P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

My turn not to sleep today! To be fair I did get to sleep quickly and didn’t wake up until about 3am but now I can’t get back to sleep! My Dad is worrying me, I think he’s depressed because he’s not driving now. Trouble is he keeps taking himself to bed and leaving my mum which worries me with her falls! Parents - worse than kids for worry!

• Like 10

8 hours ago, Purdey16 said:

Well the other half has done it he ran the Bournemouth super nova 5 k run in 36 minutes, I’m very proud of him tonight after only doing 6 days of actual running, a few weeks prior he was speed walking, and decided to do this on a whim, he was worried of embarrassing himself with puffing and panting but surprised himself with the time, after his first full 5k run , now the rest of the family has said they will sign up for next year 5 or 10 k run , he’s 65 next week and I think he’s having mid life crisis 😂 seriously he got paid to do this years ago but now he’s paying to do it for fun 🤣🤣

Well done to your other half.  I used to enjoy running when I was working and ran 3 times a week with the ladies running club attached to our company athletics club.  Unfortunately I have a knee problem now so I just walk 3 miles a day.

Edited by Josy1953
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, P&O SUE said:

All this talk of jabs - I’ve got my flu one this Tuesday, my employer always provides it but I don’t seem to qualify for the other one this time around.

I believe that the other jab is being rolled out gradually this year according to age.  We had our's 2 weeks ago in the 65 to 70 years old cohort.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, P&O SUE said:

All this talk of jabs - I’ve got my flu one this Tuesday, my employer always provides it but I don’t seem to qualify for the other one this time around.

I don’t qualify either. Had my flu jab on Friday (£16.99) and no sore arm and no side effects. 😀

• Like 4

Good morning all.

Came down this morning to a very strong lingering smell. We had a cheese board last night after dinner with a particularly smelly Camembert and it is still reminding me of its presence even now. I would open the windows but the rain would lash in on me as it’s still hammering down.

Made a roast venison haunch for dinner which is far too large so if anyone has interesting recipes for left overs please share.

• Like 5

17 hours ago, Snow Hill said:

Currently cloudy & 21C here, sun trying to peek thru, due to hit the dizzy heights of 22C this afternoon, will wait and see.

We had our Covid & Flu vaccinations this morning 2 sore arms now went into practice at my booked time of 10:45, out again at 10:55, my GP and 2 practice nurses doing the jabs, nurse said they have almost 250 patients at Covid/Flu Clinic this morning and all have turned up on time. Once again a well organised session. 

Then went into town had a coffee and a muffin, bought a pair of boots in sale reduce from £85 to £27 plus 10% BLC discount. Back home now with 2 sore arms and a headache, probably mixture of vaccine and caffeine! 

An awful nights sleep, kept waking up when I rolled onto my right arm, the flu one, then woke up at 6 soaked in sweat, the nurse did say I might get flu like symptoms, not wrong there. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Snow Hill said:

An awful nights sleep, kept waking up when I rolled onto my right arm, the flu one, then woke up at 6 soaked in sweat, the nurse did say I might get flu like symptoms, not wrong there. 

I feel somewhat unwell after my covid jab and have the flu one tomorrow and a filling on Tuesday.

Still smelling that 'gas'  but funnily i can hardly smell it if I switch on a hob burner and don't light it.

I will contact the emergency number just for peace of mind later this morning.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Angel57 said:

I don’t qualify either. Had my flu jab on Friday (£16.99) and no sore arm and no side effects. 😀

£16.99! luckily my work provides them but I did get a text the other day from my surgery offering me a flu jab but you had to reply yes or no, there was no option to say I’d got it elsewhere! My husband is over 60 but hasn’t had anything from the surgery - I’m under 60 but they offer me it because of my stent.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

£16.99! luckily my work provides them but I did get a text the other day from my surgery offering me a flu jab but you had to reply yes or no, there was no option to say I’d got it elsewhere! My husband is over 60 but hasn’t had anything from the surgery - I’m under 60 but they offer me it because of my stent.

