Don't forget to include resident state!

I was checking my cruise prices and noticed that my NRD Grandeur Sep to Bermuda cruise had gone down... called with expected decrease to rebook and was surprised by a much more substantial drop. The agent asked... did you put in your resident state? I hadn't as hardly ever causes a discount - today $176 more! A happy start to the day.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, fdthird said:

Never saw any discount for NJ. 

Or New York.  There aren't as many ports here like there are in Florida. The ships (any cruise line) fill up because of the dense population and limited choices. I have never found any last minute deals either.  My in laws in Florida get last minute offers all of the time. Sometimes it's cheaper to go on a cruise than to stay home.

4 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Or New York.  There aren't as many ports here like there are in Florida. The ships (any cruise line) fill up because of the dense population and limited choices. I have never found any last minute deals either.  My in laws in Florida get last minute offers all of the time. Sometimes it's cheaper to go on a cruise than to stay home.

The NY Metro Area (NY, NJ, CT) do show up from time to time, usually when the sailings from Cape Liberty are not going so well.  I have even gotten a residency discount for clients on the may sailings of Oasis.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stevea36 said:

The NY Metro Area (NY, NJ, CT) do show up from time to time, usually when the sailings from Cape Liberty are not going so well.  I have even gotten a residency discount for clients on the may sailings of Oasis.

Ontario gets added quite a lot to the residents discount for Bayonne.  Picked up a good one for Canadian Thanksgiving on Oasis.

24 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Ontario gets added quite a lot to the residents discount for Bayonne.  Picked up a good one for Canadian Thanksgiving on Oasis.

LOL ..... Ontario isn't even in the same country how is there a resident discount?

7 minutes ago, molly361 said:

I miss the old days when you could just put in your state, senior and/or military and only cruises with those discounts would show up.  Good for those with flexible travel dates.  SIGH!!!

They are probably few and far between now. I only see prices going up closer to sailing on Royal Caribbean. There are still last minute deals on Princess but I would have to pay the higher cost to fly to Florida so it's not much of a deal. Their itineraries in the Caribbean are also lame.  I'm spoiled with 9 day cruises and sailing from a local port. It's not worth flying for a 7 day cruise.

Edited by Iamcruzin

I've gotten a NY resident discount when sailing out of Florida.....once....many years ago. Not sure why. Perhaps it was during the snowbird migration back north and Florida was enticing NY'er to stick around a bit longer?

1 hour ago, Iamcruzin said:

My in laws in Florida get last minute offers all of the time. Sometimes it's cheaper to go on a cruise than to stay home.

I've always envied those that live in Miami or FLL that are 30 minutes from the port and can cut out of work early on a Friday and hop on a 3 or 4-day cruise for a long weekend.  My long weekend excursions are either to Vermont or Jersey shore.  I wonder if people on those short cruises are ever envious of me? 😉

37 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

I'm spoiled with 9 day cruises and sailing from a local port. It's not worth flying for a 7 day cruise.

I'm spoiled by 9 day cruises period.  Those 9 or11 day cruises seem to be the perfect length for me, depending on the sail dates, I'm not really using thay much extra vacation time.

While Cape Liberty is super convenient for me - less than 90 minute drive away - Florida will still remain as my primary sail away area. So many ships and itineraries to choose from, plus I like sailing away from a warm weather port. I'll usually tack on a few extra days pre-cruise vacation to make the flight worthwhile.

52 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

LOL ..... Ontario isn't even in the same country how is there a resident discount?

Why would you think that you need to be a resident of a state to qualify for a resident discount?  North America is treated as one market by Royal Caribbean.   There was a time several years ago that Ontario was offered more resident discounts than any other state including Florida.  Resident discounts are great for the cruise line as they can offer a discount to a certain population or subset of a population without having to worry about the entire country calling in to get their cruise repriced.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Why would you think that you need to be a resident of a state to qualify for a resident discount?  North America is treated as one market by Royal Caribbean.   There was a time several years ago that Ontario was offered more resident discounts than any other state including Florida.  Resident discounts are great for the cruise line as they can offer a discount to a certain population or subset of a population without having to worry about the entire country calling in to get their cruise repriced.

To me a resident is someone who lives in the state the port is located. That's how I thought the cruise lines looked at it as well.  I didn't realize is was based on the entire continent. This makes it even worse that I never see any. Once I found a senior rate on Celebrity but it was for interior rooms only as they weren't included in the pick your perk deals.

Edited by Iamcruzin

3 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

To me a resident is someone who lives in the state the port is located. That's how I thought the cruise lines looked at it as well.  I didn't realize is was based on the entire continent. This makes it even worse that I never see any. Once I found a senior rate on Celebrity but it was for interior rooms only as they weren't included in the pick your perk deals.

I see how you were thinking.  They go by states so that they can target states with low sales on a particular cruise in order to help fill the ship.  There are quite a lot of states that they always group together and treat them more as a region.

You could even have a situation where a ship sailing out of Bayonne has sold very well to locals but not the rest of the country so every state other than NY and NJ is offered a discount. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, twangster said:

Few resident rates for Colorado.  (like never)

Celebrity throws a few bones to CO, not so much on Royal.

Back home already or  waiting for connecting flight? must be some serious jet lag.

Edited by Jimbo

6 hours ago, molly361 said:

I miss the old days when you could just put in your state, senior and/or military and only cruises with those discounts would show up.  Good for those with flexible travel dates.  SIGH!!!

4 hours ago, The Fun Researcher said:

Like @molly361 I just wish there was an easy way to look up cruises that get a discount based on where you reside.

I don't understand the need to search by discount.  Am I missing something?

When I'm looking for a cruise, I look at the overall price, not just whether I'm being offered a discount on a particular cruise.  For example, a cruise that is $500 with no discount is better than a $900 cruise with a $200 discount for a net of $700 (obviously, assuming similar ships/ports/lengths).  

Why would I want to limit my search criteria to only show me the $700 cruise when the $500 cruise is actually a better deal?

Our cruise on Freedom in a couple weeks has HUGE New York State discounts. It started at $393 and got as high as $792. Unfortunately, the price of the cruise had gone up so much since we booked that, even after our NYS discount, the price was still higher than what we originally booked at.

23 minutes ago, brillohead said:

I don't understand the need to search by discount.  Am I missing something?

When I'm looking for a cruise, I look at the overall price, not just whether I'm being offered a discount on a particular cruise.  For example, a cruise that is $500 with no discount is better than a $900 cruise with a $200 discount for a net of $700 (obviously, assuming similar ships/ports/lengths).  

Why would I want to limit my search criteria to only show me the $700 cruise when the $500 cruise is actually a better deal?

They are not discounts they are special prices which are lower than regular pricing

Just now, molly361 said:

They are not discounts they are special prices which are lower than regular pricing

I've forgotten about that. Did it show you what the special price was or did it just indicate that there was special pricing available and you still had to go thru the mock booking process to see what the price was?

1 minute ago, HBE4 said:

I've forgotten about that. Did it show you what the special price was or did it just indicate that there was special pricing available and you still had to go thru the mock booking process to see what the price was?

Haven't seen one in a long time not sure how they show up now

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, fdthird said:

Never saw any discount for NJ. 

They charge NJ residents extra !!!  Just kidding.  See you are from OC.  My wife and I grew up in Linwood and Northfield and summers on the OC beach and boardwalk.  Could use a slice of Mack and Manco pizza !!!