What if CELEBRITY cancels?

Bruin Steve

Okay...there is a lot of talk about Celebrity's policy if YOU cancel your cruise...up to 48 hours prior, etc.

BUT, what if Celebrity is the one to cancel the cruise?  What happens then...what will they do for you?

Okay...As of RIGHT NOW, I have back to back bookings on Infinity--July 5 and July 12--Rome to Venice, Venice to Rome...We've had the things booked for about a year...We put down deposits on these cruises and Celebrity has had that money for a long time.  We've also purchased a little over $100 in shore excursions and specialty restaurants above and beyond our OBC.

As of right now, Celebrity has told us nothing.  They haven't canceled either cruise...or changed either itinerary...but as this whole crisis moves along, it seems less and less likely that these cruises will actually take place.  Up until the past few days, I've assumed they'd move the ship and revamp the itinerary...So, instead of what we were supposed to do, we'd end up cruising out of Barcelona or Istanbul or Athens or Southampton...and we'd go to different ports...Of course, that cruise would bear little resemblance to what we signed up for, but we'd clearly consider it--because we really need a vacation...

And I could understand why Celebrity wasn't in a hurry to announce anything...they are undoubtedly clueless about the state of things four months from now...

But, right now, there is all of this talk of various ports and countries completely shutting down--not allowing cruise ships to dock at all.  If things continue in this direction, it's entirely possible they won't be able to offer ANY cruises by July.  HOWEVER, our final payment due dates are approaching rapidly...and they still expect us to fork over several thousand dollars?

Now we've seen the moving target policy on US canceling:  Maybe partial refund, maybe future cruise credit.  But, if THEY cancel the cruise, then it is not us canceling, not us defaulting on the contract.  It would be either THEM in default, or, at best, impossibility of performance.  Theoretically, they would have to provide an immediate full refund...

BUT, what ARE they doing?  Have they canceled any full cruises yet?  If so, what have they offered the customers?  And, for anyone whose final payment has come due recently, has there been any concession there?  It is sort of hard to imagine paying out major money to cover a cruise that the cruise line may have no present intention to provide.  OR, do the cruise lines expect the pandemic to be suddenly over or the ports involved (like, in my case, the entire country of Italy) to change direction and look to welcome the ships and tourists within the next four months?

Heck, I still have my air reservations (via Celebrity Air, so also subject to payment within the next month) to fly into MILAN on June 25 and out of Rome after the second leg...

And, when I get some idea of what is happening, I'll have the additional task of undoing six pre- and post-cruise hotel reservations (one is unfortunately pre-paid--but in Northern Italy), a pre-paid car rental deal out of Milan to be returned in Civitavecchia, a private tour in one of the ports and private transfers Civitavecchia to Rome and Rome to FCO post cruise...It's going to be a lot of work to undo everything...and I am dreading fighting with people to recover those pre-paid sums (which I haven't done yet because my arguments change based on the actual reasons for cancellation).

It sure would be nice if Celebrity would clue us in on what they plan on doing...and do it soon--BEFORE they come looking for that final payment...

• Like 2

Actually they have cancelled some cruises.    Constellation ended their India cruise early and then cancelled the next two cruises.     I posted the letter received from friends on the Cancelled April 1 Dubai to Rome Cruise. 

They were given a full refund plus a 25% FCC.   They will also be reimbursed up to $300 for changes to Air.   If air booked via Choice Air they were given full refund of air.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Bruin Steve said:

Okay...there is a lot of talk about Celebrity's policy if YOU cancel your cruise...up to 48 hours prior, etc.

BUT, what if Celebrity is the one to cancel the cruise?  What happens then...what will they do for you?

Okay...As of RIGHT NOW, I have back to back bookings on Infinity--July 5 and July 12--Rome to Venice, Venice to Rome...We've had the things booked for about a year...We put down deposits on these cruises and Celebrity has had that money for a long time.  We've also purchased a little over $100 in shore excursions and specialty restaurants above and beyond our OBC.

As of right now, Celebrity has told us nothing.  They haven't canceled either cruise...or changed either itinerary...but as this whole crisis moves along, it seems less and less likely that these cruises will actually take place.  Up until the past few days, I've assumed they'd move the ship and revamp the itinerary...So, instead of what we were supposed to do, we'd end up cruising out of Barcelona or Istanbul or Athens or Southampton...and we'd go to different ports...Of course, that cruise would bear little resemblance to what we signed up for, but we'd clearly consider it--because we really need a vacation...

And I could understand why Celebrity wasn't in a hurry to announce anything...they are undoubtedly clueless about the state of things four months from now...

