P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

32 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

I was awake at 4:13 this morning and couldn't find any way to go back to sleep so I got up at 4:35.  The cleaning is all done and I have made a cottage pie and prepared the veg for this evening,

On this forum, I'm envious of your energy and Brian's (@Brian1) lifestyle 😁

Please tell me you'll have an afternoon nap rather than going bowling, to make me feel better 😉!

Edited by mrsgoggins
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

21 minutes ago, Peanut006 said:

It’s a lovely morning here today, some sitting outside on the patio might be in order.

I am feeling a bit cross today though. We have sold our house and we’re supposed to have a packing service coming today before moving into a rental bungalow for six months while our new house was been extended and renovated. We were supposed to exchange last Friday  - it didn’t happen, then Monday - it didn’t happen then yesterday the bottom of the chain pulled out so everything has collapsed. Now left with a solicitor’s bill, no rental house and possibly no house to buy. It shouldn’t be allowed to happen so late down the proceedings. 

Michelle

Michelle, so sorry for this awful thing to happen. 

My daughter has just moved house and they had a worrying time of it. The house they were buying was owned by a divorced couple. The man was still living in the house and not doing anything about finding somewhere else. It got to the point that the people at the bottom of the chain were going to pull out. Fortunately, his ex wife managed persuaded him to go and they have now moved two weeks after the original date. 

The house is beautiful but was extremely dirty, you can’t see the gardens as the trees and shrubs have not been cut back for ages. I am back on cleaning duty today. It took two whole days to clean the kitchen and utility room. Today, it’s the downstairs loo, not sure what’s next as the electrician is also in and I don’t want to get in his way.

Her 3 boys are very happy, they are allowed to play games all day at the moment. That won’t last though.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Peanut006 said:

It’s a lovely morning here today, some sitting outside on the patio might be in order.

I am feeling a bit cross today though. We have sold our house and we’re supposed to have a packing service coming today before moving into a rental bungalow for six months while our new house was been extended and renovated. We were supposed to exchange last Friday  - it didn’t happen, then Monday - it didn’t happen then yesterday the bottom of the chain pulled out so everything has collapsed. Now left with a solicitor’s bill, no rental house and possibly no house to buy. It shouldn’t be allowed to happen so late down the proceedings. 

Michelle

So sorry, what a nightmare!  

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Jennizor said:

Michelle, so sorry for this awful thing to happen. 

My daughter has just moved house and they had a worrying time of it. The house they were buying was owned by a divorced couple. The man was still living in the house and not doing anything about finding somewhere else. It got to the point that the people at the bottom of the chain were going to pull out. Fortunately, his ex wife managed persuaded him to go and they have now moved two weeks after the original date. 

The house is beautiful but was extremely dirty, you can’t see the gardens as the trees and shrubs have not been cut back for ages. I am back on cleaning duty today. It took two whole days to clean the kitchen and utility room. Today, it’s the downstairs loo, not sure what’s next as the electrician is also in and I don’t want to get in his way.

Her 3 boys are very happy, they are allowed to play games all day at the moment. That won’t last though.

Glad it all worked out for your daughter in the end. Isn’t it awful when you take ownership of a place that is filthy? How can people live like that? 

We are praying and hoping our chain can be saved somehow 

Michelle

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, bobstheboy said:

So sorry for your housing problem Michelle. It shouldn't be allowed, there are some that don't think of others,. but it may have been unavoidable.

She started asking extra questions on the exchange date, she was a cash buyer and very fussy apparently.

I am wondering if she is going to try get a price reduction at the last minute when she knows the seller will be under pressure..,

Michelle

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, indiana123 said:

Oh no.  So very sorry to hear that Peanut.

I think "a bit cross" must be an understatement.. you must be putting another  brave face on.

Stay strong and cheerful.  x

I am trying to stay cheerful!! Got other things on my mind as we are going on a cruise 27 August and taking four grandchildren with us so I am preparing for that too

Michelle

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, lincslady said:

So sorry to hear your news, Michelle.  It is one of the most stressful things in life.  I hope it works out for you, which of course it will in time.

Hopefully it will eventually 

Michelle

• Like 1

When I lived near Gravesend, some 20 years ago there was suddenly a trend where certain buyers started to find fault and kick up on exchange day and ask for extra things to be included  and  they picked holes in everything and threatened to pull out just to get a reduction.

