P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

3 hours ago, wowzz said:

I'm down there with you Andy. Give me pie and mash over pizza any day.

I quite like Marco's pie on formal ( celebration ) night as long as the fillet isn't too rare. Growing up in London in my youth, the pie and mash shop in tooting market was a place to avoid. Wimpy bar for me.🤣

7 minutes ago, zap99 said:

I quite like Marco's pie on formal ( celebration ) night as long as the fillet isn't too rare. Growing up in London in my youth, the pie and mash shop in tooting market was a place to avoid. Wimpy bar for me.🤣

North Pole cafe for me, up the road in Clapham old town - good old traditional fry ups in the 70s. A wine bar now. The only unchanged place in London I can think of now is the incredible Regency Cafe in Pimlico. Amazing place.

7 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

North Pole cafe for me, up the road in Clapham old town - good old traditional fry ups in the 70s. A wine bar now. The only unchanged place in London I can think of now is the incredible Regency Cafe in Pimlico. Amazing place.

Those were the days. We lived not to far from Clapham South tube. The ABC was the only shop open on Sunday and Lords day observance was in place. Most goods banned from sale and olive oil only available from the chemist in little bottles to put in your ear. As I grew up, my favourite cafe was Sadie's in Station approach at Clapham Junction. Life was less complicated then.

I’ve done a slightly crazy thing - I’ve booked the West Quay Premier Inn on 7th August so we can watch Iona sail out on her maiden voyage 😆😆 Surprised hubby agreed but he did say we should do something before we’re locked down again!

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Those were the days. We lived not to far from Clapham South tube. The ABC was the only shop open on Sunday and Lords day observance was in place. Most goods banned from sale and olive oil only available from the chemist in little bottles to put in your ear. As I grew up, my favourite cafe was Sadie's in Station approach at Clapham Junction. Life was less complicated then.

Great area then! And affordable too, which is why I was there. Nice road, just off Clapham Common North Side, £4.50 pw for a bedsit with garden access. A mate of mine took the other basement bedsit, so for £9 pw in 1970 we had the whole basement of a big old house, with two rooms, kitchen, garden and WC. That house sold recently for £6m, gentrified area.

How in heaven’s name do young people get started anywhere remotely near London now? Even 12 miles out 3-bed semis fetch £600k.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

I’ve done a slightly crazy thing - I’ve booked the West Quay Premier Inn on 7th August so we can watch Iona sail out on her maiden voyage 😆😆 Surprised hubby agreed but he did say we should do something before we’re locked down again!

Sounds like a great idea!

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Sounds like a great idea!

Thanks Harry, we’re only two and a half to three hours from Southampton but as I expect she’ll sail out at 6pm don’t want to drive home after.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, P&O SUE said:

What a lovely idea 😊

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

Thanks Harry, we’re only two and a half to three hours from Southampton but as I expect she’ll sail out at 6pm don’t want to drive home after.

Our second Britannia cruise us in 8th. Perhaps an overnight on 7th is an idea worth investigating.🤔

• Like 2

Thank you everyone for your good wishes and good advice, it much appreciated, my father in-law is hoping he’s going to be up and about in a couple of days and we’re hoping too and things will ease a little for us .

Happy shopping Michelle for you new wet room floor tiles , we just ordered new flooring for our wet room but can’t get it layed until August 5th along with the kitchen floor, but for the rest of the flat it’s August 25 th for the workmen, ordered most of our new furniture and items, just looking for a new living room light now then on to soft furnishings 🤦‍♀️ .

Hope everyone has enjoyed the sunshine this weekend.

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, Purdey16 said:

Thank you everyone for your good wishes and good advice, it much appreciated, my father in-law is hoping he’s going to be up and about in a couple of days and we’re hoping too and things will ease a little for us .

Happy shopping Michelle for you new wet room floor tiles , we just ordered new flooring for our wet room but can’t get it layed until August 5th along with the kitchen floor, but for the rest of the flat it’s August 25 th for the workmen, ordered most of our new furniture and items, just looking for a new living room light now then on to soft furnishings 🤦‍♀️ .

Hope everyone has enjoyed the sunshine this weekend.

Glad things seem a little brighter.

Bit too hot for me today, I sat in the shade but there was no breeze at all. Never happy 😃 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

I’m trying to persuade hubby he’d like a weekend trip to Portsmouth to visit the dockyard  7th/8th and maybe pop across to Southampton Saturday afternoon  😂 I don’t think he’ll agree though 

The Dockyard is fantastic, especially the boat trip around the harbour which is included in the higher price tickets. We got to see Scarlet Lady up close, she is pretty ugly... 

