Predict when cruising will start again post-Coronavirus

20 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Princess website has crashed again, and phone queues are over an hour.

Luckily I'm not trying to book a worldie, just a Hawaii/Tahiti run which I don't think books up quite as quickly on the Elite day.

Lots of FCC's and pent-up demand.😉 Good luck with your Hawaii booking. I used a planner for my bookings.

1 hour ago, By The Bay said:

Lots of FCC's and pent-up demand.😉 Good luck with your Hawaii booking. I used a planner for my bookings.

The booking is on hold now. I just have to phone them to get the FCCs applied as the deposit.

Last time I tried to contact my allocated anner, who I never requested, all I got was a message saying it was a public holiday in the US. Stuff that, if Princess wants me to use one of their planners they need to work in Aussie time!

• Like 1

I'm hoping and anticipating that a) vaccinations are mandatory for crew and passengers and b) restrictions onboard roughly match those in Australia generally. 

I'm imagining they'll continue many of the restrictions in this video such as 'checking-in' to different areas of the ship for contact tracing, booked seating for indoor venues, no more self-service bistro, and mandatory cleaning after use of surfaces and hand-cleaning

Royal Caribbean CRUISING NOW: Come onboard and take a look - YouTube

However I'd be surprised if you had to book outdoor areas, as that doesn't match Australian restrictions generally. Even an indoor pool is likely to just be capacity restricted with a swipe of your room card to enter. 

As for masks, I could easily see them being compulsory in theatres, lifts and other enclosed spaces, as well as reduced capacity. Several Australian states already do this for indoor venues so it wouldn't be unusual. 

There's a lot in that video that is what I call 'hygiene theatre' - actions performed to give a sense of security that don't really reduce the contagion risk. Covid is very much airborne spread, but there's an over-emphasis on surface cleaning and risk mitigation for example. Will be great to reduce other surface-borne pathogens like norovirus though!

49 minutes ago, adelaidefc said:

I'm hoping and anticipating that a) vaccinations are mandatory for crew and passengers and b) restrictions onboard roughly match those in Australia generally. 

I'm imagining they'll continue many of the restrictions in this video such as 'checking-in' to different areas of the ship for contact tracing, booked seating for indoor venues, no more self-service bistro, and mandatory cleaning after use of surfaces and hand-cleaning

Royal Caribbean CRUISING NOW: Come onboard and take a look - YouTube

However I'd be surprised if you had to book outdoor areas, as that doesn't match Australian restrictions generally. Even an indoor pool is likely to just be capacity restricted with a swipe of your room card to enter. 

As for masks, I could easily see them being compulsory in theatres, lifts and other enclosed spaces, as well as reduced capacity. Several Australian states already do this for indoor venues so it wouldn't be unusual. 

There's a lot in that video that is what I call 'hygiene theatre' - actions performed to give a sense of security that don't really reduce the contagion risk. Covid is very much airborne spread, but there's an over-emphasis on surface cleaning and risk mitigation for example. Will be great to reduce other surface-borne pathogens like norovirus though!

It’s 2 weeks tomorrow that the cruise ban comes up. 17 March 

We should expect some kind of a decision very soon, probably  this or next week.
Hopefuly they will give 2-3 ships a permit to do some trials for next season.

Edited by Chiliburn

1 hour ago, Chiliburn said:

I heard you have to book deck time around the pool. 
‘I think it was a hour at a time.

So much for grabbing a drink,going up to the pool  and listening to the band  at a whim.

Not for this little black duck, too many constraints. I suppose the sauna will be a booking job too, max of 1 or 2 people, not half a dozen. I like the ships sauna's, sweat the grog out so you can drink some more.🤣

At least the deck chair hogs might get turfed out after one hour, if staff have the guts to do it.

Edited by NSWP

22 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Not for this little black duck, too many constraints. I suppose the sauna will be a booking job too, max of 1 or 2 people, not half a dozen. I like the ships sauna's, sweat the grog out so you can drink some more.🤣

At least the deck chair hogs might get turfed out after one hour, if staff have the guts to do it.

I haven’t had anything thing to do with saunas?

I like to try and do a lap around the jogging track to give that feeling I’m looking after my self.

Come on uncle less , If Princess Captains Circle email you for a booze cruise.

I’m sure you wouldn’t even think about it.

You hand would be reaching for  that Princess lanyard.

17 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

I haven’t had anything thing to do with saunas?

I like to try and do a lap around the jogging track to give that feeling I’m looking after my self.

Come on uncle less , If Princess Captains Circle email you for a booze cruise.

I’m sure you wouldn’t even think about it.

You hand would be reaching for  that Princess lanyard.

I have no cruises booked mate. I am waiting in the wings for the right one to come along at a bargain price of $100 per day, solo. Like, if the world cruise on Coral Princess drops down from $600 a day to $100 a day for a solo like me, when all the non vaxxers have to cancel, lol. But I don't believe in fairies either. No booze cruises mate, bogans only on them, Princess should not operate them, strictly, P&O Straya, Carnival Cruise Line and Royal Caribbean, lol.

Edited by NSWP

46 minutes ago, NSWP said:

I have no cruises booked mate. I am waiting in the wings for the right one to come along at a bargain price of $100 per day, solo. Like, if the world cruise on Coral Princess drops down from $600 a day to $100 a day for a solo like me, when all the non vaxxers have to cancel, lol. But I don't believe in fairies either. No booze cruises mate, bogans only on them, Princess should not operate them, strictly, P&O Straya, Carnival Cruise Line and Royal Caribbean, lol.

Booze cruises are different, only be on two and everyone where more behaved than the average cruise.

The drunks uncle Les but all well behaved,no trouble.

The entertainment is above average and a real party.

If cruises start there won’t be any bargains.

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

You won't get a cruise for $100 per day, solo. 🙂

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

Didn't you know Les on any cruise there will be certain portion of the passengers who believe it is a Booze Cruise. Some cruise lines seem to have a higher ratio of them than others.

Lyle old son, having done about 2 dozen cruises on several lines, all over the world with various nationalities, I have seen the good, the bad and the ugly.  We met many nice Canadians on board the ships, mainly on Princess. Never saw a drunk Canadian, but by jove seen some flyblown Aussies and Poms.🍷🍻

Edited by NSWP
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Aus Traveller said:

You won't get a cruise for $100 per day, solo. 🙂

Only if I moved to Fort Lauderdale or Miami and get the standby deals like the North American get.

1 minute ago, NSWP said:

Only if I moved to Fort Lauderdale or Miami and get the standby deals like the North American get.

You never know what last minute deals will be available on cruises in Aust., which aren't sailing full, such as when borders are closed. 

5 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

You never know what last minute deals will be available on cruises in Aust., which aren't sailing full, such as when borders are closed. 

Exactly, being solo, I can go at 48 hrs notice, only need one suitcase. 

52 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

Emergency situation — border closure (include cruises) officially extended to 17 June.

I note the report I saw said this about cruise ships

-However, the government has expressed interest in “developing a framework” for cruise ship industries to resume in Australia sometime in the future.

Edited by Cruisegroover