P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

1 hour ago, Host Sharon said:

Phew! Finally home and back on here, although I need some gentle breaking in. Thank goodness I didn’t know back on 29 May that I would still be in hospital 8 weeks later, 6 of them on complete bed rest. All followed by the NHS shipping me off to a nursing home for another month. Now home but hobbling very gingerly with zimmer frame. Still a ways to go I fear.

It's good to have you back Sharon. 

Take care now that you are home.

• Like 4

I have been to the theatre with a group of friends to see a comedy show that we go to see three times a year.  The next one will be the Christmas show which will be a comedy version of Persuasion.

Our Social Secretary is tasked with procuring the tickets tomorrow because they are on sale already, so I have to remember to take my money with me when I meet up with her for our craft group.  I hadn't really started to think about Christmas yet so I was a bit surprised.

I saw the "blue" moon while driving home.

Edited by Josy1953
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, Host Sharon said:

Phew! Finally home and back on here, although I need some gentle breaking in. Thank goodness I didn’t know back on 29 May that I would still be in hospital 8 weeks later, 6 of them on complete bed rest. All followed by the NHS shipping me off to a nursing home for another month. Now home but hobbling very gingerly with zimmer frame. Still a ways to go I fear.

Welcome home Sharon. Best wishes for the continuation of your recovery. It's good to have you back. Jane xx

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Host Sharon said:

Welcome back Sharon but make sure you take it easy for the next few weeks and months. I am sure we will make life as easy as we can for you by behaving ourselves:

No politics

No Covid

No mentioning agents

No straying from P&O chat

No impoliteness to others

No other behaviour deemed to be naughty, etc.

No problem 😊

• Like 9
  • Haha 6

I managed to see the "blue" moon just before 11 pm as I was driving home from the theatre last night but I didn't think to take a photo when I got home.

A trip into the Toyota dealership this morning to finalise the details for picking up the new car tomorrow. 

It will be my first Toyota and we have never had to do this before when we have picked up our cars from dealerships.

• Like 3

On 8/28/2023 at 10:34 PM, indiana123 said:

HELP ... going round Britain then down to France, Belgium and Holland (last 3 whistle stop),  with NCL.  Temperatures are going to vary greatly so am packing, and packing and packing.,, I cant stop!!!!

Up to 19  tops and not finished yet, then saw a half price top in Morrisons. Well you have to don't you🤣  Only up to about 10 trousers so far.  Then it might rain up at Stornaway so need rain jacket, and jersey jacket and... and ... then theirs my four walking sticks, two gold for the evening and two others, then theres.........

Good job I booked the Baggage people. They come on Wednesday.  He makes me laugh as when we hand them over he usually says "Say goodbye to them, you'll probably never see them again"

Anyway I will go back and try to cut down the stack of stuff still to be packed.  I wish I had more willpower over things.

We tried packing cubes for our recent cruise, weren’t sure if they were just a gimmick (especially Michelle) but they 

worked so well we’ve just bought another set. 

https://www.mountainwarehouse.com/patterned-travel-organiser-3-pack-p25427.aspx/brown/

• Like 1

I never dreamt I would see a Super (blue ) moon last night  and I was right I didn't  cos 

I was tucked up in bed dreaming of other things😉

Before I went to bed ,watching the news ,they said Ali Bongo was not very well and there 

was me thinking there is only one Ali Bongo, who I used to dash home from school so I could 

see him on the telly .

Anyone else remember him and his magic ? download.jpg.041fd25ab0d6caec9b7bccb4a1d50881.jpg

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

I managed to see the "blue" moon just before 11 pm as I was driving home from the theatre last night but I didn't think to take a photo when I got home.

A trip into the Toyota dealership this morning to finalise the details for picking up the new car tomorrow. 

It will be my first Toyota and we have never had to do this before when we have picked up our cars from dealerships.

