Predict when cruising will start again post-Coronavirus

9 hours ago, Rickster50 said:

Well we are booked for January, 2022 to the Antarctica. I'm guessing that will still be a goer!

Rick

It is probably safe to assume that a January 2022 cruise will be OK. Is your cruise an expedition one that lands on the continent, or is it a 'drive-bay' with scenic cruising?

5 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

It is probably safe to assume that a January 2022 cruise will be OK. Is your cruise an expedition one that lands on the continent, or is it a 'drive-bay' with scenic cruising?

Either method is awesome.

9 hours ago, Rickster50 said:

Well we are booked for January, 2022 to the Antarctica. I'm guessing that will still be a goer!

Rick

Nice cruise to look forward to.  Which ship?  Any cruise to Antarctica is a cruise of a lifetime.  January is peak season.

We did a cruise on Celebrity Infinity and it was awesome. We didn't have zodiacs for land fall there but we didn't want or need that type of experience to thoroughly enjoy what Antarctica has to offer. Beautiful scenery, wildlife galore and amazing colours despite most of them being close to white.

Guys/Gals,

We are booked on the Roald Amundsen (Hurtigruten Cruises) January 27, 2022 out of Santiago on an epic 18day'er. We have around 5 days in the Antarctic region.

Really looking forward to his one, should be absolutely awesome!

Rick

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Rickster50 said:

Rick

I would assume you are going from Argentina. The flights might be an interesting issue. Air NZ had expressed doubts about conducting long haul flights. Hopefully someone will pick up the route if Air NZ loses it otherwise it will be convoluted flight. 

Hope it goes as planned. we love cruising but flying is not a favourite even in business, long haul has its challenges.

We are looking forward to cruising again as soon as its again a safe option.

This means flying usually to get on a ship.

So much investment in travel feel sure the details will be sorted to enable travel again, but it will be different no doubt.

50 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

I would assume you are going from Argentina. The flights might be an interesting issue. Air NZ had expressed doubts about conducting long haul flights. Hopefully someone will pick up the route if Air NZ loses it otherwise it will be convoluted flight. 

Air NZ laid off 300 pilots this week and the remaining 900 took a 30% pay cut .🤭

We are booked on Princess Oct 2021 PNG cruise.  PNG only has 8 cases of Covid-19 so I am pretty confident by that time things will have been worked out.

There is a shorter PNG cruise in Jan 2021 which is also cheaper but goes to almost all the same ports and I would rather go on that one if the permissions are there for the cruise to proceed.

Can I bring forward an existing booking like that?  We were going to go to either Indonesia or Fiji this year which probably won't happen so we want to get a holiday in as soon as it is legally possible (preferably without 14 days hotel quarantine.  We don't mind 14 days at home quarantine or ankle bracelets as I will just pre-buy all the food we need for the return. 

1 hour ago, Tikibird said:

We are booked on Princess Oct 2021 PNG cruise.  PNG only has 8 cases of Covid-19 so I am pretty confident by that time things will have been worked out.

Just keep in mind that there almost certainly will not be a vaccine before the end of 2021. More likely 2022 or even 2023. The virus will not be exterminated until a working vaccine is available to everybody. So until then the virus will be floating around, hopefully at a low level depending on how future shutdowns work out. That means that in that period there will always be a risk of outbreak on any cruise.

As such travel insurance will not be covering covid-19 events. So you will be traveling without any such coverage.

There is a very good explanation of how the shutdowns work to keep the virus under control here. It shows that until there is a vaccine, shutdowns will need to keep being relaxed and reimposed to maintain the virus at a low enough level.

That is why the ships won't be coming back. There is no point if every few months restrictions have to be reimposed.

Edited by SinbadThePorter

7 hours ago, SinbadThePorter said:

almost certainly will not be a vaccine before the end of 2021. More likely 2022 or even 2023.

I think one will be earlier. It appears there is an existing protein used in vaccines that can kill the virus that is authorised for human use. The trick is to get the make up of the vaccine right. I believe some Israeli and European scientists have discovered this and was reported in some medical news. I am confident that if the news I read is correct then there will be a vaccine sooner rather than later.

