Crew member post from an hour ago on RCI facebook

As to the 70+ doctor note-I am in that group and received a TEXT from RCCL last night at 8:00 telling me to check my email for an important message concerning my April 5 cruise.  The email was concerning  having to get a doctor note (which most doctors would not sign as it would open them to possible liability) and telling me that if I could not comply, I should "immediately" call and cancel my cruise and receive future cruise credits.  Since I can cancel and receive those credits up until April 2, why do I have to do it "immediately" when they are already being bombarded with calls?  A cynical person MIGHT think that they want to give out credits instead of a refund, which could happen anytime now since a National Health Emergency is supposed to be declared this afternoon by the president, if he can accurately read a statement which has, hopefully, been written by someone with a grasp of the English language.  Just my opinion on why the 70+ policy was enacted.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, ticketsunlimited said:

If I read into the small conversation, it appears to be cast members on Ovation and Anthem.  Not sure how many it affects company wide.  It doesnt let me ask the question for some reason.

The person said they were boarding Saturday.  That would rule out Anthem

17 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

See post 14, 16 and 21.  Much of that information has been provided by looking at her Facebook profile. 

I looked at the RCI page and don't see a post so can't see her FB profile. I assumed (I know not good to do) from the title of the post that it was a ship crew member, not an entertainer. 

1 minute ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

I looked at the RCI page and don't see a post so can't see her FB profile. I assumed (I know not good to do) from the title of the post that it was a ship crew member, not an entertainer. 

I was able to find her post which is why I posted she was not a crew member but more likely an entertainer and appeared to be from the US 

This really probably won't help the cruise worker, but maybe it will help someone here.

Call your creditors as soon as it goes bad for you. I've already spoken to my mortgage holder, they said they will suspend one month with just a phone call, after that an interest only arrangement with the current situation will be approved. If a multiple month suspension is required then need will have to be demonstrated and paperwork will need to be done. Keep in mind my local bank holds a mortgage on my property not a huge brokerage firm.

Your bank doesn't want your house, if you do nothing though, the computer's take over and you end up foreclosed on. Same with your car, the bank or who ever holds the note doesn't want your car either.

Call the utilities also.

• Like 3

Good point Wampuscat7- we are to board Liberty on Sunday, 3/15/20, flying out of MSP tomorrow afternoon.

Thinking that there might be an email from Royal Caribbean after Trump declares a state of emergency canceling all cruises for 60 days like Princess did.

I like others are in a current wait and see mode 😳

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, HalfHand said:

This really probably won't help the cruise worker, but maybe it will help someone here.

Call your creditors as soon as it goes bad for you. I've already spoken to my mortgage holder, they said they will suspend one month with just a phone call, after that an interest only arrangement with the current situation will be approved. If a multiple month suspension is required then need will have to be demonstrated and paperwork will need to be done. Keep in mind my local bank holds a mortgage on my property not a huge brokerage firm.

Your bank doesn't want your house, if you do nothing though, the computer's take over and you end up foreclosed on. Same with your car, the bank or who ever holds the note doesn't want your car either.

Call the utilities also.

That's pretty standard with mortgage companies, even if there is no national emergency.  They will let you skip a month and tack it onto the end of your loan, still same # of payments, you just get to skip one.

Cruise lines should use the next 2 months to do a mini drydock/retrofit/refurb on their ships.  Re-allocate staff members to help out with the renovations in their respective departments to keep them employed & paid.  Compensate tipped staff for lost gratuities with meaningful work in their department.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ljmandelbaum said:

According to her response on her post, she was joining Anthem

image.png.fac25c6637f2bc1f3a7bff8f6c94c48a.png

The backstage tour entertainers last week did mention that a new crew is coming on board soon to replace them, though not sure all of them would be let go at once. She would have been getting ready in Miami to join the ship for the last two months and this probably is a pretty big blow for her. Publicly airing this issue may not be the best way to get your name our there for future gigs.

Edited by Biker19
  • Like 7

My boyfriend is crew on Allure - he notified me this morning that the dry dock had been cancelled for now. All the passengers got off in Barcelona this morning. Still no idea where they are going/ what they are doing with crew as of this moment... 

Edited by HLWiser

I believe her layoff is part of the "special project" layoffs royal announced on Wednesday.

If she is an entertainer makes sense they do not want to have them moving from ship to ship as normally done. 

More ports closing will also prevent them from moving entertainers around

To keep expenses down they probably figure they have their own in house entertainers on every ship.

A lot of Americans will be without paychecks in the near future if everything keeps shutting down.

2 of our local malls closed today as well as many other places including schools. Senior centers the list goes on and more will continue to close till this virus is under control.

Just stay well and be there to help those who should not go out.

1 hour ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

More info needed. Ship crew member? what position? what ship? 

Hi Sue, my friend’s daughter is activities crew onboard  currently on vacation, was due to do a fill in on Symphony in a couple of weeks then move to Brilliance for her full contract, everything cancelled til May, no wages , nothing and worst of all zero notice. 
Other crew members who are travelling in between contracts are stuck in parts of the world not their home and now will have to source a way to get back home until this all settles down and contracts are rescheduled . 
The world at the moment is a mess.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, mafig said:

If they are planning that, then why did they institute the 70 plus doctor's note?

That came out of the meeting between CLIA and government agencies.  My bet is the government wanted them to suspend cruises.  They begged to not and pointed out their financial doom if shut down.  CLIA countered with their plan if allowed to continue running ships.  The 70 year olds and doctors notes was one of CLIA's counter proposals.
Shutdowns of other non essential entertainment providers have since escalated.
We are close to the point where the rest of the remaining cruise lines are going to have to shut er down.  

43 minutes ago, NavyCruiser said:

Cruise lines should use the next 2 months to do a mini drydock/retrofit/refurb on their ships.  Re-allocate staff members to help out with the renovations in their respective departments to keep them employed & paid.  Compensate tipped staff for lost gratuities with meaningful work in their department.

And how do this?  A ship can't just pull to a drydock and say I want space.  Drydocks usually are booked months in advance.

While wet docks are more readily available,  you can't just show up and say I want to replace all of the carpets, bedding etc.  They have to pre-order the soft goods and have it staged at the dock.  I imagine this isn't a one or two week process, after being involved with contracting in a prior lifetime.

In addition, Royal has already announced that they are cancelling discretionary capital expenditures to conserve cash.  On another thread, someone reported that a ship was about ready (within days) to go in for an amplification and that has been put on hold.