink,  more environmentally friendly - isn't that what Carnival wants?

OK - rant over!  LOL

They actually DID try that and people abused it. Took an obscene amount of pics to the point that the photographers were overrun constantly and so Carnival took it away. Or so they say that's the reason. Probably more likely they noticed a hit to their bottom line lol.

41 minutes ago, Pyxie said:

They actually DID try that and people abused it. Took an obscene amount of pics to the point that the photographers were overrun constantly and so Carnival took it away. Or so they say that's the reason. Probably more likely they noticed a hit to their bottom line lol.

Interesting, I never heard about that.  I just posted on John Heald's FB page about it.

I wonder how D keeps it in control?  Maybe they could implement a certain # of portraits and then all your casual ones?  I would think that would work.  Say you figure 1 portrait picture per day of cruise?

I'll be interested to see what John says.

1 hour ago, Pyxie said:

20 minutes ago, TerReuv said:

Interesting, I never heard about that.  I just posted on John Heald's FB page about it.

I wonder how D keeps it in control?  Maybe they could implement a certain # of portraits and then all your casual ones?  I would think that would work.  Say you figure 1 portrait picture per day of cruise?

I'll be interested to see what John says.

The problem was that it was offered on ships where they printed each and every picture, and they didn't have the digital on many ships. It was the printing of the pictures, and then having them scanned into the customers account for the digital version (the package came with both print and digital) that they couldn't keep up with.

I think that once all ships are converted to digital only, then we'll see the return. D keeps it in control by:

1. Having the photographers scan/input the people's account, so the pics go right to the customer (no sorting needed)

2. Excellent line management for those waiting for pictures.  And, even on the ships, with long lines to have pictures with the characters, the lines are managed well.

Even now, during formal night, the photographers are swamped with long lines.  I don't think Carnival or pixels would care if they photographers had longer lines throughout the cruise. As long as they have line management and people can get through.

2 minutes ago, PrincessArlena'sDad said:

The problem was that it was offered on ships where they printed each and every picture, and they didn't have the digital on many ships. It was the printing of the pictures, and then having them scanned into the customers account for the digital version (the package came with both print and digital) that they couldn't keep up with.

I think that once all ships are converted to digital only, then we'll see the return. D keeps it in control by:

1. Having the photographers scan/input the people's account, so the pics go right to the customer (no sorting needed)

2. Excellent line management for those waiting for pictures.  And, even on the ships, with long lines to have pictures with the characters, the lines are managed well.

Even now, during formal night, the photographers are swamped with long lines.  I don't think Carnival or pixels would care if they photographers had longer lines throughout the cruise. As long as they have line management and people can get through.

That does make sense and what a totally ridiculous way to do it!  It was set up to fail.

I'm talking back & forth on FB with someone on John's page.  He mentioned the formal ones too.  I suggested an all casual package with options to purchase your formal ones at a discount.  That would encourage people to purchase more, but not have the excess of those who abuse the formal pictures.  All they have to do is scan our cards like D scans the bands.  They already have the tech to scan them when we leave & return.  They just need handheld devices for photographers.

John did say more packages were in the works, but didn't say when or what type.

6 minutes ago, TerReuv said:

That does make sense and what a totally ridiculous way to do it!  It was set up to fail.

I'm talking back & forth on FB with someone on John's page.  He mentioned the formal ones too.  I suggested an all casual package with options to purchase your formal ones at a discount.  That would encourage people to purchase more, but not have the excess of those who abuse the formal pictures.  All they have to do is scan our cards like D scans the bands.  They already have the tech to scan them when we leave & return.  They just need handheld devices for photographers.

John did say more packages were in the works, but didn't say when or what type.

They don't even need extra handheld devices.  They can take a picture of your S&S card before taking your picture, and when they upload it into their computer, the computer scans the photos for the S&S cards, and distributes the pictures accordingly.

Busch gardens/sea world uses this system.

18 minutes ago, PrincessArlena'sDad said:

They don't even need extra handheld devices.  They can take a picture of your S&S card before taking your picture, and when they upload it into their computer, the computer scans the photos for the S&S cards, and distributes the pictures accordingly.

Busch gardens/sea world uses this system.

You and I need to get in there and tell them how to do this!  LOL  I'm not sailing until October, but it would be really nice if they figured out some better packages before then!

3 hours ago, TerReuv said:

You and I need to get in there and tell them how to do this!  LOL  I'm not sailing until October, but it would be really nice if they figured out some better packages before then!

I don't want a package - only a couple of 5X7's.  It doesn't sound like that size is available????????

1 hour ago, mek said:

I don't want a package - only a couple of 5X7's.  It doesn't sound like that size is available????????

If this is any help.....this got me to wondering. We bought 2 pics from our Dream cruise last year. The total cost was $26.98. And the exact size of each picture was:  8 3/4  x  5  15/16. Kind of an odd size. I'm glad we bought them. 

Hope that helps.