Email from Orlando Ashford - Great response to a crisis

ASIWISH

10 hours ago, AJY64 said:

I have a cruise booked which begins on June 8th.  Any idea about the policy for cruises after May 31?

Since it is for cruises through May 31, it does not sound like there is a policy in place for cruises after that. They are probably waiting to see if the crisis gets worse or it abates before deciding what to do with cruises after that.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ready2cruzagain said:

We didn't get the letter and are booked on Holland.

I'm glad to see this but I didn't receive the email either, and I did check spam. They have my email address. I've booked many cruises directly with HAL and am signed up for their emails. I have a March 18 cruise booked. I usually book directly with HAL, but this time did it online via Expedia because of an OBC offer. I wonder if that's why I didn't get it? At any rate, I'd really prefer to continue with my cruise.

Does anyone know about any other perks that were attached to the cruise? We have $200 OBC now, $100 beverage card and free gratuities.  I think we are likely going to cancel.  I would love to have those perks that we got on this cruise transferred to our next one ....

58 minutes ago, kickboxrca said:

Does anyone know about any other perks that were attached to the cruise? We have $200 OBC now, $100 beverage card and free gratuities.  I think we are likely going to cancel.  I would love to have those perks that we got on this cruise transferred to our next one ....

58 minutes ago, kickboxrca said:

Only Holland America or your cruise agent can say but my hunch is you lose the perks when you cancel. I hope your cruise is far enough away you can wait it out. 

Holland America is to be commended on what appears to be a very comprehensive policy. Be sure and click on the link to get further information about procedures they will follow. I hope other lines are being as thorough as HAL appears to be. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have been trying to chat or call about the 'Compassion Policy'.  They are not answering either they are so busy.  Does anyone happen to know what is needed for Compassion Policy to kick in.  My dad is 88 and seeing his doctor on Monday.  I know we are cancelling the 3/27 birthday cruise.

1 hour ago, kickboxrca said:

As with any cancel and re-fare situation, you will almost certainly forfeit your previous perquisites, and your new booking will book at prevailing rates, however that said, some of the enticements that i am currently seeing are very aggressive. You might not end up with the same perqs, but will likely end up further ahead on a net cash value basis.   

Scott. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, YXU AC*SE said:

As with any cancel and re-fare situation, you will almost certainly forfeit your previous perquisites, and your new booking will book at prevailing rates, however that said, some of the enticements that i am currently seeing are very aggressive. You might not end up with the same perqs, but will likely end up further ahead on a net cash value basis.   

Scott. 

Lol you wish. By the time you start to plan your next cruise all these perks might be canceled. Dont trust those huge enterprises. Also, by the time you get closer to tour tour they might just change the conditions in order to obtain these perks. If there was any additional information connected to this offer in that letter, you better check it out or call the agency to confirm this offer. I also wonder how many people received the same. I hope its not a scam

1 hour ago, kickboxrca said:

We had a $300 OBC on a cruise we cancelled two days ago. HAL said that won't transfer to another cruise. It's gone. Although they also said to watch for deals coming up that will offer OBCs. Our TA said he could make it happen for our next booking, one way or another.

Edited by Iris5383
  • Like 1

Called the regular HAL ressie line abt an hour ago. Rebooked our March 21 NA cruise to Zuiderdam December 27 New Years cruise. Same ports and everything and very similar cabins, three verandahs in a row on portside aft. Talked to a reservation agent and she has sent everything over to our PCC to sort out on Monday. No rush at this point. It will be more expensive as holiday cruises always are and sure, it is disappointing but our mom's health and the health of other vulnerable people around us is more important. We are thankful to HAL for making this possible and yes, I told the booking agent so and will tell our PCC too. 

• Like 2

Got through to Holland.  The poor ladies try so hard to answer the questions.  Very nice and patient and was I. I thought that under the compassion policy you got the regular 4 year FCC.  The compassion policy is there if you are outside the May 31 window and want to cancel with a doctors note.  All FCC need to be booked prior to 12/31/2020.

She has to go one a chat forum to ask questions to the next level to get answers.

I did find out FCC is cruise fare and Port taxes and fees are credited back to credit card.

