P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

36 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Great news Josy.

I have been watching my messages for days on my phone in anticipation of my vaccine invite.

I clicked on straight away today and had 5 choices,the first one was fully booked so I grabbed the second choice immediately.

Next Thursday will be 10 weeks and 1 day from my first Pfizer jab.

Great news that you are getting it early.  David also had Pfizer.  The UK are definitely doing well with the roll out.  When I do my stewarding shifts at the vaccine centre people seem to be really happy to be getting their vaccines.  

Edited by Josy1953
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Snow Hill said:

I think self contained accommodation is currently your only option.

It won’t be until after 17 May at the earliest that you can go into peoples homes, meeting in the garden is the only visiting option in England. 

Thanks - it’s the same in Scotland so my friends can’t visit me yet unless they stay in Airbnb or the like

Our restaurants etc are finally able to open today but with very restricted hours (and no alcohol!) inside. Many aren’t bothering to open yet which I can understand 

Good morning on this fairly  pleasant day . I should take delivery of a new parasol base

today  and the last time I bought anything for the garden sun related it rained for forty days

and forty nights I think. So if it's cool ,you can blame me:classic_unsure:

Yesterday we took our car and put £25 of fuel into it and we cannot honestly remember the 

last time we did that ,was it this year or last ? Who knows but then again the car hasn't done 

400 miles since last October:classic_ohmy: All that money we must have saved doing nothing .

Which reminds me ,months ago when I was telling people about my smart-ish  phone that 

also saves me money simply as I don't use it much, has still got credit from last year. I wonder

if I  can get to the end of this year without topping it up ? :classic_unsure: I wonder what we will spend our

money on when all this lot is over . I wish my Granddad was alive he would have known what

to do. I remember him telling me once when I was considering buying a Hi-Fi  system ,he said

"Kalos ,make sure it come with big loud speakers !"  That was sound advice :classic_wink:

Anyway whether your going out /staying in /getting jabbed or jabbing someone make sure 

you all have a great day and keep safe :classic_love:

• Like 12

It's a cool and wet 7°C here with rain forecast for most of the day.

Pauline has  been busy working from home since 7.30am.

A couple of customers rang yesterday wanting me to call today to pick up cash and place another order ☹️🌧️.

I hope everyone is staying safe and getting invites for their second vaccine jabs.

Best wishes to Andy and Michelle I hope they are both well.

Take care friends.

Graham.

• Like 4

Sound advice indeed kalos 🎶 

Good morning - another bright, sunny day with a surprising cutting wind.  Hope everyone is well and feeling positive 

We’re off to the coast today - last dog walk on the main beach before the (perfectly appropriate) dog ban comes in on May 1, until 30 September.  It feels like layered clothing will be the way to go

Have a good day all

• Like 4

Morning everyone, it’s a cloudy day here today. Nothing much planned except the gym this afternoon, I might bake this morning and take my mum some round and have coffee with her. There is a man who goes to my gym who is 89 today, he is amazing and goes to the gym five times a week

Michelle

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

A couple of customers rang yesterday wanting me to call today to pick up cash and place another order ☹️🌧️.

I hope everyone is staying safe and getting invites for their second vaccine jabs.

Take care friends.

Graham.

Cool here but the overnight rain seems to have passed us bye, the garden could certainly use some but not much in the forecast.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Take care friends.

Graham.

It must be very reassuring for your clients having you as an accessible contact - it’s good to know that some companies still provide a personal service. I have been really fed up with some ‘big’ names in the last few weeks - it’s been almost impossible to get hold of anybody on the phone, emails are automatically acknowledged but there’s no follow-up and ‘promises’ are broken left, right and centre. I am willing to allow some slack due to the pandemic, but there’s a lot of sheer incompetence about too!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

It must be very reassuring for your clients having you as an accessible contact - it’s good to know that some companies still provide a personal service. I have been really fed up with some ‘big’ names in the last few weeks - it’s been almost impossible to get hold of anybody on the phone, emails are automatically acknowledged but there’s no follow-up and ‘promises’ are broken left, right and centre. I am willing to allow some slack due to the pandemic, but there’s a lot of sheer incompetence about too!