Now the dust is starting to settle we need to kick start our economy and tourism is a big part of the economy.

Our governments need to work out a tourist friendly quarantine system for overseas visitors.

Instead of locking people in a hotel for 2 weeks ,develop a farmstay or a beach stay where people can move around. It could even alternate.

It’s probably hard for us locally to fill ships up and  It looks like ships will be mothballed and put into coldlays . 
When cruising starts locally we won’t have as many ships we had before until we get international visitors back.

Edited by Chiliburn

8 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

It’s probably had for us locally to fill ships up and  It looks like ships will be mothballed and put into coldlays . 

When cruising starts locally we won’t have as many ships we had before until we get international visitors back.

Probably had (sic)?

IMHO P&O Australia has had no problem filling their cruise ships in Australia without many overseas passengers.

Edited by By The Bay

P&O will fill their ships but there will be a few under capacity.

I think some of the ships advertised for next season just won’t be here and people will have to transfer their bookings to another ship under the brand.

I imagine the cruise lines will use the smaller ships in their fleets initially. P&O should be OK but they may delay bringing the "new" ship into play (the former Golden Princess). Carnival Spirit but not Splendor. Sea and Sun Princess, and maybe Sapphire Princess but not Majestic or Royal. Celebrity Solstice isn't too big but I doubt RCI would try to fill Ovation of the Seas, perhaps they'll bring Rhapsody back down here.

1 hour ago, Chiliburn said:

P&O will fill their ships but there will be a few under capacity.

I think some of the ships advertised for next season just won’t be here and people will have to transfer their bookings to another ship under the brand.

Good chance of a free upgrade?

26 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I imagine the cruise lines will use the smaller ships in their fleets initially. P&O should be OK but they may delay bringing the "new" ship into play (the former Golden Princess). Carnival Spirit but not Splendor. Sea and Sun Princess, and maybe Sapphire Princess but not Majestic or Royal. Celebrity Solstice isn't too big but I doubt RCI would try to fill Ovation of the Seas, perhaps they'll bring Rhapsody back down here.

The problem is that Australia isn't the only country in the world enforcing social distancing rules.  The CDC (via the CLIA) determine what health regulations are applied on these ships, and those regulations apply across the entire fleet.

It's all very well to suggest that Royal may send Rhapsody, but they only have 4x Vision Class ships and they have many markets they need to serve.

15 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Celebrity still has Eclipse (another solstice class ship) scheduled for service down under, starting I think in November she is supposed to home port in Melbourne. 

They may just restart with one ship. Celebrity cruises in this part of the world have a high percentage of overseas passengers and if they aren't able to come here then Celebrity may only homeport one ship again.

If they can’t fill the ship to a point it wouldn’t be financially viable.

30 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

the smaller ships are the oldest where the largest they have to pay off.

6 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

Good chance of a free upgrade?

when was your last free upgrade??

5 minutes ago, Vader1111 said:

The problem is that Australia isn't the only country in the world enforcing social distancing rules.  The CDC (via the CLIA) determine what health regulations are applied on these ships, and those regulations apply across the entire fleet.

It's all very well to suggest that Royal may send Rhapsody, but they only have 4x Vision Class ships and they have many markets they need to serve.

True and it will partly depend on timing. If our regular season can start up as usual then they only other area that is in full swing at that time of year is the Caribbean. I don't think northern hemisphere cruising will start until April/May next year. I think Australasia will be the "trial run" as long as our governments allow it to happen.

Just now, Vader1111 said:

The CDC (via the CLIA) determine what health regulations are applied on these ships, and those regulations apply across the entire fleet.

Is this fact or your understanding after reading the CDC policy?

I do not see them controlling cruise ships in Australian ports and waters. The CDC policy "provides guidance for cruise ship operations in any international, interstate, or intrastate waterways subject to the jurisdiction of the United States" Source CDC.

3 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

when was your last free upgrade??

I have received free upgrades from P&O in the past. Usually Inside to Oceanview. The last was Inside to Balcony last January this year, Sydney to Singapore. I have cruised with P&O 10+ times.

• Haha 1