P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

40 minutes ago, purplesea said:

A Bernese Mountain dog, that answer to the name of Nala.

She's a great big (50+ kilos) softy.

I guessed Border Collie because of her colouring.  We had a Border Collie with the same coloured markings. Her size doesn't show in the picture. She's a beauty with the most soulful and loving eyes.

Avril

• Like 2

Good afternoon everyone it’s been a cloudy cool day today with only a little bit of sun first thing this morning, 3 ships in today which made the town very busy, today p&o Azura , since we have been here it’s just been 1 p&o ship a week in but others especially Aida have been in every day , hotel staff say we normally get 3 ships in a day in the winter and 1 ship in a week in the summer!!! Strange, went to what they call fishermen village today very quiet we got there before all the buses turned up then went back into town for lunch and to scout out a restaurant for tonight’s meal so we’re going to a Irish pub/restaurant for a change. 

22F7A0D0-90B8-4089-8C95-98662AA30CD8.jpeg

19AADD18-1E0C-4530-BD15-460F06EDD87F.jpeg

3CA0FBCC-B002-4B43-A8DF-6CE2AE545D16.jpeg

F964FFC4-1F74-4C90-83B6-01F17F3382AA.jpeg

6FA01EB5-8B4B-438B-BEE1-23EFECF19E88.jpeg

• Like 17

Finally have power back, it went off at just after 5, National Grid arrived in the area about 45 mins later, only 1 phase lost so only 157 properties affected, including ourselves and next door neighbour on one side, was very strange. They have bypassed the fault to give us our power back, but have yet to find the location of the fault, which has not been helped by the heavy rain and wind,

it was McDonalds for our evening meal tonight.

Edited by Snow Hill
  • Like 8

The monastery at Monte Cassino scene of the WW2 battle.North of Naples overlooking the main rd to Rome the Geeeermans held up the allies for several weeks with no Fokkers to help them.IMG_20230314_0616487451181.thumb.jpg.045da0480c4dde7a74d7999f3419a526.jpg

• Like 15
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, brian1 said:

The monastery at Monte Cassino scene of the WW2 battle.North of Naples overlooking the main rd to Rome the Geeeermans held up the allies for several weeks with no Fokkers to help them.IMG_20230314_0616487451181.thumb.jpg.045da0480c4dde7a74d7999f3419a526.jpg

My uncle fought there (on the British side!). Always said it was an horrific experience.

• Like 7

24 minutes ago, Angel57 said:

My uncle fought there (on the British side!). Always said it was an horrific experience.

I once had an Italian Mother in Law who came from near there.   Those woods are very eirie and contain lots of  old WW2 ammo and half buried debris.  Very creepy.  It must have been horrendous\

Edited by indiana123
  • Like 4

I am pleased that we have a cool but bright day today because I had agreed to deliver leaflets for a local councillor.  I have managed to walk 15885 steps up

today so I don't think that I will bother go for my usual walk this afternoon but I don't think that I will take up delivering leaflets as a new career😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, Angel57 said:

My father too - though he rarely talked about it. I wish now I’d asked him about it, but children rarely do and time moved on. What was interesting though was the discovery some time after he and my mother had died that the British soldiers did at least get quite a lengthy time in Italy at leisure.

Obviously, after the initial defeat of the Axis forces, they had to keep Italy under Allied control, but it was very, very different from the fighting they’d endured since entering Sicily from North Africa. We discovered some delightful photos of my father and other young British soldiers obviously having the time of their life in Venice and other places. The Italians were delighted they were there, and obviously they had money to spend.

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Angel57 said:

50000 allied casualties and 20000 Germans.I didn't realise the battle was that big.2000 civilians killed in the allied bombing.

4 hours ago, indiana123 said:

I once had an Italian Mother in Law who came from near there.   Those woods are very eirie and contain lots of  old WW2 ammo and half buried debris.  Very creepy.  It must have been horrendous\

Our good friend Mario who lives in Broadstairs has his family roots there.

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

My father too - though he rarely talked about it. I wish now I’d asked him about it, but children rarely do and time moved on. What was interesting though was the discovery some time after he and my mother had died that the British soldiers did at least get quite a lengthy time in Italy at leisure.

Obviously, after the initial defeat of the Axis forces, they had to keep Italy under Allied control, but it was very, very different from the fighting they’d endured since entering Sicily from North Africa. We discovered some delightful photos of my father and other young British soldiers obviously having the time of their life in Venice and other places. The Italians were delighted they were there, and obviously they had money to spend.

The present monastery is rebuilt,the allies bombed the original to rubble.In fact making defence of the place easier.When the Poles finally made it to the top,the Germans had done a runner.

• Like 1