Cancelling Cruises because of the C word

davemorton

On an earlier post someone mentioned that possibly we were " overreacting" and in no way am I suggesting that the Coronovirus hasn't the potential to become a massive global killer BUT in 2009 we had to deal with the swine flu which globally killed up 203,000 people ….138 deaths in England with 540,00 displaying symptoms. At that time I just don't remember all of this " chatter"....we just seemed to carry on. In 2009 I was at the point of booking our  first cruise but didn't have the uncertainty of should we wait....should we book....we just booked

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

I have, but unfortunately:

But Harry the info is that it's not Covid19 that kills, rather the resultant pneumonia that it can lead to, so the pneumonia jab should provide some measure of protection.

1 hour ago, janny444 said:

large group gatherings"

Although it could be argued that such gatherings would apply only to things such as sports events, large concerts etc, and would not apply to hotels,  cruises etc.

1 hour ago, Tablelamp said:

I am embarking Aurora 17th May and my balance is paid.  Is anybody else booked on this cruise.

can anybody tell me how we stand about refunds should the foreign office discourage unnecessary travel. I don’t wish to lose my money but neither do I want to put myself in an unnecessary risk situation. Coming from the Channel Islands I have already paid for my flights to and from Southampton.  

On two occasions PandO have cancelled booked cruises.  Both within the last 18 months.  First one we had only paid the deposit (Oceana, Dubai fly cruise cancelled due to political situation but FCO had not advised against travel at that time).  Second one we had fully paid (Ventura, cancelled due to ship being stuck in Tenerife for 5 days due to technical issues - we were actually on board at the time!).

All monies were refunded.  Additionally we had made independant non-refundable bookings in connections with both cruises (hotel re Oceana and museum tickets re Ventura).  Both were fully refunded after emailing and Facebooking PandO.

Like I said, these cruises were cancelled by PandO.  

10 hours ago, happy v said:

Yes, I am. After some of the comments on here the other day I had sore eyes reading our policy from end to end. It states in the event of an epidemic and quarantine we would be covered for all costs including accommodation and travel.

So if one of us is taken from the ship the other will wait with them until they can travel again.

We're having to renew our policy this year, and believe me I will be doing a very thorough read from the top of the first page to the very end. No matter how long it takes. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, posford said:

Sorry to dampen your day happy v. But the partner would not be able to wait with the patient. That is my original point.  You would be quarantined on the ship.

Not after the Diamond Princess fiasco.

28 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

But Harry the info is that it's not Covid19 that kills, rather the resultant pneumonia that it can lead to, so the pneumonia jab should provide some measure of protection.

Sadly, the pneumonia brought on by Covid-19 is viral pneumonia. The protection provided by the pneumococcal vaccine is only against bacterial pneumonia. The two are entirely different.

Still worth getting the pneumococcal vaccine, but it's no good for this.

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

The type of pneumonia that is brought on by Covid 19 is caused by the virus, so no protection is given by the Pneumonia vaccine.

I have been dipping in and out of this thread with interest, but have not had a chance to read it all.

In response to the original question as to whether we want to cancel, our current answer is No.  We are a family of 4 travelling on Ventura on 4th April to the Canaries.  We have a Deluxe Balcony booked so have plenty of space, our decision may have been different had we been in an Inside.  We are all in good health.

We don't mind if our ports change or we end up with more sea days, we have cruised extensively up and down this route - France, Portugal, Spain, Madeira, Canaries, and will be happy to explore whichever ports we end up docking in.  In fact I hope P&O will avoid any ports where there are high levels of contagion.

This is an expensive trip for us, 4 people, 2 weeks, school holidays - approx £5k.  We of course do not want to lose this money and would work hard to get it back from P&O or our insurer if a scenario stopped us going, or there was a major issue whilst on board.  We would not look for compensation for a changed itinerary.

These however are our thoughts as of today.  Much could of course change over the coming month.  I will post if we do change our mind.  If we do choose to cancel at the last minute at a financial loss we would be upset but move on, this money is already spent, was disposable income, and would not impact our future.  Losing one holiday is much much less important to us than our health.  If P&O cancel we would happily book a cruise again with them at a later, safer, time.