When I picked up my Toyota Yaris Cross back in January I had to go in a couple of days before to finalise things, such as picking the Registration Number, organising service plan, arranging for dash cam to swapped from old car and I also got to see my car in the workshop being prepared for delivery. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, DamianG said:

We tried packing cubes for our recent cruise, weren’t sure if they were just a gimmick (especially Michelle) but they 

worked so well we’ve just bought another set. 

https://www.mountainwarehouse.com/patterned-travel-organiser-3-pack-p25427.aspx/brown/

I had to buy new cases for our upcoming cruise and as I have bought hard sided cases that open like a book, for a want of a better discription🤨, bought a set of packing cubes too. I haven't used either yet, but my youngest daughter swears by them and my eldest daughter also says they are good.  If they work well I'll get some more for our next trip.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

When I picked up my Toyota Yaris Cross back in January I had to go in a couple of days before to finalise things, such as picking the Registration Number, organising service plan, arranging for dash cam to swapped from old car and I also got to see my car in the workshop being prepared for delivery. 

Thanks, perhaps that will be why I have to go in.

28 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

Enjoy the car. We are also off to collect our car tomorrow, always get a buzz collecting a new car, especially with new plates.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, purplesea said:

bought a set of packing cubes too. I haven't used either yet, but my youngest daughter swears by them and my eldest daughter also says they are good.  If they work well I'll get some more for our next trip.

Damian and Purplesea, forgive me and I am sure it is me being a bit thick here.🤣🤣..not difficult!!!

I take it these  are not the vacuum ones so how do they help.  Reviews are good so I

am feeling a bit silly  x

I

• Like 1

On 8/29/2023 at 2:27 PM, Megabear2 said:

Well after the airport IT fiasco I can now report the Great British Train one!  Just walked a fruitless one and a half miles to the railway station to be told that due to IT problems all ticket offices have been unable to accept card payments since start of trains this morning.  On enquiring if I can buy a ticket for travel tomorrow I was told the machines are also affected although I could buy a ticket with cash.  Us being a near cashless society I never carry much, currently having a tenner in my purse.  The tickets though are £88.40 each (only into London) so I'm stuck. No says the nice man, there's a cash machine outside in the alcove.  Off I go to look ... sorry out of cash and awaiting a refill.  

So no train tickets, no idea when they'll be back on sale and a three mile roundtrip walk for nothing.  You couldn't make it up could you.

I’m currently on the 8:15am Leeds to London, sat in the supposedly “quieter” carriage. The lady sat behind me has been a nuisance having a series of loud telephone conversations non-stop for the whole journey so far. 

We’ve just had the ticket checks & the guard asked her why she was on this service with a 9:45am ticket! She appeared to be getting argumentative but he calmed her down & generously let her off from paying the full walk up fair £167.

As a regular on these services I know that the later options Monday to Friday after 9am are significantly cheaper & I can’t help but feel that she knew what she was doing despite her pleas of not understanding. 

I agree that the ticket options are far too convoluted & doubtless the guards have to deal with this sort of scenario regularly.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, DamianG said:

I’m currently on the 8:15am Leeds to London, sat in the supposedly “quieter” carriage. The lady sat behind me has been a nuisance having a series of loud telephone conversations non-stop for the whole journey so far. 

We’ve just had the ticket checks & the guard asked her why she was on this service with a 9:45am ticket! She appeared to be getting argumentative but he calmed her down & generously let her off from paying the full walk up fair £167.

As a regular on these services I know that the later options Monday to Friday after 9am are significantly cheaper & I can’t help but feel that she knew what she was doing despite her pleas of not understanding. 

I agree that the ticket options are far too convoluted & doubtless the guards have to deal with this sort of scenario regularly.

Ironically we had a quiet carriage "situation" yesterday when a woman started a two way conversation on loudspeaker about her client's existing medical conditions! 20 minutes in the guard came through and my husband and a lady asked if he could have s word with her if for no other reason than we didn't need to know about the customer's prostate.  He then approached her, banged on the quiet zone sign and said loudly "Sorry but them up the back are having a go about it".

Astonished at being singled out to the passenger the lady called him back and pointed out it could have caused friction between the passengers.  The guard replied "I'm in a hurry" and shuttles off.  We were astonished.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, indiana123 said:

Damian and Purplesea, forgive me and I am sure it is me being a bit thick here.🤣🤣..not difficult!!!

