P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

Morning.

It’s been an interesting week here. Mum’s not been good, it took both my sister and I to get her out of bed, bathed and dressed on Tuesday morning. She then had a call from her physio, told her how everything was getting worse and the physio told her to go straight to A&E. 

We spent several hours there with her going through various assessments and she was eventually sent home with a change of pain relief and an order to return if she gets either numbness down below or loss of ‘control’.

Shes got an MRI in two weeks, but doc thinks it’s Spinal Stenosis and at least one slipped disc. My sister and I persuaded her to let us make a temporary bedroom for her in their dining room so we’ve been rearranging furniture and my husband moved the bed downstairs and she’s been relieved to not have to manage the stairs twice a day.

They are going to cancel coming on Britannia with us in May, fortunately not a big deposit to loose.

Five weeks until our Grandson number two is due so we really need mum settled and improving by then or I may end up in a frazzled heap. 🥴 

Sorry to ramble on, that was quite therapeutic getting all that off my chest 😂

• Like 22

11 hours ago, purplesea said:

Things haven't gone to plan this week. I ordered some zips which have arrived but the colours aren't suitable, so was going to take a trip up to Truro to get the ones I need, but had problems with the car.  Plus I been battling with  the hospital to get my MRI results. I have spent a good portion of today trying to find get answers and am not much further forward. Rang several times this morning and left a message,  got a phone call from the doctor, who can't answer my questions regarding my travel insurance, but he did inform me that they would be looking at my scan on Monday and said he would ring me on Monday,🤞 if not for me to ring on Tuesday. We leave home to travel up the the airport on Thursday to join Azura on Friday. Things are not going well!

This is not what you need on the run up to your cruise. Try not to see the whole picture, take a breath and try to deal with one thing at a time. I know it's difficult, but it works for me. I hope you soon get things sorted and you have a wonderful cruise.

Avril

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

Fantastic news! 🎉 How lovely to hear from Frank too 😊

Hope things are getting better for you  looking after your mum .

Edited by kalos
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, happy v said:

Fantastic. Enjoy your weekend.

I feel I should amend that to enjoy your life. As I know at the moment it will feel as if you have been given a new one

Absolutely. Day 1 of a new chapter😊

Avril

• Like 13

10 hours ago, Gettingwarmer said:

Such good news. Glad Frank is back home recovering and that Avril will not have to travel in the awful cold weather next week. Look after each other and rest. 

Frank's certainly resting. He's sleeping like a baby😴

Avril

• Like 14

My own bit of news is essentially good - bp gone down a lot, especially in the morning an hour after taking new tablet, but the bruising or whatever in my left side still painful, but improving gradually.  I am even slower than usual, being careful not to fall again.  I must admit it is a help not having to look after someone else.  Though of course no one to look after me!  Not that I need one.

Avril's  posts just exude her feeling of relief after such a stressful time; really cheering to read.

• Like 15

19 minutes ago, brian1 said:

Hey sis,just googled that Octopus has loads of benefits for ones heart,bro😉

Thanks bro, so kind of you, but if you don't mind I'll pass, and look further🥴

Sis

• Haha 4

9 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Frank's certainly resting. He's sleeping like a baby😴

Avril

Be nice for him to wake up in his own bed without the commotion of the Hozzie 😃

• Like 8

36 minutes ago, lincslady said:

My own bit of news is essentially good - bp gone down a lot, especially in the morning an hour after taking new tablet, but the bruising or whatever in my left side still painful, but improving gradually.  I am even slower than usual, being careful not to fall again.  I must admit it is a help not having to look after someone else.  Though of course no one to look after me!  Not that I need one.

Avril's  posts just exude her feeling of relief after such a stressful time; really cheering to read.

My BIL (79) fell on concrete steps last week.His whole left side is claret and blue but not  too painful.I said don't worry it looks like a West Ham tattoo from a distance.He does support them so he sorta laughed.

• Like 3
  • Haha 8

1 hour ago, brian1 said:

Great deal.We found Cape town good value when on a cruisetour a few years back.That reminds of when we were "stuck" in our hotel in Krakow on Easter Sunday when everywhere was closed.Very similar deal for 4 hrs,don't remember a lot about it,lol.

The Victoria and Alfred Waterfront Complex is incredible. 100 eateries to choose from. 

Some real high quality options at a fraction of the price of UK food and drink

We didn't know where to start or stop!!!

Lol

I can see why so many people say Cape Town is their favourite holiday destination

I think I want to live here!!

Edited by Interestedcruisefan
  • Like 11

45 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

The Victoria and Alfred Waterfront Complex is incredible. 100 eateries to choose from. 

Some real high quality options at a fraction of the price of UK food and drink

We didn't know where to start or stop!!!

Lol

I can see why so many people say Cape Town is their favourite holiday destination

I think I want to live here!!

Also worth a visit is Mama Africa’s restaurant/bar - great entertainment too!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

After ali the Butlins at sea and Benidorm allegations that have been made about P&O recently I wonder what forum members think about the current crop of holiday adds, I am thinking particularly about the On the Beach one.

The latest P&O one is quite appealing, I like the music, and the add is stylish and would interest me in a cruise if I had never had one.

The Jet2 one follows their add theme with the same music and catchy presentation, again it would interest me if I still flew.

TUI, is of course TUI, very family oriented but still appealing to my ideas of a family.

But who are On the Beach trying to appeal to? I certainly would not want to go anywhere that the portrayed family are going, it would definitely spoil my restful start to a holiday if they suddenly burst into the club lounge and locust like devoured everything in the buffet.

