Predict when cruising will start again post-Coronavirus

5 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

As far as I am concerned, this summer will mark the start of cruising. I really cant wait for cruising to start. The more news I read, the more hyped I become. I have already saved up enough for it 

Start changing to $AU Roger.LOL 

22 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Unusual for Carnival Corp to employ Koreans and Sri Lankans across their fleets. So why did they go there? Maintenance i reckon.

It just come out of dry dock in Singapore but maybe Singapore was to busy to do the work. Apparently they are flat out.

Hey, they didn’t even finish the paint job.

15 hours ago, Roger88 said:

I think cruising will most likely start somewhere in Asia, or Australia. I mean all those countries, island type countries are more likely to start it sooner cause their economy is dependent on this type of thing.. IMHO 

No, Australia is not dependent on Tourism, it is just a nice top up on the bankroll. Yes we are an Island, the biggest in the world, and in area we are just a teeny bit under the USA much to the surprise of many.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Russell21 said:

No, Australia is not dependent on Tourism, it is just a nice top up on the bankroll. Yes we are an Island, the biggest in the world, and in area we are just a teeny bit under the USA much to the surprise of many.

We were taught in school here in the great white north that Australia is a continent.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

We were taught in school here in the great white north that Australia is a continent.

Yes, it is, but it is often called an island continent.

Anyway it's bloody big. We spent three days driving and only crossed a small corner of it.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

22 hours ago, NSWP said:

Theatre bookings were never on Princess, first in best dressed and 2 performances a night. Nor on Cunard, HAL and P and O  UK, most of our cruises done with those lines.

Nor NCL, Royal or P&O Aus version

When my age group went to school we were taught that Australia is the smallest continent and also the world's largest island. In recent years, the definition seems to have changed. Maybe the powers-that-be in the world - whoever decides these things - feel that Australian can't have it both ways. We are now regarded as a continent, but not an island. Greenland is the world's largest island.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Russell21 said:

In Australia, tourism counts for about 9.5% of exports, 2% of GDP.  In NZ, it's closer to 20% or 6% of GDP.  So Australia's economy is predicted to bounce back more quickly, although that's not the case at the moment. While NZ will definitely feel the loss of tourists more than Aus we do have other strings in our bow.

Re picking up crew in Colombo.  Although cabin crew for Australian ships seem to be generally from Manila or Indonesia I think that mechanics and engine room crew may well be Indian or Sri Lankan.  Also see a lot of Italians below decks.  

I understand that when crew leave or join ships there something called a "Green Corridor" for them to safely travel along so that they possibly avoid some of the quarantines and only go to safe airports.

When ships were repatriating crew last year I think it was Carnival who sent a whole shipload of crew to India and another shipload to Italy from the USA, collected from various ships.  If you look at Marine Traffic you will often see that the ships have their tenders out going from one ship to another.

17 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Similar size to the US, about 2.3 million square kilometers smaller than Canada but we have the arctic and you have the outback.

I think Canada is a lot bigger the oz,isn’t it?

Hey ,NSW is about the same as Texas .

George bush senior said the closest thing to Texas in the world  is Australia. TRUE.

19 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

I think Canada is a lot bigger the oz,isn’t it?

Hey ,NSW is about the same as Texas .

George bush senior said the closest thing to Texas in the world  is Australia. TRUE.

Yes Australia is 2.3 million square km smaller than Canada. Texas is smaller than British Columbia but about the same size as our oil province Alberta.

Please don't compare Oz to Texas, I really would have to rethink my plan to visit Oz.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Yes Australia is 2.3 million square km smaller than Canada. Texas is smaller than British Columbia but about the same size as our oil province Alberta.

Please don't compare Oz to Texas, I really would have to rethink my plan to visit Oz.

You are from Victoria island Blackduck?  We went to Bowen Island a couple of years ago.  Quite lovely.  

5 minutes ago, onlyslightlymad said:

You are from Victoria island Blackduck?  We went to Bowen Island a couple of years ago.  Quite lovely.  

Victoria is the capital city of the province of British Columbia and is located on Vancouver Island. Bowen Island is across the Strait of Georgia from Vancouver Island. Bowen Island is significantly smaller than Vancouver Island. I have never actually visited Bowen Island but I'm sure I have motored past it a couple of times by boat.

2 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Victoria is the capital city of the province of British Columbia and is located on Vancouver Island. Bowen Island is across the Strait of Georgia from Vancouver Island. Bowen Island is significantly smaller than Vancouver Island. I have never actually visited Bowen Island but I'm sure I have motored past it a couple of times by boat.

I apologise for my lazy assumptions.  I did realise Bowen was only little though.  I would like to visit Victoria when it is open for business again.

1 minute ago, onlyslightlymad said:

I apologise for my lazy assumptions.  I did realise Bowen was only little though.  I would like to visit Victoria when it is open for business again.

Should you find yourself in my town let me know I'm happy to give the local scoop.

• Like 1

A couple of our Texan friends took us out for BBQ .

I was so hyped up about it . I’m sorry I wasn’t impressed.

Over cooked and tasteless.

The only sane person I found was a German expat who had a nazi smoke house.

8 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

A couple of our Texan friends took us out for BBQ .

I was so hyped up about it . I’m sorry I wasn’t impressed.

Over cooked and tasteless.

The only sane person I found was a German expat who had a nazi smoke house.

image.jpeg.d6000e9d746e26539478edcc5a1664e6.jpeg
@Blackduck59

Note the saddle seats 

Edited by Chiliburn

Saddle seats? Really?? There are few places saddles are appropriate...Horses, motorcycles and bicycles. Camels and Elephants too but I think they are called something else. I like to be comfortable when quaffing a pint and gnawing on ribs and saddles ain't it.

Edited by Blackduck59
  • Like 1