42 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

I hope it's not a scam

Um, no.   Scott. 

Source: 

(and no, post-flagging people, this is NOT proprietary info, it is public domain) 

https://em.hollandamerica.com/pub/sf/FormLink?_ri_=X0Gzc2X%3DYQpglLjHJlTQGsXIedEuekeeRfRtd8E26ImTTObGnzby3yy9JEk8zaUT3dJhOsFg37VXMtX%3DYQpglLjHJlTQGsXIedEuekeeRfRtd8E26IkXze9DrDzaBzbeNpze2Psr0ngFmruzbpN6C&_ei_=Ejnud8eJm0ZwUb1H_yk1uyhIWC3TYzXujys_TUT8A9Rj5eMpeqw0GQcYyrpq90JkbWYFo81YyF6fFGBDmO_zcO7Yj31vEHCQ3uWoDUruhmZBu3y-q7EDrRJeId8T84rtXjkMvF-uKtB3RxZeF5Ta1PhdntDPg3LUYqSmOYsuuU4lLMd91X3DLTM.&_di_=53tdl0m8odjamc9mueves9pq42bq2crhfc7h8tf6v8j3pbv3m070

image.png.69b8175f41743e1634fa77d0c9b22e9f.png

Dear Travel Advisor,

Our success is driven by your continued support, and we recognize that you’ve been working harder than ever during this uncertain time for travel. We greatly appreciate your commitment to Holland America Line and value your partnership.

Please join me for a Holland America Line webinar where we’ll provide a business update.

Date: March 12, 2020
Time: 9:00 AM PT/12:00 PM ET
Registration Link: Register Here

We also want to help you reassure clients who have current bookings or who want to book a future cruise so we have made some temporary changes to our booking policies. Below is what we are doing to support you and your clients:

For Existing Bookings: To give your clients peace of mind, Holland America Line is introducing a new Short Term Cancellation Policy on select cruises. For all departures between now and May 31, 2020, we are allowing guests the option of cancelling their booking no later than March 31, 2020, with a minimum of 72 hours in advance of their departure date. However, this new cancellation program will apply to sailings departing through and including March 9, 2020, which are now within the 72 hour window. Any cancellation will receive a Future Cruise Credit (FCC) for the amount of their cancellation fee that can be used for another cruise in 2020 or 2021. The FCC must be booked by December 31, 2020. This applies to bookings on spring 2020 Land+Sea Journeys and cruises for all destinations. FCCs are nonrefundable, non-transferrable and do not have to be used on the same destination that was cancelled. FCCs are non-commissionable; however, we will offer a $50 bonus re-booking commission per person. We have also made the decision to give your clients longer to make final payment for June 2020 sailings. For all June departures, final payment will now be due at 60 days prior to sailing date.

We also know that there are people with specific individual health situations that impact their ability to safely travel during these times. For those guests who are able to provide supporting documents from their health care provider, Holland America Line will issue them a Future Cruise Credit. For information on submitting a request with documentation under this “Compassion Policy,” please contact our Reservations Department. This offer is available for guests booked on any sailing, regardless of departure date.

As a thank you to currently booked guests who join us for their cruise as planned, up to and including departures through May 31, 2020, we will provide an Onboard Credit of US$200 per stateroom/US$100 per person for voyages longer than 7 days and US$100 per stateroom/US$50 per person for voyages less than 6 days. This credit will be automatically applied to each eligible booking so you do not need to take any action.

For New Bookings: Holland America Line has announced a new “Book with Confidence” program for 2020 cruises. On bookings made from March 1 through April 30, 2020, on sailings departing April 1 to October 15, 2020, your clients may cancel for any reason (up to 30 days before departure; additional restrictions apply) and receive a Future Cruise Credit in the amount of their full deposit and cancellation fees. In addition, this offer is combinable with all of our promotions, including the “Pack These Values” promotion, giving them even more reasons to book their cruise vacation with you today.

And as a thank you for your support during this challenging time, on new bookings made between March 1 and April 30, 2020, you can earn an additional 4 percent bonus commission. This offer is applicable to all of our 2020 sailings.

