P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

25 minutes ago, kalos said:

Providing you didn't make an ass of yourself and it tasted nice 🤣

I just had to look donkey up in Italian and see the language, just like Portuguese has it's

own male /female word pronunciations, ie do and dah on the end of a word.

So I can see how easy it is to mix your lingos up:classic_unsure:

You mean like Homer Simpson.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, brian1 said:

We had our little flurry yesterday washed away by continuous rain.I can't believe they shut down our grandkids school in Sevenoaks.

The schools around here usually close at the first sign of snow.  My niece who is a  teacher once told me that the schools close because most of the teachers don't live close to the schools and can have problems getting in  she lives 17 miles from her school, quite a bit of the journey is on narrow country roads that are low priority for clearing and gritting.

• Like 10

13 minutes ago, brian1 said:

We had our little flurry yesterday washed away by continuous rain.I can't believe they shut down our grandkids school in Sevenoaks.

That's the problem these days ,far too many snowflakes and to make matters worse ..

it's snowing as well .:classic_unsure:

• Haha 10

Good Morning everyone,

Hope that those of you that have snow and cold temps stay safe and warm. Down here we are in double figures and even had a bit of sun a short while ago, although the forecast for this afternoon is rain.

I don't know what I have done but my shoulder is sore and hurts when I move, probably slept on it funnily! Hope it eases off.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, purplesea said:

Good Morning everyone,

Hope that those of you that have snow and cold temps stay safe and warm. Down here we are in double figures and even had a bit of sun a short while ago, although the forecast for this afternoon is rain.

I don't know what I have done but my shoulder is sore and hurts when I move, probably slept on it funnily! Hope it eases off.

Well it can't be a frozen shoulder cos you aint got any snow.

• Haha 9

1 hour ago, purplesea said:

Good Morning everyone,

We are in double figures as well - minus! Very cold overnight but the snow is light so far, more forecast for later today.

Try doing some light stretches for your shoulder. Hope if feels better soon.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

We are in double figures as well - minus! Very cold overnight but the snow is light so far, more forecast for later today.

Try doing some light stretches for your shoulder. Hope if feels better soon.

Ouch - I am due back from the Canaries tomorrow.   NOT looking forward to those temperatures.  It’s a balmy 24 degrees here in Fuerteventura today.  😎

• Like 9

13 minutes ago, Ilovemygarden said:

Ouch - I am due back from the Canaries tomorrow.   NOT looking forward to those temperatures.  It’s a balmy 24 degrees here in Fuerteventura today.  😎

Wrap up warm for coming home. It has been incredibly cold and there is a severe weather warning for the next 48 hours for snow and ice, or at least there is for here. It may be milder for you further south and west.

Enjoy the last of the sunshine.

Edited by Eglesbrech
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

The schools around here usually close at the first sign of snow.  My niece who is a  teacher once told me that the schools close because most of the teachers don't live close to the schools and can have problems getting in  she lives 17 miles from her school, quite a bit of the journey is on narrow country roads that are low priority for clearing and gritting.

That’s a problem here too and another problem is that the taxis and buses won’t run and most pupils in the rural schools rely on school transport. 

Finally it’s stopped snowing, turned to light rain so roads and paths are slushy and slippery, some schools closed this morning most those that are on hilly approaches, but a lot more have closed at 1:30. The decorator took 45 mins to make a 5 mile journey this morning and he has a 4WD vehicle, he said roads were treacherous even those that have been gritted, plus some people are not adjusting their driving to the road conditions. 

More snow Forecast for overnight, plus we are on a weather warning for more snow on Saturday. 

I was planning to clear out my greenhouse this week to make room for seed sowing, that’s on hold whilst snow about and temperatures are low. 

• Like 2

We are home from another great cruise on the beautiful Ambience, no complaints at all. It was a bit of a shock to the system getting home to 1oC and now heavy snow after the temps we have had, even sailing through the BoB on Tuesday it was warm enough to sit out. Hope everyone is well.

• Like 14

15 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

We are home from another great cruise on the beautiful Ambience, no complaints at all. It was a bit of a shock to the system getting home to 1oC and now heavy snow after the temps we have had, even sailing through the BoB on Tuesday it was warm enough to sit out. Hope everyone is well.

Glad to hear you had a good cruise Phil. Did you hear anyone raising concerns about aircon problems at all? That's the only little worry I have about Ambience.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Britboys said:

Glad to hear you had a good cruise Phil. Did you hear anyone raising concerns about aircon problems at all? That's the only little worry I have about Ambience.

Cheers Andrew, we never spoke to anyone or heard any gossip about the aircon not working, we did have some work done in our cabin where a new motor was fitted but assumed that was routine maintenance as we didn't report anything. We were with friends who went on Iona in January and they thought Ambience was much better for them. We thought that the food was excellent, a little better than on our last cruise on Ambience and certainly better than Arcadia in Dec, even though we had nothing to complain about then.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

Cheers Andrew, we never spoke to anyone or heard any gossip about the aircon not working, we did have some work done in our cabin where a new motor was fitted but assumed that was routine maintenance as we didn't report anything. We were with friends who went on Iona in January and they thought Ambience was much better for them. We thought that the food was excellent, a little better than on our last cruise on Ambience and certainly better than Arcadia in Dec, even though we had nothing to complain about then.

Thanks Phil. I don't have a cruise booked for next year yet so will be interested to see what Ambassador have to offer when they launch 2024.

17 minutes ago, Britboys said:

Thanks Phil. I don't have a cruise booked for next year yet so will be interested to see what Ambassador have to offer when they launch 2024.

We spoke to several solo pax who were very pleased with the solo fares, someone said they had over 80 cabins allocated to solo pax so not sure if that was for our cruise or a general rule.

• Like 2

Well it blowing a blizzard outside. I’m glad I have everything I need indoors as we will be in for the duration.

OH has left the snow plow at the back door so we can push a path to the cheese fridge and freezers out in the garage if needs be tomorrow. Then again the snow may just fizzle away overnight.

Brought in some venison to defrost for tomorrow. I think I’ll make a ragu for a change.

I tried a new recipe for a pizza base yesterday. Just flour and live yoghurt. Made up in minutes and makes a really nice base to add whatever you want to it. Not worth fiddling about with yeast when that is so easy. We live and learn.

When it’s cold like this comfort food is always the order of the day. May even have a nip of whisky tonight, purely medicinal of course. I have a nice  Madeira aged cask strength to try. Slainte.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, happy v said:

Did you let the dough rise or use it straight away?

I left it in the fridge for an hour but it can be used straight away.

1 and 3/4 cups of self raising flour

1 cup live plain yoghurt

ned lightly

roll out thin and top as required

oil the baking tray

gas 6 for about 20 minutes

I made 4 small thin pizza with that measure rather than one large one and baked 2 at a time

3 hours ago, yorkshirephil said:

We spoke to several solo pax who were very pleased with the solo fares, someone said they had over 80 cabins allocated to solo pax so not sure if that was for our cruise or a general rule.

It's a general thing Phil. On Ambience there are 89 cabins available for solos an on Ambition there are 78. I believe these are actually all twin cabins set aside for solo occupancy.

From what I've heard, they also arrange events for solos too, such as a welcome party, so far more than P&O now do for us.

If you book early, the prices are good. I paid about £600 for the 5 night Christmas Markets cruise and was upgraded to a Superior Outside cabin and that included gratuities and all-inclusive drinks package.

• Like 4