But, right now, there is all of this talk of various ports and countries completely shutting down--not allowing cruise ships to dock at all.  If things continue in this direction, it's entirely possible they won't be able to offer ANY cruises by July.  HOWEVER, our final payment due dates are approaching rapidly...and they still expect us to fork over several thousand dollars?

Now we've seen the moving target policy on US canceling:  Maybe partial refund, maybe future cruise credit.  But, if THEY cancel the cruise, then it is not us canceling, not us defaulting on the contract.  It would be either THEM in default, or, at best, impossibility of performance.  Theoretically, they would have to provide an immediate full refund...

BUT, what ARE they doing?  Have they canceled any full cruises yet?  If so, what have they offered the customers?  And, for anyone whose final payment has come due recently, has there been any concession there?  It is sort of hard to imagine paying out major money to cover a cruise that the cruise line may have no present intention to provide.  OR, do the cruise lines expect the pandemic to be suddenly over or the ports involved (like, in my case, the entire country of Italy) to change direction and look to welcome the ships and tourists within the next four months?

Heck, I still have my air reservations (via Celebrity Air, so also subject to payment within the next month) to fly into MILAN on June 25 and out of Rome after the second leg...

And, when I get some idea of what is happening, I'll have the additional task of undoing six pre- and post-cruise hotel reservations (one is unfortunately pre-paid--but in Northern Italy), a pre-paid car rental deal out of Milan to be returned in Civitavecchia, a private tour in one of the ports and private transfers Civitavecchia to Rome and Rome to FCO post cruise...It's going to be a lot of work to undo everything...and I am dreading fighting with people to recover those pre-paid sums (which I haven't done yet because my arguments change based on the actual reasons for cancellation).

It sure would be nice if Celebrity would clue us in on what they plan on doing...and do it soon--BEFORE they come looking for that final payment...

I bet Celebrity would like to know the situation in the future as well.  Pretty simple if no quarantine and ports all open they sail as scheduled. If not they move to change ports. Substitutuon of Athens for Some appears to be a possibility.

• Like 4

I appreciate this question -- been wondering myself.  Currently booked on April 30 Alaska RT Seattle.  I still very much want to go (got a great price on a Royal Suite). BUT -- if for whatever reason Celebrity has to cancel, I would hope that I would get a full REFUND instead of FCC (to give me more flexibility if/when i re-book a trip)

• Like 2

As many of us have to travel for over a day to get to the Med cruises, I can only hope that Celebrity cancels at such a time for me not to waste several thousands of dollars getting to a cruise ship that is no longer cruising. A FCC is not acceptable if Celebrity cancels. I am already booked on non Celebrity ships for the year 2021. 

From the roll calls, our cruise that departs from Rome return now seems to have a port placement in Athens for embarkation and disembarkation. Additionally there is a port stop in Athens. Presumably Malta will refuse one port, the other ports are Italian places.  This is not an itinerary I would ever consider - its basically a tour of a couple of Greek ports.  Santorini is spendid, Katakolon not so much having been there, and Mykonos.  And thats it for an 11 night cruise! 

Edited by Pushka
  • Like 2

When you book a cruise with a cruise line, you essentially enter a contract with them. There are expectations laid out for both the cruise operator and the passenger.

These expectations are that you will cruise in the room that you have reserved and held from other guests booking. This is why they have a cancellation policy with increasing penalties for cancelling as you get closer to the sailing date. This is what the cruise line expects from you. I think they have done a great job with the Cruise With Confidence in allowing some flexibility due to the current situation.

That said, on your end you can expect to be provided a cruise vacation on the vessel booked in exchange for the funds you pay. If Celebrity cannot provide this for any reason you are owed a full refund. In most cases this will be offered with several other good will gestures such as FCC and compensation for flight changes etc. Because of this they will have to refund you in full if they cancel. Therefore it is in the best interest of the cruise line to wait this out and only make decisions when information about your precise sailing date is available. 

Hang tight, they will make all changes necessary to ensure you have a safe and enjoyable cruise vacation, but cancelling is a last resort and likely wont happen too far in advance without major changes in the current situation.

• Like 6

Here is the text from the Celebrity Ticket Contract.  Although not entirely clear to me, it appears that Celebrity reserves the right to cancel, without refund, unless the cancellation is due to mechanical failure.