We also have a cruise on Iona booked for next year, we have no worries at all about that one at this stage, far to far off.

Wishing everyone a safe and happy cruise who travels over this worrying time, and understand every family is different so appreciate many will cancel even though that is a different decision to ours at this time.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, annarack said:

I have been dipping in and out of this thread with interest, but have not had a chance to read it all.

In response to the original question as to whether we want to cancel, our current answer is No.  We are a family of 4 travelling on Ventura on 4th April to the Canaries.  We have a Deluxe Balcony booked so have plenty of space, our decision may have been different had we been in an Inside.  We are all in good health.

We don't mind if our ports change or we end up with more sea days, we have cruised extensively up and down this route - France, Portugal, Spain, Madeira, Canaries, and will be happy to explore whichever ports we end up docking in.  In fact I hope P&O will avoid any ports where there are high levels of contagion.

This is an expensive trip for us, 4 people, 2 weeks, school holidays - approx £5k.  We of course do not want to lose this money and would work hard to get it back from P&O or our insurer if a scenario stopped us going, or there was a major issue whilst on board.  We would not look for compensation for a changed itinerary.

These however are our thoughts as of today.  Much could of course change over the coming month.  I will post if we do change our mind.  If we do choose to cancel at the last minute at a financial loss we would be upset but move on, this money is already spent, was disposable income, and would not impact our future.  Losing one holiday is much much less important to us than our health.  If P&O cancel we would happily book a cruise again with them at a later, safer, time.

We also have a cruise on Iona booked for next year, we have no worries at all about that one at this stage, far to far off.

Wishing everyone a safe and happy cruise who travels over this worrying time, and understand every family is different so appreciate many will cancel even though that is a different decision to ours at this time.

I hear what you say, but I’d just love to learn how you manage to book a deluxe balcony at £5000 for 4 people for a 2 week cruise. Never happens to me. 

• Like 1

This statement yesterday from Viking may be of interest

Coronavirus Update, March 2, 2020

A note to guests with a current reservation and future Viking guests,

As you undoubtedly know, the coronavirus COVID-19 is causing concern in the general public and among those of us engaged in travel. At Viking, the safety and security of our guests and employees has always been our top priority. We have implemented enhanced health screening procedures for all guests and staff before boarding our vessels and everyone is required to complete a health care questionnaire before embarkation. We continue to reiterate the importance of individual hygiene, sanitizing and washing of hands.

We are monitoring the COVID-19 situation closely and are aware of the travel advisories issued by the Foreign & Commonwealth Office in the UK, in addition to updates from public health authorities including the World Health Organization.

This is a situation that can change from day to day, and we can well understand that the decision of whether or not to travel may be weighing on your mind – particularly for those with imminent departures.

In view of this we are for the time being making a temporary exception to our cancellation policy so that you can be free to postpone your cruise at any time up until 24 hours before the planned departure, without incurring any cancellation fees. You will be issued a voucher for future travel valid for 24 months, which can be used on any Viking product (river, ocean or expedition). This temporary exception to our standard cancellation policy is applicable for all guests who currently have a reservation with Viking and for all new reservations made through April 30, 2020.

The temporary exception to our cancellation policy is as follows:

• Notification of your intent to postpone your current cruise must be received as follows:
    • If you have flights arranged by Viking, it must be received at least 24 hours prior to the time of flight’s departure.
    • If you have arranged your own flights, it must be received at least 24 hours prior to the time of embarkation of the cruise or your hotel check-in, whichever is first.
  • Cancelled reservations will be reimbursed in the form of a Future Cruise Voucher in the amount of 100% of all funds paid to Viking.
  • Future Cruise Vouchers may be used toward any future river, ocean or expedition cruise with Viking and will be valid for 24 months from issuance.

