P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

Freedom beckons tomorrow as our shops open for the first time since Christmas Eve. The whole country moves into level 3 (data says it should be lower but level 3 we get). 

Hospitality is also permitted opening but for lots of places it is really not worth their while with the raft of restrictions in place so many are waiting for 17 May. We don’t have many outdoor areas here as they would be cold, wet and empty for most of the year.

A (very small) step forward at least.

• Like 11

On ‎4‎/‎23‎/‎2021 at 10:59 PM, wowzz said:

This evening we enjoyed a chilled Torre Loco Rosè in the late afternoon sun, followed by a cheap and cheerful Hardy's Varietal red. 

I long ago decided that we all have individual tastes. For example,  I love medium rare liver, but I know others hate it. And I can't imagine swallowing an oyster,  yet others love them.

Just shows that we are all different, in the same ways that some like balcony cabins and others insides. Wanted to bring some cruising relevance back to the discussion, otherwise Zap gets annoyed, especially when the opinions don't coincide with his own.   

Nice to put a face to a name wowzz.I thought you were a Chianti man though.20210425_145259.thumb.jpg.fb4afb002063cf6d39df55116dad8aa7.jpg

• Haha 2

41 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Freedom beckons tomorrow as our shops open for the first time since Christmas Eve. The whole country moves into level 3 (data says it should be lower but level 3 we get). 

Hospitality is also permitted opening but for lots of places it is really not worth their while with the raft of restrictions in place so many are waiting for 17 May. We don’t have many outdoor areas here as they would be cold, wet and empty for most of the year.

A (very small) step forward at least.

Good to hear!  I bet you really appreciate the arrival of Spring and Summer there too after the cold winter months.

This isn't meant to be sad, I try to laugh myself through life, but may I ask 'the possibly less mobile' friends on here a serious question?

As mentioned before I had a terrible accident in Rome on the way to a cruise.  It was possible I might not walk again BUT I did.  It took a while as I have always been a bit of a gadabout, always rushing round' 

Suddenly at Christmas I suffered for a few days and the outcome is that my wonderful mobility I had fought for is lessening  a bit, due to arthritis in the ankle joints.

Yesterday I had a lovely few hours in Rochester but sadly I was nearly in tears getting back to the car.   I have never been a cryer,  whatever life has thrown at me, which has been quite a lot!!!!!  😂and it shocked my family.  I think there may be a  family conference quite soon!!!!

My question is... I am fine indoors walking around but outside is becoming a bit difficult but only sometimes..   If I do get a buggy to save me from pain and distress  at certain times, will I get so used to it that I won't even bother to walk.  I am thinking of the adage "use it or lose it '.  Also  how long does it take to adjust to the situation?

Even I laugh at myself waddling like some old duck on good days!!!!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, indiana123 said:

This isn't meant to be sad, I try to laugh myself through life, but may I ask 'the possibly less mobile' friends on here a serious question?

As mentioned before I had a terrible accident in Rome on the way to a cruise.  It was possible I might not walk again BUT I did.  It took a while as I have always been a bit of a gadabout, always rushing round' 

Suddenly at Christmas I suffered for a few days and the outcome is that my wonderful mobility I had fought for is lessening  a bit, due to arthritis in the ankle joints.

Yesterday I had a lovely few hours in Rochester but sadly I was nearly in tears getting back to the car.   I have never been a cryer,  whatever life has thrown at me, which has been quite a lot!!!!!  😂and it shocked my family.  I think there may be a  family conference quite soon!!!!

My question is... I am fine indoors walking around but outside is becoming a bit difficult but only sometimes..   If I do get a buggy to save me from pain and distress  at certain times, will I get so used to it that I won't even bother to walk.  I am thinking of the adage "use it or lose it '.  Also  how long does it take to adjust to the situation?

If you can take ibuprofen for your arthritis take it.

You can buy straps to go around your knees to make walking easier plus ankle supports.

It is recommended to walk as much as possible otherwise you will get muscle wastage in your quad's (Thigh muscles) and walking will get more difficult.

Ask your GP to get you physio where they will assess you and give you an exercise program.

Good luck.

Graham.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, pete14 said:

Still here in our lovely home from home. Home tomorrow for a few days reality before we come back. 

Great to finally meet Presto and Mrs Presto. Pete jr and I were sitting on our balcony with Charlie milling around and we heard a voice saying ‘is that you Charlie’ (or similar). Being identified through a dog intermediary was a little odd, but in view of the posting anonymity it seemed entirely appropriate and it worked and we can now put faces to names. We can now look forward to sitting outside, and hopefully inside, with drinks in front of us catching up on everything. I do enjoy Brandy and not necessarily out of need 🥴

Hello from sunny Stoke on Trent --- just don't tell me where you are 😉

Made me laugh that lovely Charlie is the one we recognised. Oh well, no need to peep behind net curtains at every passing dog walker now. 