6. CANCELLATION, DEVIATION OR SUBSTITUTION BY CARRIER:

a) Carrier may for any reason at any time and without prior notice, cancel, advance, postpone
or deviate from any scheduled sailing, port of call, destination, lodging or any activity on or off the Vessel, or substitute another vessel or port of call, destination, lodging or activity. Except as provided in Section 6(e) below, Carrier shall not be liable for any claim whatsoever by Passenger, including but not limited to loss, compensation or refund, by reason of such cancellation, advancement, postponement, substitution or deviation.
b) In connection with a CruiseTour, Carrier has the same right to cancel, advance, postpone or deviate from any scheduled activity, departure or destination, or substitute another railcar, bus, destination or lodging or other component of the CruiseTour. Except as provided in Section 6(e) below, Carrier shall not be liable for any claim by Passenger whatsoever, including but not limited to loss, compensation or refund, by reason of such cancellation, advancement, postponement, substitution or deviation.
c) By way of example, and not limitation, Carrier may, without liability; (except as provided in Section 6(e) with respect to mechanical failures only), deviate from any scheduled sailing and may otherwise land Passenger and her property at any port if Carrier believes that the voyage or any Passenger or property may be hindered or adversely affected as a result of hostilities, blockages, prevailing weather conditions, labor conflicts, strikes onboard or ashore, breakdown of Vessel, congestion, docking difficulties, medical or life saving emergencies or any other cause whatsoever. d) Carrier shall have the right to comply with any orders, recommendations, or directions whatsoever given by any governmental entity or by persons purporting to act with such authority and such compliance shall not be deemed a breach of this Agreement entitling the Passenger to assert any claim for liability, compensation or refund.
e) In the event that a Cruise (or the cruise component of a CruiseTour) is canceled or terminated early due to mechanical failures:
i) Passenger shall have a right to a full refund of the Cruise Fare if the Cruise is canceled in full, or a partial refund if the cruise is terminated early;
ii) Carrier may cover or reimburse Passenger for additional costs (e.g. airline change fees) as deemed appropriate by the Carrier .
iii) If the passenger has travelled to the Vessel Passenger shall have a right to transportation (by means selected by the Carrier to the Vessel’s scheduled port of disembarkation or the Passenger’s home city; and
iv) Passenger shall have a right to lodging (selected by the Cruise Line) if disembarkation and an overnight stay in an unscheduled port are required due to the Cruise or cruise component of a CruiseTour being cancelled or terminated early because of such mechanical failures.

@Bruin Steve 

I am (Hopefully) on your June 12 sailing.  I feel the reason there is no info is because things are changing day by day.  I plan to wait it out.

there is no point of them hastily canceling all sailings when this is such a fluid situation.

stressful for those of us booked?  Yes, absolutely.  However, there is no way to know what the situation will be three months from now.   I remain optimistic.

oops, I see you are in July.  I am on the June 12 Rome to Venice so I’ll let you know haha

Edited by mic123
Mistake on dates

@Bruin Steve,

Here is the letter that Celebrity has posted on their website regarding the Apr 1 Constellation cancellation.

March 8, 2020

Dear Guest,

We have some urgent information to provide regarding your upcoming Dubai, Suez Canal & Greece cruise aboard Celebrity Constellation®

As we monitor global developments related to the coronavirus, our priority remains the health and safety of our guests and crew, as well as providing amazing vacation experiences. Each morning our executive team reviews daily updates from the CDC and WHO regarding the situation.

In addition to India closing all ports, we have just learned that the UAE is no longer allowing entry to cruise ships. We have therefore made the difficult decision to cancel the Constellation voyage of 4/1/20. Up until today we did not intend to cancel this voyage, however, in an abundance of caution we feel this is the best decision for the health and safety of all. This decision was not made lightly as we value your vacation time and want to ensure you have the best experience possible on a Celebrity Cruise.

In order to compensate you for this cancellation, all booked guests will receive a full refund to their original method of payment and a 25% Future Cruise Credit (FCC).

If you pre-booked any shore excursions through Celebrity Cruises, you’ll receive a full refund to the original form of payment. Guests with independent arrangements should contact their tour operators as soon as possible. If you pre-purchased any beverage, internet, specialty dining or other onboard packages, you will also receive a full refund to your original form of payment.

Guests with air travel and hotel booked through Flights by Celebrity will be refunded automatically. Guests with independent air arrangements need to contact their air carriers directly to make all required cancellations. For any airline flight change fees incurred, you may receive up to $300 per person reimbursement. In order to receive reimbursement, you must send us a copy of the air change fees assessed. Please email to, celebrityengagementcenter@celebrity.com

We know how important your vacation time is and we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience of this cancellation. Your safety and well-being are our highest priority. We hope to welcome you aboard soon for an amazing Celebrity Cruise vacation.

