P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

Been a warm day, up to 25C if the gauge in the car is be believed, it did feel much warmer than yesterday.

I strimmed the bank that runs alongside our drive this morning as there were numerous dandelions which would have burst forth with millions of its feathery seeds in the next few days, already have enough, don’t need anymore. I noticed the Holly self seeders have shot up in the last few days, it’s a prickly problem removing them.😉

Too hot work in the greenhouse, so decided to paint the side door to the garage as it’s been 3 years since it was done and the paint has deteriorated, a few other odd jobs done around the garden.

• Like 10

Posted (edited)

Have been watching the spectacular Northern Lights, they were viewable from my patio even though we had hazy skies. Went all the way to Northern Norway in 2019, never saw them.

20240510_234317_Original.jpeg

20240510_234247_Original.jpeg

IMG_20240510_234951_790_Original.jpeg

IMG_20240510_234951_835_Original.jpeg

IMG_20240510_234951_750_Original.jpeg

Edited by Snow Hill
  • Like 13

DamianG if you are looking at a land based holiday in the Cadiz area, think about flights to Gibraltar. You could pick up a hire car, drive up the Costa de la Luz to Cadiz, Jerez and the inland pueblos blanches. Fabulous holiday area!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Morning ,up and early as I felt hot.So decided to open bedroom window ,only 

to be serenaded by a host of blackbirds and wood pidgeon's .

So now up to a lovely sunrise and a cuppa .

I would have liked to see the northern lights but the closest we get is looking 

at the fantastic array of changing colours  that light our night sky from  the solar 

lights that light up a few nearby gardens to us .🤔

Have a great day and take care 🙂

• Like 10

Morning all,woke up to photos from everyone round here of the NL.Gutted,they were better than the ones we saw from the plane approaching Fairbanks Alaska at 1 in the morning,lol.There's a faint chance tonight though.

• Like 8

Morning all.  The sun has got his hat on, and I Wordled in 2.  Very good start to the day!

We didn’t stay up to look for the northern lights - I’ve read Day of the Triffids 🌱 - but I’ve enjoyed looking at the hundreds of pictures this morning

It’s Walking Week here, with lots of various events.  We’re going on a guided walk of the water meadows this afternoon, followed by pub supper

Have a lovely day everyone, especially those who’ve been poorly, or have poorly rellies 

• Like 12

1 hour ago, brian1 said:

Morning all,woke up to photos from everyone round here of the NL.Gutted,they were better than the ones we saw from the plane approaching Fairbanks Alaska at 1 in the morning,lol.There's a faint chance tonight though.

Your not on your own , Mrs K has got up to find her phone full of N L photos taken 

by friends and family around where we live .

She is too gutted that we went to bed 11-ish and not stayed up another hour to 

see them .😅

• Like 9

Morning all, 

I too am disappointed to have missed the NL as looking through my phone this morning they were even visable here😲 There are some really nice photos locally too. 

A trip out to Tesco in a little while and then heading over to my daughter's as she's having a BBQ later this afternoon. 

Enjoy your weekend.

• Like 8

17 hours ago, DamianG said:

I understand folks wanting new ports to visit and we do too but we never tire of Cadiz. Despite having a constant flow of cruise ship visitors it retains its Spanish seaside charm without being “touristy”. 

We hope to visit for a land based holiday sometime in the future with getting there being part of the adventure (given the lack of direct flights from the UK).

You've talked me into it Damian.Although not being a Tio Pepe kinda geezer,Jerez sounds good and a lot nearer.Half a day in each I think,cheers,Brian.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, brian1 said:

You've talked me into it Damian.Although not being a Tio Pepe kinda geezer,Jerez sounds good and a lot nearer.Half a day in each I think,cheers,Brian.

The Alcazar in Jerez is well worth looking around. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for all the comments, we've been to Sevilla and Jerez before, both really enjoyable and thoroughly recommended. And yes, we did the Tio Pepe tour!

