P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

I sympathise  with you as you can see on my screen shot I had a terrible night.  Like you it was not due to the temperature but I was worrying about my hospital visit this morning.

I  also saw P&O's ad in yesterday's papers, there are going to be some disappointed people.  DH said that he hopes that our November cruise on Ventura lives up to the hype. 

We will go with positive minds because we haven't been with P&O recently because we were disappointed with a number of issues on our last P&O cruise and have been travelling with other lines over the last few years.

Screenshot_20230911-064617.thumb.jpg.9c583878d9a6a418e68556e675123ec7.jpg

Edited by Josy1953
  • Like 7

Morning all,

Got woken up at 4.15 am by neighbours banging van doors and talking loudly, and couldn't get back to sleep. 

We had rain the night before last, but it hasn't done anything to clear the air! 

I have a hundred and one things still to do before our cruise on Friday, as we leave on Thursday only three days to go. I haven't even started packing yet either. I will get there even if I'm burning the midnight oil on Wednesday night😳

• Like 11

Good morning everyone we are in Sardinia this morning so we our waiting for our water shuttle number to be called out , it’s looks another beautiful sunny hot day again and captain said it was going to be hotter than yesterday and Rome was 33 and we walked 10k. 🥵 when we got back on the ship we showered and got ready for our special Caymers wine experience dinner and it was fantastic so the pictures at the end are that . Enjoy your day everyone and keep yourselves cool 😎 

IMG_4189.jpeg

IMG_4191.jpeg

IMG_4195.jpeg

IMG_4201.jpeg

IMG_4202.jpeg

IMG_4203.jpeg

IMG_4204.jpeg

IMG_4208.jpeg

IMG_4209.jpeg

IMG_4210.jpeg

IMG_4218.jpeg

IMG_4221.jpeg

IMG_4225.jpeg

IMG_4227.jpeg

IMG_4229.jpeg

IMG_4230.jpeg

IMG_4233.jpeg

IMG_4238.jpeg

IMG_4240.jpeg

IMG_4243.jpeg

IMG_4244.jpeg

IMG_4245.jpeg

IMG_4247.jpeg

IMG_4250.jpeg

IMG_4251.jpeg

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

Re the advertising; they seem to be trying different demographic groups.  The recent TV ones have been aimed at families including grandparents, 35 ish couples looking glam on their anniversaries, and 'fun loving' ethnic minority young women.  This one in the papers looks as though it is trying to go a bit more upmarket, certainly if advertising in the Sunday Times.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

We have had a little rain but it hardly wet the roads or pavement, I wish we could have some thundery rain, it is still far too hot and sticky.

Hottest night of the week inside last night. The house has really warmed up over the last few days and this morning every room is at least 25˚C... have donned tropical gear and it's back to the patio and the shade today.

Our idea is to keep cool and hydrated.

• Like 8

12 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

No I’m not arguing either but your experience of Fred is 10 years out of date. Mine is all from 2023 for both Fred and P&O.

But yes our opinions differ so let’s leave it there.

Only been on Fred once and it was about nine years ago. Was surprised at the number of younger folk on there. Was a good cruise to Norway. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lincslady said:

That dinner looks heavenly.  I can't imagine walking 10k on a day as hot as that; you must be pretty fit!

It is beginning to cool down here, still summery but not roasting this week.

I was another 'up in the wee small hours' person last night, but for me it was the heat.  Normal drill; eat a piece of fruit, download the Times (and because we have the Times digitally, I missed the P&O ad from yesterday; it was probably a separate section like a well known company who package interesting cruises with land stays).  I'll take a look later.

Yesterday I had a text message from a good 77 year old friend who is currently doing a 6-7 hour cycle ride daily through France, to pre-booked accommodation, in a heatwave!  She also climbed up (and down) Snowdon within the last few months.  As my mother used to say 'she's not got a pickin' on her ....!' and I'm sure that helps, along with a lifetime of preferring to walk/cycle everywhere and with good genetics to boot.  She's the poster 'girl' for our group of friends.

