P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

The last family holiday before lockdowns included a trip to Harry Potter World near Watford.  Children absolutely loved it.  My wife made our grandson a Cloak of Invisibility afterwards.

Four year old Charlie, after initial excitement but now deeply disappointed:

”Granny, it doesn’t work!”

Should have bought the genuine article?  🙄

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

I see no problem with weather reports - the title of this thread is ‘what’s things like where you are’ !! Hey ho...

I didn’t say there was a problem with them, just that I’m not really interested! Big difference.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, grapau27 said:

I appreciate there is a lot of diversity in this thread with Covid19 which is fine but because the thread is called

'What are things like where you are'

reporting daily weather and excursions and run of the mill daily activities is basically staying on topic.

7°C and sunny again this morning.

We are getting ready to go to church then we will drive 1 mile to McDonald's drive thru for a snack and coffee to take to the beach car park a mile away from McDonald's to enjoy a view of the sea which makes us feel like we are sitting on our ship's balcony looking out to sea.

Hope everyone has a nice day and best wishes for Wowzz wife for her second vaccine jab tomorrow.

Graham.

Exactly, and I didn’t say any different. People can post whatever they like! 

• Like 1

Talking about the weather, and cats, and food and drink

Weather  - 4 degrees with the wind chill here in sunny North Kent which leads to

Cats - Have been Stalag Lufting the roof of my shed (cat sunbathing spot) and thought  the cats might not see the not electrified wire so decided to wrap white string around it, considerate of me, however too darn cold to be clambering about at a great height today.

Food - been eating too much food and have put on over a stone since xmas, my diabetic nurse will go ballistic, in a nice way of course. So back to the diet, once I have eaten the steak I have for dinner today.

Drink - Not been sleeping well for months and just discovered half a bottle of wine in the evening has me sleeping from 11pm to about 7am, not sure if this is a good idea long term.

Otherwise I am bored but have lots to do, this lockdown is proving to be a lot harder than the first one. Think I will have a cup of tea and a hot cross bun, got to get rid of them! The good news is the buses have reverted to their normal timetable.

• Like 10

2 hours ago, Eddie99 said:

Bring back smoking on balconies!  💥 

🤣🤣🤣

Eddie, could you really go back to those days when you just settle on the balcony with your 6am coffee and a fag, and next door's balcony door opens. The fake coughs, the chats of "I didn't pay £67, 595.50 (or whatever the price of the day is), just to be poisoned by my neighbour. I'm going to demand to be moved", followed by the slamming of said door! 

I much prefer the Pariah areas where everyone gathers together to kill themselves - with good humour of course. I've met  and made some great friends in the smoking areas on board ship. I'm only a trivial smoker myself but the company's good, especially if you're travelling alone. Jane.x

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Good point.  Just out of curiosity, anyone know what line they’re taking on the round Britain cruises? 

Anything that fits Harry - or rather anything that fits after my immediate and urgent diet! Jane.x

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

You guessed it was a joke Jane 🙂

We did a few cruises before the ban, so I do remember.  No smoke now - early morning phlegm-rattling sometimes!

Now, did I ever tell you about the next-door-balcony-neighbour with the harmonica habit ... 🥴

Edited by Eddie99
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Beckett said:

Eddie, could you really go back to those days when you just settle on the balcony with your 6am coffee and a fag, and next door's balcony door opens. The fake coughs, the chats of "I didn't pay £67, 595.50 (or whatever the price of the day is), just to be poisoned by my neighbour. I'm going to demand to be moved", followed by the slamming of said door! 

I much prefer the Pariah areas where everyone gathers together to kill themselves - with good humour of course. I've met  and made some great friends in the smoking areas on board ship. I'm only a trivial smoker myself but the company's good, especially if you're travelling alone. Jane.x

It's 43 years since I packed in smoking at aged 21.

I remember the old days of buying 200 cigarette's on the plane and sitting on my hotel balcony in Spain aged 14 with a fag in one hand and a bottle of San Miguel in the other hand.

Happy days.😎😂

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Beckett said:

I can imagine it now, groups of smokers on deck coughing their way through a pack of fags while complaining about unvaccinated people on cruise ships😁 see how I put the smiley in so people will know I am jesting😈

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Great post Jane.