The pharmacy tried to give it to me free by asking if I had any medical issues or a carer but as I said no, I had to pay. Next year I’ll be eligible but knowing my luck, they’ll up the qualifying age to 70…!

Edited by Angel57
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Snow Hill said:

I empathise, mine was exactly the same.

55 minutes ago, Angel57 said:

The pharmacy tried to give it to me free by asking if I had any medical issues or a carer but as I said no, I had to pay. Next year I’ll be eligible but knowing my luck, they’ll up the qualifying age to 70…!

My Mrs got a text weeks ago inviting her to get jabbed ,as for me nowt zilch even though

I qualify due to my health issues.

I ended up ringing them up and have now had my invite sent.

They had no idea why it had been failed to be sent out.

Maybe their IT system thought I was far too young 🙃

• Like 6

3 hours ago, davecttr said:

I feel somewhat unwell after my covid jab and have the flu one tomorrow and a filling on Tuesday.

Still smelling that 'gas'  but funnily i can hardly smell it if I switch on a hob burner and don't light it.

I will contact the emergency number just for peace of mind later this morning.

Gas Engineer called and checked everything out, gas pressure, appliances, under floorboards, under the bedroom floorboards where the gas main runs, no gas leaks. He even checked next door as well. Also advised I buy a Co2 detector. As for the odour, it remains a mystery, maybe medical. Boiler engineer tomorrow to service the boiler. 

• Like 14

23 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Gas Engineer called and checked everything out, gas pressure, appliances, under floorboards, under the bedroom floorboards where the gas main runs, no gas leaks. He even checked next door as well. Also advised I buy a Co2 detector. As for the odour, it remains a mystery, maybe medical. Boiler engineer tomorrow to service the boiler. 

Good news Dave.
I have a strong sense of smell with regards to gas. Hubby can’t smell it well! At our old house I could smell gas, he couldn’t. We called the Gas people and opened all the windows. With the windows open I couldn’t smell it anymore, I was beginning to think I was imagining it. Anyway the guy turned up and said we had a very small leak!

• Like 5

@Ilovemygarden. Are you not back home yet? I’ve put this here rather than post on the other thread.

The worst of it is very much now over and it seems to be the usual places which were always prone to flooding which went again, certainly the case here anyway. So if you don’t normally have issues you are not likely to have them now.

Save journey home. Check the roads if you are driving as there are some closures due to flooding and surface water but the worst of it is probably further north than you.

11 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

@Ilovemygarden. Are you not back home yet? I’ve put this here rather than post on the other thread.

The worst of it is very much now over and it seems to be the usual places which were always prone to flooding which went again, certainly the case here anyway. So if you don’t normally have issues you are not likely to have them now.

Save journey home. Check the roads if you are driving as there are some closures due to flooding and surface water but the worst of it is probably further north than you.

Thanks Eglesbrech - I came home via coach (the outward journey definitely not to be recommended due to a very old and noisy bus being substituted for the “luxury coach”). The worst of the weather here was yesterday I think with a few local problems.  I haven’t ventured outside yet as I ordered a grocery home delivery from the coach which arrived at noon yesterday (the delivery that is, not the coach!  

• Like 1

Afternoon everyone, hope you are all ok today and for those in Scotland I hope the worst of the weather has passed over.

It is a lovely day here today, I am currently sat out on the patio, unheard of for October.

We have been out for a walk on the beach/seafront this morning with the dogs and called for breakfast at one of our favourite cafes, got eggs Benedict and eggs florentine plus a sausage for the dogs.

Just about to go collect my mum as she is coming for tea. 