It was happening all over, then stopped.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Peanut006 said:

She started asking extra questions on the exchange date, she was a cash buyer and very fussy apparently.

I am wondering if she is going to try get a price reduction at the last minute when she knows the seller will be under pressure..,

Michelle

We had similar happen many years ago. My buyer was a cash buyer and the day before exchange wanted a reduction in price. I was so annoyed I refused and luckily they continued with the sale.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, mrsgoggins said:

How very stressful for you!  Something similar happened to us decades ago and we ended up living on my mother's drive in our caravan, with our young son, for some months.  I hope it gets resolved for you soon.  I wonder if the Scottish system works better, as I have been led to believe.

Everyone says the Scottish system is better, not sure of the ins and outs of how it works

Michelle

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bobstheboy said:

We had similar happen many years ago. My buyer was a cash buyer and the day before exchange wanted a reduction in price. I was so annoyed I refused and luckily they continued with the sale.

That is good news for you sometimes it better to stand your ground isn’t it 

Michelle

1 hour ago, Peanut006 said:

Michelle

I really feel for you Michelle, the same happened to us earlier in the year. We were ready to exchange contracts. I quite agree that it should not happen.

Molly

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, sagaris said:

I really feel for you Michelle, the same happened to us earlier in the year. We were ready to exchange contracts. I quite agree that it should not happen.

Molly

Sorry to hear you were in the same position as us earlier, hope it all got sorted for you 

Michelle 

1 hour ago, mrsgoggins said:

On this forum, I'm envious of your energy and Brian's (@Brian1) lifestyle 😁

Please tell me you'll have an afternoon nap rather than going bowling, to make me feel better 😉!

I am not bowling until tomorrow evening.

I have just switched the TV on to watch England Ladies play Australia so doing absolutely nothing for the next couple of hours.  I may have to gag DH if he tries to do his usual commentary about what the plays should be doing.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

2 hours ago, Peanut006 said:

Michelle

What rotten news, I hope you find another buyer quickly.

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, bobstheboy said:

We had the same thing happen to us. We told them we were going to America in 2 days and if we hadn't exchanged by then, it could wait till we got back, but we may decide to call it off when we return. Exchanged the same day.

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

What rotten news, I hope you find another buyer quickly.

We still have our buyer and they still have their buyer it’s the one below them that has pulled out. It’s our decision now if we hold on or put it on the market again. Think we will go on holiday and think about it when we come home

Michelle

• Like 7

On 8/15/2023 at 10:31 AM, indiana123 said:

Oh sorry to be a bit thick here.   Is he racing on Friday or Saturday.

I don't want to show myself up again when I collect the last winnings and have a little flutter again🤣

Dutch Decoy is declared for Friday evening and maintains his entry.  I'm pretty certain he will run at this stage as he will have to travel from Yorkshire down to Newmarket. Therefore 20.05 at Newmarket on Friday 18th if you want to check him out.

• Like 1

I really feel for you Michelle and with a hefty solicitor bill too it’s certainly not fair when this happens, you are a strong person so put all your happy thoughts into planning and looking forward to your holiday with your family, but I hope it’s resolved quickly for you .

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Peanut006 said:

Michelle

I'm sorry to hear of your difficulties.  Assumedly her extra questions were regarding the property she is intending to buy.  As she too will have encountered a large financial outlay for searches, surveys and solicitors it might be worth your chain investigating if it is genuinely to do with a price reduction.

When handling long complex chains while I worked in a solicitors office if the person at the bottom collapsed the chain at a late stage for a financial reason we always suggested everyone in the chain consider sacrificing some of their price to keep the chain in tact. For example, if the pulling out person asked for £10,000 reduction we would go back to all chain members to ask if they would be prepared to negotiate and everyone reduce their price by say £5,000 with a view to achieving a sale with all prices accordingly reduced.  This often worked.  Sometimes the end of chain would counter offer and then discussion took place but if the original price cuts were weighed up against everyone's out of pocket expenses an acceptable solution would occur for immediate exchange.

Obviously I'm not sure of your chain's reliance on their sale prices but with falling house prices and mortgage shortages a lower price from an existing chain may be more attractive than having to find new buyers who will no doubt want to negotiate and offer a possible lower price anyway.

I hope it all works out for you and at least. Enjoy your holiday.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1