I take it these  are not the vacuum ones so how do they help.  Reviews are good so I

I

Not at all! They are just canvas zip wallets so nothing special really but the Mountain Warehouse versions served us well. For example, I took around a dozen shirts which all neatly folded (i.e., squashed down) into a single organiser. Michelle fitted even more of her tops into another one then you just fit each into your case like a jigsaw puzzle. 

Neither of really thought they’d make any difference as we were packing the same amount of clothes after all, but they really do help compact everything. It felt easier unpacking too.

As an aside we bought some from Amazon that we sent straight back as they seemed so small & didn’t look robust. As ever there are lots of price options including some really expensive versions but we are happy with what we chose at the current sale prices.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Megabear2 said:

Ironically we had a quiet carriage "situation" yesterday when a woman started a two way conversation on loudspeaker about her client's existing medical conditions! 20 minutes in the guard came through and my husband and a lady asked if he could have s word with her if for no other reason than we didn't need to know about the customer's prostate.  He then approached her, banged on the quiet zone sign and said loudly "Sorry but them up the back are having a go about it".

Astonished at being singled out to the passenger the lady called him back and pointed out it could have caused friction between the passengers.  The guard replied "I'm in a hurry" and shuttles off.  We were astonished.

With my preference for quiet carriages I’ve had a few similar instances over the years and have given up trying to do anything about it. Last time I asked a guard to have a word with someone she initially couldn’t understand what I was asking and wasn’t aware that we were in the quiet carriage (or was playing dumb). 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, indiana123 said:

I

No, the ones I bought are not vacuum ones, although they do have a zip around them so the can be compressed. The idea is you fill the cubes with your clothing/items and they then fit into your case as blocks. 

Cube - 7-piece Set Travel Packing Cubes, Suitcase Luggage Organizer Bag, Clothes Storage Bag With Shoes Bag

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, kalos said:

I never dreamt I would see a Super (blue ) moon last night  and I was right I didn't  cos 

I was tucked up in bed dreaming of other things😉

Before I went to bed ,watching the news ,they said Ali Bongo was not very well and there 

was me thinking there is only one Ali Bongo, who I used to dash home from school so I could 

see him on the telly .

Anyone else remember him and his magic ? download.jpg.041fd25ab0d6caec9b7bccb4a1d50881.jpg

Had the news on in the background yesterday and couldn't stop giggling at the thought of THE Ali Bongo being the president of a country.

Had to google him to make sure I remembered the name correctly.  

• Haha 6

6 minutes ago, DamianG said:

With my preference for quiet carriages I’ve had a few similar instances over the years and have given up trying to do anything about it. Last time I asked a guard to have a word with someone she initially couldn’t understand what I was asking and wasn’t aware that we were in the quiet carriage (or was playing dumb). 

These are the staff the train companies want to take up full time passenger service roles, whilst the unions are striking to preserve their current jobs, which ensure the doors are closed safely!!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

These are the staff the train companies want to take up full time passenger service roles, whilst the unions are striking to preserve their current jobs, which ensure the doors are closed safely!!!

Two sides to every story ,which reminds me ,where's  @Harry Peterson 

he would put you right 😉🤣

Hope your keeping ok if your reading this Harry 🙂

• Like 10

1 hour ago, kalos said:

I wouldn't want the guards removing as someone who's a solo female and often catches the train from London that arrives at 1.30am.  One and a half hours on a train that empties more or less at Basingstoke and leaves you with an hour with a handful of often inebriated people isn't exactly comforting if there's no guard.  In fact the last but one train terminates at Yeovil and often the guard gathers lone passengers in one carriage near the rear so he's nearby.

We can't go driver only anyway because of the stations and trains used, but I definitely prefer someone on the train not a help machine miles away as used on the C2C line where I used to live.

Edited by Megabear2
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, kalos said:

+1

I miss @Harry Peterson. We had some great nhs conversations when I was still working and I always looked forward to his posts. I too hope everything is ok with you Harry.  Jane xx

• Like 11

Had to take the car to garage, engine management light came on a week after it had its mot and service. Warrenty company refusing to pay for its diagnostics test even though when I called them they said they would cover. Instead got to come out of my own pocket and try to claim back. Hoping its nothing major and just needs a rese but warrenty said they will pay if a problem has popped up. 

• Like 3