If we ever do plan our adventure to Cadiz there are lots of interesting travel options, such as fly from Leeds to Faro then catch a direct bus!

One day Rodney, one day....

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

On 5/9/2024 at 12:05 PM, brian1 said:

LOL,I realised that too late last week,didn't even bother to research trains from Liverpool st.Plus we only pay from zone 6 having a London freedom pass.We live 2 stops from Upminster in Hornchurch.My OH took her brother to Reading yesterday, just changing at Whitechapel, for a day out.That journey didn't cost a penny.

My boss and a colleague I've known for 17 years also live in Hornchurch. Small world.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Snow Hill said:

Have been watching the spectacular Northern Lights, they were viewable from my patio even though we had hazy skies. Went all the way to Northern Norway in 2019, never saw them.

20240510_234317_Original.jpeg

20240510_234247_Original.jpeg

IMG_20240510_234951_790_Original.jpeg

IMG_20240510_234951_835_Original.jpeg

IMG_20240510_234951_750_Original.jpeg

Beautiful photos.  I met up with a friend for an early coffee this morning  and she showed me some pics that she took last night about 2 miles from us and told me that she had taken looking in our direction but I forgot all about them and went to bed early so didn't get to see them.  I have just heard that they could be visible again tonight do hopefully we will get to see them tonight.  We have done 2 Northern Lights cruises and not seen them so I  have set an alarm on my phone to remind me tonight 🤞🤞

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, DamianG said:

If we ever do plan our adventure to Cadiz there are lots of interesting travel options, such as fly from Leeds to Faro then catch a direct bus!

One day Rodney, one day....

Now they are relaunching DSA  hopefully next year ,you may drop lucky with 

some promo flights if they take that route on .

The best ones we dropped on were to Ireland £8 return to Shannon and a bargain

£2 return to Dublin , the latter was cheaper than our bus into town 😮

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

A beautiful sunny morning here already 17° and forecast to get up to 22° this afternoon so I won't need to take my jacket for bowling this afternoon.  We are playing at home today I will probably walk down to the club as it is only just under 2 miles away though it is all uphill coming home.

• Like 7

We went to bed just after half ten last night. Then hubby's phone started beeping. Son was at the coast and could see the Aurora.

I lay a while then got up to see if daughter wanted us to sit with granddaughter so she could go to beach. Offer was declined, back to bed.

Phone started again. Son was back and the lights were better at home. Got up again. Wow. The sky was red to purple all over. Our three families were sending photos back and forth.

These lasted much longer and were far more intense than on our Northern Lights cruise, and we had good sightings then.

Good luck to everyone checking tonight 

• Like 12

46 minutes ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

I'm annoyed that I didn't know about the expected Northern Lights last night. I watch quite a lot of News and Weather forecasts during the day and I didn't hear anything about it.

FB_IMG_1715428277216.jpg.4cc80eba2c1427a463669ca282a5eae2.jpg

My mate Barry said he got a good view of our Northern Lights as he left the Red Lion 

Pub last night ..Sent me this photo 😉😆

FB_IMG_1715428751622.jpg.3018930ce52109fb5c2ad8b9ee7d9e9a.jpg

• Haha 17

5 hours ago, Eddie99 said:

Morning all.  The sun has got his hat on, and I Wordled in 2.  Very good start to the day!

We didn’t stay up to look for the northern lights - I’ve read Day of the Triffids 🌱 - but I’ve enjoyed looking at the hundreds of pictures this morning

It’s Walking Week here, with lots of various events.  We’re going on a guided walk of the water meadows this afternoon, followed by pub supper

Have a lovely day everyone, especially those who’ve been poorly, or have poorly rellies 

Funnily enough dh mentioned Day of the triffids while we where watching last night 🤣

• Haha 5

Just a heads up to anybody that is thinking of parking at west quay multi storey car park for their cruise, half of it has been closed off for the past 2 weeks don’t know how long this is going to be for.

• Like 1