HAL starting a 30 day global pause of operations

sailingdutchy

2 minutes ago, wyobean said:

I really hate to see people expecting extra for compensation in this situation. This is no one’s fault. I will be happy to get a FCC or refund...whatever they decide. I am just hoping they don’t have to declare bankruptcy...then you get nothing.

+1

A FCC is fine.....And I'm not calling to inquire......there will be future cruises to enjoy.

• Like 3

When we were on the Westerdam in Jan / Feb , Yes ! on the what the BBC called the "Pariah Ship "  when we were half way the first portion of our cruise they cancelled the second portion because no country wanted us . 

After we finally made land in Cambodia a few days testing and logistics and after a long flight  we saw when we arrived home that we already had received the refunds on our credit card and also a 100 % FCC for half of our first leg and a 50 % FCC for the cancelled second leg .

There were no phone calls necessary to Holland America !  Just a little patience ! 

Besides the 3 cruises mentioned by HAL I do not believe that on top of a Refund you will get a 100% FCC , I  am hoping for  50 % .

( BTW this is the first time in my life that the Credit card company owes me money and maybe for 2 or 3 months in a row , wonder how much interest they will be paying me ??? :classic_biggrin::classic_biggrin:

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, beachbrat said:

They failed to list Maasdam’s March 15th Papeete to San Diego cruise as cancelled! Many were en route to or already in Papeete!!! 

According to the blog, docking in Hilo, Hawaii.

1 hour ago, Copper10-8 said:

And with that, the 2020 GWV on Amsterdam will terminate on March 24 in Freemantle, Australia 

Yikes!  Can't imagine trying to get flights back home.

1 hour ago, sailingdutchy said:

When we were on the Westerdam in Jan / Feb , Yes ! on the what the BBC called the "Pariah Ship "  when we were half way the first portion of our cruise they cancelled the second portion because no country wanted us . 

After we finally made land in Cambodia a few days testing and logistics and after a long flight  we saw when we arrived home that we already had received the refunds on our credit card and also a 100 % FCC for half of our first leg and a 50 % FCC for the cancelled second leg .

There were no phone calls necessary to Holland America !  Just a little patience ! 

Besides the 3 cruises mentioned by HAL I do not believe that on top of a Refund you will get a 100% FCC , I  am hoping for  50 % .

( BTW this is the first time in my life that the Credit card company owes me money and maybe for 2 or 3 months in a row , wonder how much interest they will be paying me ??? :classic_biggrin::classic_biggrin:

I was also on the Westerdam with you, but I was also booked for a third leg, from 29 February to 14 April.  I received the same credit for the first two cruises on my credit card, but no mention of the third cruise.  Then on 26 February I received an email from HAL stating that I would receive a full refund for the third cruise, but in 2 to 3 weeks and no mention of any future cruise credit.  Not sure while that cruise is handled differently, as I paid for all three of them at the same time in December.

1 hour ago, knittinggirl said:

According to the blog, docking in Hilo, Hawaii.

Yikes!  Can't imagine trying to get flights back home.

No direct flights to the States for U.S. pax:

One stops via Doha, Dubai, Jakarta, Kuala Lumpur, Bangkok, Hong Kong, Singapore, Tokyo, Sydney, Auckland or LHR 

They all be long

2 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

One stops via Doha, Dubai, Jakarta, Kuala Lumpur, Bangkok, Hong Kong, Singapore, Tokyo, Sydney, Auckland or LHR 

They all be long

As someone who hails from Perth (aka Fremantle) now in California. I have flown thru Kuala Lumpur, Bangkok, Tokyo, Sydney, and Auckland in order to get to the US. I can earnestly report that they all suck.

5 hours ago, llgator said:

If we did a paid upgrade, will we keep that i wonder? Also we had a beverage package thrown in, not to mention the $200 on board credit. Will we keep those with our future cruise credits?

I'm pretty sure any perks ("thrown in", OBC) will evaporate. The amount you paid to upgrade will be totaled with your base rate for FCC and any percentage thereof.

I cancelled my 3/21 sailing, Monday, before the phones went useless. For once I am glad we outright bought our beverages and wifi; those amounts plus three SXs have been refunded to our credit card.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

They all be long

What happens to those passengers on the World Cruise that cannot or do not fly?  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BlackJack2 said:

On Kathy’s (Scrapnana) new thread announcing the cancellation, there are some passengers asking if they can stay on until FLL.  They say they will do dishes, etc. If need be.  I don’t know if that will be permitted or not.  If it were, I would think that is what the ship would have done to get the passengers home.

