P&O are still aiming for May cruises to go ahead ???

glittergal1

2 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

It is not what customers want to hear but the current situation is leaving most travel companies with major liquidity problems, and ABTA are looking to provide a way to prevent that happening whilst still giving customers some sort of guarantee that they will receive recompense, eventually.

Its a bit like social distancing, we don't like it but it is essential to prevent the spread engulfing the NHS's ability to cope and come out the other side with the least number of deaths. ABTA's plan is similar, in trying to avoid as many failures as possible, so the travel industry is capable of surviving as well.

I would definitely prefer it wasn't happening, but these are not normal times.

Your comparison with the NHS and social distancing I think  is very inapropriate.

- It is not clear that P and O FCC's are even failure proofed credit notes. I believe a lot of reports are that they have to be used on cruises and no cash back ever. 

- A lot of ABTA members are deliberately misleading their customers by stating they have to accept refund credit notes

- Why would anyone trust ABTA again? The long term reputational damage if they continue with this will be worse than some holiday firms going under in the short term

-  Even if there is a now a "change in law" this will only unleash an unprecidented amount of litigation between customers / suppliers / travel agents / Cruise Lines / Credit Card Companies / ABTA / ATOL / CAA / Trading Standards / possibly judicial review if they try and retrospectively change the law etc

- Why should the customers provide an interest free loan to the travel industry? 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Broadside said:

- Why should the customers provide an interest free loan to the travel industry? 

This is the key point really isn’t it. To say nothing of the excitement of hoping that they don’t go bust in the meantime...

If we do get offered a credit note on a “take it or leave it” basis following a cancelled cruise, presumably we could go down the S75 or chargeback route with our credit card company - goods paid for and not provided...?

Edited by funinhounslow
  • Thanks 1

Just now, funinhounslow said:

If we do get offered a credit note on a “take it or leave it” basis following a cancelled cruise, presumably we could go down the S75 or chargeback route with our credit card company - goods paid for and not provided...?

I am not an expert but I believe we could certainly try.

Also and this is where it gets very very complicated   -   there has been a lot of discussion around whether a chargeback / S75 is still available to use after the customer has made a "new booking" with an FCC or Credit Note. 

Edited by Broadside

Excuse my ignorance, but has anyone yet had a cruise cancelled and been told by P&O categorically, that they will refuse to give a full cash refund. Or, is everyone assuming that because refunds have not been forthcoming so far, they will not ever see their money? Maybe I am missing something, but as this corona virus is all very new, perhaps refunds will start getting paid soon.

1 minute ago, emam said:

Has anyone else seen this advertised to the right of the page on here (CC). Where are going to be able to fly internationally to? Will that make a difference to P&O. 

2877352594533160958.jpeg

It's just the opening of a new terminal. Nothing whatsoever to do with cruises. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, sidekick180 said:

Excuse my ignorance, but has anyone yet had a cruise cancelled and been told by P&O categorically, that they will refuse to give a full cash refund. Or, is everyone assuming that because refunds have not been forthcoming so far, they will not ever see their money? Maybe I am missing something, but as this corona virus is all very new, perhaps refunds will start getting paid soon.

I have seen no evidence that P&O have stated that they will refuse to honour a request for a full refund for a cruise that P&O have cancelled.

I have applied for a refund on our cancelled Aurora cruise and had the brief acknowledgement saying it will be paid within 45 days, and have since received a cancellation invoice (which contained non applicable charges) which indicates to me that the refund process is in motion.

Given the current unprecedented situation I am happy to wait as P&O have a lot of customers to deal with from the cancelled cruises across the fleet.

There seems to be a lot of conjecture that ABTA are seeking rule changes to protect the industry, but there is currently no evidence to indicate that P&O are applying those changes to current cancellations. Whether that will apply to forthcoming cancellations remains to be seen.

On 3/28/2020 at 11:51 AM, jeanlyon said:

This is on this site - stumbled on it while searching

"Carnival will deny boarding to all guests 70 years of age or older unless they have a letter from their physician confirming they are fit to sail. Additionally, all guests will be asked if they have been hospitalized in the past two months for or if they have a history of chronic or severe medical conditions. The CDC defines chronic conditions as an illness persisting for a long time or constantly recurring, such as diabetes, heart, kidney or lung disease. Additional severe medical conditions include: suppressed immunity (active cancer, taking steroids) or if the person requires oxygen for any reason. Guests with chronic or severe medical conditions will not be allowed to sail.

Jean - have you noticed that all comments about another media site have been removed?

"The FCO advises British people against all non-essential travel worldwide until at least 15 April."

I have attempted unsuccessfully for several days to get a response from my TA or even access my booking info through their website.  I went on their FB page and DMed a message explaining my struggles to get in touch, asking when P&O would be extending the refund window after its current 12th April as the FCO formally advises British people against non essential travel worldwide until at least 15th April.

I have received a response of sorts acknowledging these points saying they will be trying tomorrow to contact the Business Development Manager to get clarity on this situation, and get back to me.

It is now exactly 14 days until we sail.  Interestingly, I have not received notification from my TA that my tickets are available to collect. 

9 hours ago, AJ28 said:

It is now exactly 14 days until we sail.  Interestingly, I have not received notification from my TA that my tickets are available to collect. 

We're due to sail on 19 April and 03 May.  Our tickets are available to download from CP.  The on-line check in link is even active for 19 April!

I downloaded our tickets for posterity.

I am shocked and flabbergasted by this thread. What are you people talking about cruising for in the near future.

There is very little chance of the current lockdown measures not being extended beyond the date of OP's cruise. Even if they are relaxed going on a cruise in may would be totally irresponsible, and quite honestly P&O and anyone thinking of boarding a ship in May should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves.   

13 minutes ago, funinhounslow said:

125% FCC or cash refund, which you have to apply for. 

Glad the earlier rumours were unfounded...

Applied for my cash refund just now. Be interesting to see if I get my refund by May 29th.

I am aware that I will be told by other posters that I should be demanding payment in 14 days, but in these times I believe a little tolerance is needed.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Applied for my cash refund just now. Be interesting to see if I get my refund by May 29th.

I am aware that I will be told by other posters that I should be demanding payment in 14 days, but in these times I believe a little tolerance is needed.

I agree that tolerance is needed. Getting uptight and demanding payment in 14 days is pointless.

They clearly have a procedure in place.

We were due to sail April 11th. I was notified it was cancelled soon after the statement of cancellations was made. I completed the web refund which acknowledged receipt and said 45 days.

Some days later I received a cancellation notification document, which said I would receive a cancellation invoice which would include cancellation charges but to ignore those. That arrived last week.

So it seems the refund process is in motion.

I still don't understand all the posts about ABTA and FCCs. That may happen but, currently, as far as P&O is concerned, it's 'fake news'.

Edited by jake 26
Typo

33 minutes ago, Trevor Fountain said:

I am shocked and flabbergasted by this thread. What are you people talking about cruising for in the near future.

There is very little chance of the current lockdown measures not being extended beyond the date of OP's cruise. Even if they are relaxed going on a cruise in may would be totally irresponsible, and quite honestly P&O and anyone thinking of boarding a ship in May should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves.   

It's not that we want to cruise then at all, but tell that to P&O who refuses to refund our money even if we've sent them evidence of medical conditions and a doctor's letter saying I'm not to cruise during this outbreak.

• Thanks 1