Agree about a post from Avril being overdue, although I notice that she is still reading, but Harry and Wowzz .... well, I just wish .....  Isn't it amazing how you feel you 'know' people you have never met? On that topic, many years ago I met the moderator and family, of a Disney board I occasionally posted on, and they were exactly as I knew they would be - lovely people.  We are still in contact today and the fact that he and his wife are now cruising means we still have things in common, which is a bonus.

Meanwhile, after a promising start to the day, it's clouding over here in south Lancashire and so a good day to prepare yet more apples for the freezer.  Every visitor is guaranteed apple crumble for the foreseeable future 😉

A bit of a ramble from me today 🤭

• Like 17

The P and O ad was in the colour section, which I guess they do not send digitally.  I must be crackers to still have it delivered every day (nice and early) but it is my main extravagance nowadays, and I do try to do the (easy) crossword, and the general knowledge one, which I figure is good for my poor old brain.  I love the Saturday paper, but not the Sunday one so much, especially the silly supplement  on fashion and makeup etc.  Handbags at £500 and watches at £10,000 is not me.

Yes, please let us know your news, Avril.

• Like 12

10 hours ago, lincslady said:

Another wakeful night - but not overhot this time, just got something important on my mind.

I don't know if any of you have seen an 8 page ad in the Sunday papers colour section (well maybe only in the Times) about all the wonderful things you can do on and from a P and O ship. It does all sound too good to be true and the ad must have cost a fortune.  I fear it may be  overselling the wonders of P and O, if some of people 's recent  reports are anything to go by.  (That is not what is on my mind, by the way).

Take care.

I hope whatever is on your mind does not upset you and you have an enjoyable day today.

20°C and partly sunny here after rain this morning.

Graham.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

I sympathise  with you as you can see on my screen shot I had a terrible night.  Like you it was not due to the temperature but I was worrying about my hospital visit this morning.

I  also saw P&O's ad in yesterday's papers, there are going to be some disappointed people.  DH said that he hopes that our November cruise on Ventura lives up to the hype. 

We will go with positive minds because we haven't been with P&O recently because we were disappointed with a number of issues on our last P&O cruise and have been travelling with other lines over the last few years.

Screenshot_20230911-064617.thumb.jpg.9c583878d9a6a418e68556e675123ec7.jpg

Good luck at your hospital appointment today Josy.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Purdey16 said:

Good morning everyone we are in Sardinia this morning so we our waiting for our water shuttle number to be called out , it’s looks another beautiful sunny hot day again and captain said it was going to be hotter than yesterday and Rome was 33 and we walked 10k. 🥵 when we got back on the ship we showered and got ready for our special Caymers wine experience dinner and it was fantastic so the pictures at the end are that . Enjoy your day everyone and keep yourselves cool 😎 

IMG_4189.jpeg

IMG_4191.jpeg

IMG_4195.jpeg

IMG_4201.jpeg

IMG_4202.jpeg

IMG_4203.jpeg

IMG_4204.jpeg

IMG_4208.jpeg

IMG_4209.jpeg

IMG_4210.jpeg

IMG_4218.jpeg

IMG_4221.jpeg

IMG_4225.jpeg

IMG_4227.jpeg

IMG_4229.jpeg

IMG_4230.jpeg

IMG_4233.jpeg

IMG_4238.jpeg

IMG_4240.jpeg

IMG_4243.jpeg

IMG_4244.jpeg

IMG_4245.jpeg

IMG_4247.jpeg

IMG_4250.jpeg

IMG_4251.jpeg

Fantastic photos.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon everyone. Just thought I would come out of my " lurking cabin" . We are just arrived to our favourite Hotel down here in Sidmouth Devon .(We travelled down yesterday & stayed in a Holiday inn Taunton( had to slum it overnight) as we didn't want to spend half a day travelling. We are here again for a short break to celebrate our wedd/anniversary 42 yrs. It is 21* sunny but overcast, we left 32* back in Kent yesterday. Great to be welcomed back again, we were here last newyear. The staff here are first class, food excellent, it is just to nice to be looked after. Hopefully will post some pictures later, and from our planned river cruise from Exmouth tomorrow.