With the agreement to suspend cruising for 30 days, I would think there can be no passengers on board, sadly.

I have been looking up rentals in Perth for my parents. I know it sounds crazy, but as you expected to be away until May, could you stay there for a few months when, hopefully things will be in better order? There seemed to be some “reasonable” rates. 

39 minutes ago, kazu said:

On Kathy’s (Scrapnana) new thread announcing the cancellation, there are some passengers asking if they can stay on until FLL.  They say they will do dishes, etc. If need be.  I don’t know if that will be permitted or not.  If it were, I would think that is what the ship would have done to get the passengers home.

With the agreement to suspend cruising for 30 days, I would think there can be no passengers on board, sadly.

Agreed. And if the world cruise kept going while all others stopped it would look bad.

I look forward to rescheduling my 3/21 Nieuw Amsterdam cruise to warm weather.  Not looking for extras from HAL (though accepted if offered!), just looking to reschedule my fully paid cruise for which I was just about to start packing.  Already looking at itineraries for the fall and winter.  🙂

Still bummed, I was SO looking forward to being on the water again.

Thinking of the crews and the passengers still out there.

Safe cruising to all...when we can do it again.

2 hours ago, BlackJack2 said:

Is that common?

I would never think of going on a long cruise if I would not or could not fly. What if medical evacuation was needed?  What if the ship became incapacitated?  What if events at home were such that I needed to return quickly?

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Kindergirl said:

@cruisemom42 likely some people who don’t fly take cruises instead. We never imagined this would happen. Most times things work out for the best, so if the choice is staying home because you can’t fly to a destination, or taking a cruise to see the world, I’d have taken my chances.

I didn't mean to sound insensitive, merely interested as it would have never occurred to me to do so. I wish you well with your parents' dilemma and feel confident that a workable solution will emerge.

No, you didn’t sound insensitive.  It’s a valid question and I think it speaks to how comfortable we have become. Taking for granted that we can get home from the other side of the world used to be a no brainer. Times, they are a changin’.

so, my apologies back to you if I came off as brusque

1 hour ago, Kindergirl said:

I have been looking up rentals in Perth for my parents. I know it sounds crazy, but as you expected to be away until May, could you stay there for a few months when, hopefully things will be in better order? There seemed to be some “reasonable” rates. 

If getting home could be difficult, I can understand looking for a small furnished apartment or a hotel room with a kitchenette. That would be a way to ride it out there, at least for a while. This risk of not going home immediately is that it could become more difficult later before it gets better. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BlackJack2 said:

I do not know what will happen, but I have one suggestion: maybe a good travel agent can find them a freighter company with a ship going in the right direction and offering the possibility to carry a few extra passengers. Must admit that it a long time ago that I booked quite a few of those "passages".  https://www.freightercruises.com/   http://www.freighter-travel.com/travel-itineraries.html  Problem can be that passengers are not allowed off in ports too. (Hope you can continue your travels B&D, greetings, Lenny and Joost).

Edited by MAVIP
Problem can be etc
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Iris5383 said:

Stay safe, Everyone. Hope to see you on another Dam ship soon.

My first thought when I read that HAL is suspending operations and refunding fares: will cruise lines survive this virus financially?  During 9/11's aftermath, many passengers cancelled to the point that some cruise lines declared bankruptcy.  This time the cruise lines are halting business, so to speak, for the next 30 days.  In addition, they're returning financial capital.  How can any business survive a model like that?  Maybe some of you who have degrees in Economics can explain.  I pray that HAL has financial reserves to pull them through this crisis.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sevenseasnomad said:

My first thought when I read that HAL is suspending operations and refunding fares: will cruise lines survive this virus financially?  During 9/11's aftermath, many passengers cancelled to the point that some cruise lines declared bankruptcy.  This time the cruise lines are halting business, so to speak, for the next 30 days.  In addition, they're returning financial capital.  How can any business survive a model like that?  Maybe some of you who have degrees in Economics can explain.  I pray that HAL has financial reserves to pull them through this crisis.

One thing that MIGHT help is business interruption insurance.  I suspect that cruise lines have at least a limited amount of this.

• Like 1