P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

17 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Good evening.

It is very windy here at the moment with lots of bins blown over.

We spent 11 hours at hospital yesterday while our Sarah was getting emergency CT, x-rays and MRI scans on her back.

She was admitted into hospital this morning and the surgeon said he would perform a dangerous operation or give her injections in a week's time so she has opted for the injections.

As well as a slipped disc she has Cauda equina syndrome.

IMG_20230112_195942.jpg

I am sorry to read this Graham. Thoughts and prayers with you all and hoping that the procedures go well. Take care

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Good evening.

It is very windy here at the moment with lots of bins blown over.

We spent 11 hours at hospital yesterday while our Sarah was getting emergency CT, x-rays and MRI scans on her back.

She was admitted into hospital this morning and the surgeon said he would perform a dangerous operation or give her injections in a week's time so she has opted for the injections.

As well as a slipped disc she has Cauda equina syndrome.

Edited by DamianG
  • Thanks 1

Been to the Doctors this afternoon as it's that wonderful time of the year when the 

practise nurse likes to check me out and try and get me to part with some blood.🤣

I did warn the nurse but she thought she could get away with a needle .I had advised 

even the hospital uses a butterfly needle .

After two stabs and a root around veins she conceded and got a butterfly needle and 

opted for the back of my hand , Job done ! Just hope sample don't end up  hemolyzed ??

Some would say I should never have booked the appointment on Friday the 13th .

I just thank my lucky stars I'm not superstitious 😉

To be fair Friday 13th never upset me but Monday 16th used to when I was working 😊

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

9 minutes ago, kalos said:

Been to the Doctors this afternoon as it's that wonderful time of the year when the 

practise nurse likes to check me out and try and get me to part with some blood.🤣

I did warn the nurse but she thought she could get away with a needle .I had advised 

After two stabs and a root around veins she conceded and got a butterfly needle and 

opted for the back of my hand , Job done ! Just hope sample don't end up  hemolyzed ??

To be fair Friday 13th never upset me but Monday 16th used to when I was working 😊

Not the first time I have taken the needle off them and done it myself, did it frequently when giving blood.

I have bad veins and was once threatened with a femoral stab as they couldn’t get blood, I got it! 

• Like 4

Carrying on with the needle theme, who else has received the "Our future health" leaflet to take part in the NHS programme, seemingly everyone over 18 qualifies, I just wondered how wide spread the mailshot was as both Mrs YP and myself got a letter. The first stage is to go for a blood test.

https://ourfuturehealth.org.uk/

31 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

Carrying on with the needle theme, who else has received the "Our future health" leaflet to take part in the NHS programme, seemingly everyone over 18 qualifies, I just wondered how wide spread the mailshot was as both Mrs YP and myself got a letter. The first stage is to go for a blood test.

Never heard of it. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, kalos said:

I hope your blood tests are fine Kalos.

My blood plays hide and seek too when I get my bloods done.

Nurse said to drink plenty of water before I have my next blood tests.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, yorkshirephil said:

Know nothing about it!

13 hours ago, yorkshirephil said:

I hadn't heard about this until you posted Phil but I've just been listening to a guy talking about it on the radio. They are looking for 5 million volunteers from as many different races as will join. It's known that certain races/ nationalities suffer more from certain inherited health conditions (you know all this I'm sure), and have historically been reluctant to come forward. The study looks like a predictive of what future health will look like, and what research can add, taking as wide a range of participants' health needs as can be compared/ treated. Sorry, I'm waffling now but that's the gist of it.

I don't think I'll bother. They probably won't be interested in an ageing overweight old bird with a slightly dodgy brain who can't seem to stop smoking at the moment! Jane.x

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

9 minutes ago, Beckett said:

I hadn't heard about this until you posted Phil but I've just been listening to a guy talking about it on the radio. They are looking for 5 million volunteers from as many different races as will join. It's known that certain races/ nationalities suffer more from certain inherited health conditions (you know all this I'm sure), and have historically been reluctant to come forward. The study looks like a predictive of what future health will look like, and what research can add, taking as wide a range of participants' health needs as can be compared/ treated. Sorry, I'm waffling now but that's the gist of it.

I don't think I'll bother. They probably won't be interested in an ageing overweight old bird with a slightly dodgy brain who can't seem to stop smoking at the moment! Jane.x

We have joined up as I think anything we can do to help future generations can't be a bad thing, whether we are any use is another story. I have always believed it is better to be proactive as opposed to being reactive and prevention is better than cure, I just hope some good comes of it and it doesn't just drop into the big black hole.

• Like 6

13 hours ago, yorkshirephil said:

Just looked into it further, realised I won’t get an invite as I opted out of sharing my data outside of NHS a few years back. 

I think it's good to see the health service being pro active/preventative, reading the press 

you sadly never hear of this, as it does not sell papers .

Yesterday I received a letter inviting me for a free lung check from a program the NHS is running .

They also had posters all over the doctors surgery about this .

It's aimed at smokers/ex smokers aged 55-74 .I fall into the latter group gave up many years ago but thank you NHS for doing this, in what is busy and difficult times for them .:classic_love:

• Like 10

Good morning, well not so good weather wise here in Southampton. Iona arrived early at 2300 last night to beat the high winds. Currently, 0945, blowing a gale, but forecast to subside around midday. Good nights stay in Grand Harbour Leonardo, I would recommend it but watch the price, it varies enormously. Looking forward to boarding Iona again and hope for some warm weather in the Canaries.

• Like 18

2 minutes ago, bobstheboy said:

Good morning, well not so good weather wise here in Southampton. Iona arrived early at 2300 last night to beat the high winds. Currently, 0945, blowing a gale, but forecast to subside around midday. Good nights stay in Grand Harbour Leonardo, I would recommend it but watch the price, it varies enormously. Looking forward to boarding Iona again and hope for some warm weather in the Canaries.

Thanks for the hotel price tip.

I hope you have a wonderful cruise Bob.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Beckett said:

I have joined up because I  feel quite strongly about medical research and on both sides of my family there are health issues.  Dad's family all suffer from heart problems and mum's family it is strokes and cancers.

Edited by Josy1953
  • Like 6

Our Future Health sounds very much like Biobank, which I joined back in 2009. You had a day of medical screening and mental tests and periodic online questionaires. They then followed you up via your GP records.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, bobstheboy said:

Good morning, well not so good weather wise here in Southampton.

Just been looking at the ferry cam that is now back up and running and the weather looks 

a tad nasty at the moment . 

Hope you have a great cruise sailing away from all this crap weather Bob 🙂

• Like 8

Morning! Today’s my birthday & guess what ds gave us last weekend,  😷 Still feeling pretty ropy & struggling to breathe, ironically I had a text to fill in an asthma yesterday. Absolutely poured down with rain & windy last night, I don’t think we’ve floated down to the sea though. 

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Caullkhead said:

Morning! Today’s my birthday & guess what ds gave us last weekend,  😷 Still feeling pretty ropy & struggling to breathe, ironically I had a text to fill in an asthma yesterday. Absolutely poured down with rain & windy last night, I don’t think we’ve floated down to the sea though. 

@Caullkhead.

Happy birthday and I hope you are soon feeling well.

f54cd68b7734a79d5c3a00ca4f62d90c.jpg

Screenshot_20221224_105757.jpg

• Like 3