P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

2 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

How are you this morning?

Not long out of bed and still feeling lousy, I am just not shaking this off.

I’m keeping a watching brief on my temperature, o2 sats and peak flows. I have a written management plan (which gets updated once a year) that says do x if peak flow goes below Y etc so I’ve already increased my medication without needing NHS online. I’m lucky I have all the kit and appropriate prescription medication at home.

If it drops again below the next level I just contact my own GP, let’s hope things improve and I don’t have to use up an appointment. It’s not getting better at the moment but no worse either.

On the bright side I’ve lost a fair bit of weight (not a healthy way to do it). There a vague chance I may get back into some of my more glamorous evening dresses on the next cruise😀.

• Like 15

12 hours ago, Snow Hill said:

Will be sowing my tomato plants next week, plus I have decided to grow cucumbers again this year, at least with my own I don’t have the fight with the plastic wrapper on them.

I grew cucumbers last year for the first time, and had a heavy crop of small cucumbers - Passandra. Lovely tasting, much nicer than shop bought, and am growing them again this year.

Avril

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Not long out of bed and still feeling lousy, I am just not shaking this off.

I’m keeping a watching brief on my temperature, o2 sats and peak flows. I have a written management plan (which gets updated once a year) that says do x if peak flow goes below Y etc so I’ve already increased my medication without needing NHS online. I’m lucky I have all the kit and appropriate prescription medication at home.

If it drops again below the next level I just contact my own GP, let’s hope things improve and I don’t have to use up an appointment. It’s not getting better at the moment but no worse either.

On the bright side I’ve lost a fair bit of weight (not a healthy way to do it). There a vague chance I may get back into some of my more glamorous evening dresses on the next cruise😀.

Thanks - please don’t take any chances though. We’re all genuinely concerned for you, as will be your husband!

Congratulations on the weight loss - the one spin-off benefit!  😄

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

Add to that the fact that the big 4 supermarkets don’t always sell seasonal goods. I don’t for example see Kale available.

I've bought Kale from Asda, ready sliced in bags though.

Hope you're feelling a little better today. x

Avril

12 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I've bought Kale from Asda, ready sliced in bags though.

Hope you're feelling a little better today. x

Avril

Must just be here that there no kale then which is ironic, not that it’s my favourite vegetable but it’s healthy.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, zap99 said:

We stayed a couple if times in the historic rooms. Love it. Happy birthday.

We are in an historic room overlooking the putting grass and croquet pitch with trees and fields all around. Very pleasant

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Happy birthday Pete. Have a lovely day.

Avril

Thanks Avril. It has started well with a nice breakfast of eggs Benedict and a couple of rashers of bacon, washed down with lashings of hot black coffee.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I grew cucumbers last year for the first time, and had a heavy crop of small cucumbers - Passandra. Lovely tasting, much nicer than shop bought, and am growing them again this year.

Avril

Do they take much effort or care? How much sunshine do they need.

5 minutes ago, pete14 said:

Thanks Avril. It has started well with a nice breakfast of eggs Benedict and a couple of rashers of bacon, washed down with lashings of hot black coffee.

Have a good time.

We have a Warner’s road trip in a couple of months time, Bembridge, then on to Cricket St Thomas. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, wowzz said:

We had a brief sojourn in Somerset in Milborne Port. Lovely 16th century cottage,  although the bedroom ceiling collapsed on us the second week we were there !

Somerset’s a lovely county with a bit of everything. Pretty cheap when we lived there, near Taunton, but much more expensive now after it became fashionable. Hauser & Wirth kicked off the Bruton set, and it mushroomed.

When we moved down the M5 hadn’t long reached Taunton and it was a very different place from the way it is now. Very much the rural county town, with a wonderful old provisions shop, The County Stores, in the centre of town. All changed now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kalos said:

I think our country could do better growing our own lettuce etc. 

The UK produces over 220,000 tonnes of lettuce a year !