I think we will all look forward to hearing from you on your cruise.

You could start your own thread if you wanted called 'Live from Virtuosa'.

These live from threads are popular on RCG forums and would be about you and your photos and posts will be on Topic.

Graham.

That's a brilliant idea Graham and, as I'll have two tech savvies with me, it won't take a whole week to work out how to do it. Thanks for a great suggestion. Jane.x

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

🤔

Don’t know

Deleted post?

Immediately before mine, kalos relayed bad news about a friend dying in his sleep aged 62

Also made points about perspective etc

30 minutes ago, Beckett said:

Thanks Eddie. J.x

Yep that's all I posted (but must have offended the mods:classic_unsure: ) went onto say life's to short to 

be falling out on here and thanking Jane for this mornings thought post . It was an old workmate that died , Hadn't seen him in ages due to my illness and lockdown . Never will now .

Anyway onwards and lets hope our posters return soon :classic_smile:

Even these two :classic_wink:

saysaysay.jpg.8022fc4e80576d78deea0abe3625d429.jpg

Edited by kalos
  • Like 8

47 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Your views are always welcome, John - all views are welcome.  It would be a pretty boring discussion if everyone agreed on everything.  One of the best long term friendships we ever made cruising started off with a pretty heated dinner table discussion as to whether the public still trusted banks - he was a retired bank manager.

As to Johnson (the usual surname, rather than the very carefully cultivated 'Boris') he's rarely been accused in these forums of deliberate wrong decisions.  Usually just incompetence, muddle, delay, and in the early days spending far too much time on his divorce instead of attending vital Cobra meeting on the upcoming pandemic.

It's gone rather further than that lately, though, with the latest Opinium Poll showing that around 37% of voters describe Johnson as mostly or completely corrupt, compared with 31% who say he is clean and honest. Even more – 38% – say the Conservative party as a whole is corrupt with just 31% saying it is clean and honest.

...and yet despite all that Harry, Politico polls of polls has the conservatives on 43% and labour on 34%, and YouGov has Boris Johnson as the 2nd most popular conservative PM ever. 

You will forgive me if I take great pleasure  in the discomfort this must bring to a great many.😉😇

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I think it's time to move on we all have different perspective's don't we :classic_smile:

Life is all about perspective if you think about it .
The sinking of the Titanic was a miracle to the lobsters in the ship's kitchen.:classic_unsure:

To keep people like Graham off trampolines and for all you looking for something

new like a takeaway , now everyone likes a takeaway (apart from Avril:classic_wink:)

Here's a new idea "Take away reviews ." This one's not too far away from John up 

in west Yorkshire :classic_love: Huddersfield here we come !  Enjoy ....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

...and yet despite all that Harry, Politico polls of polls has the conservatives on 43% and labour on 34%, and YouGov has Boris Johnson as the 2nd most popular conservative PM ever. 

You will forgive me if I take great pleasure  in the discomfort this must bring to a great many.😉😇

Incredible, isn’t it John? Trump was also an untrustworthy liar, and he had quite a following too. The stench of corruption yet again in the Conservative Party does hang around for quite some time, though, as before, and things change.

I’m not tied in any way to Labour, by the way. I’ve voted in the past for various parties, often tactically. I just want to see effective government that isn’t corrupt, and this government is both ineffective and corrupt. The only saving grace is the vaccine programme, and 90% of the credit for that goes to the NHS, which the Conservatives have been running down by financial cuts since 2010.

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

That says rather more about the Labour party than it does about the Tories.

• Like 3

I would like to thank all of you that wished us a Happy Anniversary yesterday. It was nice to have my daughter and husband round for a BBQ although it was really too windy to do so. We had a pleasant afternoon in the garden and stayed out there until about 8pm wrapped up in coats and blankets and the fire pit lit until we had had enough of sitting out being smoked!!   Hopefully later on in the year we will be able to have a BBQ with the rest of the family around without any wind.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Screenshot_20210425_092321.jpg

The alcohol level in a decent red means it will not freeze totally and you end up with slightly watery ice cubes which then drench the unwary when removed. Ice bags work better. Good to add to spag Bol or sauces.

In our house it would be what’s left over white?🍾

• Like 2