Have to say, am very partial to brandy --- nice with a shot or two of Port as well 😉

Enjoy your break and safe journeys backwards and forwards

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, indiana123 said:

My wife is the wheelchair user, and that was due to a stroke, so her situation will be different to your's Indiana. However over the last 10 years her mobility around the house has deteriorated, which I think is due to a combination of age related weakening, as well as reduced activity.

But if a mobility scooter would enable you to continue to enjoy days out, then I think you should consider getting one, how physically active you remain will depend on how well you cope with the pain of your arthritis.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Exactly what I thought so I have decided not to give it a try.😩

It was nice of you to post the clip of me doing my gymnastics warm up on that red mat though as I am far too modest to have posted my hobby myself 😉

• Like 1

Thank you.

Yes, I think I will think about a buggy at least for days out.

I knew it would turn arthritic due to all the metal nuts, bolts and screws but not this quick.   It's not helped by one nail snapped in half and another small (healed) fracture found recently.. just to go with all the others.  The ankle/leg was originally like a  shattered windscreen.

I am in the middle of loads of physio but its making it very painful and makes me dread it now.

I think I'll try to go back to the original English Consultant who could advise on pain relief.  . Sadly Ibruprofen is not good as I belong to the "Kalos/Graham" heart attack club, albeit a few years ago now!!!!

I was wary of a buggy as I was worried I might rely on it too much before it was necessary, but as TerriorJohn says it will help me on days out.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, indiana123 said:

It is difficult to advise someone you don't know or understand their level of mobility. My MiL has had mobility issues for many years. She did have a scooter for a few years but never seemed to be really happy with it. We then got her a walking frame with wheels, a decent one with large wheels that she could use anywhere, she has used this and her walking stick ever since depending on the conditions. My partner has milder arthritis but loves walking, she wears knee supports for longer distances. We do have a foldable wheelchair for the MiL for when we take her any decent distance as she now has heart problems so cannot go far, she has had one hip replaced and is waiting for the other, sadly her heart, dementia and covid will probably stop this. Sometimes you just have to try things and hope they suit your needs. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

Good to hear!  I bet you really appreciate the arrival of Spring and Summer there too after the cold winter months.

Spring has come with a bang, it is boiling hot here today and has been for a few days. Hospitality opens tomorrow and the rain starts. Typical Scottish weather, but if you don’t like it wait 20 minutes and it will change!

• Like 4

I'm sorry to hear that you've been finding it a bit difficult lately - especially after all the earlier efforts.

Firstly, may I say that I have absolutely no medical knowledge.  Your GP's the best bet for that, obviously, and can make any useful referrals.

I'm commenting only because, for very different reasons, I'm in a rather similar situation.  Because of a rare long-term neuromuscular disease which only came on a couple of years ago I'm finding walking any distance problematic.  The muscles just pack up, and breathlessness also becomes an issue.  Not a problem at all round the house and garden, or for short distances outside, but longer distances involve a lot of stopping and resting on a stick/seat thing I carry around.  I did discuss electric wheelchairs with Terrier John, and actually ended up buying one very much like the one he recommended.

I've had it for a few weeks, but only used it once, because, like you, I want to keep using the muscles for fear of seizing up!  It's there though should I ned it, and it's foldable so that it'll go into the car when needed for a day at the coast, or whatever.

If it's feasible for you, I'd be inclined to consider something sooner rather than later to allow time to acclimatise.  You don't need to use it all the time - perhaps just occasionally when the arthritis plays up.

The other option is a walker, with inbuilt seat - that's my wife's suggestion and she says there are some decent looking ones now.  I've found just one, but all the rest look institutional.  Might try that myself - not sure whether it would be any good for you.

I'm sure others here can give you far better advice than I can.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

The alcohol level in a decent red means it will not freeze totally and you end up with slightly watery ice cubes which then drench the unwary when removed. Ice bags work better. Good to add to spag Bol or sauces.

In our house it would be what’s left over white?🍾

Same here!

• Haha 1

I started using a mobility scooter in 2007 when I was only 41 following surgery on my back which didn’t go as planned. The same year I was diagnosed with MS, which is now secondary progressive. I manage in the house holding onto furniture but I am using a walker more.
A scooter is a great idea for you, you will find days out and holidays much more enjoyable if you are not in pain.

I understand it is a difficult decision to make, I felt embarrassed using one at first but I have only been met with kindness from people.

Think also about the weight of the scooter, can you take it in pieces to go in you car or do you want one that collapses in one piece? I have a hoist in my car that lifts mine for me. 

Hope this helps. I don’t mind answering more questions if I can help 

Michelle

• Like 2

Thank you all,   Some things to think about and consider there.  A small buggy for days out sounds a brilliant idea.

Peanut(😄 sorry to laugh but your name makes me!)  you mentioned kindness.  Well I have been amazed at the kindness of people, both when in a wheelchair,, then a walker, and now just with a stick at present.