But obviously it is uneconomic to produce it during the winter months, when the cost  of heating the polytunnels would be prohibitive, even prior to recent increases.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Do they take much effort or care? How much sunshine do they need.

I grew them in the unheated greenhouse the same as the tomatoes. I planted each seed in a fibre pot and put in a propagater in the greenhouse, they grew quickly, and when big enough planted them out into the greenhouse border. They need netting to grow against as they're climbers, but other than that, very straightforward. I followed the instructions on the packet and was surprised how easy it was. I grew all female flower cucumbers so no need to worry with the fertilisation of the flowers. If I can grow them anyone can.

Avril

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, pete14 said:

We are in an historic room overlooking the putting grass and croquet pitch with trees and fields all around. Very pleasant

I grew up not far from Thoresby, Clumber and Sherwood, this was long before it was a Hotel

Used to  cycle all around  that area, Thoresby had a large herd of Deer, they were often found on the the Cricket ground.

Edited by Bloodaxe
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, pete14 said:

It sounds lovely Pete. Have a very happy birthday and enjoy your stay. Best wishes. Jane xx

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, wowzz said:

The UK produces over 220,000 tonnes of lettuce a year !

But obviously it is uneconomic to produce it during the winter months, when the cost  of heating the polytunnels would be prohibitive, even prior to recent increases.

Just had a look on You Tube and their is films of winter lettuce being grown in the UK.

I'm no expert on lettuce growing but I'm sure with farming technology more could be

produced .Not saying a variety we normally have or even the price .

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kalos said:

Just had a look on You Tube and their is films of winter lettuce being grown in the UK.

I'm no expert on lettuce growing but I'm sure with farming technology more could be

produced .Not saying a variety we normally have or even the price .

I'm sure they could, but I can see how UK growers could compete with Spanish and North African producers who do not need to heat their polytunnels. 

How many  Brits would buy a UK lettuce if it cost £4 ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pete14 said:

Sounds like your having a great birthday Pete ,Happy birthday " Soon be dinner time and 

you can eat what you like ..including the salad bar 😉

Enjoy your day 🙂

• Like 1

4 hours ago, pete14 said:

Spending my birthday today at Warners fantastic Thoresby Hall Hotel in Nottinghamshire. Below is the Great Hall.

FB76CF04-C6C5-41F4-8A3C-0A6E3DE2BCF3.jpeg

Ah, fabulous Thoresby Hall! I enjoy Warner Hotels but don't like the current menus with an emphasis on spicy food! Hope you are having a wonderful birthday!

1 minute ago, wowzz said:

I'm sure they could, but I can see how UK growers could compete with Spanish and North African producers who do not need to heat their polytunnels. 

How many  Brits would buy a UK lettuce if it cost £4 ?

That's the choice heat their polytunnels or pay transport costs from north Africa ?

I won't be paying four quid for a lettuce as I know  Avril @Adawn47 would sell me one of 

hers as she's kind like that 😉 .... £3.99  ? 

• Haha 5

3 hours ago, brian1 said:

There was a farmer bloke on the telly this morning saying just that.He said we have loads of scope for growing more of our own stuff.

Ah yes, but it seems our government prefers to get thousands of new (mostly very expensive) homes or solar panels built on farmers' fields...

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Britboys said:

Ah yes, but it seems our government prefers to get thousands of new (mostly very expensive) homes or solar panels built on farmers' fields...

Sadly, that is what is exactly what is happening everywhere….😢

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, kalos said:

That's the choice heat their polytunnels or pay transport costs from north Africa ?

I won't be paying four quid for a lettuce as I know  Avril @Adawn47 would sell me one of 

hers as she's kind like that 😉 .... £3.99  ? 

I'm not that mercenary kalos, £3.25 and free delivery too 😊

Avril

• Haha 6

OH has an allotment and last year had so many tomatoes and cucumbers, many more than we could eat. Everytime someone called round the were asked if they wanted some, my mother was inundated with cucumbers too.  I still have beans and raspberries in the freezer.

• Like 5