For more details, please see our Question & Answer document.

We always advise that you encourage your clients to purchase one of Holland America Line’s Cancellation Protection plans (Standard or Platinum). While we have always encouraged guests to protect their vacation investment, it is now more important than ever. Our Cancellation Protection plans allow guests to cancel for any reason, and we also have recently confirmed the policy covers today’s circumstances. That is not the case with many travel insurance plans, so it is important that you direct your clients to a plan like ours that will fully cover them and provide the greatest flexibility.

For the most updated information and for all we are doing to protect guests sailing on our ships, please visit and encourage your clients to visit the Travel Health Advisory page on our website. We also suggest watching the videos on this page from our Chief Medical Officer, Dr. Grant Tarling, on ways to stay healthy.

We sincerely appreciate your ongoing partnership, especially in these extraordinary times.

If you have any questions, please contact your Business Development Manager, call 1-800-544-0443 (select option 4) or email sales@hollandamerica.com.

Thank you again for your business and your loyalty to Holland America Line. As always, we remain committed to your success.

Orlando Ashford
President, Holland America Line

Edited by YXU AC*SE
  • Like 1

I received the email last night. I just checked our April 1st booking on the Veendam and the $200 on board credit is there. Already had $200 OBC so another $200 is appreciated. We do not plan on cancelling the cruise.

• Like 1

Got the email last night and think we are going to wait a few weeks to make a decision.  Our sailing is April 27th Maasdam so we have some time.  We have no health issues but there is a lot to consider.  The $200 is nice and would go to our wine package.

1 hour ago, FlaMariner said:

So I was able to register for the above webinar.  Not sure they want passengers signing up for that but I'm pumped I might get "insider" information....I'll be on the webinar!  LOL.

The linked Q+A document is likely what you will hear covered and pretty much covers every question I have seen asked thus far. 

Scott. 

https://media.hollandamerica.com/TravelAgent/Partnerships/2020/030220_Partnerships_HET2014AS/temporary-booking-policies-COVID-19-final.pdf?camp=CME:20200302_HET2014AS&rmid=20200302_HET2014AS&rrid=1407242

4 hours ago, FlaMariner said:

So I was able to register for the above webinar.  Not sure they want passengers signing up for that but I'm pumped I might get "insider" information....I'll be on the webinar!  LOL.

It would be appreciated by many on this Message Board if you would be kind enough to share with us what you learn.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We booked our May cruise long ago and plan / hope to go. It is my understanding that if we sail, we will get an additional OBC? I viewed my payment tab and saw only an earlier OBC noted - anyone seeing their amount adjusted to reflect the current "stay on board" incentive or am I misunderstanding that older booking would also be getting an additonal credit?

11 minutes ago, suec12 said:

We booked our May cruise long ago and plan / hope to go. It is my understanding that if we sail, we will get an additional OBC? I viewed my payment tab and saw only an earlier OBC noted - anyone seeing their amount adjusted to reflect the current "stay on board" incentive or am I misunderstanding that older booking would also be getting an additonal credit?

It might be adjusted after March 31st, or, for earlier departures, 72 hours before that departure? I trust HAL to adjust.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, suec12 said:

It is my understanding that if we sail, we will get an additional OBC? 

"As a thank you to currently booked guests who join us for their cruise as planned, up to and including departures through May 31, 2020, we will provide an Onboard Credit of US$200 per stateroom/US$100 per person for voyages longer than 7 days and US$100 per stateroom/US$50 per person for voyages less than 6 days. This credit will be automatically applied to each eligible booking so you do not need to take any action." 

(You in the above instance refers to a TA)   That said, did you book through HAL directly or via TA?  Only HAL-booked cruises will show OBC via hollandamerica.com.  Your TA will be able to see the applied OBC in POLAR, and will be able to confirm.     Scott. 

Edited by YXU AC*SE
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, suec12 said:

We see an additional $100 for the first and second passenger but nothing for the third passenger in a cabin.   I always find the $200 per cabin/$100 per passenger misleading as why should we automatically assume this caps in HAL's favor (presumably for single passengers).  Every passenger including the third and fourth is making a choice in cruising at this time.