I've had people stop their cars to wave me on,  people waving me through, and once outside a 'disreputable' pub.. well known.. all I got was ok darling, and everyone was so kind  .Hope its the same with the buggy and I don't bruise too many shins!!!!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, indiana123 said:

Thank you all,   Some things to think about and consider there.  A small buggy for days out sounds a brilliant idea.

Peanut(😄 sorry to laugh but your name makes me!)  you mentioned kindness.  Well I have been amazed at the kindness of people, both when in a wheelchair,, then a walker, and now just with a stick at present.

I've had people stop their cars to wave me on,  people waving me through, and once outside a 'disreputable' pub.. well known.. all I got was ok darling, and everyone was so kind  .Hope its the same with the buggy and I don't bruise too many shins!!!!

“Peanut” was a nickname my best friends dad gave me when I was about 10 years old and it just stuck 

Michelle 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, indiana123 said:

It's not shins that get in the way , it's more likely to be the backs of ankles, or at least that's the worry my wife has when I am pushing her!!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Peanut006 said:

“Peanut” was a nickname my best friends dad gave me when I was about 10 years old and it just stuck 

Michelle 

My daughter's Father in Law (otherwise known as the Outlaw), has always always signed himself Wingnut.  I didn't know why ...  then I noticed his sticking out ears.   I think he named himself😉

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Presto2 said:

Hello from sunny Stoke on Trent --- just don't tell me where you are 😉

Made me laugh that lovely Charlie is the one we recognised. Oh well, no need to peep behind net curtains at every passing dog walker now. 

Have to say, am very partial to brandy --- nice with a shot or two of Port as well 😉

Enjoy your break and safe journeys backwards and forwards

Presto, just thought you ought to know, the couple in the van behind us are from Clayton.  We are taking over!!! 🙂 

I wouldn’t have anything in brandy. One of the bonuses of P&O is the reasonably priced Courvoisier from room service - cheaper than their duty free. 

1 minute ago, pete14 said:

Presto, just thought you ought to know, the couple in the van behind us are from Clayton.  We are taking over!!! 🙂 

I wouldn’t have anything in brandy. One of the bonuses of P&O is the reasonably priced Courvoisier from room service - cheaper than their duty free. 

Love it --- not too close to where we live or work  either -- ha ha

Re the brandy - am a Martell's fan ........ love it. That is the litre we take on board 😉

Nothing like a nice Martell's and a Graham's Port ........... very nice. It is supposed to be good for you!

6 hours ago, indiana123 said:

Sorry to hear that you’re struggling. This is probably stating the obvious, but you do have a Blue Badge don’t you? My mother is in her mid 70s and has suffered with arthritis since her 30s. She had 2 knee replacements, in 2018 and 2019 and was very reluctant to apply for a Blue badge. But it’s made a huge difference to her quality of life. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

Sorry to hear that you’re struggling. This is probably stating the obvious, but you do have a Blue Badge don’t you?

Yes, it said on the form that you couldn't apply for one for fractures etc  but I applied anyway and got it straight away.  OH says he's only here with me because I' ve got the blue badge😃

Although I am usually a very happy go lucky person, I think its a bit sad that after being together  bun separate houses for 15 years, we decided to share a home.  I was doing so well then this happened.   I think he got the raw deal here. 

Edited by indiana123
  • Like 1

Morning all,

Only in the Mirror, but picked up on Radio 4 this morning:

New pill could "kill" Covid within days and be handed out on NHS, scientists say

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/covid-pill-may-potential-end-23979994

Also in the Telegraph yesterday:

Revealed: How a single pill home cure for Covid could be available this year

Trials of first pill specifically designed to stop SARS-CoV-2 are under way at Pfizer buildings in United States and Belgium

No idea whether there's anything in these stories, but if there is it could be a real game changer.  Some good news to start the day.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

Morning all,

Only in the Mirror, but picked up on Radio 4 this morning:

New pill could "kill" Covid within days and be handed out on NHS, scientists say

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/covid-pill-may-potential-end-23979994

Also in the Telegraph yesterday:

Revealed: How a single pill home cure for Covid could be available this year

Trials of first pill specifically designed to stop SARS-CoV-2 are under way at Pfizer buildings in United States and Belgium

No idea whether there's anything in these stories, but if there is it could be a real game changer.  Some good news to start the day.

Pfizer put out a press release back on March on the start of clinical trials of the drug.

https://www.pfizer.com/news/press-release/press-release-detail/pfizer-initiates-phase-1-study-novel-oral-antiviral

If it works then it will be another scientific triumph on top of the vaccine development. 🤞

• Like 5

Wouldn’t that be grand?  I have to say that science has been as wonderful as politics has been lamentable through this matter

Another lovely day, another day with a large black hole in the diary.  Ho hum.  Roll on the time I’m complaining about too much going on!

• Like 2