Have a nice afternoon everyone 

Michelle

IMG_9569.jpeg

• Like 10

Hi all,just arrived in Como after a stressful day yesterday.100 miles into our journey in the middle of Sila Grande mountains,I got a puncture.Put on one of those Mickey Mouse temporary spares that has never been used.Found it to be almost flat.Limped along at 30mph to the nearest exit 5 miles up the road.We found ourselves climbing up a mountain to any sign of civilisation,saw this Agratourismo (an Italian guesthouse serving local food).The lady phoned a mechanic from the village who turned up within half an hour,took my tyre away and said he'd repair or replace  it,he came back with slightly used replacement and he reflated my spare.He said 30 euro but I gave him 50.I couldn't believe our luck but we arrived in Orvieto at 8.30 plus I left my wheel locking nut adaptor on the hard shoulder.Travelled 350 miles today dreading another puncture and hoping for a local Opel dealer to replace my Vauxhall adaptor in the morning.Good thing though it's 30c at the moment and forecast looking good all the way home.

• Like 12

25 minutes ago, Ilovemygarden said:

Thanks Eglesbrech - I came home via coach (the outward journey definitely not to be recommended due to a very old and noisy bus being substituted for the “luxury coach”). The worst of the weather here was yesterday I think with a few local problems.  I haven’t ventured outside yet as I ordered a grocery home delivery from the coach which arrived at noon yesterday (the delivery that is, not the coach!  

Have you seen the stories about Aberfoyle. The whole bottom of the village is flooded and the water is contaminated with the oil from an overturned fuel lorry. The health board has declared an emergency.

Much of rural Stirlingshire is cut off by flood waters eg Callander to Strathyre.

The Broxden in Perth is under water (and the flood gates are closed in the city) parts of rural Fife are under water and part of the North Coast 500 is flooded with people stranded in caravan parks. There have been land slides in Argyle and they have started using the old military road as it’s the only bit that is passable.

Not been a good weekend. Glad you are home safe and sound.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, brian1 said:

Hi all,just arrived in Como after a stressful day yesterday.100 miles into our journey in the middle of Sila Grande mountains,I got a puncture.Put on one of those Mickey Mouse temporary spares that has never been used.Found it to be almost flat.Limped along at 30mph to the nearest exit 5 miles up the road.We found ourselves climbing up a mountain to any sign of civilisation,saw this Agratourismo (an Italian guesthouse serving local food).The lady phoned a mechanic from the village who turned up within half an hour,took my tyre away and said he'd repair or replace  it,he came back with slightly used replacement and he reflated my spare.He said 30 euro but I gave him 50.I couldn't believe our luck but we arrived in Orvieto at 8.30 plus I left my wheel locking nut adaptor on the hard shoulder.Travelled 350 miles today dreading another puncture and hoping for a local Opel dealer to replace my Vauxhall adaptor in the morning.Good thing though it's 30c at the moment and forecast looking good all the way home.

Sounds horrendous.

Hope you get safe home with no more “events” on the journey.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Peanut006 said:

Afternoon everyone, hope you are all ok today and for those in Scotland I hope the worst of the weather has passed over.

It is a lovely day here today, I am currently sat out on the patio, unheard of for October.

We have been out for a walk on the beach/seafront this morning with the dogs and called for breakfast at one of our favourite cafes, got eggs Benedict and eggs florentine plus a sausage for the dogs.

Just about to go collect my mum as she is coming for tea. 

Have a nice afternoon everyone 

Michelle

IMG_9569.jpeg

Last afternoon in Menorca and it's crowded over. Had a couple of Rennie's during the night. The hotel should have a warning sign.....chocolate fountain and bbq spare ribs.....conflictico.🤣

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Have you seen the stories about Aberfoyle. The whole bottom of the village is flooded and the water is contaminated with the oil from an overturned fuel lorry. The health board has declared an emergency.

Much of rural Stirlingshire is cut off by flood waters eg Callander to Strathyre.

The Broxden in Perth is under water (and the flood gates are closed in the city) parts of rural Fife are under water and part of the North Coast 500 is flooded with people stranded in caravan parks. There have been land slides in Argyle and they have started using the old military road as it’s the only bit that is passable.

Not been a good weekend. Glad you are home safe and sound.

Yes - I believe it is horrendous.  My son lives in a little village near Port of Monteith and said yesterday neighbouring villages were more or less cut off.  

• Like 1