If you have any questions, please contact your Travel Advisor or Viking at 0800 319 66 60, Monday through Friday 9:00 AM - 7:00 PM, Saturday 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM, Sunday 10:00 AM - 4:00 PM, and Bank Holiday 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM.

We hope you will choose to join us as planned. We will continue to update you on any changes in itineraries or circumstance that may be relevant. In the meantime, we hope that this temporary exception to our policy will help put your mind to ease.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, staygulf said:

I hear what you say, but I’d just love to learn how you manage to book a deluxe balcony at £5000 for 4 people for a 2 week cruise. Never happens to me. 

Thanks.  We booked in April 2019, so a year in advance, which I know many say is an expensive time, so we were lucky I guess.  £1749 for adults, £749 for kids.  £260 OBC. 

Seemed expensive to us at the time!

• Like 1

Hello, my first time posting but certainly not my first cruise.....

We are off April on the P&O  Oceana from Malta to celebrate my husbands 70th birthday with my daughter son-in-law & 2 granddaughters. We have discussed constantly & agree NOT going to cancel  we are all extremely healthy and aware to constantly keep hands cleaned and be aware of others around us. 

We too are lucky enough to have balcony cabins so agree that helps, and agree we are monitoring whats being said and taking every precaution so if we are advised to cancel we will, and hope and pray we get out money back as this was very expensive! As every holiday is!! 
I'm sure we will have a new itinerary but as yet not heard anything - so its a case of wait and see! 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, annarack said:

Thanks.  We booked in April 2019, so a year in advance, which I know many say is an expensive time, so we were lucky I guess.  £1749 for adults, £749 for kids.  £260 OBC. 

Seemed expensive to us at the time!

Sorry, I assumed it was 4 adults. We are booked to travel (4 adults) on Ventura on 20 April but I don’t reckon we’ll go. It’s looking far to risky especially if you have compromised health issues. 

3 minutes ago, staygulf said:

Sorry, I assumed it was 4 adults. We are booked to travel (4 adults) on Ventura on 20 April but I don’t reckon we’ll go. It’s looking far to risky especially if you have compromised health issues. 

We're off to the Canaries on Arcadia on Easter Sunday.  We have absolutely no intention of cancelling.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, staygulf said:

Lucky you. You must be under 65 and in good health then. Enjoy it. 

No, just over and just under 70. 

Too much panic and scaremongering going on, aided and abetted by social media.

I'm not going to start living my life  in a bubble,  frightened to go out. 

I would add, that I do understand that people with pre-existing conditions will, quite rightly, have a different approach.  

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

We are due to go to The Baltics on Arcadia in July and final payment is approaching rapidly (booked via TA so have earlier final payment date). OH is always a 'It won't happen to me' person but will be 70 this year and has suffered from asthma (well managed) for decades, so I am more worried about him than myself. The current plan is to pay in full and just hope that things are much clearer by July!

8 minutes ago, staygulf said:

Lucky you. You must be under 65 and in good health then. Enjoy it. 

I'm 72 but thankfully in good general health. I intend to go on my Ventura cruise as planned unless prevented from doing so by events outside my control.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, wowzz said:

No, just over and just under 70. 

Too much panic and scaremongering going on, aided and abetted by social media.

I'm not going to start living my life  in a bubble,  frightened to go out. 

I would add, that I do understand that people with pre-existing conditions will, quite rightly, have a different approach.  

Well we agree 

• Like 2

As well as seeking clarification direct from P&O about how they would treat passengers denied boarding because they failed the medical questionnaire or had signs of a fever, I also asked our TA to check with them, she provided the following reply.

P&O have advised me that denied boarding is looked at on a case by case basis and if you were denied boarding due to the coronavirus then they would very likely refund you for your cruise.

She also provided the following comment from their current experiences.

The cruise operators have been very good and very fair up to now for all passengers affected by the coronavirus outbreak.

This does give a more positive slant on P&Os standard reply, and now just leaves us with concerns about what might happen if a passenger subsequently fall ill with suspected Covid19, let's hope it doesn't happen on any of the cruises planned by forum members. 

• Like 3