If you come down, have a great time. 

Andy 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

The Dockyard is fantastic, especially the boat trip around the harbour which is included in the higher price tickets. We got to see Scarlet Lady up close, she is pretty ugly... 

If you come down, have a great time. 

Andy 

Thank you, the boat trip sounds a good idea. He certainly wouldn’t travel if I said it was to see Iona, but he’s very interested in naval history and he’s said before that he would love to go to the Dockyard one day so I’m gently dropping hints 😊

Edited by SarahHben
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

You can wave to me and my girls while you're there Sue! We leave on 7th August on Virtuosa. I didn’t realise we'd get to see Iona on the day. So excited!  Jane.x 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, P&O SUE said:

Glad things seem a little brighter.

Bit too hot for me today, I sat in the shade but there was no breeze at all. Never happy 😃 

Way too hot for me - been indoors with air con machine on all day. Just went out early to walk Teddy ( he hates the heat too) but that’s it. No breeze here either Sue. I'm never happy in Summer! Jane.x 

• Like 1

After yesterday's 30°C it was a cooler 20°C today so we got the gardens done.

We had Penne Mozzarella pasta for lunch and some King Prawns in Gregg's stotties later.

As an additional treat I had an Almond Magnum Ice cream.

Graham.

IMG_20210718_134638.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 5

Too nice a day to be inside,  so just watched a recording of the end of the GP. 

Fantastic effort from  SLH, but Charles bottled it, (or is he hoping for a Mercedes seat next year!)

Mr Horner said all the right words,  but given Max's history, he was on a hiding to nothing. 

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Great area then! And affordable too, which is why I was there. Nice road, just off Clapham Common North Side, £4.50 pw for a bedsit with garden access. A mate of mine took the other basement bedsit, so for £9 pw in 1970 we had the whole basement of a big old house, with two rooms, kitchen, garden and WC. That house sold recently for £6m, gentrified area.

How in heaven’s name do young people get started anywhere remotely near London now? Even 12 miles out 3-bed semis fetch £600k.

I contracted for SEGAS based at Acre Lane in the 70s.Daily drive from Dagenham was a mission.Fantastic café in the railway arches behind Clapham North tube.Don't forget the WI bakers that sold the Jamaica patties.Quite spicy for me in those days.

• Like 1

Good morning everyone.

It is partly cloudy and 14°C with a high of 20°C expected.

I have to go out to the bank and to call at a shop but I'm apprehensive and will have my mask on and hope other people do the same.

Graham.

• Like 8

8 hours ago, wowzz said:

Too nice a day to be inside,  so just watched a recording of the end of the GP. 

Fantastic effort from  SLH, but Charles bottled it, (or is he hoping for a Mercedes seat next year!)

Mr Horner said all the right words,  but given Max's history, he was on a hiding to nothing. 

That makes 3 of us in the LH fan club now,Zap,you and me.I watched it live,great entertainment.They forget that in previous races that Lewis was a gent backing off when being run off the track by MV.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, brian1 said:

That makes 3 of us in the LH fan club now,Zap,you and me.I watched it live,great entertainment.They forget that in previous races that Lewis was a gent backing off when being run off the track by MV.

Fantastic drive from LH. Some of these drivers forget their previous incidents when calling out others. I think the penalty was harsh but the stewards couldn't be seen to letting Lewis off scot free. Nice to see good results from Lando again.

• Like 4

Good morning ,hope everyone's happy :classic_smile:

At last we are here ,the day that was cancelled because they were not sure
what we should do but now they are sure that they are not sure we can now
make our own rules up. This will annoy the "but why" brigade who loved
 nothing better than telling us how silly those rules were anyway and will now
 be at a loss without rules. The message is quite clear, you can go out but don't go 
out if you don't need to and remember to wear your mask at all times ,even though 
you don't have to but we would advise extreme caution if you don't. The message is
quite clear from today you must exercise extreme caution and enjoy your new found
freedom and follow the rules that are not there anymore .Should you still be unsure of 
what to do ,consult your horoscope star sign which can be found in most daily  newspapers 
Or to all you sensible people out there ... Have a good day and take care :classic_love:

CHAIN.thumb.jpg.49653dadea3e802cfd3ab9dd5aec0533.jpg

• Like 12
  • Haha 3

50 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

Fantastic drive from LH. Some of these drivers forget their previous incidents when calling out others. I think the penalty was harsh but the stewards couldn't be seen to letting Lewis off scot free. Nice to see good results from Lando again.

4 of us now,great.Quite relieved at the penalty,a 10 second drive thru would have been a disaster.Cheers,Brian.

• Like 2