• Like 17

3 hours ago, Angel57 said:

@Adawn47 - how are you and Frank doing Avril? I haven’t seen you post for a while……

We're both fine(ish) Gill, thank you. Frank is having some mobility issues at the moment and I'm having to help him more than normal.  The heat has been affecting me and as a result I'm not sleeping much, about  three or four hours a night so I'm a little down at the moment and don't feel like posting much. I've  been reading all the posts and reacting, it helps me through the day. I'll bounce back, I always do.🙂

A bit of an odd day of mixed emotions for us today. Frank's 78th birthday and the anniversary of his Mum's death. 

Have a good day all whether on land or sea.

Avril

• Like 30

24 minutes ago, Grumpycruiser60plus said:

Good afternoon everyone. Just thought I would come out of my " lurking cabin" . We are just arrived to our favourite Hotel down here in Sidmouth Devon .(We travelled down yesterday & stayed in a Holiday inn Taunton( had to slum it overnight) as we didn't want to spend half a day travelling. We are here again for a short break to celebrate our wedd/anniversary 42 yrs. It is 21* sunny but overcast, we left 32* back in Kent yesterday. Great to be welcomed back again, we were here last newyear. The staff here are first class, food excellent, it is just to nice to be looked after. Hopefully will post some pictures later, and from our planned river cruise from Exmouth tomorrow.

1981 must have been a good year for marriages -we had our 42nd wedding anniversary last month, and @grapau27 also celebrated his 42nd anniversary last month.

it’s a much more comfortable 25c in Kent at the moment 

enjoy your break 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

We're both fine(ish) Gill, thank you. Frank is having some mobility issues at the moment and I'm having to help him more than normal.  The heat has been affecting me and as a result I'm not sleeping much, about  three or four hours a night so I'm a little down at the moment and don't feel like posting much. I've  been reading all the posts and reacting, it helps me through the day. I'll bounce back, I always do.🙂

A bit of an odd day of mixed emotions for us today. Frank's 78th birthday and the anniversary of his Mum's death. 

Have a good day all whether on land or sea.

Avril

Sorry to hear you're a bit low Avril. Thankfully it looks as though the temperatures are dropping this week and the relief of some sleep should come soon. I hope poor Frank regains his normal mobility and you both get your bounceability back. Take good care both. Best wishes. Jane xx

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

1981 must have been a good year for marriages -we had our 42nd wedding anniversary last month, and @grapau27 also celebrated his 42nd anniversary last month.

it’s a much more comfortable 25c in Kent at the moment 

enjoy your break 

Thank you for the reply.. Yes I have to agree 81, was a good year. Just a few days ago DW was clearing out some old photos/ papers eff from the loft,when she came across her dad's receipts for our wedding venue, grand total just under£1000, for reception of 80+ people. That's sit down3 course meal plus eve buffet. Happy days. 

• Like 8

Sorry folks but 1980 was a good year for us, we are fast approaching our 43rd wedding anniversary in November.

I was amazed that when we went to hospital this morning, I checked in on the screens and as we entered the waiting room my name was just being called so it was straight in and 10 minutes later we were walking back to the car park. 

I now have 4 to 5 weeks waiting for the letter either telling me that I am ok for another year or calling me back for treatment

• Like 15

45 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

Sorry folks but 1980 was a good year for us, we are fast approaching our 43rd wedding anniversary in November.

I was amazed that when we went to hospital this morning, I checked in on the screens and as we entered the waiting room my name was just being called so it was straight in and 10 minutes later we were walking back to the car park. 

I now have 4 to 5 weeks waiting for the letter either telling me that I am ok for another year or calling me back for treatment

Fingers crossed all is for you

Michelle

• Like 7