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

13 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

A very good evening😊

A very good result from today's procedure and Frank is back home where he belongs. After 15 days of worry he has had his bp tablets and his statin removed, and 1 added. Believe it or not, an iron tablet. He had another echo scan and they have decided against the need for a heart tablet, however regular gentle exercise which is no problem as he's always active,  a  low salt diet, moderate fluids, an echo scan in 6 months and yearly after that. We cannot believe how close we came to losing him and to come home with only an iron tablet.

Avril xx

I want to thank all the wonderful people who have sent me best wishes and prayers via Av. She has read me every one and I am overwhelmed by the kindness, help and advice from people we have never met. I am grateful for all the support you gave Av because I know it kept her going when things got a bit 'hairy' 

You're a great bunch.

Frank

I’m so glad Frank is back home where he belongs with nothing more than an iron tablet. If he finds the iron tablets a bit hard to tolerate then a good alternative is Floradix liquid iron which is much kinder on the tummy.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

But who are On the Beach trying to appeal to? I certainly would not want to go anywhere that the portrayed family are going, it would definitely spoil my restful start to a holiday if they suddenly burst into the club lounge and locust like devoured everything in the buffet.

Ooooh word for word what we have said Terrierjohn .    I like kids but when that boy runs on I cringe.   I wonder if it was done on purpose.. kind of reverse advertising.. after all we are talking about it.  (I know what I mean 🙃)

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

After ali the Butlins at sea and Benidorm allegations that have been made about P&O recently I wonder what forum members think about the current crop of holiday adds, I am thinking particularly about the On the Beach one.

The latest P&O one is quite appealing, I like the music, and the add is stylish and would interest me in a cruise if I had never had one.

The Jet2 one follows their add theme with the same music and catchy presentation, again it would interest me if I still flew.

TUI, is of course TUI, very family oriented but still appealing to my ideas of a family.

On The Beach advert is a weird one ? Maybe they are trying to capture those supposedly

family's we read about on here who's kids run mayhem around the ship ,whilst Mum and 

partner maybe dad gets drunk in a bar ,before heading off to the buffet and seeing who can 

make and eat the most chip butty's in ten minutes.  They say there's a holiday for everyone ?

As for the the ships being called "Butlins at sea"  ?  Can anyone tell me the boarding times 

at Skeggy and where they sail to ?  🤔  Thought not .🙂 

• Like 7

46 minutes ago, lancashire_cruisers said:

I’m so glad Frank is back home where he belongs with nothing more than an iron tablet. If he finds the iron tablets a bit hard to tolerate then a good alternative is Floradix liquid iron which is much kinder on the tummy.

Thank you, but they've doubled up on his Omeprazole. He's had those iron tablets before, but not  such a high strength. The only problem it causes him is constipation.

Avril

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Thank you, but they've doubled up on his Omeprazole. He's had those iron tablets before, but not  such a high strength. The only problem it causes him is constipation.

Avril

Should be able to ask DR for Movicol  or equivalent and use as required ?

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Avril

I get that with my treatment. I use dulcoease as is a softener rather than a laxative so kinder on the stomach. I am glad he is back home and all is well.

• Thanks 1

I share peoples’ thoughts about the on the beach adverts and wonder whether they did any research on the demographic of the families they appear to be aimed at. I just hope there are few similar actual families and that I manage to steer clear of them. I certainly wouldn’t use the company to handle any booking for me. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, SarahHben said:

Morning.

It’s been an interesting week here. Mum’s not been good, it took both my sister and I to get her out of bed, bathed and dressed on Tuesday morning. She then had a call from her physio, told her how everything was getting worse and the physio told her to go straight to A&E. 

We spent several hours there with her going through various assessments and she was eventually sent home with a change of pain relief and an order to return if she gets either numbness down below or loss of ‘control’.

Shes got an MRI in two weeks, but doc thinks it’s Spinal Stenosis and at least one slipped disc. My sister and I persuaded her to let us make a temporary bedroom for her in their dining room so we’ve been rearranging furniture and my husband moved the bed downstairs and she’s been relieved to not have to manage the stairs twice a day.

They are going to cancel coming on Britannia with us in May, fortunately not a big deposit to loose.

Five weeks until our Grandson number two is due so we really need mum settled and improving by then or I may end up in a frazzled heap. 🥴 

Sorry to ramble on, that was quite therapeutic getting all that off my chest 😂

Sorry to hear about your Mum. Hope she doesn't have to wait long for her MRI results so then can get things sorted.

As others have said ramble away. It helps!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

DW said " if that was my kid, I'd leave him in kennels " the P&O one is OK and the Cunard one OK if you like that kind of cruise. Haven was better last year, but I don't really watch them.🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, kalos said:

On The Beach advert is a weird one ? Maybe they are trying to capture those supposedly

family's we read about on here who's kids run mayhem around the ship ,whilst Mum and 

partner maybe dad gets drunk in a bar ,before heading off to the buffet and seeing who can 

make and eat the most chip butty's in ten minutes.  They say there's a holiday for everyone ?

As for the the ships being called "Butlins at sea"  ?  Can anyone tell me the boarding times 

at Skeggy and where they sail to ?  🤔  Thought not .🙂 

Apparently the most memorable adverts are also the most annoying.  .. I reeeeealy want to make a spaceship out of the washing up liquid bottle..🚀

• Like 1
  • Haha 9