Sincerely,

Celebrity Cruises

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

These are the terms on the Australian site - in short, they have to refund if they cancel or amend the cruise significantly

https://www.celebritycruises.com/au/terms-and-conditions

Occasionally, we have to make changes to and correct errors in the brochure and other details both before, and after, bookings have been confirmed and, even more rarely, cancel confirmed bookings. Whilst we always endeavour to avoid changes and cancellations, we reserve the right to do so. If we have to make a significant change or cancel, we will tell you as soon as possible. If there is time to do so before departure, we will offer you the choice of the following options for significant changes:

(a) accepting the changed arrangements, or

(b) purchasing an alternative holiday from us, of a similar standard to that originally booked if available. We will offer you at least one alternative holiday of equivalent or higher standard for which you will not be asked to pay any more than the price of the original holiday. If this holiday is in fact cheaper than the original one, we will refund the price difference. If you do not wish to accept the holiday we specifically offer you, you may choose any of our other available holidays. The price of any such holiday shall be applicable. This will mean you will pay more if it is more expensive or receive a refund if it is cheaper than your original holiday.

(c) cancelling or accepting the cancellation in which case you will receive a full refund of all monies you have paid to us.

Please note, the above options are not available where any changes made are minor or insignificant.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

No cancelling of full cruises at this point.

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Actually they have cancelled some cruises.    Constellation ended their India cruise early and then cancelled the next two cruises.     I posted the letter received from friends on the Cancelled April 1 Dubai to Rome Cruise. 

Considering Millennium is coming to Seattle late April for 2 previously unscheduled 5 night PWN cruises, I'm pretty sure Millennium had at least 1 canceled cruise as well.  

58 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

Considering Millennium is coming to Seattle late April for 2 previously unscheduled 5 night PWN cruises, I'm pretty sure Millennium had at least 1 canceled cruise as well.  

In February, Celebrity canceled the rest of Millennium's 2020 winter/spring season in Asia. This included cruises departing February 15 and 29, March 14 and 28, April 10 and 21 and May 10. 

3 hours ago, sherylc said:

I appreciate this question -- been wondering myself.  Currently booked on April 30 Alaska RT Seattle.  I still very much want to go (got a great price on a Royal Suite). BUT -- if for whatever reason Celebrity has to cancel, I would hope that I would get a full REFUND instead of FCC (to give me more flexibility if/when i re-book a trip)

We are booked on this cruise too and are just taking it day by day wondering if we will get to fly into Seattle and get onboard.  We also got a great rate and upgrade to Aqua (we've never stayed in that class).  Looking at future cruises, the prices are double and almost triple what we paid.  I guess it's just a wait and see thing.  I'm on these boards and Celebrity.com constantly trying to keep up with the latest info.  Am so looking forward to our first Aqua suite and a 11 day itinerary. We did a seven day from Vancouver 13 years ago and have wanted to return since then.  Sigh.  I feel for all the affected people, but just wish I'd wake up and this would all go away.

I think the first clue will be if they send the ships over for the European season. At that point they may cancel the whole season or just delay for a month or so. With the travel ban from Europe in place for 30 days it should be lifted by the time of the crossings mid to late April. I wish Celebrity would delay further the final payment window. The FCC would not cover the same cruise for next year. We would have to pay around £900 more

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, sgmn said:

I think the first clue will be if they send the ships over for the European season. At that point they may cancel the whole season or just delay for a month or so. With the travel ban from Europe in place for 30 days it should be lifted by the time of the crossings mid to late April. I wish Celebrity would delay further the final payment window. The FCC would not cover the same cruise for next year. We would have to pay around £900 more

Given the experience in China, I can't see anything being lifted until end of May. It is just starting in the US and there will be weeks of turmoil so loosening the restrictions won't be a priority. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, hslauren said:

Well...Trump just declared a 30 day travel ban to Europe, so I guess we're about to find out! 

There is a ban on travel from Schengen zone to US but I do not hear of ban on travel from US to these countries?

• Like 1

There is NO WAY to know what is going to be going on in June-July.  If the cruise lines shut down now for 30-60 days, that only brings us into May.  I don't think they will make any decisions past May any time soon. We could have a handle on this thing in 60 days.

I have a July 2 sailing, already paid.  I'm not cancelling.  If they cancel the sailing, I'll just change it to  something later in the year, or next year.  I'm not looking for a refund at this point. But I don't expect to hear anything definitely 'til probably May.

• Like 1

We are sitting in Satiago, Chile planning to board the Eclipse on Sunday. Santiago yo San Diego. With Princess cancelling operations for 60 days, we are watching what Celebrity does. Fortunately South America has not been hit as bad as other countries , yet. Does anyone know what the airlines are doing about cancellations? We have a flight out of San Diego to Florida. Haven’t had to cancel flights before!

• Like 1