Thanks.

I personally  opened accounts with over 400 convenience stores and serviced most of them for 21 years in my area so my customers have known me for a long time.

Unlike supermarkets lots of the owners and their customers are not wearing masks so I have rarely called personally which I prefer to do normally but during the lockdowns I have phoned a lot instead or they have rang their own orders into the company.

Graham.

37 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Thanks.

I personally  opened accounts with over 400 convenience stores and serviced most of them for 21 years in my area so my customers have known me for a long time.

Unlike supermarkets lots of the owners and their customers are not wearing masks so I have rarely called personally which I prefer to do normally but during the lockdowns I have phoned a lot instead or they have rang their own orders into the company.

Graham.

The personal touch pays off! As a matter of interest, why aren’t they wearing masks?

• Like 1

Off to the fang farrier for me today.  At least they're seeing people now before pain sets in.  Last year I did the right thing and waited till I was in pain.  Ended up with an infection which had to be treated with anti-biotics before the lovely Julia could pull the tooth.  Hopefully this one can be fixed.

Followed by off to the novelty shop to get tacky banners and decs for The Ole Lady's 60th next month.  Luckily she's away seeing her sisters at the moment.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Ardennais said:

The personal touch pays off! As a matter of interest, why aren’t they wearing masks?

Independent retailers can't afford to or are reluctant to enforce mask wearing among their customers in case of reprisals or the customers go elsewhere.

Very few of the owners are wearing masks they mainly stand behind their plastic screens at the tills.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Independent retailers can't afford to or are reluctant to enforce mask wearing among their customers in case of reprisals or the customers go elsewhere.

Very few of the owners are wearing masks they mainly stand behind their plastic screens at the tills.

I can understand the owners not wearing masks as they’re behind a screen. But there’s no excuse really for not insisting that customers are wearing masks. The independent retailers around here as extremely strict which is how it should be with so many visitors around. Anyway, you’re wise not to visit in person!

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

I can understand the owners not wearing masks as they’re behind a screen. But there’s no excuse really for not insisting that customers are wearing masks. The independent retailers around here as extremely strict which is how it should be with so many visitors around. Anyway, you’re wise not to visit in person!

A couple of retailers said when they refused entry without a mask they were threatened and one got a brick through his window.

Most live above the shop so I can understand their fears.

Most do put signs up about wearing masks but admit they are powerless if people refuse.

3 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

A couple of retailers said when they refused entry without a mask they were threatened and one got a brick through his window.

Most live above the shop so I can understand their fears.

Most do put signs up about wearing masks but admit they are powerless if people refuse.

That really is terrible for them. I suppose that sort of thing wouldn’t happen around here, or rarely happen anyway. But it does make you wonder whether we’ll ever get this virus under control. A friend of ours has a few static caravans and the owners were down here last weekend. He said that one owner from Leicester had been dreaming over the winter of spending time in the caravan and was thankful of being able to escape to the country at last. But that he was also concerned at the low vaccine take-up among particular communities in his neighbourhood and was quite fearful of the consequences. 

• Like 2

On 4/26/2021 at 11:15 AM, gadabout60 said:

Cross border travel is confusing me. I’m back in Scotland but want to visit friends in England. But I don’t think I can stay with them yet - nor go in their homes! Most hotels are still closed so am I right that I’d have to find self catering accommodation? Or have I missed something?

Premier Inns and Travel Lodges are open. Probably some of the other big chains like Holiday Inn as well.

We’re back from our seaside trip.  The weather improved greatly with the wind dropping appreciably 

Five liners in Weymouth Bay today.  A Queen, Britannia, I think Aurora or Arcadia, ?a Princess and another tucked into Portland harbour which might have been RCI or something - pretty big.

Some pics 

720F0235-2E61-4639-BDE9-85DBDF20BB42.jpeg

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Eddie99 said:

If anyone would be kind enough to tell me the trick so I can get a line or two space between pics, I’d be grateful x

Once first pic is posted hit space twice below the photo as if you were going to write something .

Glad you had a nice day .:classic_smile:

• Like 1